OP
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500 Sport Touring LT - grey

Hooked
UTC quote
Hello everyone,

Apart from a few light-hearted posts, I'm new to this forum, and have never ridden pillion let alone driven a scooter or motorbike in my entire life. So, I feel the need to explain myself, and hope that in return that you might answer a few of my myriad questions in return.

I'm a junior doctor, hoping if I ever pull my finger out to eventually qualify as a surgeon. Now, here in the UK, doing such a job is fulfilling but not a path to riches. Despite this, last year I received some money which allowed me to buy a special car - a Jaguar XFR. A silly, spendthrift thing to do, I agree, but it is something truly special that I would likely never have the opportunity to buy (family, responsibilities etc.) ever again. So, whilst a stupid buy, I love it and hope to keep it for 10 years at a minimum. People might think I am cool or a prat for driving it, but I regard it for what it is - a superb form of transport that for the first time in a long time blows the German offerings out of the water on merit rather than marginally xenophobic nostalgia.

But, I have a problem that I hope to solve. Firstly, I can not comfortably afford paying the petrol for this car when it costs almost £80 to fill up for only 200+ miles. Secondly, my post in a couple of months will move to an inner city hospital, and I'm not sure that I can trust a car that I can't afford to lose to the car park there. I have already heard, asking around, of cars being broken into, and a recent trip to a nearby Staples suggested that the car park might have a thing or two learn from Baghdad c. 2006. In addition to the cratered surface, broken bottles and fence/wall that looked like someone had driven through it, there was a dirty mattress sitting nonchalantly right in the middle of it. So, I think that a nimble, cheap to run and insure form of city transport is in order.

I have already ruled out public transport, as I have neither the time nor the patience to deal with it, and a bicycle would likely be even more dangerous than a scooter. Also, the result of the ride would be someone who is offensive to all five senses - and my patients. A 10 year old Mazda MX-5 would be appealing, if it were not for the £18,000 it costs to buy another parking space in my apartment block.

So (despite much wailing and gnashing of teeth from my mother), it seems that a scooter is the only thing to fit the bill. I do have the experience of cycling for two years round London, so I have a little idea of what I am letting myself in for, but otherwise I have no experience on a motorcycle/scooter. As far as I see it, these are my options:

1. A cheap Taiwanese scooter, e.g. SYM Mio 100. Now, this is easily the cheapest option, but they are definitely down on style, and I fear that I will drop it and shatter the plastic bodywork within the first week. A Chinese scooter, though fantastic value, doesn't seem to be a good idea as I am not a mechanic, and won't be able to fix the inevitable niggles arising.

2. A Vespa. Now, I have to admit that I have secretly always wanted one, but never before been serious about getting one. It's definitely an outlay, but something truly special for less than a decent second hand car. As much as an S125 in the orange paint offered appeals to me, the lack of an immobiliser deters me, and so I would likely choose between the LX125 touring or a GTS 125 super.

3. A Piaggio MP3 400LT. Now, this offers the ability to drive further afield without a lack of power, as well as being the only scooter above 125cc that I can drive straight away without even an 'L' plate. The extra wheel and three disc brakes also suggest that I might be safer on such a beast, and less likely to drop it whilst parking. The only problem is price - almost as much as a decent NEW city car. But the 'so ugly it's cute' looks and still low running costs do make it different...

So that's it for now. Thank you for reading my rantings (if you got this far!), and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or observations that would help me make up my mind.

David
@peterc avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 Vespa GTS 250, TBA

Ossessionato
@peterc avatar
2009 Vespa GTS 250, TBA
UTC quote
Doc, IMHO the MP3 sounds ideal. You get the speed and power you need for urban or exurban roadways and accident avoidance, you don't have to bother with stupid 2-wheel licensing bureaucracy, and you have a vehicle that requires a minimal parking footprint. Okay, it's not as cool as our Vespas, but you already have the cool factor under control with your Jaguar.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300 Super

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Hello David !!! IMHO get a Vespa ! A GTS 300 super ie in White ( the fastest color of them all ).
@andyscooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa gt200

