@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
My new mid-size windshield from scooter parts direct came in Thursday afternoon. I installed it this morning Sat, and promptly went out for a ride. it helped that it was mid 50's today. Took a nice at least one hour ride.
Thanks to all on helping with the mounting help. In the end the pictures were more help than the instructions. After I got started it really was not to hard to figure out.

Now on to the review.

Pros: Greatly reduced the wind hitting my chest. This was great less wind, longer saddle time.
My hands felt toasty also (remimber mid 50's) but we shall see on the next cold spell.
My speed felt. easier, quicker, not sure just might have been a mental thing.
It was breezy today, and I really did not notice the "sail effect" I hope that remains the same.

Cons: The noise inside my helmet was more intense/louder. I am gonna have to get some ear-plugs.
I got to get used to looking over the screen, and not try to look through it.
My left pinky hit the windshield a couple of times. I can not bend the front knuckle due to an encounter with a knife. I will adjust how I ride to handle that.

All in all I really like it. I give it a 8 out of 10. One point loss for lousy instrustions, one for increased noise in helment. Very glad I bought it will continue to evaluate as time goes on, Beale.
@xman avatar
UTC

Addicted
gt200

Addicted
@xman avatar
gt200
UTC quote
Hey beale, Glade you got it worked out. Yeah now that you mentioned it it does add a little noise. Maybe you can put some fake fur on the top of the screen , like a sound mic. Hehe...joking ...and serious. Sorry I couldn't lend a hand, I was almost going to see if I could call ya and explain...hehe, but I figured someone would help ya.

X
@mgg avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 BV500

Hooked
@mgg avatar
2007 BV500
UTC quote
HI Beale;

Thanks for the review. I got mine delivered just 3 or 4 days after I ordered it. Decided to put it together before I get my GT back from the paint shop and I am glad I did as it was missing 2 parts.

They should be on the way soon and if the weather holds up I can also do a review.

Regards
MGG
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 250

Enthusiast
GTS 250
UTC quote
Hi guys
I have a smoke sport shield on my GT and have noticed more wind noise in my helmet even though I routinely wear ear plugs. It takes the wind blast off your chest and works great in foul weather.

The biggest improvement however is a significant gain in cruise and top speed. The effect must be attributed to smoothing out the air flow over the rider. Speeds in the 70 to 80mph indicated are easily maintained with half throttle and well over 90 at WFO. I feel that this level of performance increase makes the addition of a small windscreen worthwhile. I am perfectly happy cruising on the hwy with the scooter quietly and smoothly performing in a relaxed manner. Adding a aftermarket pipe or changing the variator/clutch doesn't make sense IMHO. Usually its the aftermarket stuff that screws up a bike due to fitment or a weakness in design that the factory has worked out in the stock parts. Just my 2c's.

Peter
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
BajaPete - Those are really amazing numbers for what sounds like a stock GT. You really think it's the windscreen giving you that boost?
OP
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
BajaPete - Those are really amazing numbers for what sounds like a stock GT. You really think it's the windscreen giving you that boost?
Jess I have noticed this as well. Prior to installing my windshield 70 mph was a struggle for me. As I have said before I am a big guy, 275 and 6'3", so that affects speed I am sure.

Now that I have been on 2 long (over an hour each) rides I am sure the windshield helps. I find that 70 comes easy with throttle left for more. On a flat yesterday saw 75 without to much effort. I find that I really have to watch my speed, It is just so easy to go above posted. Also in turns and curves on roads I know "very well" , I find myself having to be more carefull. I really am having to re-learn the feel of the Vespa. I allmost missed a turn because was not paying attention to speed and was going to fast. Problem was it felt the same as before.

As it stands now I am really enjoying the windshield, will keep reviewing for myself, and share as it merits, Beale.
@zipmon avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2006 LX50 (Florida), 2007 LX125 (Italy)

Enthusiast
@zipmon avatar
2006 LX50 (Florida), 2007 LX125 (Italy)
UTC quote
I've experienced a similar effect on my LX50; I got a small sport/fly screen for christmas. Before, I'd get up to speeds 40 or so easily, but the full climb up to 48 could only be achieved on long stretches of US1. Now I find myself looking down at the speedo to find it at 48-50 within a block or two on normal streets. It really smoothed out the acceleration at the top end of things for me!

