OP
@janik avatar
UTC

2010 GTS 250

@janik avatar
2010 GTS 250
UTC quote
After riding in rain for a couple of minutes, water from the bottom of the windshield (the large Vespa one) starts dripping into my lap . I was thinking of taking some tube, making a cut in it, and putting it over the edge starting from the steering column end, so that the outer end would continue down and out when the edge goes up.

The drips from the windshield would hopefully go all the way to the edge instead of making me wet. With the right kind of tube, you could take it off when it's shining, and keep it in your pet carrier with your rain pants.

One second, I'll make a shitty drawing...

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

The red thing on the top right is a cross section of the tube (which would obviously be clear in real life). On the bottom of the windshield you can see, where it'd go.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Did it work at all? Can you believe I am not a professional artist or illustrator?
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
I had something similar happen the first time I rode in the rain with my huge Vespa screen. Except the drops were falling on me from the outside edges, before the curve down towards the handlebars. To be fair, it was one of those extremely shitty days with half rain, half mist, so it probably would have happened regardless of what kind of screen I had. I did think it was an odd place for the droplets to fly off of.

The GTV's large OEM screen curves down under the headset though, so no chance of the exact same scenario as your GTS's. Sounds like you've got a decent solution if you can make it work right!
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
It's not much help during the summer,
but you can avoid this problem in cold rain
by fastening a lap blanket to your scooter
UTC

Hooked
07 Genuine Buddy 125 and 09 Sym RV250

Hooked
07 Genuine Buddy 125 and 09 Sym RV250
UTC quote
I have a corazzo lap apron (scooter skirt) that I use all the time when it is raining, it is easy to put on, easy to take off, keeps me dry and is not uncomfortable at all.

Just make sure you have the thing up around your waist and tucked inside your jacket is best (I let someone try mine on and losened the waist and did not tighten it back up again for the next use, because I did not put it UNDER my jacket the water dripped off of my jacket and down UNDER the scooter skirt and I arrived at work with wet pants).

-v
@oultondave avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Blue 70th anniversary Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
@oultondave avatar
Blue 70th anniversary Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Seems a good solution however the one flaw I can see is that where is the water going to go when it gets to the end of the channel? From your drawing it looks as though it'll drip off and when the wind catches it , it'll blow back onto your body or legs so you may get just as wet but in different areas!
@grscum avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 BMW G650GS, 2006 GTS,

Ossessionato
@grscum avatar
UTC quote
not to burst anyones bubble, but hey, you get wet when it rains!
OP
@janik avatar
UTC

2010 GTS 250

@janik avatar
2010 GTS 250
UTC quote
Oultondave wrote:
Seems a good solution however the one flaw I can see is that where is the water going to go when it gets to the end of the channel? From your drawing it looks as though it'll drip off and when the wind catches it , it'll blow back onto your body or legs so you may get just as wet but in different areas!
Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll think about these kinds of skirts in the fall - at the moment my mind is occupied with the other kind.

I tried to visualise the airflow, and I think you could get the drops to go past you in the sidestream.

Maybe I'll just have to get some hose, and prepare one side. Then when it rains, I'll put on light trousers, and we'll see if there's a difference.
@grscum avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grscum avatar
UTC quote
Oh, I just noticed you are in Finland. I was just in Salo again a few weeks ago, and it seemed like riding season had started! This was my first trip in the spring, so I really have never seen the place with sunlight and no snow. The streets were filled with scooters and motards, even in the rain.
@big_foot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Scooterless at the moment

Ossessionato
@big_foot avatar
Scooterless at the moment
UTC quote
With my Mod Vespa screen I usually get the water flying up into my face.

OP
@janik avatar
UTC

2010 GTS 250

@janik avatar
2010 GTS 250
UTC quote
grscum wrote:
Oh, I just noticed you are in Finland. I was just in Salo again a few weeks ago, and it seemed like riding season had started! This was my first trip in the spring, so I really have never seen the place with sunlight and no snow. The streets were filled with scooters and motards, even in the rain.
Yes, the so called moped scooters (50 cc, restricted to I think 45 km/h, 15 years old to ride, relatively cheap to insure, can be parked like a bicycle) are very popular. Anything over that you need a motorcycle license for, and is therefor rarer.

The sunny evenings in the summer are fantastic. You literally can't even see the beam of your headlight until after 11 p.m. or so. And it's just getting lighter.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0111s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0016s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]