Molto Verboso
@andyscooter avatar
Vespa gt200
UTC quote
mp3's are not as cheap to run as you think

tyres cost a lot and tend to wear quickly and every job and service costs

it may be worth considering a vespa lx125 as they have the immobiliser and a good lock
@rickeydean avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT 200

Hooked
@rickeydean avatar
GT 200
UTC quote
Re: Am I a Scooterist or a Mentalist?
Orangezorki wrote:
A Piaggio MP3 400LT. Now, this offers the ability to drive further afield without a lack of power, as well as being the only scooter above 125cc that I can drive straight away without even an 'L' plate.
Can you ride a 400cc MP3 without an A1 licence? Please check on that before purchasing. I see MP3 125s in London all the time definitely sporting L plates; which would indicate to me the same rules apply to an MP3 as any other motorbike. Please let me know, I'm very interested.
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
I would suggest doing the math. It is pretty rare to save money riding a scooter without getting rid of the car.

I understan fuel prices are higher there , however here for the price of a new Vespa...lets just say $6,500 I can buy about 2,200 gallons of gas ($3.00 per gallon). At 20 miles to the gallon thats about 43,000 miles before you start "saving"...not to mention insurance, registration, maintance, safety gear...

If you want a scooter...get one! First I would suggest you make sure that it is going to meet your needs.

Don't get me wrong....I love my scooters and ride them at every opportunity...but they don't save me a dime...or pence or cent...oh you get the idea!
@philf avatar
UTC

gts250ie

@philf avatar
gts250ie
UTC quote
Hi. my opinion - get a GTS.
You should get 1-2 year old 125cc for less than 2 grand.
Make sure its low km/miles, its got a history and its not been dropped.
Reds the best colour.
Have a look at ebay/small ads. And most important - have some training. Its reasonably inexpensive and could save your life.
Ride safe my friend and enjoy.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Ossessionato
X10 350

Ossessionato
X10 350
UTC quote
rickeydean wrote:
Orangezorki wrote:
A Piaggio MP3 400LT. Now, this offers the ability to drive further afield without a lack of power, as well as being the only scooter above 125cc that I can drive straight away without even an 'L' plate.
Can you ride a 400cc MP3 without an A1 licence? Please check on that before purchasing. I see MP3 125s in London all the time definitely sporting L plates; which would indicate to me the same rules apply to an MP3 as any other motorbike. Please let me know, I'm very interested.
I think I'm right in saying that the LT (because it has wheels slightly further apart than a regular MP3) can be driven on a car license. I'm fairly sure that this holds true on the continent, but less sure about whether it's also true in the UK.
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Ducati Scrambler 800 Nightshift

Ossessionato
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC quote
It sounds like some form of two wheeled transport is going to do the job for you.

Yes, you can ride the larger mp3s on a car license, though I believe there does need to be some minor modifications made for it to qualify. They are pricey to buy and run compared to a scooter, though are more stable. The deciding factor for me would be the extra width though. You won't be able to get through the traffic as easily.

You've mentioned vespas or far eastern scooters but there are other options. Something like a gilera runner will be quicker than a vespa, and being plastic bodied it's easier and cheaper to fix if you do crash. He'll, buy yourself a pre-disastered one and save even more money. With a four stroke 125 you'll get 80mpg easily and servicing is cheap enough. Not quite as stylish as a vespa but cheaper and still great fun.
@mgg avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 BV500

Hooked
@mgg avatar
2007 BV500
UTC quote
I love my Vespa. However as others have stated I did not get it to save money. I just joined a scooter club and many of the people own a Genuine Buddy. I am quite impressed with them. They are less expensive than a Vespa. The owners tell me they are reliable, really comfortable, nimble, get good gas mileage, and fun to ride. They come in 125 and 150 cc sizes and while they do not have the pick up of my 300 when we go on long rides these things keep up fine even on the 55 MPH freeway.

Here is the other thing. I would not park my Vespa in a place where you wouldn't park your car. Now I just might chance it with a used Buddy.

MGG
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Benelli Boy wrote:
rickeydean wrote:
Orangezorki wrote:
I think I'm right in saying that the LT (because it has wheels slightly further apart than a regular MP3) can be driven on a car license. I'm fairly sure that this holds true on the continent, but less sure about whether it's also true in the UK.
Thanks very much for all the opinions - I think we are getting somewhere!

