OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500

Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500
UTC quote
Hello, I am new to this group.
I currently do not have a scooter but I am looking to get one in the near future. My problem is which one to buy. Here is my dilema:
1. Like the looks of the Vespa 200GT / GTS
2. Like the big wheels / size of the BV 250. The BV 250 looks ok but I am not sure about the windshield.
3. Also like the looks of the BV 500 but it is a bit bigger than I really want.

My experience has been with motorcycles. Started with a dual purpose 250 and ended with a 600 sport bike. Sold all of the Motorcyles several years ago and now I want the simplicity of a scooter. I purchased a Bajaj a couple of years ago and did NOT like it. I live in the suburbs and need a scooter that has enough power to pull out of a residential street on to a 50mph road. The Bajaj was scary! Also, the brakes were weak and at speeds over say 40mph it exhibited head shake. Not to mention the gear shifting was less than natural. So, I sold the Bajaj.

I have never ridden an automatic scooter or any Piaggio/Vespa. So, my concerns about the 200/250cc scooters are:
Can it accelerate briskly enough to enter a 50mph road with traffic?
With regard to the GT/GTS, will it feel stable at 50-60mph or will I constantly be wondering when those little 12" wheels will hit something small and fling me off?

I am really leaning toward a GT/GTS but after a not so good experience with the Bajaj, I just don't want to make another (2x more costly) mistake.

Thank you for any advice.
-Paul
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Re: Looking for advice...
Welcome to the forum, pasone.
pasone wrote:
So, my concerns about the 200/250cc scooters are:
I've not ridden a 200 or 250 (yet), but my 150 pulls into traffic fine. Not as quickly as a sportbike, but fast enough.
Quote:
With regard to the GT/GTS, will it feel stable at 50-60mph or will I constantly be wondering when those little 12" wheels will hit something small and fling me off?
My ET has 10" wheels, and it feels stable at 50-60mph, although that's pretty topped out. The GT/GTS can certainly go faster, though.
@ifixjets avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
01 ET2 - 01 ET4 -- 05 GT200L / 05 PX150 / 1986? Honda CH150 Deluxe.

Ossessionato
@ifixjets avatar
01 ET2 - 01 ET4 -- 05 GT200L / 05 PX150 / 1986? Honda CH150 Deluxe.
UTC quote
I too used to ride larger sport bikes and cruisers, but stopped riding them many years ago. I now have the GT200. I weigh in about 265lbs and I have no troubles at all with accelerating or riding on the freeways at 65-70mph. The 12" wheels are very stable, and are a bit wider then the ones on a Bajaj. I liked the GT over the other Piaggio models, classic looks and all metal body. But whichever model you choose, I am sure you would be happy with. Get what you feel most comfortable on. Try them out if you can. Happy Riding. Bear.
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
UTC quote
Quote:
I ride a Piagio lt150 on the freeway every day for about 5 miles each way to work and have always felt okay with it in most traffic. I bought a GT200 last month and it is better, much better on the freeway.

And as far as tire size.....the BV will be more stable at high speeds.....the Vespa will have quicker handling and above all STYLE*

IMHO, get the Vespa.

Rich
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
As far as 2 wheels, whether it's a bicycle or scooter or moto cross cycle or whatever, riders will tell you: "Go ride before you buy!" I'm a big mountain biker and none of my biking friends would buy a new bike without riding it first. Yet some of my scooter friends have bought scooters without riding them. Makes no sense to me.

Unfortunately, many shops have a stingy test ride policy. So you may have to look around.

Even if you have to travel, locate dealers that allow test rides. Or contact local scooterists. Most of us have a lot of love for our fellow scooter people and I'm sure someone would let you try theirs. I was not super-interested in the GT until I test rode it. It was so much more refined and stable than other scoots, much more like a motorcycle, that I made my mind up on the spot. They are fine on the freeway at up to 65 or 70.
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
I have never put my GT on the Interstate and probably will not. I get people cutting in front of me and doing to much silly stuff on my big Chevy truck as it is.
Now saying that the Gt will "get up and go" I ride all over the place and have been on 4 lane divided highways, just not Interstates. It will run 60-65 without any issue. I really like to cruise at around those speeds, very comfortable. No issues with wheel wobble. shimmy, etc.
Like others have said get out and try to ride a few. Check both the BV, and the GT out. Buy the one you like the best. Have fun enjoy the ride, Beale.
@vesparican avatar
UTC

Hooked
NONE (At this moment)

Hooked
@vesparican avatar
NONE (At this moment)
UTC quote
Due to the increasing "scooter-boom" here in Puert Rico I've riden the chinesse scotters before I bought my 200L. And my opinion is this one:
Vespa is Vespa mi amigo.

VESPARICAN 8)
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
Re: Looking for advice...
pasone wrote:
My problem is which one to buy. Here is my dilema:
1. Like the looks of the Vespa 200GT / GTS
2. Like the big wheels / size of the BV 250. The BV 250 looks ok but I am not sure about the windshield.
3. Also like the looks of the BV 500 but it is a bit bigger than I really want.
Hey Paul,

Wecome to the group. I ride a GT200. I've got about 6400 miles on it in all kinds of "interesting" riding conditions and I like it. It certainly will accelerate onto a 50-55mph road with no problem. I ride mine on the interstate at 70+mph all the time without worries. The thing is, I like the Piaggio BVs, too. Really, the decision boils down to the classic scooter looks of the GT200 (or GTS250) versus the bigger wheels and better (more motorcycle-like) handling of the BV. I would skip the BV200, though, and get the BV250 if you go that way. I'm advised by knowledgeable folks that the BV250s which are coming in soon will have carburators versus later BV250s which are supposed to have fuel injection. So, if that's a concern, and you want to go the BV route, you might want to take that into consideration.

Either way, welcome to the group and please let us know what you decide and how you like it!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0270s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0016s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]