UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
175mws wrote:
are the patchs only for mile that were put on riding a Vespa Scooter or can we combine the miles from other motorcycles?
They are whatever you want them to be. If you want them to be miles you've ridden on a scooter, or a bicycle, or a motorcycle, or even in kilometers... it's up to you.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
there is nothing similar between a modern and a classic
other then being scooters, saying that they are being exclusive would be like saying BMW club owners are being exclusive, or women are being exclusive when they don't let you in the same public bathroom.
I am sure that they will let you go and look at their classics and doubt that anyone would give a rats ass if you showed up with your modern just like the BMW club could care less if you showed up in your Corolla just to have a look, or tag along behind for the ride, because you were interested and enjoy sucking up a bunch of two stroke fumes.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Just on one bike, I'd have thought, otherwise I'd want a 200,000 mile thingy. Most I've ever done on just one (X9 500) so far was 30,000 miles. Both the Fuoco and the GP800 are catching up - both over 26,000 miles at the moment.
@cipote avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Current: 1976 150 Sprint V Previous: VS5 GS 150, 1974 Rally 200, 2005 GT 200

Molto Verboso
@cipote avatar
UTC quote
Re: Why has the San Francisco Rally turned into Vintage only
erich51 wrote:
I missed last years SF scooter rally and now it looks like Vintage Scooters
only. Is there anyone here that is upset at not being allowed to ride in
their rally with a Modern Vespa? I am PISSED...
Don't sweat it. Go to Scooter Rage 24 instead http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=121270544551451 and there's a link for more info in the MV Rally section as well.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Just on one bike, I'd have thought, otherwise I'd want a 200,000 mile thingy. Most I've ever done on just one (X9 500) so far was 30,000 miles. Both the Fuoco and the GP800 are catching up - both over 26,000 miles at the moment.
It's about the rider, not the bike. The bike already has an odometer.

As an example, BMW will give you a mileage award for mileage ridden on BMW bikes. It doesn't matter how many, as long as you have some way to document (via service records, etc) that you rode that many miles on some combination of BMWs.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
As an example, BMW will give you a mileage award for mileage ridden on BMW bikes. It doesn't matter how many, as long as you have some way to document (via service records, etc) that you rode that many miles on some combination of BMWs.
That's kinda fun, what's the award?
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Re: there is nothing similar between a modern and a classic
ooglywoogly wrote:
I am sure that they will let you go and look at their classics and doubt that anyone would give a rats ass if you showed up with your modern
They do mind, actually. They don't want modern bikes parking anywhere near the vintage bikes, even on public streets.
⚠️ Last edited by jess on UTC; edited 1 time
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
xantufrog wrote:
jess wrote:
That's kinda fun, what's the award?
I dunno yet. I think it depends on the miles. One guy is pushing something like 1.4 million miles, and they keep having to invent new awards for him at every 100,000 mile mark.
@stinkyjones avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 244, 2005 BMW F652 CS, 2001 ET4 150

Ossessionato
@stinkyjones avatar
2009 GTV 244, 2005 BMW F652 CS, 2001 ET4 150
UTC quote
jess wrote:
ooglywoogly wrote:
I am sure that they will let you go and look at their classics and doubt that anyone would give a rats ass if you showed up with your modern
They do mind, actually. They don't want modern bikes parking anywhere near the vintage bikes, even on public streets.
Jesus, we don't have enough hate so we have to invent arbitrary reasons to hate.

