@little_white avatar
UTC

Hooked
S 150ie

Hooked
@little_white avatar
S 150ie
UTC quote
My brand new scoot burned about 1/2 a quart in the first 50 or so miles. I had to add oil, and now it's down another 1/2 or so with only 140 miles on the bike. At times, white smoke will puff out of the muffler. I see no leaking, but do smell "burning oil."

Any suggestions (other than take it back to the dealer, because Vespa of Oceanside is now out of business and the closest warranty work is up in LA)?
@kdude avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV 400 (21) , BV 350 (16) SOLD :( , Sprint 150 2015(SOLD), Liberty S150 2018

Ossessionato
@kdude avatar
UTC quote
1/2 quart is a lot of oil relative to the mileage you have done.. just curious do you see any smoke blowing out the back of the scoot ? I'm really surprised its burning that much because quality control back at the piaggio factory would have picked up on that major a problem before shipping ... are you sure your checking the oil on flat surface and wait at least 5 min's before checking the dip stick ?
OP
@little_white avatar
UTC

Hooked
S 150ie

Hooked
@little_white avatar
S 150ie
UTC quote
I've checked the oil hot, and cold as well. When it was down 1/2 again today, it was cold and off the center stand. And yes, unfortunately, I have seen smoke billowing. Which sucks. Rings? Seals?
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
UTC quote
Re: 2011 S 150 i.e. Burning Oil
little white wrote:
My brand new scoot burned about 1/2 a quart in the first 50 or so miles. I had to add oil, and now it's down another 1/2 or so with only 140 miles on the bike. At times, white smoke will puff out of the muffler. I see no leaking, but do smell "burning oil."

Any suggestions (other than take it back to the dealer, because Vespa of Oceanside is now out of business and the closest warranty work is up in LA)?
I have never seen an LX do this in the modern era. Is the exhaust tip dirty? I would certainly have it checked by a dealer.

Did you post pics of it yet?

Best,
David
OP
@little_white avatar
UTC

Hooked
S 150ie

Hooked
@little_white avatar
S 150ie
UTC quote
I've been meaning to post pics, and definitely will. Its a new S 150, fuel injected, and it just breaks my heart that this oil issue is happening. The exhaust tip is clean on the outside and just a bit black on the inside, nothing major.

Also, there's an unfortunate clicking in the belt area upon start up when goes away once I ride.

My dream bike and it's so unfortunate that it has these major issues.

The guys at Motorsport also said that they've never seen this on a brand new bike.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
You have a brand new Vespa with 140 miles on it, the engine is burning a bunch of oil, and it sounds like there is a problem with the CVT???? What the heck are you waiting for? Get that puppy back in to the nearest dealer just as fast as you can get it there. It sounds to me like it may be time for a major rebuild plus a loaner scooter while it is waiting for parts - or possibly an exchange for a new scooter if the engine is not readily repairable. Keep us up to date on how this turns out.
@kdude avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kdude avatar
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
You have a brand new Vespa with 140 miles on it, the engine is burning a bunch of oil, and it sounds like there is a problem with the CVT???? What the heck are you waiting for? Get that puppy back in to the nearest dealer just as fast as you can get it there. It sounds to me like it may be time for a major rebuild plus a loaner scooter while it is waiting for parts - or possibly an exchange for a new scooter if the engine is not readily repairable. Keep us up to date on how this turns out.
Just curious but why would a cvt problem have anything to do with the consumption of oil ?
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
kdude wrote:
Just curious but why would a cvt problem have anything to do with the consumption of oil ?
The OP said there was also a clicking noise coming from the CVT. Just seems to me that a new owner would want to get on this stuff ASAP. I can't think of any explanation for an engine to be burning half a quart of oil each 50 miles that would be anything short of a big deal.
OP
@little_white avatar
UTC

Hooked
S 150ie

Hooked
@little_white avatar
S 150ie
UTC quote
I definitely want to get it looked at right away. The fact that the nearest dealer is now 2 1/2 to three hours away makes it a bit tougher to just bring it somewhere. And yeah, the clicking issue; we checked the belt, it seems fine, but given the whole oil issue, will def get the clicking checked out as well. I guess a road trip to LA is in my future.
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
kdude wrote:
The OP said there was also a clicking noise coming from the CVT. Just seems to me that a new owner would want to get on this stuff ASAP. I can't think of any explanation for an engine to be burning half a quart of oil each 50 miles that would be anything short of a big deal.
IMHO the new owner is also a "new owner" and is confusing the rollers clacking around in the variator to a clicking noise.

Lets all stay calm here........I do agree it should be checked for perfection though.

Best,
David
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
UTC quote
little white wrote:
I definitely want to get it looked at right away. The fact that the nearest dealer is now 2 1/2 to three hours away makes it a bit tougher to just bring it somewhere. And yeah, the clicking issue; we checked the belt, it seems fine, but given the whole oil issue, will def get the clicking checked out as well. I guess a road trip to LA is in my future.
What do you mean "we checked the belt"?

