OP
UTC

Banned
50cc Black 2009 Honda Ruckus White 2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super

Banned
UTC quote
The store should remain anonymous. I took it in for warranty work because my warranty would run out in a month. I have the floating gas gauge. The store called and said they called Vespa and because I installed a Prima exhaust it void the warranty now.
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Re: warrenty nolonger valid
Scooterhenry wrote:
The store should remain anonymous. I took it in for warranty work because my warranty would run out in a month. I have the floating gas gauge. The store called and said they called Vespa and because I installed a Prima exhaust it void the warranty now.
They can't do that, especially in Md., you have very good auto consumer protection in Md which cover motorcycles too. Call the consumer protection service. They can void the exhaust warranty or even your engine warranty, but there is no way an aftermarket exhaust could effect the gas gauge.
OP
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
The store is not in Md.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Just guessing, but I bet you approached them the wrong way...

There are ways to get dealers onside, and ways to make them notice within seconds that you are the sort of customer they do NOT want to know.

If they still answer your phone calls you may have a slim chance, but do your homework first, especially in your local consumer law.
@scootergator avatar
UTC

Hooked
RH50, (borrowed) GTS 250 Super

Hooked
@scootergator avatar
UTC quote
I always thought that the warranty was a whole and if you did anything it voided it. But the shop should have done the right thing and ignored the pipe IMHO.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
Local shop here says that if they install anything aftermarket, it doesn't violate warranty.
Best
Miguel
OP
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Jimc, what does your comment have to do with anything? You always seem to ruin a topic with a comment. I dropped off my bike, talked a little about scooters with the mechanc, signed a paper and left.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
Local shop here says that if they install anything aftermarket, it doesn't violate warranty.
Best
Miguel
Perhaps it's down to who did the aftermarket installation. I have no aftermarket parts on my ET2, but I know that my shop will install them FOR ME without voiding the warranty. They never said anything about me installing them for myself, as it seems Henry has done. I don't know though, it's just a guess.
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
You should have taken it where you bought it. The dealer you spent good money at is less likely to "notice" something so minor.

I'd take it to a Md dealer and then when Piaggio tells you your warranty is void call the State Attorney Gen and see if they can help get you going in the right direction.
@scootergator avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@scootergator avatar
UTC quote
Scooterhenry wrote:
Jimc, what does your comment have to do with anything? You always seem to ruin a topic with a comment. I dropped off my bike, talked a little about scooters with the mechanc, signed a paper and left.
Hes right dealerships can decide your warranty is void if you pull into the shop over the weight limit. Going to a scooter shop is like going to any other mechanic shop they can decide to bend you over if they want to.

"there were unicorns jumping around in the muffler pipe, punching holes in the flux capacitor"
OP
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
The store I bought if from is no longer in bussines. The nearest Vespa dealer does not do warranty work, so this is the nearest dealer 45 minutes away.
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
warranty work
Scooterhenry wrote:
The store I bought if from is no longer in bussines. The nearest Vespa dealer does not do warranty work, so this is the nearest dealer 45 minutes away.
Next time replace the stock parts before you visit a dealer, also after market is not the same as race/performace parts
@rgconner avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS250

Ossessionato
@rgconner avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
Very simple, go back and have him explain how an exhaust caused the gas gauge problem. It is federal law that he do so or he must fix the problem.

Magnuson-Moss Act:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/keeping-your-mods-warranty-intact.html

Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim - or it proffers a questionable explanation - it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

Failing to have the work done at a Vespa dealer and must use Vespa parts only is bogus as well:

No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty.

(in other words, they can do that if it is completely free service. I think BMW does this as does MBenz)

Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/keeping-your-mods-warranty-intact.html#ixzz0pkzCDwiB

Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/keeping-your-mods-warranty-intact.html#ixzz0pky8WABz
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Title 1, __101-112, 15 U.S.C. __
Here is how the act reads as per the SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association) website (www.sema.org ).

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Title 1, __101-112, 15 U.S.C. __2301 et seq. This act, effective July 4, 1975, is designed to "improve the adequacy of information available to consumers, prevent deception, and improve competition in the marketing of consumer products . . .." The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act applies only to consumer products, which are defined as "any tangible personal property which is distributed in commerce and which is normally used for personal, family, or household purposes (including any such property intended to be attached to or installed in any real property without regard to whether it is so attached or installed)." Under Section 103 of the Act, if a warrantor sells a consumer product costing more than $15 under written warranty, the writing must state the warranty in readily understandable language as determined by standards set forth by the Federal Trade Commission. There is, however, no requirement that a warranty be given nor that any product be warranted for any length of time. Thus the Act only requires that when there is a written warranty, the warrantor clearly disclose the nature of his warranty obligation prior to the sale of the product. The consumer may then compare warranty protection, thus shopping for the "best buy." To further protect the consumer from deception, the Act requires that any written warranty must be labeled as either a "full" or a "limited" warranty. Only warranties that meet the standards of the Act may be labeled as "full." One of the most important provisions of the Act prohibits a warrantor from disclaiming or modifying any implied warranty whenever any written warranty is given or service contract entered into.

