@jerzyflix avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2010 White 300 GTS

Enthusiast
@jerzyflix avatar
2010 White 300 GTS
UTC quote
Hi; wondering if the MV community can recommend some good riding gloves (esp. in the LA area if there's a good store; I'd like to try them on vs. ordering blindly online if possible).

Wiki here only has threads on helmets and earplugs, so thought I'd start a new thread requesting the info.

Also, if there's any other essential gear you think one should have, lemme know.

Incredibly, though it is August, it is still really cool weather here in LA - riding at night gets cold fast! I've taken to leaving a sweatshirt under my seat to throw on over whatever shirt I'm wearing just to fend off the chill - - over 40mph and the wind just slices through me.

As always, thanks in advance for your ideas.
@harvey avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Honda NC750XD, 2007 GTS (sold),

Ossessionato
@harvey avatar
UTC quote
I would vote for above ankle boots/shoes. Without being too graphic, ankles are a weak point in the human design.
@t-bone avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@t-bone avatar
UTC quote
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=FTL_SEG173-BW-SM_G

just picked these gloves up not to long ago...!!! have to say they are the best gloves I have EVER had....
@mgg avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 BV500

Hooked
@mgg avatar
2007 BV500
UTC quote
I would check out Web Bike World. I have gotten many ideas from them. I ended up getting Lee Parks gloves which I love. They did not look that good when I got them and I thought they were a little big but they actually seam to grow or shrink a little to fit your hand. Very comfortable in all but the very hottest and coldest weather.

+1 on boots that protect your ankles. I bought Harley boots with zippers because I am lazy. I broke my ankle in an accident and I probably could have avoided the break by wearing ankle covering boots.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
We have two pairs of these. They are comfortable, have leather padding over the finger knuckles, leather palms, and plastic reinforcement over the finger-to-wrist knuckles. They are $45 on Newenough.com here. Newenough has some incredible deals on discontinued equipment and I've shopped there often.

Best
Miguel
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
Honda of North Hollywood has a good selection of riding gloves. It's great to be able to try them on. I've bought two pairs of gloves there - they both fit me just right. One was a size large, and the other a 2XL - different brands. I'm normally a size XL in gloves.

They're located on Tujunga just off the intersection of Burbank Blvd. and Lankershim (behind the Denny's). Don't confuse them with Bill Robertson Honda (cars) up the street.

I'm an Toreador Pants (All The Gear - All The Time) guy, but +1 on the boots in particular. Feet and ankles are vulnerable.
@caroanbill avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS300HPE PX150 BMW1200R

Addicted
@caroanbill avatar
GTS300HPE PX150 BMW1200R
UTC quote
If you're getting gloves, makes sure you get good knuckle protection ... a friend is on the list for titanium knuckles after a slow-speed "off" wearing Harley-style light summer leather gloves (they simply disintegrated on impact and gave no proection to his fingers). Plenty of good, inexpensive styles to choose from.

(I'd advocate decent proetction in a jacket, pants and especially boots too, but this is not a "preaching" site.)
@chia avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LXS 125 i.e.

Hooked
@chia avatar
Vespa LXS 125 i.e.
UTC quote
Harvey wrote:
I would vote for above ankle boots/shoes. Without being too graphic, ankles are a weak point in the human design.
I wore my horse riding boots on my scooter last weekend and was wondering if motorcycle boots also have metal reinforcements (e.g. In the sole) . Is this dangerous? Otherwise my boots have great toe and ankle protection and a slight heel which gives me an extra inch to reach the ground. Just a tad worried bout the metal flat bar that runs through the sole!!!! Any comments appreciated :p
@sandman avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 GTS 250 Super, 1970 Harley Davidson XLCH

