OP
UTC

Enthusiast
et2 70cc kit

Enthusiast
et2 70cc kit
UTC quote
Hi All,

Glad to join the vespa gang! I bought a well used et250 with the 70cc malossi kit already installed.

I know almost nothing about vespas and all i know has been from this forum and wikipedia the past week.

few Qs,

the bike has 16 000km on it and i am wondering how used this is? when i bought it it didnt seem high but all other Vespas for sale on craigslist have around 2500-5000km but are all about 1000$ cad more than what i paid ( 2200 cad). is that a high mileage? or will i get lots more life out if it?

also the exhaust is stock and has a fair bit of surface rust, is this normal? the previous owner used this bike a lot and there is body damage on the plastic bits which I will likely replace, but is the exhaust rust a big deal?

The bike is AWESOME and i just want to get a lot of use out if it and cherish it since its so fun to ride and i dont want it to get any older ahah.

thanks lot!

AM
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
High mileage is 60,000 miles...

When was it first used? I'm not concerned about model year, that's eff-all to do with reality.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
et2 70cc kit

Enthusiast
et2 70cc kit
UTC quote
its a 2005 in red, ( rosso red) , im the thrid owner now, not sure when first used, it was bought in 04 according to service records.

Dumb question now: if the speedo displays speed in km/h does that mean odometer is also in km?

also, should a vespa dealer have touch up paint? the bike appears to have been dropped and there is a fair bit of scratches on the metal bits.

I want to get the bike into new like condition, its my new baby ehehe

( also, why did they have to stop makign the et2? i love the looks and the peppy engine is great! gas usage is high, but a fun beast she is!)

anyone deal with scooterwest.com? im wanting to get some new chrome body panels from them.

thanks all!

AM
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
ET2NEWBIE wrote:
its a 2005 in red, ( rosso red) , im the thrid owner now, not sure when first used, it was bought in 04 according to service records.

Dumb question now: if the speedo displays speed in km/h does that mean odometer is also in km?

also, should a vespa dealer have touch up paint? the bike appears to have been dropped and there is a fair bit of scratches on the metal bits.

I want to get the bike into new like condition, its my new baby ehehe

( also, why did they have to stop makign the et2? i love the looks and the peppy engine is great! gas usage is high, but a fun beast she is!)

anyone deal with scooterwest.com? im wanting to get some new chrome body panels from them.

thanks all!

AM
Welcome! I love my ET2. scooterwest, also known as motorsport scooters is excellent. Max from motorsport is a member on this forum and is always helpful with questions.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
et2 70cc kit

Enthusiast
et2 70cc kit
UTC quote
awesome! thanks, i feel as if i should have declared its value a bit higer when i insured it, i claimed it at 2500, but all the et2s on C-list in van go for over 3k ( not many for sale though). its a shame they dont make the 2 strokes anymore.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Well that is pretty significant mileage for a kitted 2 stroke IMO. On the other hand, the 50cc 2 stroke engine is not hard to rebuild. You will probably enjoy doing a rebuild or installing a different kit when the time comes.

Touch up paint is available from Vespa but is expensive - and often doesn't match older paint all that well. It may be simpler to have a local auto paint shop scan a panel of your scoot and make you up a pint of matching paint or even a spray can as you prefer.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
et2 70cc kit

Enthusiast
et2 70cc kit
UTC quote
9000 miles (16000 km) high for a kitted engine?

does the 70cc kit put a lot more strain on a 50cc engine?

from what i can tell what the kits do it doesnt seem like its NOS where more power is put into a stock engine, the kit alters the important engine bits, isnt ht eengine also beefed up?
@scootergator avatar
UTC

Hooked
RH50, (borrowed) GTS 250 Super

Hooked
@scootergator avatar
RH50, (borrowed) GTS 250 Super
UTC quote
Youre increasing the engine size to 70 cc so a new performance crankshaft could be a good idea. There are tons of them on SIP scootershop.

Im really excited for you.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
ET2NEWBIE wrote:
9000 miles (16000 km) high for a kitted engine?

does the 70cc kit put a lot more strain on a 50cc engine?
I don't think 9,000 miles is too much on your scooter, don't worry. Plus, you don't know how many miles are on the kit - it could have gone 4,000 miles or more before someone decided to pop that on.

The crank bearings and such will get more strain under the increased power, but I think you should have good longevity on your engine. I am surprised the exhaust is stock... seems like that would restrict some of the benefit of the 70cc.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
et2 70cc kit

Enthusiast
et2 70cc kit
UTC quote
so looking at the service records indicate that the first owner had the 70cc malossi kit installed after 6600km ( so ya after 4000miles ahha), so the bike currently has about 10 000 km with the kit on.

All the other et2s in the area with lower mileage go for 3500$ ish with no mods, so maybe a bit of a higher mileage but with engine mods and also with decent maintence done aint so bad.

Theres an auto shop nearby i should go in and ask about paint!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0115s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0028s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]