This means that, under the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, an automotive dealership/carmaker cannot void your warranty because your vehicle has been modified with aftermarket parts. They (the manufacturers) have to prove that the failure was the direct result of the installed aftermarket part. Unfortunately, too many folks have gone to a dealer to have warranty service performed on their modified vehicle only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states, that because of the aftermarket parts installed, the warranty is void (without even attempting to determine whether or not the aftermarket part caused the problem). This is illegal...period.

Below are illustrations of aftermarket installations that WOULD cause the voiding of a vehicle's warranty.

Example 1:

You install an aftermarket electronic cruise control. While you're driving down the road, the cruise unit develops an internal short causing the accelerator pedal to depress to the floor and over-revving the engine. After this episode the engine develops an engine knock under acceleration or under load. The car is still under warranty so you take it into your local dealer and they determine that the short in the cruise unit over-revved the engine, causing the rod bearings to spin and causing damage to the crankshaft and connecting rods. In this case, your warranty is void because the aftermarket cruise unit caused the engine problem. Not only are you responsible for the engine replacement, the dealer is within his rights to charge you for the diagnosis. Too bad, you lose.

Example 2:

You install an aftermarket air dam system to channel more air to the cold air intake system that you installed. The air dam system causes the vehicle to overheat because it restricts airflow over the radiator. As a result of overheating, the engine blows a head gasket and a cylinder head is warped. The car is still under warranty. You take it to your dealer and they determine that the aftermarket air dam system caused the overheating and thus the cylinder head damage and gasket failure. The carmaker is not obligated to perform any repairs under the provisions of the warranty.

Example 3:

You install a 6' "Personal Snowplow" on your SUV (aftermarket companies are making these plows for smaller trucks). The warranty expressly states that the installation of a snowplow voids all warranty if the vehicle comes in with frame, suspension, steering linkage or any other damage that can be attributed to the plow installation. You go ahead and install the plow anyway. While plowing you drive hard into a snow bank and the air bag deploys. You take it into your dealer and they determine that the airbag deployed because of the hard impact of the plow into the snow bank. But you took the plow off! Yes, but the mounting brackets, winch, and hydraulics are still there, and there is indication of stress to the frame where the plow is mounted. Warranty void! You are left holding the bag (pun intended).
@scootergator avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@scootergator avatar
UTC quote
Conner, thats very interesting thank.
@rgconner avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS250

Ossessionato
@rgconner avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
Re: Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Title 1, __101-112, 15 U.S.C
175mws wrote:
Below are illustrations of aftermarket installations that WOULD cause the voiding of a vehicle's warranty.

And in his case, there is no way an exhaust pipe ruined a gas gauge.

Burnt valve, a "pinged" cylinder, failed oxy sensor, even damage to overheating, sure.

But not a gas gauge.

Neither will installing any part yourself, unless it can be proven you installed it wrong and that caused the issue.

For example, if he installed a Steibel horn and the gauge failed. If a loose/pinched/frayed wire or a short caused it, then fine.

If none of those things happened, then the Steibel and your work is not at fault and they have to replace it unless they can PROVE otherwise.
@atlgts avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250 i.e. "Silver Bullet"

Hooked
@atlgts avatar
UTC quote
I agree with everyone. That's not only utter BS, it's also illegal... I would fight it with them, or call up Vespa, and complain directly to them.
@rgconner avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS250

Ossessionato
@rgconner avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
atlgts wrote:
I agree with everyone. That's not only utter BS, it's also illegal... I would fight it with them, or call up Vespa, and complain directly to them.
The links show you how to file a complaint with the right agencies if being nice about it does not work.

More flies with honey.... but sometimes you need to break out the big guns too.

This is a consumer protection issue that is very clear as to what the law is.
@pinksteel avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Cortina Grey GTS 250ie; 2001 Pearl White ET4

Hooked
@pinksteel avatar
2009 Cortina Grey GTS 250ie; 2001 Pearl White ET4
UTC quote
Scooterhenry wrote:
Increasingly too common. Dealer's continue to attrit and fewer performing choices are available.
@rgconner avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS250

Ossessionato
@rgconner avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
Pinksteel wrote:
Scooterhenry wrote:
Increasingly too common. Dealer's continue to attrit and fewer performing choices are available.
No one is limited to the dealer.
@phuocsandiego avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Former owner of an ET4, GTS 250, BV 500, and Buddy 150

Molto Verboso
@phuocsandiego avatar
Former owner of an ET4, GTS 250, BV 500, and Buddy 150
UTC quote
Please keep us all posted on the outcome here. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that wants to know the outcome.
OP
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
There are 2 more dealers, but ones a Hour and the other is a hour and a half. Both are highway driving witch at this time I will not do on a Scooter. Again the store I bought it at closed down. My local dealer does not do warranty work of any kind so this is the closest store.
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
How can a Vespa Dealer not do warranty work? I would think that was part of having the franchise.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
NightWing wrote:
How can a Vespa Dealer not do warranty work? I would think that was part of having the franchise.
The same question occurred to me. How could you be a factory recognized dealer for Vespa (or any other vehicle) and not accept warranty work?
@telboy1964 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 gts250ie

Enthusiast
@telboy1964 avatar
2007 gts250ie
UTC quote
I would phone the other dealers, and give them all the info. See what they say before you make the journey, and if they can help show up with a couple of bottles of good wine....it always works for me.