Hooked
@sandman avatar
UTC quote
Harvey wrote:
While hard toe boots may protect the toes, unless you ride around in ski boots or armored racing boots, I have yet to see a set of boots that will protect the ankles from anything beyond road rash, and that doesn't limit itself to weak points of the body. There maybe minimal protection from "ankle twisting" (torn ligaments and tendons), but the boots would need to be a pretty snug fit and even then it is questionable. As a medical doctor, I can tell you that the force needed to fracture a bone in the ankle cannot be stopped by a piece of leather. If you are really serious about protecting your ankles, you need to buy those racing boots with the armored ankle protectors, but your standard leather motorcycle boot will offer little in the way of ankle protection. I wear boots for several reasons. The rubber sole keeps me from slipping at stops, they protect my feet and toes, and they look good, but they will not protect my ankles.
@sandman avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@sandman avatar
UTC quote
chia wrote:
I wore my horse riding boots on my scooter last weekend and was wondering if motorcycle boots also have metal reinforcements (e.g. In the sole) . Is this dangerous? Otherwise my boots have great toe and ankle protection and a slight heel which gives me an extra inch to reach the ground. Just a tad worried bout the metal flat bar that runs through the sole!!!! Any comments appreciated :p
It should be fine. The only way that could even possibly be a problem is if you had an impact from the bottom of your feet, and that is unlikely. Even in that instance the metal will more likely protect you than cause a problem.
@papa_j avatar
UTC

Hooked
Black Bess GT200L Vespa ET4, 125cc '02 Green gene

Hooked
@papa_j avatar
UTC quote
chia wrote:
Riding boots ooh la la very nice..

Nearly all the top racing boots have a form of metal running the length of the sole. So it must be a benefit.
@papa_j avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@papa_j avatar
UTC quote
Sandman wrote:
Harvey wrote:
While hard toe boots may protect the toes, unless you ride around in ski boots or armored racing boots, I have yet to see a set of boots that will protect the ankles from anything beyond road rash, and that doesn't limit itself to weak points of the body. There maybe minimal protection from "ankle twisting" (torn ligaments and tendons), but the boots would need to be a pretty snug fit and even then it is questionable. As a medical doctor, I can tell you that the force needed to fracture a bone in the ankle cannot be stopped by a piece of leather. If you are really serious about protecting your ankles, you need to buy those racing boots with the armored ankle protectors, but your standard leather motorcycle boot will offer little in the way of ankle protection. I wear boots for several reasons. The rubber sole keeps me from slipping at stops, they protect my feet and toes, and they look good, but they will not protect my ankles.
Everybody is agreed that any thick or firm protection over the ankle is better than nothing at all.

Boots help a lot in London due to the fact that when you park your scooter up you'll be lucky if there is room to get one foot down between your scooter and the next one.!!!
@scutrbrau avatar
UTC

The Beer Guy
2010 GTS 300 Super and 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT

The Beer Guy
@scutrbrau avatar
UTC quote
I just got a pair of Icon Super Duty 3 boots and love them. Very sturdy and they offer great protection.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/10482/ITEM/Icon-Super-Duty-3-Boots.aspx

I have Corazzo Carbone gloves. Very grippy and well vented for warmer weather.

http://www.corazzo.net/carbone-gloves
@chia avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LXS 125 i.e.

Hooked
@chia avatar
Vespa LXS 125 i.e.
UTC quote
Sandman wrote:
It should be fine. The only way that could even possibly be a problem is if you had an impact from the bottom of your feet, and that is unlikely. Even in that instance the metal will more likely protect you than cause a problem.
Thanks Sandman! I looked up what my boots had and it's a steel shank, which I guess construction boots have as well. Will be using them more often now.
@gjn avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT200 and a Sym 125

Hooked
@gjn avatar
GT200 and a Sym 125
UTC quote
Consider a windscreen. Makes a big difference to the wind chill
@gjn avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT200 and a Sym 125

Hooked
@gjn avatar
GT200 and a Sym 125
UTC quote
chia wrote:
Harvey wrote:
Chia from Zurich Hi,
My wife Regula is Swiss and I think Switzerland is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. I fell in love with it. And so close to Italy, France, Germany and Austria. Fantastic place to live. You are so lucky. I have no idea why my wife left it. She just says "Well you know you do things like for boys when you are young." She cant live there now because she hates cold weather. I would live there in a heartbeat.
@chia avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LXS 125 i.e.