I was skeptical of people saying that their windshields made their scooters faster, my dealer even said that it "might slow it down a bit!" But now that I've fitted one, I can attest that it made a very noticeable, very welcome difference!
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 250

Enthusiast
GTS 250
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Jess

It really was a significant improvement that is most noticable the faster you go. Acceleration seems about the same. I was pleasantly surprised and now have reduced the need for WOT when on the freeway. As others have noted the increase can surprise you with higher corner entry speed. I found the front suspension to be soft and underdampened so I changed it to the Bitubo setup for added control. I'm happy with the GT set up this way. BTW I'm 5'9" and weigh 165lb.

BajaPete
@bwyn avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 SOLD

Addicted
@bwyn avatar
GTS250 SOLD
UTC quote
BajaPete, what is WOT?
OP
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
WOT= wide open throttle? Could be, Beale.
@bwyn avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 SOLD

Addicted
@bwyn avatar
GTS250 SOLD
UTC quote
Thanks Beale
@lisaesca avatar
UTC

Hooked
05 Vespa GT200 & 02 Honda Reflex

Hooked
@lisaesca avatar
05 Vespa GT200 & 02 Honda Reflex
UTC quote
No squeak?
Am I the only one whose Scooter Parts Direct Isotta Medium Windscreen (that covers your hand area) makes contact with the clear headlight plastic a little and squeaks and rattles when you go over bumps? Does everyone have their hardware so tight that you don't hear ANYTHING?

Lisa

PS: We have not sanded or altered the windscreen in any way (yet).
OP
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
Hey Lisa, yes mine rattles and squeeks. I do not notice it too bad, I wear a full face helmet. Have you tried to move it down & away? Xman had a drawing on this in Windscreen Opinions wanted. Might be worth the effort.
I do a lot of long rides, do not ride in town much. The noise is less noticable at 60 than at 35. I may try Xmans method myself. Good luck, I do like the windshield even with this issue, Beale.
UTC

Enthusiast
GT250

Enthusiast
GT250
UTC quote
FACO mid-size winshield
I installed my FACO mid-size on my GT early December. I had a fly screen before, but wanted some additional wind protection "Higher up" am 6'3 - with the fly screen I still got a fair amount of wind on neck and got a LOT of wind into my helmet to the point that I had tears in my eyes WITH a full-face helmet. That has greatly improved with the mid-size screen. GT also feels more stable and smooth on the freeway...love it. Funny thing I noticed the other day is that my scarf was flying forward and not backwards as one would expect when going fast. Guess there is quite a bit of backdraft from the screen. That might also be a reason for the windnoise in the helmet - might it come from the back and not the front? Anybody else noticed that?
cheers,
berndt
@larrydj avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS Super 300ie

Hooked
@larrydj avatar
Vespa GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
Berndt,

I'm curious if your FACO windshield is the clear or smoke version. I'm thinking of getting it also, but debating whether smoke would look "cooler" on my black GT, but trading that off with what looking through the windshield might be like.

Also, would it be possible to have a machine shop bend the metal rod supports to give the windshiled more rake, or whether it would then interfere with the mirrors, my helmet etc. Any observations would be appreciated.
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
I'd be leary of bending it back for more raske, Larry. It's best to have the windshield at the same angle as the steering tube.
@larrydj avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS Super 300ie

Hooked
@larrydj avatar
Vespa GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
Thanks mongoose.

I asked becuase it appeared to me, through photos, that the windshield wasn't as steep as the steering tube. It could be a photo illusion though.
UTC

Enthusiast
GT250

Enthusiast
GT250
UTC quote
FACO
Larry -

yeah - the windshield is pretty much the same angle as the steering column. Bending it more might actually be a bit weird when you have to lean forward slightly for pushing the GT off the stand. I have the clear windshield since I didn't want any obstruction of sight...however the smoked one might be fine...

berndt
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 250

Enthusiast
GTS 250
UTC quote
Beale wrote:
WOT= wide open throttle? Could be, Beale.
Exactly.

More PC than WFO. If you know what I mean 8)

BajaPete
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0329s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0060s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]