Good luck
@scootergator avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@scootergator avatar
UTC quote
They may not be a licensed franchise but instead have a deal with a dealership that provides them with bikes.
@julius_seizure avatar
UTC

Hooked
2003 Piaggio LT150, 2018 Liberty 150S, and Honda Monkey

Hooked
@julius_seizure avatar
UTC quote
It's been my experience that you can educate someone about the law and tell them they are in violation, however it doesn't really matter because they also know that you will do nothing about it except cry and whine.

You only choice to get someone to stop violating the law is to threaten to sue them (but not actually sue them). Just send a FedEx letter, not a phone call or email, informing them that they are in violation of the law and that your only option at this point is to file in small claims court. You will not need to spend the $30 to file because once they read the FedEx'd letter they will frantically call you and have you come over to get your scooter fixed.

In the highly unlikely event they still blow you off, grab a copy of the Nolo Press book on how to file in small claims court from your library.
@rgconner avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS250

Ossessionato
@rgconner avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
Julius Seizure wrote:
It's been my experience that you can educate someone about the law and tell them they are in violation, however it doesn't really matter because they also know that you will do nothing about it except cry and whine.

Except in this case there ARE specific agencies you go to to get relief.

Read the links to find out the process before you make blanket statements that "you will do nothing about it except cry and whine".
@julius_seizure avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@julius_seizure avatar
UTC quote
Sorry about the "cry and whine" reference. I was actually referring to myself whining and crying when I was not paid for work that I did several years ago. Someone told me that small claims court is a simple way to make things right.
OP
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
I called my state attorney and they said theres nothing I can do. What I'M going to do is pay with credit card and dispute it.
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
Scooterhenry wrote:
I called my state attorney and they said theres nothing I can do. What I'M going to do is pay with credit card and dispute it.
Is this the kind of statement you want to make on a public forum? Your intent seems to be defraud the dealer.
@atlgts avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@atlgts avatar
UTC quote
NightWing wrote:
Scooterhenry wrote:
Is this the kind of statement you want to make on a public forum? Your intent seems to be defraud the dealer.
And even if you do it, the credit card company will probably investigate the dispute and find that you are in thw wrong, and reject your dispute, so you'll end up having to pay after all. Oh yeah, that, and it's FRAUD!
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Julius Seizure wrote:

You only choice to get someone to stop violating the law is to threaten to sue them (but not actually sue them). Just send a FedEx letter, not a phone call or email, informing them that they are in violation of the law and that your only option at this point is to file in small claims court. You will not need to spend the $30 to file because once they read the FedEx'd letter they will frantically call you and have you come over to get your scooter fixed.

In the highly unlikely event they still blow you off, grab a copy of the Nolo Press book on how to file in small claims court from your library.
Henry, Julius Seizure gave you some excellent advice. You can easily pursue this yourself. Why don't you try what he suggested and if that doesn't work, you can easily file a claim in small claims court. Just print out and take the information to small claims court with you that has already been provided to you by several posters and you are likely to prevail. The law is heavily slanted on your side with this matter.

If you pay the dealer to do the work and then contest the bill, you may be asking for more trouble than you want to deal with.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Scooterhenry wrote:
This was meant as a joke right?
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Personally, I would try to persuade them to cover it under the warranty
or I would pay them out of pocket to do it
or I would just record the gas mileage instead of depending on the gas gage (which what I do, anyway)

This is a relatively minor thing--if you piss them off now,
what are you going to do when you have a serious mechanical problem?
@dougl avatar
UTC

El Macho
KTM Super Duke 1290, Vespa GTS 300

El Macho
@dougl avatar
KTM Super Duke 1290, Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
This is a well known warranty issue. You have the magnus whatever act to back you up. Sue them via small claims. That is good advice. The onus is on them to prove that your exhaust has caused the fuel sender issue. Which they will not be able to do.
⚠️ Last edited by DougL on UTC; edited 1 time
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Pinksteel wrote:
Scooterhenry wrote:
Actually they are restructuring and moving the sales and service to one building.
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
Re: Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Title 1, __101-112, 15 U.S.C
rgconner wrote:
175mws wrote:

And in his case, there is no way an exhaust pipe ruined a gas gauge.

Burnt valve, a "pinged" cylinder, failed oxy sensor, even damage to overheating, sure.

But not a gas gauge.

Neither will installing any part yourself, unless it can be proven you installed it wrong and that caused the issue.

For example, if he installed a Steibel horn and the gauge failed. If a loose/pinched/frayed wire or a short caused it, then fine.

If none of those things happened, then the Steibel and your work is not at fault and they have to replace it unless they can PROVE otherwise.
Very true
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0235s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0062s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]