Hooked
@chia avatar
Vespa LXS 125 i.e.
UTC quote
Quote:
Chia from Zurich Hi,
My wife Regula is Swiss and I think Switzerland is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. I fell in love with it. And so close to Italy, France, Germany and Austria. Fantastic place to live. You are so lucky. I have no idea why my wife left it. She just says "Well you know you do things like for boys when you are young." She cant live there now because she hates cold weather. I would live there in a heartbeat.
Hi GJN! Switzerland is pretty nice to live in for a few years. Great places to visit and hike, and the proximity to the other countries is nice (although I would prefer the cheap flights available in the UK because train travel is still quite expensive and time consuming...) But i wouldn't live here for too long :p it's very hard to fit in, and almost impossible to speak their language... culturally, it can be a problem... (google living in switzerland to find out more). The winters are nice if you snowboard/ski, the other seasons can also be really pleasant. In fact, I find it's not as cold as England somehow, because even with -5C there is hardly any wind (and wind chill)!
@typewritist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
have had my share of faggy mopeds in my time

Molto Verboso
@typewritist avatar
have had my share of faggy mopeds in my time
UTC quote
off-road MotoX gloves work remarkably well for hot climates. They're also usually about 1/2 the price of 'road' gloves.

Something like this

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Vented, padded palms, reinforced knuckles - all you need.

Gloves are about the only protection I wear on any bike, other than the mandatory helmet.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Typewritist wrote:
off-road MotoX gloves work remarkably well for hot climates. They're also usually about 1/2 the price of 'road' gloves.
Please do be careful there

I injured my knuckles and bent my wedding ring in a low-speed crash
because I was wearing off-road gloves
instead of something like:
@sandman avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@sandman avatar
UTC quote
Papa J wrote:
Everybody is agreed that any thick or firm protection over the ankle is better than nothing at all.

Oh...

I didn't realize that everybody is "agreed"....

That changes everything....

I need you guys to do me a HUGE favor. I need everybody to agree that I own an island in the Caribbean. It wont cost you a dime. All you have to do is agree that it is so, and like The Witches of Eastwick, it will magically become reality.

(Sorry for the NJ sarcasm, but I couldn't resist. )

Look, I'm just telling you, from someone that sees ankle fractures all the time, there is no way that the leather on a standard motorcycle boot will offer any protection. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from wearing boots, as they are protective in other ways. Just dont expect them to protect your "weak point" ankles from being broken. We can agree til the cows come home, but knowing what I know, I will not believe otherwise unless you can show me some randomized, controlled trials, or at the VERY LEAST, some retrospective studies.
@sandman avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@sandman avatar
UTC quote
Chichikov wrote:
I just got a pair of Icon Super Duty 3 boots and love them. Very sturdy and they offer great protection.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/10482/ITEM/Icon-Super-Duty-3-Boots.aspx

These boots appear to have ankle armor, like the racing boots. If someone is worried about breaking their ankle, this type of boot probably affords some protection.
@papa_j avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@papa_j avatar
UTC quote
Sandman wrote:
Papa J wrote:

Look, I'm just telling you....
From what I read is... "Look I'm just telling you.." Wha? emoticon Need I say more?

From where I'm standing WE are all agreed that ANYTHING thick over your ankle will protect it better than NOTHING?

I did not imply that it would protect one from a break, fracture or tendon damage. From road rash yes! That's a good enough reason on its own should anyone be choosing to wear boots or not.

or are you really saying that leather does not protect ankles from road rash better than nothing?

What anybody chooses to do with any information gained from the internet is completely of their choosing, I always assume that if you are intelligent enough to ask a question then you'll be intelligent enough to know what to do with any answers given.
@stinkyjones avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 244, 2005 BMW F652 CS, 2001 ET4 150

Ossessionato
@stinkyjones avatar
UTC quote
Papa J wrote:
From road rash yes! That's a good enough reason on its own should anyone be choosing to wear boots or not.
+1

I know my boots aren't going to ultimately save my ankle from snapping, but it will protect that protruding bone from being shaved off.
@sandman avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@sandman avatar
UTC quote
stinkyjones wrote:
Papa J wrote:
From road rash yes! That's a good enough reason on its own should anyone be choosing to wear boots or not.
+1

I know my boots aren't going to ultimately save my ankle from snapping, but it will protect that protruding bone from being shaved off.
This is something that I conceded in my original post, so there is no argument here.
I was only arguing the "weak point" comment, which to me, implies breakage.
OP
@jerzyflix avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2010 White 300 GTS

Enthusiast
@jerzyflix avatar
2010 White 300 GTS
UTC quote
Thanks everyone for your posts and suggestions (who knew boots could stir up so much controversy??)

