UTC

Addicted
MP3 250, BV250

Addicted
@willmw avatar
MP3 250, BV250
UTC quote
johndunoon wrote:
I might leave the original bolts in both lower bearings and use the new spare to top up the grease in those from time to time.
I guess I mistakenly assumed that putting these in the top would allow grease to make it to both the top and the bottom (gravity?), but now that I re-read the thread it appears I was wrong. Can someone who's 'been in there' confirm? I can always just use the ones I have to do both top and bottom, but was planning to just leave 'em in.
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
UTC quote
Too many trips to town to work this mod. Whew emoticon

1) I knew I needed a grease gun so before I started i stopped at Lowes to get one.
2) Then I realized I needed a deep socket to go over the grease nipple, so back to Sears to get a deep socket.
3) Then I put the grease gun together and realize it does not have a flexible hose and won't reach the grease nipple so off to Autozone to get a flexible grease gun hose.
4) Back home I put the first bolt in greased it until a little came out the bottom and it started raining.

90 miles in round trips to town for needed parts and multiple times under the MP3 and I am 25% done, BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT!

BTW as another found out it is far more torque to break a bolt free than to put it back correctly. The required torque is not much so be careful and best to use a torque wrench. Northern tool has had coupons in the local paper for a 3/8" click style torque wrench for only $9.95
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Fuzzy wrote:
BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT!

I do hope your aspirations are realised.

Note I'm not bothering with any of this, it makes zero sense to me. I've done the bearing treadmill four times now, and it's not grease that's the answer (though a little helps to keep clag out) - but bearing pre-load. Please remember that, and get the essentials right first!
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
Preaty basic Jim that grease makes bearings last longer. Perhaps while riding the rollers don't move much but then I park it and lock the steering far to the right it rolls fresh lubrication around the rollers. Actually if properly packed with grease slight movement has grease filling in when the roller moves away and under the roller when it comes back. Yes the preload is important, but if Piaggio does not put grease in the bearing it will fail prematurely regardless of preload. This mod replaces grease that Piaggio put in and over time leaves as the bearings are not sealed. I may have a problem next week but so far I have seen over 25,000 miles on the 250 I bought and have over 34,000 miles on my 400 and no steering bearing problem on either.

I have similar applications all over my sawmill where parts only move slightly back and forth and none last without grease but propelry greased last many thousands of hours in operation with forces that would crush an MP3 beyond recognition.
@mjm50cal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON

Ossessionato
@mjm50cal avatar
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT!

I do hope your aspirations are realised.

Note I'm not bothering with any of this, it makes zero sense to me. I've done the bearing treadmill four times now, and it's not grease that's the answer (though a little helps to keep clag out) - but bearing pre-load. Please remember that, and get the essentials right first!
You are proper to make and re-inforce your point, but to be anti grease is odd from you.
@mjm50cal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON

Ossessionato
@mjm50cal avatar
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
UTC quote
Fuzzy wrote:
Too many trips to town to work this mod. Whew emoticon

1) I knew I needed a grease gun so before I started i stopped at Lowes to get one.
2) Then I realized I needed a deep socket to go over the grease nipple, so back to Sears to get a deep socket.
3) Then I put the grease gun together and realize it does not have a flexible hose and won't reach the grease nipple so off to Autozone to get a flexible grease gun hose.
4) Back home I put the first bolt in greased it until a little came out the bottom and it started raining.

90 miles in round trips to town for needed parts and multiple times under the MP3 and I am 25% done, BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT!

BTW as another found out it is far more torque to break a bolt free than to put it back correctly. The required torque is not much so be careful and best to use a torque wrench. Northern tool has had coupons in the local paper for a 3/8" click style torque wrench for only $9.95
You can replace the upper zerks with 90 degree zerks. Take one out and match the threads.
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
So what kind of grease y'all using? I snagged a moly grease from Harbor Freight today - I like moly grease, it tends to protect best in my experience. was tempted by the Lithium grease but I've always seen that as light duty stuff...
@mjm50cal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON

Ossessionato
@mjm50cal avatar
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
UTC quote
Marine wheel bearing grease like for trailers.
Moly based seems good too, I want something water proof/resistant.
I agree about the lithium, but it is better than no grease!
@gonzob avatar
UTC

Addicted
Previously:Fuoco 500ie with Active Suspension. Now: CTX700

Addicted
@gonzob avatar
Previously:Fuoco 500ie with Active Suspension. Now: CTX700
UTC quote
Hi all.

I made my own "lube bolt" a few months ago and ADJUSTED (very important) the front end, then greased it, re-torquing the bolts after removal for greasing. I used high temp bearing grease.

Note that
1. the bearings weren't adjusted correctly, and
2. very little Italian grease was flushed out by this process.

