OP
UTC

Lurker
GTV 250

Lurker
GTV 250
UTC quote
Bought my GTV 250 in Februay, did the MSF Course, got the license, have a couple hundred miles under my belt, and am comfortable at 40 mph.

Share your experience with wife/girlfriend's first scooter ride.
@mstevens avatar
UTC

Addicted
'05 LX 150 "Rosso Dragon"

Addicted
@mstevens avatar
'05 LX 150 "Rosso Dragon"
UTC quote
My wife went for her first scooter ride the day the Vespa came home.

She went for her first ride on my Ducati 620 and my 696 the day those came home, too.

Her first ride on her 696 was to ride it home from the dealer.

She hasn't ridden on the back of any of them yet.
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
Re: When do you take your wife on her first ride?
gbwjr wrote:
Bought my GTV 250 in Februay, did the MSF Course, got the license, have a couple hundred miles under my belt, and am comfortable at 40 mph.

Share your experience with wife/girlfriend's first scooter ride.
After you guys pratice in a parking lot or a closed corse. also when your comfortable at 70MPH and don't second guess your riding.
@kdude avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV 400 (21) , BV 350 (16) SOLD :( , Sprint 150 2015(SOLD), Liberty S150 2018

Ossessionato
@kdude avatar
BV 400 (21) , BV 350 (16) SOLD :( , Sprint 150 2015(SOLD), Liberty S150 2018
UTC quote
I concur with 175... unless you really have some two up experience under your belt i would wait... or go to a large parking lot and then ask your wife to hop on ... if you can do figure eight's comfortably with your wife and her understanding her role while your riding i would wait before you take her out... let her experience a sudden stop in a parking lot , full acceleration from stop and while moving and some quick left , right maneuver's .... etc i'd would wait... nothing like experience .. just my .02$
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
We called them scooters......
.....in 1970 I had a '56 Harley Davidson, took my furture wife for a ride......so she new what she was getting into..........40 years ago.
⚠️ Last edited by Turkman on UTC; edited 1 time
@chetwynder avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Baart-less

Ossessionato
@chetwynder avatar
Baart-less
UTC quote
mstevens wrote:

She went for her first ride on my Ducati 620 and my 696 the day those came home, too.

My ex was the same way, no matter what it was, bikes, sleds, atv's there was no way in hell she would ride behind me... the truth of the matter is I had a hard time keeping up to her!!! she's a good rider!

Dave
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
She was riding her own small motorcycle before I even met her.
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon
UTC quote
I feel like you are the only member on this board that is qualified to answer that question.

When you are absolutely certain that you can handle the bike and keep 2 people safe, I would take her about a week after that.

My wife thinks I am a good rider so she is comfortable with me and the only thing going thru my mind the entire time is "keep her safe, she is very important".

Have fun,
David
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
Well, she's not my wife yet... but it was pretty early on when I first got the scoot. I'd been riding mopeds and such since I was a kid, though, so I was already comfortable with 1-up riding. I took it slow and she squeezed the air out of me on her first ride, but we worked into it and now I'm happier riding 2-up with her than I am by myself

I don't recommend jumping immediately right into 2-up riding if you are new to PTWs. Ride a bit 1-up to get comfortable with the machine and how it handles. Because once you pop a passenger on there it will feel like you are maneuvering a boat the first time. So get comfortable with the machine and your own abilities first, then take the next step of adding a little more weight near the rear axle (a girl). Just remember, when you are riding alone you're putting yourself in danger, but when you are riding 2-up you're putting someone you love in danger too. So don't rush it But honestly, it's not a big big thing... once you do get comfortable with a passenger you don't even notice. Your motor system will just adjust the way you do your balancing and whatnot without you even thinking about it.

Oh, one other thing - make sure they know the rules. A passenger's sudden flinches can throw the balance of the machine off in an emergency. Your passenger needs some way to know when it is safe to get on, when it is safe to get off, and how they should behave on the scooter. Encourage them not to "backseat" maneuver - like I said, if she sees a pothole and doesn't trust you will do what needs to get done, and she starts to lean back or away from it a little, and maybe grips you too hard... well it can screw you up! And where you might normally have maneuvered out of it fine, now you ARE in a bad position because when you tried to lean the machine your passenger was doing something which made it fight your maneuver. So, set some on-board safety rules and make sure they trust you completely and are going to be good about staying still. They're safety depends on them not interfering with your control of the scoot.
⚠️ Last edited by xantufrog on UTC; edited 2 times
@oldswimcoach avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GT 200, Harley Electra Glide Ultra

Molto Verboso
@oldswimcoach avatar
Vespa GT 200, Harley Electra Glide Ultra
UTC quote
I thought this was a trick question, and was going to answer on your wedding night

I put about 1,000 miles on the Vespa before I did any two up riding, and I had about 5,000 miles on a 50cc at the point I bought the GT. I also put about 1,000 miles on the Electra Glide before I took her out on that rig (couldn't tell she was back there on the Electra!).

I may have ridden too much according to some, and not enough according to others, but I was very comfortable with both machines before I dropped the old lady on the back end. I think that is the rule - when you are really comfortable riding the (pick your scooter/MC) then go with a passenger.
@gopam avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2016 BMW R1200RT & 2007 GT200 & 2020 Vespa GTS SuperSport 300 HPE,2024 Honda ADV 160

Molto Verboso
@gopam avatar
2016 BMW R1200RT & 2007 GT200 & 2020 Vespa GTS SuperSport 300 HPE,2024 Honda ADV 160
UTC quote
mstevens wrote:

your wife rules
@cipote avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Current: 1976 150 Sprint V Previous: VS5 GS 150, 1974 Rally 200, 2005 GT 200

Molto Verboso
@cipote avatar
Current: 1976 150 Sprint V Previous: VS5 GS 150, 1974 Rally 200, 2005 GT 200
UTC quote
Funny my wife rode with me all the time. Then we got married and no more.
@jlcurtis avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4

Hooked
@jlcurtis avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Make sure she has good safety gear. I rode behind my husband on his motorbike for several years after we were married (until he sold the bike. Now we both ride Vespas.)

He's an Toreador Pants guy and he *insisted* that I must wear a full face helmet, jacket and gloves for every ride. I did as he said just to please him. I knew *nothing* about bike safety and safety gear. Now I understand why he insisted and I agree with him whole-heartedly.

If your wife doesn't know about helmets etc, it's up to you to advise her. As an earlier poster said, she's important and her safety is in your hands.
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
When do you take your wife on her first ride?
wedding night External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
Re: When do you take your wife on her first ride?
T5bitsa69 wrote:
wedding night External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
Go and stand in the corner T5
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
UTC quote
This was my wife Debs on her first time on the GT.
No Toreador Pants comments please.

@willmw avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 250, BV250

Addicted
@willmw avatar
MP3 250, BV250
UTC quote
My wife rides her own...but before she got her own, I took her pretty soon after I got mine. It should be stated, however, that I had a LOT of 2-up riding experience growing up with my sister and various cousins.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0172s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0062s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]