I'm going to start a club for the specific purpose of hating vintage Vespa owners who hate modern Vespas.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I dunno yet. I think it depends on the miles. One guy is pushing something like 1.4 million miles, and they keep having to invent new awards for him at every 100,000 mile mark.
I wish I had 1.4 million miles under my belt... more like 1.4 million desk chairs under my ass
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Humbug - I'll ride with any sort of bike - not every sort of rider though. Some riders should carry warning stickers...
@bagel avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 Vespa GTS 300, 2007 Vespa GTS 250, 2007 Vespa GTV, 2010 Stella 4T #3, and a bunch of broke down vintage scoots

Ossessionato
@bagel avatar
2010 Vespa GTS 300, 2007 Vespa GTS 250, 2007 Vespa GTV, 2010 Stella 4T #3, and a bunch of broke down vintage scoots
UTC quote
stinkyjones wrote:
jess wrote:
ooglywoogly wrote:
Jesus, we don't have enough hate so we have to invent arbitrary reasons to hate.

I'm going to start a club for the specific purpose of hating vintage Vespa owners who hate modern Vespas.
Oh FFS... just ignore them, that's what I do. To return the hate is only to lower yourself to the same ignorant level and it will do nothing to curb such idiocy, in fact it will do quite the opposite and only make things worse.

To me, it sucks because I really like the guys (and gal) in the club that's putting on the rally. I just think it's an abysmally stupid idea to put on a scooter rally that's open to the public, yet exclude people who love scooters of any kind. If you want to have a rally to celebrate vintage scooters, or a show to give awards to the best vintage scooters, there's nothing wrong with that, but that's no reason to tell people not to show up on a modern scooter, or tell them that they can't park outside the club, or they can't join the ride, or bill the rally as "vintage only". How the hell are you going to get new, young people interested in vintage bikes if you automatically exclude everyone who doesn't already have one? It's an incredibly shortsighted and self-defeating move IMHO, which will ultimately kill any sense of camaraderie within the scooter scene as a whole, the longer that BS is perpetrated.

The whole purpose of having a "scene" is to bring people together who have similar interests, who can share their stories, experiences and have fun together. To drive people away because they don't fit your idea of what the "scene" is supposed to be is only going to foster resentment, ill will and create division between people who might actually enjoy each others company, if such petty drama weren't constantly stoked by intolerant people. And to think that this kind of mindset is being perpetrated by people who were so adamant about fighting against prejudice and racism back in the day just makes my head spin.
@bagel avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bagel avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Humbug - I'll ride with any sort of bike - not every sort of rider though. Some riders should carry warning stickers...
True... it's one thing to tell someone to get some more practice under their belt before joining group rides, so that they're not a danger to themselves and others. Likewise, there are some people who are just plain assholes who aren't welcome because of their extremely negative attitudes or actions. However, those should be handled on a case by case basis and should never serve to draw general distinctions between whole groups, i.e., vintage vs. modern, auto vs. manual, plastic vs. metal, old vs. new, etc.
@inkslinger42 avatar
UTC

Gimp
'07 GTV , '08 Stella

Gimp
@inkslinger42 avatar
'07 GTV , '08 Stella
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
aww, Jim! I'm flattered. but I DO come with a warning sticker--my Bastard name is trouble.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Methinks you'd be just fine.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
bagel wrote:
To return the hate is only to lower yourself to the same ignorant level and it will do nothing to curb such idiocy, in fact it will do quite the opposite and only make things worse.
Agreed. It's far more constructive to build the scene that we want, rather than try to force the hard-core xenophobes to accept our presence at their party. I don't especially want to go to their party, and am quite content to watch them dwindle out of existence as a result of their own myopia.
@bosco avatar
UTC

Drift Unit SC

Drift Unit SC
@bosco avatar
UTC quote
Facepalm emoticon

seems to be a lot of these threads
@gbaby avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Modern Primavera (not pictured); Moto Guzzi V-85 TT

Molto Verboso
@gbaby avatar
Modern Primavera (not pictured); Moto Guzzi V-85 TT
UTC quote
bosco wrote:
Facepalm emoticon

...because it matters to a lot of us.
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
jess wrote:
bagel wrote:
To return the hate is only to lower yourself to the same ignorant level and it will do nothing to curb such idiocy, in fact it will do quite the opposite and only make things worse.
Agreed. It's far more constructive to build the scene that we want, rather than try to force the hard-core xenophobes to accept our presence at their party. I don't especially want to go to their party, and am quite content to watch them dwindle out of existence as a result of their own myopia.
Yes what he said I agree.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
bosco wrote:
Facepalm emoticon

It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that people on both sides get pretty riled up. After spending years being one of those people, I'm pretty much over it, and am ready to move on to doing something more constructive: building a scene that's focused more on riding and the adventure that comes with that focus.

