UTC

Enthusiast
2004 ET4

Enthusiast
@oliver avatar
2004 ET4
UTC quote
Hey pals,
I've got the chrome mirrors from ScooterWest on my ET4 and love the look. I've had them on for a few months and just recently the right mirror worked itself a bit loose (counterclockwise). I pulled it tight but it swung too far forward (clockwise) and now the viewing angle is a bit off. If I back it off to where it used to be/should be, the mirror is loose.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? The right side mirror is just screwed right in with no locking nut or anything to hold it in place (at least on these chrome ones I've got). Any ideas on what to do?

I hope that made sense; any help is appreciated, as always. Thanks all!
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
ET4 mirrors
I have the same mirrors, they were on my scoot when I bought it. The biggest problem on the right mirror is that the nut that came with mine is below the headset cover, so you can not tighten it with a wrench or socket. I'm not sure if the nut from the stock mirror that comes above the headset will fit on the chrome mirrors or not. But if it does you back off the nut all the way to the top of the mirror then twist the mirror in place a few turns and get it where you want it and then tighten the nut down to hold it in place. If the nut from the stock mirror does not fit then screw the mirror in place leaving it a bit forward then tighten the nut down as far as you can, use a screw driver to turn (push) the nut inside the headset. Then pull the mirror toward you to make the final fit. You really need to play with it to get it just right.

Tim

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
OP
@oliver avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2004 ET4

Enthusiast
@oliver avatar
2004 ET4
UTC quote
Thanks Tim!
Thanks Tim, I read your post and got it all set now.
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
Sweet
Glad I could help. Which way worked for you ? I love the looks of the chrome mirrors but they were not wide enough to be useful for me. but I may put them back on anyway.

Tim
OP
@oliver avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2004 ET4

Enthusiast
@oliver avatar
2004 ET4
UTC quote
Mirrors
The Eureka moment was when I found the nut that came with the stems. Originally I just had the mirror screwed right in with nothing holding it. I dug up the box the mirrors came in and found the nut I had originally overlooked or misplaced.

I threaded a nut on the mirror, then put the metal sleeve on the stem, then screwed the whole thing in place. I positioned the mirror where I wanted it and tightened down the nut, which was not quite flush with the hole/opening. The black rubber piece covered the nut up perfectly though. Thanks again for your help.
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
Thanks right back at ya
Like I said in the beginning. I bought my ET4 used and it already had the chrome mirrors on it. I had trouble with the right mirror because the nut was below the headset. I did not have the metal sleeve which I can probably get at Home Depot, it makes so much sense to me now So my quest for slightly wider chrome mirrors is back on. I've got to revisit the post I had up earlier LX mirrors

Thanks Oliver,
Tim
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0273s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0038s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]