OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Hi I am looking for some general advice I have finally accepted that I cant afford a new scooter so have started to look at the 2nd hand market - I am considering a 10 yr old Vespa ET4 but have no idea what the to expect in terms of maintenance costs would be really grateful for advice? Asking price is £650 which looked about standard and I am not sure of the mileage.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Maintenance is not that expensive if you do the work yourself. Every 4,000 miles you'll be needing oil and oil filter, every 8,000 or so a new belt and possibly rollers, then it's just brake pads and tyres (plus any other odds and ends). Tyres are cheapest if you take the wheels off yourself, and get a dealer to supply and mount the tyres.

When buying, ensure you get the brown master key as well as the blue normal service key. This is of primary importance!
UTC

Hooked
1998 ET4

Hooked
1998 ET4
UTC quote
I bought my 1998 ET4 last september for £560. I had to replace the throttle cable around Christmas time after it snapped, a second hand one was £12 from ebay. Other than that, it has cost nothing in maintenance. So it's quite possible for an old scooter to be as cheap to run as a new one. Oh, I had to spend £3.50 on a new bulb and reflector to get it through the MOT. It's done 21500 miles. Hope that's encouraging for you
@phuocsandiego avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Former owner of an ET4, GTS 250, BV 500, and Buddy 150

Molto Verboso
@phuocsandiego avatar
Former owner of an ET4, GTS 250, BV 500, and Buddy 150
UTC quote
My ET4 is almost 10 years old and there have been no major issues maintenance wise with it. Just the oil changes; belts & rollers; new spark plug; tires, etc.

The really basic stuff that you would have to do even on new scooters at certain mileage intervals. I would say go for it. I've done all of the work myself thus far... Modern Vespa has been a great resource for that.

OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Re: Maintenance costs for 10yr old scooter
Thanks guys this is all encouraging however seller has just replied to me that he has no master key - blue key only. Selling price £650 which is good for my budget, 14,000 miles and he will put it through MOT 1st (expires this week). However having just read the FAQ section about master keys I am now having my doubts...
meni wrote:
Hi I am looking for some general advice I have finally accepted that I cant afford a new scooter so have started to look at the 2nd hand market - I am considering a 10 yr old Vespa ET4 but have no idea what the to expect in terms of maintenance costs would be really grateful for advice? Asking price is £650 which looked about standard and I am not sure of the mileage.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Do NOT buy it without the master key. Another one will come along.
@one_dread avatar
UTC

Hooked
Blue ET4 124

Hooked
@one_dread avatar
Blue ET4 124
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Do NOT buy it without the master key. Another one will come along.
+1

Undoubtably your excited, I was to, It can be better to wait and get a better scooter in the long run. I has a look at a range of vespa et4's before i chose mine, an X reg 2000 ET4 with 7500 miles on the clock when i got it in February, Now its June and ive done over 8200 miles and its been fine. That said im planning on changing the break disk and pads over summer as well as some other general maintenance. So hold tight and wait for the right scooter.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0125s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0037s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]