@bvbob avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan

Molto Verboso
@bvbob avatar
UTC quote
Does anyone know of a national company that rents pick-up trucks? I need to transport my bv200. The scooter is 7 feet long with a wheelbase of about 5 feet. Enterprise rents trucks but only with 6 ft beds. Any and all help appreciated!!
I've been without a scooter for two weeks and it's been tough! Crying or Very sad emoticon

Bob
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
U-haul rents pickup trucks with an 8' bed. They say "available in select locations" so you'll need to check with your local U-haul.

-Craig
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
You should be able to get a 7' bike in a 6' truck just fine, see the other thread on a similar subject. Yours will just have to be a bit more sideways.
@bagel avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 Vespa GTS 300, 2007 Vespa GTS 250, 2007 Vespa GTV, 2010 Stella 4T #3, and a bunch of broke down vintage scoots

Ossessionato
@bagel avatar
2010 Vespa GTS 300, 2007 Vespa GTS 250, 2007 Vespa GTV, 2010 Stella 4T #3, and a bunch of broke down vintage scoots
UTC quote
Check National, they have pretty good rates on pickup rentals... I don't know about 7' beds, they do have a full size trucks, so that might be possibility. Personally, I would go for a smaller truck for better fuel mileage, and just transport the bike with the tailgate down.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
BVBob wrote:
Does anyone know of a national company that rents pick-up trucks? I need to transport my bv200. The scooter is 7 feet long with a wheelbase of about 5 feet. Enterprise rents trucks but only with 6 ft beds.
As jimc points out, it may well fit corner to corner. In any case, the 6' bed of a pickup suddenly gets a couple of feet longer when you drop the tailgate. I can't imagine any reason why you could not adequately secure a 7' long scooter under those circumstances. Use a real wheel chock or a jury-rigged one, a set of canyon dancers or equivalent tie-downs to the handgrips and another tie-down strap over the back of the seat. Should be secured well enough.
@valimagdon avatar
UTC

Hooked
'80 Bajaj Chetak; '65 Vespa V90; '59 Lambretta Li125

Hooked
@valimagdon avatar
'80 Bajaj Chetak; '65 Vespa V90; '59 Lambretta Li125
UTC quote
You may need to rent a big U-haul truck. Their pickups are really only for around town.
Othwerwise, I don't know of any car rental compnies that rent pickups, and none of them will let you tow.
@the_mocker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 Orange S150

Ossessionato
@the_mocker avatar
2010 Orange S150
UTC quote
Any pick ups I've rented from car rental places have had hard tops over the beds Someone like U-haul or Budget is probably your best bet. Possibly an extended Econoline such as Budget rents would work as well as a pickup depending on height.
@burgman400 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 LX 150

Hooked
@burgman400 avatar
2008 LX 150
UTC quote
Lowes hardware rents trucks by the hour. Mainly just for customers to get stuff home. 8' beds.
OP
@bvbob avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@bvbob avatar
UTC quote
bagel wrote:
Check National, they have pretty good rates on pickup rentals... I don't know about 7' beds, they do have a full size trucks, so that might be possibility. Personally, I would go for a smaller truck for better fuel mileage, and just transport the bike with the tailgate down.
Is it OK to transport with the tailgate down? I've never owned a truck. Do they "lock" down? I'd hate to hit a big bump and have it lift and push the scoot up and out of place. Enterprise does have nice trucks with tie-down points. I have a canyon dancer and all the necessary tie-downs. I bought an el-cheapo wheel chock/stand from harbour freight. It's their heavy duty deal that looks like it has some stability without being bolted down. Do you think this combo will work? I have to drive about 1.5 hours away. When it's done (hopefully this summer ) I'll ride it home. I don't care if it takes me all day...
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Tailgate won't bounce.
OP
@bvbob avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@bvbob avatar
UTC quote
StooterBoy wrote:
Tailgate won't bounce.
Thanks!

I guess I'm ready to give this a go. I'm still diligently trying to buy another scooter that I can get parts for and serviced locally. Going to have to be Japanese. My dealer that was an hour away went out of business now I'm going 1 1/2 hours away. This is getting to be too much. Got to have a back-up. Kinda sad since I think the bv line is one of the best out there... Life's a compromise.
@rosarider avatar
UTC

2009 LX 50 "Rosa"

@rosarider avatar
2009 LX 50 "Rosa"
UTC quote
I've rented a pickup from U-haul....expensive. The next-time I rented a light weight motorcycle trailer (with a ramp) from U-haul for $20.00. I pulled it with my Honda Civic with no problem.
@atlgts avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250 i.e. "Silver Bullet"

Hooked
@atlgts avatar
UTC quote
RosaRider wrote:
I've rented a pickup from U-haul....expensive. The next-time I rented a light weight motorcycle trailer (with a ramp) from U-haul for $20.00. I pulled it with my Honda Civic with no problem.
I was just about to suggest this. Much cheaper, and easier to load as well. That is if you have a tow hitch on your car, of course...
OP
@bvbob avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@bvbob avatar
UTC quote
atlgts wrote:
RosaRider wrote:
I was just about to suggest this. Much cheaper, and easier to load as well. That is if you have a tow hitch on your car, of course...
I do have a hitch but I use it for my bicycle carrier. The car is a Nissan Sentra- automatic. The manual says that it can pull 1000 lbs. That trailer from u-haul is 550lbs and and my bv is probably 375lbs. I'd be cutting it close-no? I'd hate to ruin the car/transmission over this. Or am I being over-protective? Anyone have a beer handy?? Razz emoticon

Bob
@atlgts avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@atlgts avatar
UTC quote
How far do you have to go? It is a little close to the limit, but there is a safety buffer built into the limit as well. You should be fine, unless you have a lot of hills to negotiate, and a lot of stop and start driving might also put a it of strain on it. Overall, i think you'll be fine, though. You should be able to easily throw the bicycles on the trailer as well...
@rosarider avatar
UTC

2009 LX 50 "Rosa"

@rosarider avatar
2009 LX 50 "Rosa"
UTC quote
HaHa have a beer man. I towed it with my Civic (w/ 170K miles on it) over 300 miles, no sweat. Big hills will be an issue but I did fine in the Georgia sand hills, mountains may be another story
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0129s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0023s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]