Getting out and seeing the countryside by scooter is, for me, an extremely compelling activity. The existing scene doesn't seem nearly as compelling or relevant to me anymore.
UTC

Molto Verboso
PX200E X 2

Molto Verboso
PX200E X 2
UTC quote
I love my shifter bikes but there is not a damn thing wrong with modern automatics, we do a monthly ride and a couple of the vintage guys dont want to ride with MVs and buddys, we have a blast just the same
@eight avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Dragon Red LX 150 "Lucia"

Hooked
@eight avatar
2009 Dragon Red LX 150 "Lucia"
UTC quote
I have no emotional investment in the situation, but it's Thursday, so I might as well open my mouth.

No matter where, no matter what, some people enjoy being turds in the swimming pool.

Because they're turds, not because they enjoy swimming.
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie
UTC quote
I think what made Amerivespa so great for me was that it was all kinds of people and all kinds of scooters. There were people and scooters of all different ages and nationalities. There were even motorcycles. People were just having fun enjoying themselves. Not once did I hear that someone should not have been allowed because of who they were or what they rode. It was like a little hippy scooter lovefest
@cipote avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@cipote avatar
UTC quote
First off it sucks to feel excluded, but I've been thinking about this as it relates to the Northern California- Bay Area scooter scene. What I mean is that we have a very large scene compared to much of the US and we have a lot of rallies and rides, most of which are "open class (Modern/Vintage/Non-Italian, etc...)" For instance from the top of my head we have:

January- The Big Wet One, SF (open)
March, Rides Of March , SLO (open)
March/April- Scootouring, Sacramento (open)
March/April- Head to the Hills, Oakland (open)
April- LALO (Lambretta Only)
April- Mods n' Rockers (open)
May- MotoClassico, Los Gatos (open)
Spring time- Scooter Rosa, Santa Rosa (open)
June-Scooter Rage (open)
July/ August- SF Classic (Vintage Only)
Summer- Lake Tahoe Rally by Royal Bastards (open)
September- Worshiping the Beast, Sacramento (open)
September- So Far So Good, SF (open)
September/Fall- Santa Cruz Vampires (vintage[?])

So by my rough count we have 14 regularly occurring events and only 3 of them are exclusive. Given that, I think we would be better served focusing on the bigger issues which in my opinion are:

1) Lack of diversity in the rally attendance (women are showing up more, which is great, but most of the rallies don't reflect the demographic mix of the Bay Area)
2) Lack of young people
3) Why are the majority of the events sponsored and run by clubs with 12 plus years under their belt, for the most part? You newer riders/ clubs need to step up and holding a "club ride" or leading a one off Sunday morning ride ain't the same thing. Be creative, lock up a weekend, book the venues, the bands, the DJ, the rides, whatever, you've got the talent now put it to use.
@stanny avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200L Graphite Black

Molto Verboso
@stanny avatar
2007 GT200L Graphite Black
UTC quote
soniam wrote:
I think what made Amerivespa so great for me was that it was all kinds of people and all kinds of scooters. There were people and scooters of all different ages and nationalities. There were even motorcycles. People were just having fun enjoying themselves. Not once did I hear that someone should not have been allowed because of who they were or what they rode. It was like a little hippy scooter lovefest
+1
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
jess wrote:
bosco wrote:
Facepalm emoticon

It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that people on both sides get pretty riled up. After spending years being one of those people, I'm pretty much over it, and am ready to move on to doing something more constructive: building a scene that's focused more on riding and the adventure that comes with that focus.