Now, about weekly, I have to wipe a small amount of grease off the bottom of the steering stems. It keeps oozing out - I guess the road vibrations does it. I figure this is a GOOD thing, as it keeps the grease up to the bearings, forces out any grit, and when it stops, I'll know I've run out of grease. It doesn't come out the top of the stems, but it did while I was greasing.

Gonzo
@rank_bajin avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 - 500

Hooked
@rank_bajin avatar
MP3 - 500
UTC quote
1 Month Later
One month after doing the bearing lube the feeling of silky smoothness is still there. The front end steering is so much lighter than before, while the difference at first was quite surprising and took a bit adjusting to, there is no doubt in my mind of the improved ride.

Perhaps this will show up in Piaggios Suggestion Box. They will of course have one. Won't they ??

@jerryw avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500, Honda PCX

Molto Verboso
@jerryw avatar
MP3 500, Honda PCX
UTC quote
I got my bolts but had the tilt-lock problem and am slow to get them in. This may be a help since I get better information on the torque, grease, etc. But I have one big question still. Have you guys decided to just leave these bolts in the bike all the time or do you just put them in to install the grease and then go back to the originals for riding?

Late Edit: My warranty has run out.
⚠️ Last edited by jerryw on UTC; edited 1 time
@daves avatar
UTC

MP3 400 LT

@daves avatar
MP3 400 LT
UTC quote
jerryw wrote:
Have you guys decided to just leave these bolts in the bike all the time or do you just put them in to install the grease and then go back to the originals for riding?
I took the more conservative approach, just in case of warranty issues, and put the adapter bolts in for injecting grease and then put the original bolts back in. I also noticed less resistance in turning the steering after injecting the grease, and I only injected enough grease for the bearings and not so much to fill the whole tube.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Thanks Mike. Mine came while I was out of town. Hopefully I will install them this weekend. Have to get a new torque wrench.
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Thanks Mike. Mine came while I was out of town. Hopefully I will install them this weekend. Have to get a new torque wrench.
I needed a breaker bar to get one of mine to release. Again the torque wrench is a good idea, putting back to the same torque as removal would be a mistake.
@jerryw avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500, Honda PCX

Molto Verboso
@jerryw avatar
MP3 500, Honda PCX
UTC quote
I just finished the "grease-bolt" mod and took it for a spin. It felt much smoother. I'm very happy with the result. Of course, that could be illusory but, if so, it is one of the best illusions I've had lately.
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
jerryw wrote:
I just finished the "grease-bolt" mod and took it for a spin. It felt much smoother. I'm very happy with the result. Of course, that could be illusory but, if so, it is one of the best illusions I've had lately.
LOL - excellent turn of the phrase there Jerry!
@torqueboy avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500

Hooked
@torqueboy avatar
Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
I'm just curious if any of the Vespa service centers know of this mod and what they have to say about it. As a Piaggio owner I like the looks of the zert bolts, but as a mechanical engineer I'm always hesitant to make design changes without consulting the original designer, or at least the servicer. I am especially careful because I don't want to void the remainder of my warranty.
@maynard_schweigert avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@maynard_schweigert avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Ever since they outlawed asbestos additives to grease, this is the only product I have trusted.
If you can find it you can not go wrong. The "Red "N" Tacky" has been my favorite.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=46&catid=14&loc=show
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by Maynard Schweigert on UTC; edited 1 time
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
Torqueboy wrote:
I am especially careful because I don't want to void the remainder of my warranty.
It's simple - if you're worried then don't do it. A three year warranty doesn't last all that long anyway assuming you plunked down the extra for it. My philosophy is that if it prevents a problem then they'll not have cause to look there to begin with.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
it looks factory so I doubt most dealers would even notice.
@jerryw avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500, Honda PCX

Molto Verboso
@jerryw avatar
MP3 500, Honda PCX
UTC quote
I talked it over with the shop at my dealership and showed them one of the bolts. They said they couldn't install them -- against the rules. It makes sense. It isn't a factory approved part. If something went wrong they (and Piaggio) could catch hell.

Of course not being "approved" don't bother me much. I have a J Costa and HIT clutch.

