UTC

Ossessionato
In constant state of flux...

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
Howdy, folks.

The family and I just got back from spending our holiday in Paris. A fantastic time as as always and I miss being there already. For those of you who may not know, there are more scooters there than there are pick-up trucks in Texas. You name it they had it -- Aprillias, Kymcos, Hondas, Derbis, Peugeots, Yamahas and of course, Piaggios and Vespas, both in classic size and maxi-scoot size. It also seemed like there were equal numbers of motorcycles and bicycles. Paris truly is a 2-wheel-centric city, and per my general observation, the car drivers seem to respect that enough to the point where they drive WITH the 2-wheelers and not AGAINST them, compared to my experience here in the my neck of the woods, while either on my bicycle or scoot.

These scoots were sitting in the rain, covered in soot and still being used as daily drivers in 40º weather. Compared to us in the States, these were their "Ford f150s" and "Honda Civics" -- common stock, and not just weekend toys. As for modern Vespas, I did see quite a few LXs as well as ETs and GTs. If these Parisian owners put there machines through the daily abuse that I saw, than they must know there stuff when it comes to purchasing scooters that will work reliably on a daily basis.

This makes me think about all the horror stories we read on these boards about some of our Vespas. Hard starting, slipping clutches, squealing brakes, etc. (mine included, but since repaired), and the sometimes frustrating experience of getting to bottom of the problem or getting help form a dealer to resolve it -- perhaps all of this is just "normal" per say and what we lack as owners in the U.S. is the critical mass of scooter owners and therefore, a dealer and mechanic network to match in size as compared to Paris.

Not to excuse the dealer's legal and professional obligation to help us resolve any issues under warranty, but maybe the problem is that there are more Vespas being sold than there are certified techs to service them. My guess is that motorcycle and scooter repair shops are as common in Paris as are Pep Boys locations in Los Angeles that service Toyotas, Volkswagens and Dodges alike. That's just my 2 cents hypothesis, but if the number of Vespas, old and new, zooming down the boulevards and parked on sidewalks are any indication of the value of the product we Vespa owners have bought in to, than maybe it's just a matter of time before we have a support network of mechanics and parts distributors to match the growing numbers of scooters on U.S. streets. Maybe then we won't have to dig through message boards (fun as it is) to get simple answers for any problems we might be having with our scoots. Time will tell I guess. In the meantime, long live the Modern Vespa ring of the mechanically inclined.

Lastly, I took some photos of Parisian scooters in the wild. Here's a link to the gallery:

http://homepage.mac.com/tedrobledo/PhotoAlbum36.html

Heres to a happy New Year of safe and abundant scooting.
-robotribe

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
Welcome back. I'm with envy. Thanks for your thoughts and pictures.

One thing I noticed is they seem to be able to park their scooters just about anywhere. I like picture 8 in the slideshow with the Vespa parked perpindicular to the curb. It looks like painted parking lines for scoots and motorcycles. Say what you will about the French, but....
@scooterboi avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX150

Hooked
@scooterboi avatar
LX150
UTC quote
Not here
I would have gotten a GTS 250 if there was a scooter dealer near my town. As it is, I have to drive 50 miles to get my LX serviced, so I decided to stick with the air-cooled 10 year old design, figuring at least somebody local could fix it in an emergency. I wouldn't think of buying a fuel-injected, liquid cooled engine if there wasn't a scooter shop within 10 miles.
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
Nice Pictures
I enjoy the pictures. I'm pretty impressed with the Mac Photo album too. "hupp" has his pics up on a Mac, nice clean layout.

Tim
OP
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
One thing I noticed is they seem to be able to park their scooters just about anywhere. I like picture 8 in the slideshow with the Vespa parked perpindicular to the curb. It looks like painted parking lines for scoots and motorcycles. Say what you will about the French, but....
Yeah. They have designated group parking for motos, scoots and bicycles, as well as the curb parking you saw. For anywhere else, it seems like people just use common sense and courtesy and park them where they won't get in the way of foot traffic. I read an article earlier this year about how the Mayor of Paris wanted to enact a ban on scooters and motorcycles parking on the sidewalks which was was quickly fought (albeit without the burning of cars and buildings) and seemingly won by the opposition per my observation. People using common sense and self responsibility when it comes to their stuff occupying public or common space -- imagine that.
Quote:
I would have gotten a GTS 250 if there was a scooter dealer near my town. As it is, I have to drive 50 miles to get my LX serviced, so I decided to stick with the air-cooled 10 year old design, figuring at least somebody local could fix it in an emergency. I wouldn't think of buying a fuel-injected, liquid cooled engine if there wasn't a scooter shop within 10 miles.
Exactly! I'd imagine getting your scooter serviced over there (if it isn't actually broken down) is as easy as driving it a few miles (or kilometers) to a shop across town and hopping on the subway to get back home if you needed to leave it. When it comes time to picking it up, you do what I just described in reverse. Simple. Done.