Getting out and seeing the countryside by scooter is, for me, an extremely compelling activity. The existing scene doesn't seem nearly as compelling or relevant to me anymore.
Well said. Thats been my focus as well.
@pinksteel avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Cortina Grey GTS 250ie; 2001 Pearl White ET4

Hooked
@pinksteel avatar
2009 Cortina Grey GTS 250ie; 2001 Pearl White ET4
UTC quote
Like Bagel, I say f'em. Instead, I think you should join us Bastards on our Rally just a liiiitle bit north of SF. We will not judge...Bastards are all about the kinship and the ride. Two wheels or three, grab your keys, put on that helmet and get your ass out one there![/quote]

"In all naked honesty" God, I love that ...however, really want to know...what is the RBSC really all about ?
I understand that the club has had national interest and many inquiries to expand chapters beyond it legacy footprint - but doesn't much embrace so called outsiders or expansion too much which seems in conflict with kinship - more specificly your described 'we don't judge' thing

Not at all crapping on the Bastards - just trying to understand 'form versus substance' from a club and vibe perspective
⚠️ Last edited by Pinksteel on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@erich51 avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW

Banned
@erich51 avatar
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW
UTC quote
Rasoldier wrote:
hey erich... i recently got a courtesy call from Rockridge Two Wheels in Oakland , they are combining with the Vespa walnut creek store and are having a ride down to sunol this saturday...check out more info here...under their events tag. http://www.rockridgetwowheels.com/ maybe you can call them up for more info.
I just signed up on their guest book.
Thanks for the hot link. 8)
OP
@erich51 avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW

Banned
@erich51 avatar
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW
UTC quote
About the GPS
I wouldn't need to GPS to be working when
I go for a ride, Then when I need gas I
would punch in Gas Station and it would find
me a gas station. Razz emoticon
@inkslinger42 avatar
UTC

Gimp
'07 GTV , '08 Stella

Gimp
@inkslinger42 avatar
'07 GTV , '08 Stella
UTC quote
cipote wrote:
I think we would be better served focusing on the bigger issues which in my opinion are:

1) Lack of diversity in the rally attendance (women are showing up more, which is great, but most of the rallies don't reflect the demographic mix of the Bay Area)
2) Lack of young people
3) Why are the majority of the events sponsored and run by clubs with 12 plus years under their belt, for the most part? You newer riders/ clubs need to step up and holding a "club ride" or leading a one off Sunday morning ride ain't the same thing. Be creative, lock up a weekend, book the venues, the bands, the DJ, the rides, whatever, you've got the talent now put it to use.
Recalling my own experience, and narrow inclusion, I find each of the 3 exclusive events have been created only in the last 5-ish years. Had it not been for SFSG's "ANY GIRL, ANY SCOOTER" motto, I would have never gotten onto the scene. I was 22, female and knew nobody with a scoot. My lack of knowledge led me to a group I felt I had at least gender in common with. And that worked well. I was the youngest one by several years, but youthful arrogance gave me the hutzpah to show up for rides and rallies. It's also led me to creating a small "splinter group" with a totally generic name that is sort of a pool for any sf rider. I agree, newer riders need to do more for the community, but I do with that the established clubs would reach out to "free" riders and teach them how to do it. I don't do more ride leads becuase it's a lot of work and I'm not that organized!
That said, if anyone does it, I'll totally be there to support them!
UTC

Vespa LX 150

Vespa LX 150
UTC quote
erich51 wrote:
Rasoldier wrote:
hey erich... i recently got a courtesy call from Rockridge Two Wheels in Oakland , they are combining with the Vespa walnut creek store and are having a ride down to sunol this saturday...check out more info here...under their events tag. http://www.rockridgetwowheels.com/ maybe you can call them up for more info.
I just signed up on their guest book.
Thanks for the hot link. 8)
np. have fun! let us know how it goes...i'll be busy this sat.
@crackhead avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Aprilia Sportcity Cube 250ie, Stella 2T

Ossessionato
@crackhead avatar
Aprilia Sportcity Cube 250ie, Stella 2T
UTC quote
Pinksteel wrote:
Like Bagel, I say f'em. Instead, I think you should join us Bastards on our Rally just a liiiitle bit north of SF. We will not judge...Bastards are all about the kinship and the ride. Two wheels or three, grab your keys, put on that helmet and get your ass out one there!

