UTC

Lurker
X9 Evo 500 - 460cc

Lurker
@donuts23 avatar
X9 Evo 500 - 460cc
UTC quote
Dear new friends on this board,

I'm Danny and new on this forum. I recently bought a used 2005 X9 Evo 500 and it came with two keys: Blue and Brown. Recently I lost the Blue key and tried the Brown for the first time before buying a blank blue. Gee it doesn't turn!@@!#!

Again, the blue key worked, but the brown does not.

The brown looks like an orignal b/c it has the Piaggio round mark inscribed near the top of the shaft. It also has a chip intact inside and I'm trying to get hold of the seller that I bought it from to track down the correct key... No luck so far with getting a reply.

Ok maybe the chip is still good with this CDI; it just didn't get transferred if the previous owner or even previous to that changed it. With that said, my questions are:

1) How hard it is to change the lock barrel, esp without a key. What do I need to remove? Do I need any special tools?

2) How hard is it to change the CDI? How much do I need to remove and about where is it located? I assume near the ignition. Is it just a connector that plugs into it?

I want to know before going to the store and buying the stuff. I have to do it myself (well I hope I can) b/c I have a) limited funds and b)440lbs sitting on my friggin' driveway with steering locked urghhhh ! =)

FYI: I have tools and mechanical know how with a car.

Thanking all respondents in advance.
Thank you Thank you! I owe you guys a beer

Danny

PS I bought the bike so I can be a scooter couple with my gf lol
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
Head over to motorsport scooters in SD they can help you out
@astromags avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'80 P200E, '76 Primavera 125 ET3. '59 Vespa 150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@astromags avatar
'80 P200E, '76 Primavera 125 ET3. '59 Vespa 150
UTC quote
Definitely need to see a dealer on this one. Be sure and wear your hockey mask too. Ask for Max.

PS. Don't expect a lot of easy advice on what could easily translate to "how to get a stolen Vespa going" especially after making your first post while wearing a hockey mask.

I'm not accusing, just making an observation.

Good luck.
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie

Addicted
@bluside avatar
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
UTC quote
astromags wrote:
Definitely need to see a dealer on this one. Be sure and wear your hockey mask too. Ask for Max.

PS. Don't expect a lot of easy advice on what could easily translate to "how to get a stolen Vespa going" especially after making your first post while wearing a hockey mask.

I'm not accusing, just making an observation.

Good luck.
Good point....

I would start with a dealer.
OP
@donuts23 avatar
UTC

Lurker
X9 Evo 500 - 460cc

Lurker
@donuts23 avatar
X9 Evo 500 - 460cc
UTC quote
I called Vespa Oceanside about but I haven't got a response. Can't even leave a message b/c their box is full. I'll give these guys a call.

So these guys have a good rep. and good reviews?

I'm here just to get an idea of how difficult this is before talking to someone with possible conflicted interest.
@justjoe avatar
UTC

Hooked
2004 ET4

Hooked
@justjoe avatar
2004 ET4
UTC quote
donuts23 wrote:
I called Vespa Oceanside about but I haven't got a response. Can't even leave a message b/c their box is full. I'll give these guys a call.

I'm here just to get an idea of how difficult this is before talking to someone with possible conflicted interest.
CDI problems and seat lock issues aren't things that are actively discussed here due to the simple fact that those are topics that thieves actively search for. I'm not being accusatory or anything, just stating fact. We will always refer you to a dealer/shop.

Motorsport Scooters is highly recommended by many folks here. I haven't dealt with them yet...
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
Welcome to the forum. Max and the gang at Motorsports are awesome and definitely worth the ride over. They'll have you fixed up in no time. Good luck.
OP
@donuts23 avatar
UTC

Lurker
X9 Evo 500 - 460cc

Lurker
@donuts23 avatar
X9 Evo 500 - 460cc
UTC quote
Thanks for the welcome Judy.

I'd imagine volume thieves would know what they are already doing. Only real new rookies would be searching the boards such specifics about changing CDI and lock. I'd imagine a new thief easily figure out that CDI and lock needs changing with a phone call or quick search, then he/she would attempt to disassemble the scooter before crawling online for more info.

So would it be deterred to post a DIY if I had to change the lock and perhaps the CDI too if my chip is incorrect here? I was planning to do this since there isn't a lot of info out there.
@chetwynder avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Baart-less

Ossessionato
@chetwynder avatar
Baart-less
UTC quote
donuts23 wrote:

Vespa Oceanside went under just a short time ago. I believe there was talk of it in another thread.... I see there is still an advertising banner but the web site does speak of their demise. As JustJoe said certain topics are kind of skirted when brought up by brand new members (OK we suspect every lurker to be a heinous criminal Razz emoticon ). Really this is a good place and good folks. Hope you stick around.

You might want to try http://www.vespaso.com They are good folks who hang here.

Dave
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
I suggest you talk with a member of this board named Jimh before you spend major money on replacement parts. He is very knowledgeable on these electronic security systems and may have a suggestion for addressing the problem.

http://www.allmotorcyclekeys.com/
OP
@donuts23 avatar
UTC

Lurker
X9 Evo 500 - 460cc

Lurker
@donuts23 avatar
X9 Evo 500 - 460cc
UTC quote
Thanks for the info Dave and Doogles.

I think I'm done with this thread. I will post a DIY later if I resort to it.

Public info about bike security of the bike is not the barrier for thieves (esp in this case) unless it was about hacking/cracking the system, such as posting software to break it. If I were you and were concerned about thief I would want to understand the vulnerabilities about the system/design and take measures to cover up the holes if needed.

I don't know why Piaggio doesn't go with the database system, where you have to provide VIN number to dealer for a key. Oh well...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0119s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0026s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]