Late edit addition: I talked to a couple of guys who left the grease bolts in and went with them on that. It will be easier to grease in the future and the bolts should be strong enough.
⚠️ Last edited by jerryw on UTC; edited 1 time
@g03 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 08

Molto Verboso
@g03 avatar
MP3 500 08
UTC quote
left mine in place. torqued them down to 45, the lowest setting. Measured the pull with a fish scale, and only noticed a small change on the further end of turning. Agree with Jim about the proper locknut setting, but a little grease to keep them lubed cannot hurt at all.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
G03 wrote:
left mine in place. torqued them down to 45, the lowest setting. Measured the pull with a fish scale, and only noticed a small change on the further end of turning. Agree with Jim about the proper locknut setting, but a little grease to keep them lubed cannot hurt at all.
how did you use a fish scale to measure torque? And get it up in the tight area of the upper bolt?
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
G03 wrote:
how did you use a fish scale to measure torque? And get it up in the tight area of the upper bolt?
Not measureing torque on bolts but how easy the steering turns.
@g03 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 08

Molto Verboso
@g03 avatar
MP3 500 08
UTC quote
put a bungee cord around the front tire, and pulled sideways with fish scale. Front wheels jacked up off ground under the gas tank on frame. Used a 12 inch ruler on the ground, to notice the differance at each 1/2 inch incrument. Same proceedure for goldwing bearings test, for tightness.
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
G03 wrote:
put a bungee cord around the front tire, and pulled sideways with fish scale. Front wheels jacked up off ground under the gas tank on frame. Used a 12 inch ruler on the ground, to notice the differance at each 1/2 inch incrument. Same proceedure for goldwing bearings test, for tightness.
Fair test for tightness of the bearing clearace, but packing the bearing with grease can actually increase the pull as the bearing works harder pushing the grease out of the way. Perhaps not the best test of this mod.
@roadcaptain avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX200 GTS300

Hooked
@roadcaptain avatar
PX200 GTS300
UTC quote
when I last did the bearings did up so as only to take out lateral play, fitted grease nipples and applied grease. Checked every 200 miles or so for lateral play and added grease.

bearings lasted.....................................................................................

2000miles!! Crying or Very sad emoticon

am now selling the Fugly as can no longer justify the costs involved in keeping it on the road!! shame as I loved riding it
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Who did the work on your fugly as the bearings should have lasted a long time. I know there are scoots out there with 10,000 + miles and never had bearings done and no issues.
@roadcaptain avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX200 GTS300

Hooked
@roadcaptain avatar
PX200 GTS300
UTC quote
I did them this time, my bike has 15,000 miles on and now needs it's 4th set
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
Roadcaptain wrote:
Holy Moley! 4 sets??!!!! Can't say I blame you. Wonder if some manufacturing issue is involved there - that certainly doesn't seem right. Tube not bored right/distorted keeping the bearings misaligned with shear torque...
@roadcaptain avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX200 GTS300

Hooked
@roadcaptain avatar
PX200 GTS300
UTC quote
it is always the top race that gets grooved so it needs some sort of extra hardening I guess
@mjm50cal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON

Ossessionato
@mjm50cal avatar
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
UTC quote
Roadcaptain wrote:
Damn!
@roadcaptain avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX200 GTS300

Hooked
@roadcaptain avatar
PX200 GTS300
UTC quote
I also had my head gasket go!
@mjm50cal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON

Ossessionato
@mjm50cal avatar
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
UTC quote
Hope that that was only once and not 4 times too!

I have not had any of the issues that some of the others had. The air box/oil thing was a PITA. Wish I could ride more. Been very busy with work lately, and that is a good thing.
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
Roadcaptain wrote:
it is always the top race that gets grooved so it needs some sort of extra hardening I guess
Have you checked it for concentricity? If it's out of round even slightly or has some flash or defect that will distort the race landing then you can have issues. Easy to do with a dial indicator and a way to center it.
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
Roadcaptain there is something else causing your bearing problem. 4 times for same repair over here would qualify for a lemon law refund or replacement. Mine has 34,246 miles and the bearings are not yet showing signs of problems.

As to the benefit of the grease I had my first good ride today and noticeably smoother. I'll ride over 200 miles tomorrow afternoon for a longer test, but I like it.
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
Did a 200+ mile ride today. Definite improvement in steering.
@ponydrvr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D

Molto Verboso
@ponydrvr avatar
Honda CTX 700D
UTC quote
I installed mine about three weeks ago. Greased up the top and bottom and have ridden ~660 miles so far. I have noticed that the steering requires less effort and seems a bit more responsive. I believe there is higher feedback to input effort.

As jerryw said "...that could be illusory but, if so, it is one of the best illusions I've had lately."
@mjm50cal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON

Ossessionato
@mjm50cal avatar
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
UTC quote
Ordered 50 more bolts. They'll be here next week.
@wildblue avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio Liberty S 150 (Retired: Piaggio MP3 500)

Hooked
@wildblue avatar
Piaggio Liberty S 150 (Retired: Piaggio MP3 500)
UTC quote
mjm50cal wrote:
Ordered 50 more bolts. They'll be here next week.
Have these already been spoken for or is there room to order a few for a newbie to the whole steering notch issue? Thanks!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0549s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0185s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]