"In all naked honesty" God, I love that ...however, really want to know...what is the RBSC really all about ?
I understand that the club has had national interest and many inquiries to expand chapters beyond it legacy footprint - but doesn't much embrace so called outsiders or expansion too much which seems in conflict with kinship - more specificly your described 'we don't judge' thing

Not at all crapping on the Bastards - just trying to understand 'form versus substance' from a club and vibe perspective
This thead is about why the SF Classic is all vintage. I don't see the point in turning it into a discussion about the RBSC, who, btw have inclusive rides and rallies everytime. I would suggest that anyone who has questions go to the RBSC forum and ask them there. Someone will be happy to answer. http://www.royalbastardsscooterclub.com/forum/index.php

Respectfully submitted.
@e avatar
UTC

Hooked
All of the good ones at least once, some twice.

Hooked
@e avatar
All of the good ones at least once, some twice.
UTC quote
There's lame people on both sides of the argument, and loudmouths on both sides who get taken as being the voice of everyone.

It used to be that all scooter clubs were vintage de facto, because there were no scooter enthusiasts on new scooters, because there weren't any new scooters to ride, so of course "vintage only" events have sprung up over the past 5 years, so have new scooters.

If you were a stamp collector for 20+ years (or baseball card collector), then all of a sudden POGS (or Magic the Gathering) started taking over all the stamp (or card) conventions, you'd probably get a lot of pissed old farts that don't want a bunch of kids running around screaming and flicking POGS (or flinging fireballs) at each other. They're both little pieces of supposedly collectible paper, so the people that collect them are all the same and want to hang out together right?

Both crowds think they're tool cool for school. Give it up and do your own thing if you have a problem. If there's a vintage only rally, SHOW SOME RESPECT if you really are a scooter enthusiast, you'll understand the differences, park your bike outside the show area, and walk in and enjoy the vintage bikes, if you're not, then STAY AWAY AND DON'T COMPLAIN. There's only an issue when you create it.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@bosco avatar
UTC

Drift Unit SC

Drift Unit SC
@bosco avatar
UTC quote
e wrote:
There's lame people on both sides of the argument, and loudmouths on both sides who get taken as being the voice of everyone.

It used to be that all scooter clubs were vintage de facto, because there were no scooter enthusiasts on new scooters, because there weren't any new scooters to ride, so of course "vintage only" events have sprung up over the past 5 years, so have new scooters.

If you were a stamp collector for 20+ years (or baseball card collector), then all of a sudden POGS (or Magic the Gathering) started taking over all the stamp (or card) conventions, you'd probably get a lot of pissed old farts that don't want a bunch of kids running around screaming and flicking POGS (or flinging fireballs) at each other. They're both little pieces of supposedly collectible paper, so the people that collect them are all the same and want to hang out together right?

Both crowds think they're tool cool for school. Give it up and do your own thing if you have a problem. If there's a vintage only rally, SHOW SOME RESPECT if you really are a scooter enthusiast, you'll understand the differences, park your bike outside the show area, and walk in and enjoy the vintage bikes, if you're not, then STAY AWAY AND DON'T COMPLAIN. There's only an issue when you create it.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
eric -
nice pt cruiser.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
e wrote:
And you've just proved your own point by rehashing the same lame argument you've been spouting for years.

The general consensus here (among those weighing in) seems to be "The vintage rallies can do whatever they want". We're in violent agreement. Let's move on, already.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I'm pretty much over it, and am ready to move on to doing something more constructive: building a scene that's focused more on riding and the adventure that comes with that focus.

