OP
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
Yesterday I was caught in the raging storms/tornado warnings around here. So, an extra hour or more finding my way home because of closed roads due to water and other associated storm problems.

After I came out the other side of one of the deeper spots I had to ride through, the CVT slipped almost completely a few times for several seconds each, soon getting it's grip, and I continued home, wet and happy to some tea and whiskey.

I know the slippage was due to the water splashing up all around me, but I'm curious as to what was actually slipping...the belt? The clutch? Both?

And, should I peek into the CVT after something like this happens, or just dry off and let it go?

In an unrelated questions: My scoot lives outside. The front wheel bolts were a little tough getting off the last time I had to remove the wheel. I don't want to break them, but the idea of Anti-Seize on wheel bolts seems wrong. Should I apply it or just loosen and tighten them from time to time to keep them free?

Thanks for the help.

PS: I don't want to turn this into a riding safety admonision. I ride in the rain a lot, and I know the drill. I actually got off the road and ducked into a Best Buy to shop around and wait out the worst parts of the storm for safety reasons. I did most of my riding in the still wet and rainy aftermath. Thenk yew.
PPS: I didn't buy anything.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
My guess would be that it was the belt slipping. Seems like the weakest link.

If it were me, I probably wouldn't bother opening up the transmission case. But then, if one of my bikes caught fire by the side of the road, I would just shrug and move on to the next one.
@dougl avatar
UTC

El Macho
KTM Super Duke 1290, Vespa GTS 300

El Macho
@dougl avatar
KTM Super Duke 1290, Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Definitely put anti-seize on your wheel bolts. My local dealers all do. I once had a bolt break and it was a real pain to get out. Agree with Jess on the belt slipping. Just leave well alone, it was only doing it because it was wet.
@big-7-baz avatar
UTC

Addicted
AUTO. & TRAD.

Addicted
@big-7-baz avatar
AUTO. & TRAD.
UTC quote
The slipping could have been water on the clutch shoes, and yes, put some copper slip or something on your wheel bolts.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Yes to the anti-seize - and don't over-tighten them just because you've used anti-seize!

I've had a momentary slipping belt before from splashing through long puddles. Nothing to worry about.
@dutch avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@dutch avatar
LXV 150 GTV 250
UTC quote
Anytime I take a bolt off I put Never-Seize on it before I put it back on unless it's vibrated loose and then I use blue Loctite.
⚠️ Last edited by Dutch on UTC; edited 1 time
@atlgts avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250 i.e. "Silver Bullet"

Hooked
@atlgts avatar
GTS 250 i.e. "Silver Bullet"
UTC quote
I think your slippage question has been sufficiently answered - it's the belt.

like you, I'm always cautious to put anti-sieze on bolts that need to stay put, but I don;t recall actually losing a bolt because of the anti-seize. It just basically helps the bolt to not get completely stuck to the nut... Blue or Red Loctite (depening on the application) really works well too.
OP
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
All the help is appreciated. Thanks.

Anti-Seize going on the bolts tomorrow. I'd do it today except I have to get off to work...I have a another storm to outrun. Razz emoticon
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Xevo 250 ie

Molto Verboso
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
Xevo 250 ie
UTC quote
go easy on the big puddles - the air-filter intake is pointed down at the ground - very easy to flood the air-filter
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0110s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0015s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]