(sigh...)
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
The only time I traveled to Paris, France was to bicycle. It was me, my bicycle, panniers with all my worldly possessions, and a rail pass. I was an avid motorcyclist at the time, as I grew-up on motorcycles, but I had no interest in scooters (or motorcycles) on that adventure outing. I do still remember the roads, as I bicycled or walked everywhere, but I don't recall any scooters. I used to know where I was going, by taking note of which side of the river I was on.

More recently, I've worked in Belgium, and the Netherlands. I can't say I remember scooters there either. I do recall many motorcycles and scooters in Singapore though.

Your pictures are awesome!
@wasp avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS250 vintage red

Hooked
@wasp avatar
GTS250 vintage red
UTC quote
No post from anyone IN France on Modern Vespa yet? I haven't noticed but could have overlooked.
@slogans7 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LX150

Enthusiast
@slogans7 avatar
LX150
UTC quote
I brought my wife to France with me a couple of years ago when I worked for a company based in Grenoble. She couldn't get over how many people of all ages drove scooters! Her favorite site was a woman of about 80 zipping through a square in Lyon with her groceries, laundry and dog, all carefully balanced on her Vespa.
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Merci beacoup pour les photos et le reportage!

Here's my all-time favorite French scooter site [be sure to turn up the volume]==>

Devil Scoot

with a close second to the Va Fanculo Scooter Club in Marseille, for their chouette scooter soiree posters like this one >>

OP
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
De rien. C'est mon plaisir.

The only thing that would bother me about owning a scooter in Paris is the sanitation truck that comes and water blasts the dog piss off the sidewalk in the evenings. The motorcycles, bicycles and scooters parked in the line of hose fire are of little concern to them. C'est la vie.
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
pdxvespa wrote:

Here's my all-time favorite French scooter site [be sure to turn up the volume]==>

Devil Scoot

with a close second to the Va Fanculo Scooter Club in Marseille, for their chouette scooter soiree posters like this one >>

Great!! Now I've got that #4@% song stuck in my head :?
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
JerryG wrote:
pdxvespa wrote:
Here's my all-time favorite French scooter site [be sure to turn up thevolume]==>

Devil Scoot
Great!! Now I've got that #4@% song stuck in my head :?
...and that roguish devil icon floating before your eyes...

Meilleures voeux de novel an! 8)
@exonicjay avatar
UTC

Addicted
ET4-150 GTS250ie PX200 with Cozy Sidecar

Addicted
@exonicjay avatar
ET4-150 GTS250ie PX200 with Cozy Sidecar
UTC quote
While in Sicily last year I saw tons of scoots. Saw my first LX there and tryed to bring one home.

Click below for photos of the scooter front in Sicily.

http://w26.photobucket.com/widgets/dynamicflash.php?featuretype=bucketstamp&featurename=SicilyScooters&pa=/c127/ExonicJay/
@shellee avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Piaggio Fly 150

Enthusiast
@shellee avatar
Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
I wonder if the French have helmet laws. Did you see them wearing helmets? I remember pictures my friend sent from China last year, of people flying through the streets on beat-up old scooters wearing only yellow plastic hard hats for protection. Oh and with one child on the back and two more standing on the floorboard, wearing no protection at all.

~ Shellee
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
We like Paris. Paris is wet, cold and miserable this time of year and yet you'll still see people using scooters routinely. You'll see lots of leg aprons, leg robes, Bagsters and Termoscuds... and no one considers them bizarre in the least.
⚠️ Last edited by Packa on UTC; edited 3 times
OP
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
I wonder if the French have helmet laws. Did you see them wearing helmets?
Not sure if it's law, but everyone I saw on a scooter was wearing a helmet. I was curious about it as well and made a point to look for it. Bicycles were a different story -- very rarely did I see cyclists wearing helmets.
Quote:
While in Sicily last year I saw tons of scoots.
Ah, Europe...
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N
UTC quote
yes?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0318s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0032s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]