Getting out and seeing the countryside by scooter is, for me, an extremely compelling activity.
Yes!
Yes, yes, yes!
I'm soooo glad if more folks are starting to see it this way
@bagel avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bagel avatar
UTC quote
cipote wrote:
I think we would be better served focusing on the bigger issues which in my opinion are:

You have a point, though I'd be willing to bet that our group of scooterists in the Bay Area is probably more diverse than a lot of other places in the US. I don't know why we don't attract more Latinos/Latinas, African-Americans, although I do know quite a few Asian people who are into scooters. But what shocks me the most is that I can't think of a single Indian or Pakistani person who rides a scooter in all of the Bay Area, I would expect we'd have at least a few who loved riding scooters back home, who'd be interested in riding here too. I've had so many Indian and Pakistani people come up and talk to me about my scooter, and tell me about how they rode scooters back home, but it doesn't seem that like even one of them wants to ride one here. Oh well...
cipote wrote:
2) Lack of young people
Indeed, though I have seen some young-ish people getting interested in scooters recently. Not a whole lot, but there have been a few. I wouldn't mind seeing more though... to borrow a theme from another thread, perhaps Piaggio ought to step up their marketing efforts toward that crowd?
cipote wrote:
Well, I guess that's because the clubs who have been able to make the effort to keep these rallies going have survived. But there have been other clubs and rallies that have gone the way of the dodo over the years too. RBSC has only been around a few years, but they do organize multiple rallies around the country each year, where members come together and put it on, and they usually do a kick ass job from what I've seen. It is tough for a new group to figure out how to put on a rally when they haven't done so before, but it's just a matter of planning and then following through, so any club that's motivated enough can do it. Mistakes may be made at first, but as long as you learn from them, that'll help make next year's rally that much better. After doing it for a number of years, you get the hang of it and you develop a system that proves to be successful.
e wrote:

[...]

Well, you can't really say that all clubs or rallies were vintage just because that's all there was. In fact, I remember back in the day there was a good bit of snobbery between people who rode pre-1978 Vespas and those who rode P's, which were viewed as the ugly modern bikes that didn't have any soul. "P2Common" they used to be called. Apparently those bikes are now more than welcome in vintage circles, so what has changed? Nothing changed about the bikes, they're still the same dorky P's with straight lines and hard angles, but people have dropped their prejudice about them and made the conscious choice to accept them as scooters, and accept the people who ride them, because the truth was that they had much more in common than they had differences between them. Although there is undoubtedly a greater difference in technology between vintage Vespas and modern Vespas (after all, there is a 15 year gap between them), I would say that there is still much more that we have in common than what separates us. Aside from the arbitrary divisions that some people create within their own minds, that is.

e, it's not just a matter of parking the modern Vespas outside and oohing and aahing over shiny old bikes inside. If that were all it was, this wouldn't even be an issue. But the fact is that people are being told to stay away entirely if they don't have a vintage bike. People are being told that they can't ride with the group at all unless they're on a vintage bike. People are told they can't drink at the bar if they didn't ride to the rally on a vintage bike. That's the kind of shit I'm talking about that has to end. In those cases, non-vintage riders aren't even given a chance to appreciate the vintage bikes, so how exactly is that going to promote interest in them? Without an influx of new people, interest in the vintage bikes is only going to wither away over time. Relatively few people make the jump from modern to vintage as is, while many more people make the jump from vintage to modern, and some of them never go back, in part due to the fact that there are snobs who give them attitude. Who can blame them? My point is that the "vintage only" crowd are only serving to kill their "scene" with their discriminatory and exclusive attitude. That's where the issue starts, not with the people who are upset by it. Suggesting otherwise is sort of like blaming the victim here, no?

