OP
@hank-hill avatar
UTC

@hank-hill avatar
UTC quote
Hello,

Does anyone have a 250 that they haul in a 6' pickup. I read online that GTS 250 is 74" and my truck bed is 72" with the gate closed. I know this should be simple math but I wanted to know if anyone has done this. I want to buy a pair of used 250s but I need it to fit in the back of my '08 dodge truck with the tailgate closed. I want to add some scooters to my vacation events and I haul a camper so I can not leave the tailgate down.

Thanks a bunch

HH
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Put a side-stand on it, and it should fit in fine, possibly slightly sideways, on the side-stand with steering lock on. Then strap down over the seat compressing the suspension halfway - as done on sea-going ferries here. As has been said elsewhere recently, if bikes can cross the Irish Sea or the English Channel on stormy days, that method will work fine in a trailer, and is a method I've often used myself.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
Re: Vespa 250 in a 6' bed
hank-hill wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone have a 250 that they haul in a 6' pickup. I read online that GTS 250 is 74" and my truck bed is 72" with the gate closed. I know this should be simple math but I wanted to know if anyone has done this. I want to buy a pair of used 250s but I need it to fit in the back of my '08 dodge truck with the tailgate closed. I want to add some scooters to my vacation events and I haul a camper so I can not leave the tailgate down.

Thanks a bunch

HH
We just remove our tailgate when we take our scooters and travel trailer on vacation.
@scootergirlinal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 BV 350

Ossessionato
@scootergirlinal avatar
2012 BV 350
UTC quote
Re: Vespa 250 in a 6' bed
gogogordy wrote:
We just remove our tailgate when we take our scooters and travel trailer on vacation.
I remove the tailgate also. I cannot speak to getting two scoots into the bed of your truck, that will depend on the width of your truck bed.

I have seen pictures of two scooters in three different configurations: one picture showed the front wheels in opposite corners towards the front of the truck, the second picture two scooters were staggered, one against the front wall of the truck bed, the other far enough back to clear the handlebars (but I do not believe this will work without your tailgate) and the third picture was one scooter pulled in forward, the other scooter backed into the truck bed.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I leave the tailgate down and put a Ready Ramp on the back. This means I have one device that serves as both a ramp and a tailgate extender.
@ufo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 250

Molto Verboso
@ufo avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
That's a good one..My MP3 250 fits perfect in the bed of my truck with the tail gate up..
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@hank-hill avatar
UTC

@hank-hill avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the tips so far. I guess I will just have to wait and see if the bed will close. No big deal if it will not I will just remove the tailgate.

Scootergirl am I safe to say the ones you have seen were in a full size truck bed?

HH
@atlgts avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250 i.e. "Silver Bullet"

Hooked
@atlgts avatar
GTS 250 i.e. "Silver Bullet"
UTC quote
I think if you just turn the front wheel a little bit you should be fine. You're only talking about a couple of inches...
@scootergirlinal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 BV 350

Ossessionato
@scootergirlinal avatar
2012 BV 350
UTC quote
hank-hill wrote:
Scootergirl am I safe to say the ones you have seen were in a full size truck bed?

HH
I know the two I saw pictured staggered were in a Ford Ranger, the other two I do not remember. It would also depend on the wheel well in the truck bed.
@kcphoto2008 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Piaggio BV250

Hooked
@kcphoto2008 avatar
2009 Piaggio BV250
UTC quote
You should be able to get it in there at a bit of an angle. My Ranger has a topper on so I decided to get a low boy trailer and it's much better for hauling the Vespa. Of course with tandem axels and 16 foot bed that's not all I can put on that trailer. Razz emoticon Popcorn emoticon
@maxx28 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@maxx28 avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
My 300 fits in the back of my Colorado, but i am not able to close the gate unless I put it corner to corner.
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
09 GTS (sold) 2014 NC700XD

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@midnight_rider avatar
09 GTS (sold) 2014 NC700XD
UTC quote
This is how I got mine home from the dealer...

No idea what truck that is, its my brother-in-law's, but it worked well...