Firstly, Benelli Boy, you are exactly right, the MP3 400LT is slightly different from a standard MP3, in that it also has a foot brake and the front wheels are over 460mm apart, making it a three wheeler in the eyes of the law. This allows anyone with a full car licence to drive it without an L plate, CBT or even a helmet. Of course, I will still do the latter two as I am not a complete moron. Indeed, it is the only scooter over 125cc that I can drive without the expense and time needed to pass a motorcycle test - I would also say that because of the third wheel, it is the only scooter with that power that I would trust myself with. So, I'm afraid a GTS 300 is not an option for some time yet. The only problem is that I feel that I am being fleeced for far too much money for the scoot, as those small changes cost about £1000.

As for the running costs, I know that it is difficult to see me saving huge amounts of money, but I might be able to break even, and considering the fun of the new toy, as well as all the non-financial benefits, that would easily be enough. Let's say, if I got the MP3 (as I could take this further afield), I might manage to halve my milage on the car, which would allow:

1. Much lower fuel costs, potentially £1500 per year, and that is only likely to go up.

2. It would ensure that I only had to service the car once a year, delaying the £3-500 services. Not much, but may offset most of the servicing costs of the MP3.

3. Less tyre wear, and at £250+ per corner, this could mean £500 saved, as the MP3 tyres are only a fifth of the price and fewer in number.

4. Toll costs - If I have to cross through the mersey tunnel, scooters go free, and that would cost £14 per working week. And if I were to return to London, the congestion charge is £8 per day - not that I would regularly take the car, but it would give more freedom and speed in getting to work.

All in all, my calculations suggest that when I take into account road tax(£33) and insurance (should be under £400 fully comp), I should be able to save up to £1500 per year. Hopefully, this will at least offset the depreciation on the scooter if I keep it in good nick.

Taking a 125 into consideration, I am aware that all costs apart from the CBT, alarm and helmet will be slightly less, and the initial outlay at least £3k less, but I am concerned as to just how much confidence I will have to take it to further-out jobs in the future, so it may turn into a false economy.

I think what I need to do now is book myself on a CBT course ASAP to experience exactly what it is like to ride a standard two wheeler, and go on from there.

All the best,

David.
@esprit avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Siena Ivory LXV

Enthusiast
@esprit avatar
Siena Ivory LXV
UTC quote
Take the course first. Then you can experience life on two wheels and decide whether you love it or will pass on the idea. Since cost is a factor, find out before you spend the money on the vehicle.
The license will allow you choice of two wheels or three. The training may save your life, so you can save someone else's life in surgery.
You may even find that commuting on a scooter eases the tension from the day or night in the hospital, doing more for you than merely providing cost-effective transportation.
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
Does it ever rain in Liverpool?

Might be a concern.

I keep records of my truck and my scooter. Cost price, maintenance, miscellaneous stuff (Tanneau cove, helmet etc) and fuel.

So far the $17,000 2004 truck with 79,000 miles and 19mpg currently costs me $0.40 per mile. It has been very reliable - no major repairs, just oil and tire changes.

The six month old $7,500 GTS 250 with 1200 miles and 65 mpg currently costs me $7.20 per mile. As the miles increase I hope the $pm will decrease. It is dropping fast the further I go. I have not extrapolated the cost to see where any break-even might be. Perhaps I should.
@dougl avatar
UTC

El Macho
KTM Super Duke 1290, Vespa GTS 300

El Macho
@dougl avatar
KTM Super Duke 1290, Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
OK, first scooter? Sym HD EVO 125. Seriously.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Great, even more ideas to think about (thanks once again):

1. The rain: The scooter will at least be kept undercover where I live, and the weather is not so very bad that I will have it kept there for weeks on end. I also imagine that the MP3 would help greatly in lowering the risk of accidents in drizzle.

2. The cost of repairing a plastic scooter: Does it really cost less, as I would think that a metal body can be mended, whilst a plastic one would crack and need a whole panel replaced?

3. I am not exactly lightweight, and realise how stupid I might look on a 'sport' scooter. So, even if I go for a two wheeler, I would want something with more 'friendly' retro looks.

