@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
In constant state of flux...

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
Alright, first off, this is not the detailed or quallified review you'd be getting from a legitimate resource -- just my simpleton observation as an owner. Duh.

MOMO Devil Helmet. This was my Christmas present to myself:
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
Purchased in France for a bit below MSRP (Prix spécial de Noël!) for 249 Euros. I found it at a shop in Paris on Avenue de la Grand Armée which was one of many moto and scooter dealers and accessory shops that lined both sides of that street. Awesome. I wanted a white helmet for more driver visibility compared to my matte black Scorpion helmet.

PROS
* Style: The biggest feature it's got going for it. It reaks Italian sci-fi, sex-inspired, tight jeans, DESTROY ALL ROBOTS design. Standout looks without being as cartoony as I first imagined when I saw it first through pictures alone (do a search on the boards for "helmets" and you'll find this helmet posted elsewhere with a Japanese anime character reference).
* Unique: At least in the States. MOMO helmets aren't sold here officially, I think.
* Comfort/Fit: Very light and seems to fit my wide head much better than my Scorpion helmet. Very easy to pull on and off but still snug enough when strap is closed.
* Chin strap buckle: Nice. Very easy and convenient.
* Details: Stitching, two-tone coloring (hard to see in my photos, but the chin piece is matte silver, not glossy white like the rest of the helmet) and visor tab with MOMO Design intials. Subtle and clean.

CONS
* Price: I think that it's a given with anything Italian-made. We Vespa owners know a thing or four about that. While the styling and construction are great, I think you're paying more for a unique, eye-catching design than you are a better-made or better-functioning helmet. Sound like any other Italian products we know?
* Not DOT approved: For those who care about such things, I'd imagine a big reason MOMOs aren't available in the States are because they haven't gotten or even care to get the DOT certification. However, it does have EU safety compliance, so it's not like you're putting a Tupperware bowl on your head that does nothing for safety.
* Not a true full-face helmet: Looks can be deceiving. It's more of a large visor open-face design with a hard connected chin piece than a true molded one-piece design. While it does cover my chin, I can't help but think that it isn't as safe as a true full-face helmet in a particular circumstance. That said, I'd also say that's a little more "safer" than an open face helmet with just a visor.

Final Thoughts
Well, I obviously wouldn't have spent as much as I did if I didn't think some of the more subjective reasons I've mentioned were worth something to me personally. Spending a good amount of money on something that should be more functional than beautiful when considering the real applications is not beyond Vespa owners. There's a very obvious reason we chose to buy a Vespa and not an arguably more reliable Honda Big Ruckus or Yamaha Vino. I think the same reasoning went into this helmet purchase -- for better or for worse.

Summary
Italian product design: Sex is a must. Practical engineering is a bonus -- if they feel like it.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
That helmet is a work of art!
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
UTC quote
It's COOL!!!
Those little vents on the sides look like the wings on Thor's helmet.
Sexy, Hell, you'll be a Greek god
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
AWESOME helmet
AWESOME helmet and great write up.

Tim
⚠️ Last edited by TFauch on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
The Battle of the Planets helmet is AWESOME !
Winner.
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Sizzingly stylish helmet-- magnifico/magnifique!

Nota bene: Any techno-fetish object purchased in Paris, Milan, London or Tokyo will have a cool factor unmatched by pallid imitations elsewhere. 8)

(Edited to add a ticket to Frankfurt for those with certain automotive techno-fetishes. The streamlined wasp-waisted lines of the classic Vespa has a particular sultry je ne sai quoi in common with the Audi TT, wouldn't you say?)
OP
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
The streamlined wasp-waisted lines of the classic Vespa has a particular sultry je ne sai quoi in common with the Audi TT, wouldn't you say?
I know what you mean. My Plum LX150 is the perfect complement to my cherished silver 2001 Coupe. I still love it like the first day I took it home.
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Wow! Makes me want to be a "jive talking robot". That is one great looking helmet.

You did get extra replacement visors for it right? If not, will it be a pain to get replacements should yours become scratched?

Do they offer interchangable tinted ones as well?

And what's with the flying insects theme? Wasp.. and this Momo helmet to complete the Fly look. Good stuff!

@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
robotribe wrote:
My Plum LX150 is the perfect complement to my cherished silver 2001 Coupe. I still love it like the first day I took it home.
And I'm similarly incurably smitten w/ my '00 aviator gray TTQC-- those flawlessly fluid lines-- >>
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by pdxvespa on UTC; edited 1 time
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
phr3d wrote:
And what's with the flying insects theme? Wasp.. and this Momo helmet to complete the Fly look.
The Fly by Momo: very nice--

The flying insect theme: Vespa = "wasp" in Italiano >>
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
my next helmet

I've got a VR2 now...

I'm a helmet whore
-larry
OP
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
And I'm similarly incurably smitten w/ my '00 aviator gray TTQC-- those flawlessly fluid lines-- >>
Love the aviator gray. That would have been my choice had a close buddy of mine not beaten me to that color. Hey, seeing that your's is heavily modded, you'd be a good person to ask. My warranty just went up -- what would be your recommendation for a harmless mod I can do on my own? I heard owners go on about the diverter valve mod for years on the TT boards. Would you concur?
Quote:
I'm a helmet whore
Nice. Their like neckties or t-shirts, right? 8) Well, only two moto helmets so far, but if the number of cycling helmets I own is any indication of a trend, my wallet is SCREWED.
OP
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
You did get extra replacement visors for it right? If not, will it be a pain to get replacements should yours become scratched?

Do they offer interchangable tinted ones as well?
Nope. They didn't seem to have extra parts nor did they offer any when I asked about additional colored visors. Granted, my French is at a second grade level. I assume that with the inventory of different helmets they had (by simple observation, I'd guestimate they had about 50-60 different models of helmets on display) that it would be impractical to stock spare parts for every helmet they sold.

If my visor gets scratched, sadly, I suppose I'll have to take another trip over there and replace it.
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N
UTC quote
I'm soooo jealous. I've been wanting thet devil helmet for a while now. Maybe if I win the lottrey tonight (EUR 7.000.000 to win) because it ain't a cheap helmet....

I would take a black one

@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
As you say, it looks like it might be less safe than a conventional full face. However, how might it compare to a flip up full face? It's a great looking helmet, and if it works as well as any other full face, I would be hard pressed not to bring one back.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0442s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0080s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]