Tailgate stayed down, offloaded it at some warehouse (think it was target) around midnight...
Notice the big grin???
Notice the big grin???
UTC

07 GTS250 Vespa

07 GTS250 Vespa
UTC quote
Chevrolet Silverado
I've got an 04 Chevy Silverado with the "short bed" (actually 6 1/2 feet). I loaded my GTS250 straight in using a chunk of 4x4 wood to stop the front wheel so the fender wouldn't hit the headboard. The tailgate went up with a couple of inches to spare. No rubs. Fit good.
@changerang avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GTS

Hooked
@changerang avatar
2006 GTS
UTC quote
on my 6' Tacoma bed i put the GTS straight in with a towel between the front and the bed lip and another towel between the rear guard/fender with the tailgate closed. fits like a glove. a nice ramp for the scoot and box for you to walk it up helps big time.
⬆️    About 9 months elapsed    ⬇️
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
In the words of the immortal Billy Cotton, "Wakey wakey". Yes, I know it is an old thread but it seemed to be the closest found in my search.

Here is what I would like to add:

I plan on trucking my 250 to NO this June. This will require an overnight stop at a no-tell motel somewhere en route. In your collective opinion, my fellow MV'ers, is there a security difference between having the tailgate down (the scooter will fit in straight and is easier to tie down but is in plain sight) or with it up (the scoot must sit catty-corner, and I'll have to add some custom pad-eyes to tie it down but the scooter is maybe less obvious)?

Thank you all.
@tor2ga avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Looking for the next one, probably electric

Ossessionato
@tor2ga avatar
Looking for the next one, probably electric
UTC quote
Unless the tailgate is lockable I don't think open or closed will make any security difference. Uses a lock with a loud alarm on it and ask the motel guy if you can park it in front where there is more light and he might hear the alarm go off.

PS, tell him you are a personal friend if Mr. Patel and he said it would be safe.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Raputtak wrote:
This will require an overnight stop at a no-tell motel somewhere en route.
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
Raputtak wrote:
In your collective opinion, my fellow MV'ers, is there a security difference between having the tailgate down (the scooter will fit in straight and is easier to tie down but is in plain sight) or with it up (the scoot must sit catty-corner, and I'll have to add some custom pad-eyes to tie it down but the scooter is maybe less obvious)?
If getting the scooter into the hotel room isn't in the cards, then I would say just put a chain lock through the rear wheel of the scooter and one of the anchor points on the truck. The tailgate open or closed (as noted previously) isn't helpful unless it also locks.
@peabody99 avatar
UTC

Hooked
BMW F700GS, 1996 Honda Helix, Giallo GTS (sold), Buddy125

Hooked
@peabody99 avatar
BMW F700GS, 1996 Honda Helix, Giallo GTS (sold), Buddy125
UTC quote
Midnight Rider wrote:
This is how I got mine home from the dealer...

No idea what truck that is, its my brother-in-law's, but it worked well...

Tailgate stayed down, offloaded it at some warehouse (think it was target) around midnight...
I am only commenting b/c this picture is awesome. You are beaming about having this scooter. A case of a picture says a 1000 words.
@bleverone avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 250ie, GTV 250

Molto Verboso
@bleverone avatar
GTS 250ie, GTV 250
UTC quote
jess wrote:
If getting the scooter into the hotel room isn't in the cards, then I would say just put a chain lock through the rear wheel of the scooter and one of the anchor points on the truck. The tailgate open or closed (as noted previously) isn't helpful unless it also locks.
Still am amazed that you got that scooter into a hotel room. Looks like the 15th floor to me. How'd it fit in the elevator? I would love to see the maid's face when she dragged her Oreck through the door the next morning.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
bleverone wrote:
jess wrote:
Still am amazed that you got that scooter into a hotel room. Looks like the 15th floor to me. How'd it fit in the elevator? I would love to see the maid's face when she dragged her Oreck through the door the next morning.

There are lots more of these photos floating around. It really only works when you get a ground-floor room with an exterior door. You just roll it right in and shut the door, then roll it out again early the next morning. No problem.
@ultra-maniac avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@ultra-maniac avatar
UTC quote
I just hauled my daughter's People 150 in the back of my Dodge Dakota with a 6ft bed to Motorsports. Needless to say the tailgate did not go up. I left it down, tied down the scooter, no problems. It didn't budge.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0155s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0092s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]