Having said all that, I think I am starting to persuade myself that the MP3 might be the best thing, despite the cost. I think the best thing for me would be something that I have the confidence in to ride on an almost daily basis, both for my safety and my finances - and the MP3 seems to fit the bill better than anything else.

David.
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
UTC quote
a couple more things to think about .... if it's your first scooter, expect to drop it. it'll likely be a low-speed, low-impact kind of drop, but it's almost certain to happen. for that reason alone i'd avoid a brand-new scooter. go for a used one. if you buy from somewhere reputable, the lack of a warranty won't be a problem, and if you get one that's not quite pristine, you'll save quite a bit of money, and you won't feel so gutted when you put those first few scratches on it.

second... i don't know how you feel about filtering through traffic, but IMHO it's one of the most compelling reasons for owning a scooter. my horrible, soul-destroying commute turned into a joy ride when i got my first scooter. bear in mind that this may not be the case with the MP3 - the wide wheelbase makes it more difficult to filter, and although they're more maneuverable than their looks suggest, they're nowhere near as flickable and easy to park as an LX or a GT.

third ... you'll be surprised how quickly you develop confidence on two wheels. that confidence may come a bit more quickly on three wheels, but i wouldn't judge that to be a compelling reason for buying an MP3 over a Vespa. of course, everyone's comfort zone is different, but unless you're an unusually anxious type I doubt that you'd notice the difference after a short time. and as far as safety goes - that's down to you more than the vehicle. the best way to stay safe on a PTW is to get some proper training, get some good gear, and develop safe riding habits.
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
mgg wrote:
I love my Vespa. However as others have stated I did not get it to save money. I just joined a scooter club and many of the people own a Genuine Buddy. I am quite impressed with them. They are less expensive than a Vespa. The owners tell me they are reliable, really comfortable, nimble, get good gas mileage, and fun to ride. They come in 125 and 150 cc sizes and while they do not have the pick up of my 300 when we go on long rides these things keep up fine even on the 55 MPH freeway.
MGG
I think that the Buddy (POG Ligero 125 in UK) is the best bang for the buck in a modern tng scooter.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Oh dear, I talked to the chief caretaker at my apartment building today - there is no leeway to let me park even a vespa in addition to my car - I would have to rent an extra space for at least £100 / month. So, while I do see an MP3 somewhere in my future, at the moment I just can't justify it unless I can find a much cheape way to park it. So, for the moment I will bid you all goodbye.

Thanks once again for all the help and opinions.

David.
@60yomod avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 LXV125

Molto Verboso
@60yomod avatar
2009 LXV125
UTC quote
Orangezorki wrote:
Oh dear, I talked to the chief caretaker at my apartment building today - there is no leeway to let me park even a vespa in addition to my car - I would have to rent an extra space for at least £100 / month. So, while I do see an MP3 somewhere in my future, at the moment I just can't justify it unless I can find a much cheape way to park it. So, for the moment I will bid you all goodbye.

David.
No way to squeeze in a two wheeler behind the Jag in the same bay ? I realise the car will take up most of the available space. The planners seem to assume everyone's running a Fiat 500 these days
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
60yoMod wrote:
Orangezorki wrote:

David.
No way to squeeze in a two wheeler behind the Jag in the same bay ? I realise the car will take up most of the available space. The planners seem to assume everyone's running a Fiat 500 these days
'Fraid not. He said that the only other person he knew to have a scooter had a whole space for it! That definitely would not have held any weight if I had still been in London, but up here I just don't see that many bikes/scooters so I guess it's something the powers that be don't have to think about.

I spoke to a colleague of mine last night, and she said that the parking at my next place of work is fine - there are plenty of nice cars there... along with the prostitutes walking around! So I'm still far from sure about leaving my car there. The other problem is that I will frequently need to move from the hospital to another, twinned hospital another few miles away for theatre lists and clinics on the same day. Maybe my only option will be a pushbike (which I can park for free).

I am tempted to rent a space, as this would allow me to store a second hand Smart car, and a Vespa with room to spare, but there is no way I would save money with this combo, even buying everything a few years old - might be fun though!

All the best,

David.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I also meant to ask what experiences other Vespa owners have had when it comes to parking. After all, a Vespa is the ultimate city transportation, so I wonder what other owners have had to do to persuade their building to accommodate their vehicles?

