OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I've never bought an extended warranty on anything, but am contemplating one for my new GTS when it arrives. Almost every new car has at least 3 year's cover these days, but the 2-wheeler world seems to be stuck at 12 months. And that one year goes by pretty quick. Ride your new $5000 machine for a year, and next thing you know you're out of warranty.

Is there an extended warranty available in the U.S. from Vespa/Piaggio? Anyone buy one? Cost? Concerns? Discuss.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I bought one for my GT (two extra years) so I'm sure there must be one for the GTS. I've never bought an extended warranty before either, but the cost was actually pretty reasonable and it seemed like a good idea.

The only real downside is that the extended warranty does a lot to inhibit major mods, but that might be fine for a lot of people.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Thanks Jess. Do you recall about how much the plan cost? I love my GT and I'm sure the GTS will be even better, but I just do not trust the quality control very much. It seems the machines are very well designed and engineered but not so well built.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
See PM.
@giuliano avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio X9 "Lexx"

Addicted
@giuliano avatar
Piaggio X9 "Lexx"
UTC quote
My UK GT came with a two year warranty, including one year roadside recovery which I think is standard in Europe now for all Piaggio machines.
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
I tell all my customers that an extended warranty is a sucker's bet.

for the most part they just don't break.

-larry
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
Larry that is what my dealer told me. Hope so i did not get one. I have allready replaced a torn "starter" housing gasket under warranty, Beale.
@coffedrink avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 mp3 500, 1960 Lambretta Li 150

Hooked
@coffedrink avatar
2008 mp3 500, 1960 Lambretta Li 150
UTC quote
I think I paid 350 for the extended warrenty. One carb, one clutch, one belt + Labor. I think it has already paid for itself
UTC

Lurker
GT200

Lurker
GT200
UTC quote
When I bought my GT200 in June 2003 I paid just £30.00 to extend the warranty to three years. So far the only work done, at the last service about a month ago, has been to replace the horn switch which wasn't working correctly. This was done under the warranty so cost me nothing.
However, some of you may have seen my previous post about the problem of the headlight not working. The scooter's gone into the dealer today and I should be able to pick it up tomorrow sometime. I'll let you know what the problem was. Assuming this too is covered by the warranty I'll consider it to have been well worth it for £30.00.

I wonder why there's a big difference between the cost of the warranty here in the UKand in the US? I read about some act you have there that allows you to service your own scoots and use non-Vespa parts without invalidating the warranty, or something like that. Parhaps Vespa are covering themselves?
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
In constant state of flux...

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
In constant state of flux...
UTC quote
Quote:
I tell all my customers that an extended warranty is a sucker's bet.

for the most part they just don't break.
Guess I'm a sucker, but believe me when I say that I hope you're right!
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125
UTC quote
Damn do I wish I had bought one considering all the crap I went through with my GT. I still don't know that I trust it.

But the original warranty easily paid for itself what with the clutch rebuilds, etc....
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
The reason I started this thread is that I worked for years in & around car dealerships, and we all knew that service contracts (aka "extended warranty") were a waste of money in most cases. So of course I would never consider one. But with Piaggio I wonder if it's different.

First, I've heard (possibly incorrectly) that they extend the regular warranty, i.e. no deductible and everything except wear/tear is covered. Second, repair service I've paid for has been very expensive. Third, the warranty is only one year (which is very short to me) and my GT just started really feeling "broken in" after a year. Lastly, we had three warranty claims on one GT and two claims on the other. And 3 months out of warranty my battery died which cost me $75.

So for the new GTS which is coming, I'm a tad concerned. Anyone able to verify if my understanding is correct? If I could just extend the regular warranty to 3 years for less than $400 I might consider it. It's a gamble, and most likely a sucker's bet. But still I'm concerned. What to do? What to do?
@mgg avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 BV500

Hooked
@mgg avatar
2007 BV500
UTC quote
Haven't had a lot of trouble water pump went out right after the warenty was up. Haven't had a problem scince but that cost over $350.00 to have replaced. I don't remember what the extended warenty cost. I thought plunking down $5900 for the GT with Top Case was enough at the time. (Guess not.) If the warenty cost $350.00 then I broke even so far. Lets see what this next year brings.

Didn't have one problem with my ET4 and thought I wouldn't have any with the GT.

I would buy the warrenty on any new product. Provided it is at a reasonable cost. If I decide to go GTS it won't be for several years.
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
mgg, did you get your scoots at Reina?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0344s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0042s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]