Are you saying you took the trans cover off at 40 miles to check the belt?

Did you do anything else?

Best,
David
@kdude avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kdude avatar
UTC quote
lil white ... i would follow Dave's advise till you find out what's happening ...
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
UTC quote
little white wrote:
Where do you actually live? Its not listed on your avatar box.

Vespa Poway is down there and Vespa Long Beach is closer than 3 hours. I would absolutely have it checked inside out and upside down if you bring it to us. We know these scoots, every nut and bolt however there are places closer to you.

Its not time to have your heart broken, its time to sort out any issue and get you riding with peace of mind.

Best,
David
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
Aloha and welcome to the forum. I wouldn't go pulling things apart just yet. Call a dealer near you (LA one if that's it). Talk with them and see about getting it up there. I think you still have roadside assistance so it should cover your tow to a dealer. Your scooter should not do that. At first glance i thought you had low oil because the dealer hadn't prepped it right but i see you have also put in more. Doesn't sound like you should be riding it. Blows. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
OP
@little_white avatar
UTC

Hooked
S 150ie

Hooked
@little_white avatar
S 150ie
UTC quote
Thanks everyone for the tips and concern. At 40 miles I took it in to Motorsport (but don't want to void the warranty obviously), because I wasn't sure that the PDI had really been done (i.e. the low oil, the tires hadn't been checked, the throttle was a bit loose).

That's when we saw the oil was half down. Yesterday when I check again (upon Robot's recommendation to check again in 50 miles), it was down again. But, I'm hoping this was all a false alarm, because today, the oil level looks fine (I didn't add any yesterday after the "low" reading).

So, I'm going to keep an eye on the oil level. It does definitely puff smoke at times.

Re the "clicking," I'm thinking Dave that you are right and may be variator clacking. Not sure what that is, and if it's a problem or not. I'm not too up on these bikes since my last one was a Kymco.

Long story short, I'll take it day by day, and I appreciate all of the input from a very welcoming community. You will be duly rewarded later when I post photos of the little white!
⚠️ Last edited by little white on UTC; edited 1 time
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
UTC quote
little white wrote:
Thanks everyone for the tips and concern. At 40 miles I took it in to Motorsport (but don't want to void the warranty obviously), because I wasn't sure that the PDI had really been done (i.e. the low oil, the tires hadn't been checked, the throttle was a bit loose).

That's when we saw the oil was half down. Yesterday when I check again (upon Rocket's recommendation to check again in 50 miles), it was down again. But, I'm hoping this was all a false alarm, because today, the oil level looks fine (I didn't add any yesterday after the "low" reading).

So, I'm going to keep an eye on the oil level. It does definitely puff smoke at times.

Re the "clicking," I'm thinking Dave that you are right and may be variator clacking. Not sure what that is, and if it's a problem or not. I'm not too up on these bikes since my last one was a Kymco.

Long story short, I'll take it day by day, and I appreciate all of the input from a very welcoming community. You will be duly rewarded later when I post photos of the little white!
Great. The bike certainly would have a little new scooter smell for 100 miles or so. I have a suspicion that you are all "good to go" so enjoy.

If you need from MV, of course just reply to your own thread here.

Best,
David
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 Super

Hooked
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Little White, I'm a new kid on this block, but your story is troubling to me. I can't imagine any good or proper scenario in which you'd be burning that much oil so fast in the first 50 miles. Here's to hoping your dealer does you right. If not, you may wish to consider legal options. You should not have to endure the time and head-ache of an engine rebuild with a brand new scooter. A brand new scooter should be exactly that. Good luck, and please update us on what happens.
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
Well, I have a question for our new owner/poster and I don't mean to belittle him. When you checked the oil, did you unscrew the stick, wipe it off, screw it all the way down, and then unscrew it to read it? If not, reading the stick without it being fully screwed in can lead to a very false reading. In that case, adding oil to bring it up to the mark would severely overfill the crankcase. That could lead to oil being forced into the cylinder and then burned, hence the smoke. Just a thought.
OP
@little_white avatar
UTC

Hooked
S 150ie

Hooked
@little_white avatar
S 150ie
UTC quote
NightWing wrote:
Well, I have a question for our new owner/poster and I don't mean to belittle him. When you checked the oil, did you unscrew the stick, wipe it off, screw it all the way down, and then unscrew it to read it? If not, reading the stick without it being fully screwed in can lead to a very false reading. In that case, adding oil to bring it up to the mark would severely overfill the crankcase. That could lead to oil being forced into the cylinder and then burned, hence the smoke. Just a thought.
Yep, we definitely checked the oil correctly with the guys at my local scooter shop. I don't know much, but that I do know how to do. Your theory makes sense though.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0150s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0027s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]