David
@harlekino avatar
UTC

Hooked
'09 GTS 125cc Red Dragon

Hooked
@harlekino avatar
'09 GTS 125cc Red Dragon
UTC quote
I would argue that I pay for the parking space, not for every vehicle that I park in there. LX is a tiny scooter, if you can't fit it in one bay with the Jag, try to see if there is some quiet corner around where you could keep it. I honestly can't see a well parked scooter being an obstruction for anyone. And Vespas are pretty, they are a nice add-on for any type of housing

Good luck
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Doctors don't make a lot of money in the UK?
@60yomod avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 LXV125

Molto Verboso
@60yomod avatar
2009 LXV125
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
They do - relatively - but he's spent up on the Jag Laughing emoticon
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
UTC quote
i had two options - park the scooter on the street, which is a rather bad idea in my neighbourhood, or build a ramp and push it up into the front garden. i chose the second option. at one point we had four scooters parked in the front garden - it's down to a more reasonable two at the moment.
@techguy avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Kymco P250 Now, P200E in the 80's

Ossessionato
@techguy avatar
Kymco P250 Now, P200E in the 80's
UTC quote
Can you share space with the other Vespa owner in the complex?

If they have an entire car slot for one Vespa, they have plenty of room to share.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
TechGuy wrote:
Can you share space with the other Vespa owner in the complex?

If they have an entire car slot for one Vespa, they have plenty of room to share.
Unfortunately, I think he has gone, but it is a very good idea - I will do a bit of looking around and leave a note if it is still there.

David
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Hello all,

Not sure if I'm welcome here any more... Crying or Very sad emoticon

But if anyone here is interested in what I have chosen for my second vehicle, I have made up my mind.

It's a German, two-seater, rear engined, turbocharged coupe. Can you tell what it is yet?

David.
@60yomod avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 LXV125

Molto Verboso
@60yomod avatar
2009 LXV125
UTC quote
If it begins with a "P"....

It's not a Vespa !!
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
60yoMod wrote:

It's not a Vespa !!
Got you!

It's a Smart CDI - 85mpg, no road tax, and more or less the lowest insurance group for any automatic car.

Seriously, if I could afford a 911 turbo as my second car, I might actually be in a position to buy Jaguar, let alone struggle to run one...

All the best,

David.
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Junior Doctors working in a hospital don't earn a fortune. Not bad by a lot of people's standards, but it soon goes if you have a nice flat and nice car.
http://www.money4medstudents.org/content.asp?id=462

Once you've got more experience you can do very well for yourself, but it can take quite a while to pay off all the debts you've accumulated by that point.
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC quote
Orangezorki wrote:
Hello all,

Not sure if I'm welcome here any more... Crying or Very sad emoticon

But if anyone here is interested in what I have chosen for my second vehicle, I have made up my mind.

It's a German, two-seater, rear engined, turbocharged coupe. Can you tell what it is yet?

David.
Yep.

They always look like good fun to me.
@60yomod avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 LXV125

Molto Verboso
@60yomod avatar
2009 LXV125
UTC quote
Orangezorki wrote:
60yoMod wrote:

It's not a Vespa !!
Got you!

It's a Smart CDI - 85mpg, no road tax, and more or less the lowest insurance group for any automatic car.

Seriously, if I could afford a 911 turbo as my second car, I might actually be in a position to buy Jaguar, let alone struggle to run one...

All the best,

David.
Got me fair and square Doc Laughing emoticon
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Well, there we go - the smart was ordered yesterday.

So I guess the Vespa/MP3 wasn't meant to be. Ah well, at least I want to thank all of you for the help and generosity on this thread.

David
@richard_s_150 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Black 2009 S 150 "Sophia"

Hooked
@richard_s_150 avatar
Black 2009 S 150 "Sophia"
UTC quote
Maybe a scooterist AND a mentalist?

Quadrophenic: adj. extremely volatile state of mind; a condition of today.
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
Orangezorki wrote:
Well, there we go - the smart was ordered yesterday.

So I guess the Vespa/MP3 wasn't meant to be. Ah well, at least I want to thank all of you for the help and generosity on this thread.

David
Wasn't meant to be YET!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0364s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0175s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]