If a group wants to have a rally, or a ride, or a show to celebrate classic scooters, that's one thing and I have no problem with that at all. I love vintage bikes and own several of them. However, going to the extreme by banning people on modern bikes from even attending and calling it a "vintage only" event is just plain bullshit, IMHO. Doing so is only going to hurt your chances for having a successful rally and cut yourself off from the rest of the scooter community, many of who actually do appreciate vintage bikes even if they don't own or ride them.

Now I will say that there are people on both sides who have stoked discord, who aren't without fault in this flap. Anyone who seeks to divide the scooter scene is in the wrong from my point of view. Unfortunately, I've come to the realization that there are certain people who, due to some personal shortcoming or deficiency, absolutely have to have some kind of drama in their lives. Maybe they feel like their lives are empty and meaningless without it, I don't know. But that need is so strong that if they can't find drama, they'll go to extraordinary lengths to create it. Sadly, this often affects good people who don't deserve to be dragged down by such crap, and frequently this only serves to drive them away. Now the overall scooter scene is bigger now than it has been in the nearly 20 years I've been involved, which is a great thing. However, it's also becoming more fractured at the same time; not because of its size, but because there are people who insist on creating divisive drama within it. That only serves to drive new people away and in some cases even some old timers as well. I've seen it happen too many times; it's unfortunate, it's unnecessary and I'm sick of it.

My advice is for everyone to take a good look at your own behavior. Do you exclude entire groups on principle? Do you hold grudges against them for some reason? Do you talk shit about them? If so, maybe you should get over your own ego and just try talking to someone who's different than yourself for a change. Ask about what got them into scooters, what they enjoy about them, what rides or adventures they've been on, and just get to know them as a person. Buy them a drink and make them feel welcome for a change and see what kind of conversation you can strike up. I bet you'll find that you have a lot more in common than you thought. Sure, you may not get along with everybody and certain people might annoy you or rub you the wrong way, but that's no different than if you were walking down the street or riding the bus... just avoid those individuals if you have to. But that's no reason to exclude an entire group of people. And before you shun a certain type of bike, try taking one out for a real ride sometime and take a good look at the things that you can appreciate about it. You just might find that you actually enjoy it and learn to appreciate those unique qualities of that bike.

I'll admit that I was prejudiced against modern Vespas when they first came out, mainly because I missed the feeling of shifting and I was wary of automatic transmissions. Even after having ridden 100 miles on an ET4 and a couple miles on a GT 200, I still wasn't sold. However, once I took a GTS 250 out for 400 miles over a weekend, I finally began to appreciate the good qualities of modern Vespas, and eventually I bought one. Although I would still love to have a modern Vespa with a manual transmission, that thought doesn't make me enjoy riding my GTS any less, because it's still a hell of a lot of fun to ride. And when it comes down to it, isn't that supposed to be what it's all about?
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie
UTC quote
Bagel,

I have a confession to make. I am a bigot towards haters Razz emoticon I can't stand people who hate others. Does that make me bad? Just kiddin' with ya.

I do agree with a lot of what you are saying. Luckily, I am a member of a great scooter club in Austin that has a wide variety of ages and types of people and scoots.
@bagel avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bagel avatar
UTC quote
soniam wrote:
Bagel,

I have a confession to make. I am a bigot towards haters Razz emoticon I can't stand people who hate others. Does that make me bad? Just kiddin' with ya.
LOL! Like I always say, the one thing I just can't stand is intolerance.
@cipote avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@cipote avatar
UTC quote
bagel wrote:
e, it's not just a matter of parking the modern Vespas outside and oohing and aahing over shiny old bikes inside. If that were all it was, this wouldn't even be an issue. But the fact is that people are being told to stay away entirely if they don't have a vintage bike. People are being told that they can't ride with the group at all unless they're on a vintage bike. People are told they can't drink at the bar if they didn't ride to the rally on a vintage bike. That's the kind of shit I'm talking about that has to end.
What's really funny about this, is that I know people show up at these events after driving a car there. They just park around the corner and have the vintage garaged at home.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0329s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0066s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]