Piaggio mp3 125

Piaggio mp3 125
UTC quote
Just wondering if anyone had any ideas:

Engine maintenance light on
Eventually peters out at idle
Won't start without a bit of throttle
Occasionally backfires when trying to start

Ideas welcome, I was thinking spark plug or timiings?

Many thanks

Tom
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Get a can of Throttle Body Cleaner and a tooth brush. Pull the air cleaner housing clean the throttle body. Open the butterfly while doing this and get everything really clean. You most likely won't be able to see the dirt, it is a very light coating and throws off the air fuel mixture at idle.
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
StooterBoy wrote:
Get a can of Throttle Body Cleaner and a tooth brush. Pull the air cleaner housing clean the throttle body. Open the butterfly while doing this and get everything really clean. You most likely won't be able to see the dirt, it is a very light coating and throws off the air fuel mixture at idle.
I know you have mentioned this procedure many times before, and I have not yet felt a need to use it myself. But questions arise in my mind: so if you use a solvent and a brush to loosen the varnish inside the throttle body, where is the dissolved stuff going? Are you trying to wipe it out or just let it sit and hopefully evaporate / burn up? Thanks.
@maksor avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie

Ossessionato
@maksor avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
UTC quote
Stooterboy

if you needed to clean your throttlebody how dirty was it and how many miles did you do

if its getting real dirty there most be something wrong with your airbox / filter

+/- 27.000 km or 16.900 miles and i never had to clean it and i do drive on dirtroads
OP
UTC

Piaggio mp3 125

Piaggio mp3 125
UTC quote
It might be something more problematic (hope not) but I just noticed that the idle speed before it started spluttering and dies was down at 1300. I just adjusted to 1750 and the cut out problem seems to have gone for now. It starts just using the button too!

Doesn't explain the warning light though...
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Maksor wrote:
Stooterboy

if you needed to clean your throttlebody how dirty was it and how many miles did you do

if its getting real dirty there most be something wrong with your airbox / filter

+/- 27.000 km or 16.900 miles and i never had to clean it and i do drive on dirtroads
This is very common problem on vehicles with a vapor recovery system like on the MP3. It's caused by the crankcase vapors getting recirculated into the intake.
I had 18,000 miles on it and as soon as I did the throttle body cleaning the problem was gone and it ran like new again.

It doesn't get real dirty, just takes a little build up to throw the air fuel mixture off. It's not anything you can see.
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
UTC quote
Good input from Cheekythomas in this thread with pictures MP3 500 ECU version?

Piaggio teaches this and it helps for stalling issues. Made a big difference on my 400 with 20,000+ miles on it.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0113s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0035s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]