I like a lot of these glove ideas; now, any thoughts on jackets....??
@scutrbrau avatar
UTC

The Beer Guy

The Beer Guy
@scutrbrau avatar
UTC quote
Sandman wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

These boots appear to have ankle armor, like the racing boots. If someone is worried about breaking their ankle, this type of boot probably affords some protection.
Yes, they have a pretty substantial piece of armor over the ankle. They feel a lot like hockey skates in that regard.
@silver_stinger avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTS 250

Hooked
@silver_stinger avatar
2007 GTS 250
UTC quote
Chichikov wrote:
I have Corazzo Carbone gloves. Very grippy and well vented for warmer weather.

http://www.corazzo.net/carbone-gloves
+1 Great for rides around L.A.
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
UTC quote
jerzyflix wrote:
Thanks everyone for your posts and suggestions (who knew boots could stir up so much controversy??)
There is no topic that scooterists won't argue about, no information they won't contradict, nothing that's safe from controversy and nothing too trivial to bother with.

I am as guilty of this as anyone.
jerzyflix wrote:
I like a lot of these glove ideas; now, any thoughts on jackets....??
For LA, I need 2 jackets, which is why I have 5.

The best combo (for me), my Corazzo Tempeste for most of the year and the Corazzo Ventata for summer. It does get hot enough in the summer to warrant a mesh jacket. Most solid textiles/leathers get too hot over 85°. (Granted I live in the SFV, where it's often a bit warmer than south of the hills...)
@harvey avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@harvey avatar
UTC quote
Sandman wrote:
Oh...

I didn't realize that everybody is "agreed"....

That changes everything....

I need you guys to do me a HUGE favor. I need everybody to agree that I own an island in the Caribbean. It wont cost you a dime. All you have to do is agree that it is so, and like The Witches of Eastwick, it will magically become reality.

(Sorry for the NJ sarcasm, but I couldn't resist. )

Look, I'm just telling you, from someone that sees ankle fractures all the time, there is no way that the leather on a standard motorcycle boot will offer any protection. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from wearing boots, as they are protective in other ways. Just dont expect them to protect your "weak point" ankles from being broken. We can agree til the cows come home, but knowing what I know, I will not believe otherwise unless you can show me some randomized, controlled trials, or at the VERY LEAST, some retrospective studies.
Actually, I was thinking of the European Maids final report 2 which reported in 42.7% of accidents studied footwear coverage reduced or prevented injury (table 9.18 ). The Maids study investigated in detail over nine hundred motorcycle accidents which occurred in France, Germany, Netherlands, Spain and Italy during 1999-2000. Thanks for prodding me into being more rigorous in my reply- Out of scientific interest (since I do medical research), and since your mentioned them, do you have any randomized, controlled trials, or at the very least, some retrospective studies with alternative conclusions that I could look at?
⚠️ Last edited by Harvey on UTC; edited 6 times
@scott_nelli avatar
UTC

Addicted
ET4 2003, GTS Super 2013

Addicted
@scott_nelli avatar
ET4 2003, GTS Super 2013
UTC quote
ericalm wrote:
jerzyflix wrote:
There is no topic that scooterists won't argue about, no information they won't contradict, nothing that's safe from controversy and nothing too trivial to bother with.

I am as guilty of this as anyone.
Yes, which is why MV is sooo addictive! Nothin' like a tinge of family disfunction to make one feel at home! Razz emoticon
@sandman avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@sandman avatar
UTC quote
Harvey wrote:
Actually, I was thinking of the European Maids final report 2 which reported in 42.7% of accidents studied footwear coverage reduced or prevented injury (table 9.18 ). The Maids study investigated in detail over nine hundred motorcycle accidents which occurred in France, Germany, Netherlands, Spain and Italy during 1999-2000. Thanks for prodding me into being more rigorous in my reply- Out of scientific interest (since I do medical research), and since your mentioned them, do you have any randomized, controlled trials, or at the very least, some retrospective studies with alternative conclusions that I could look at?
Not specific enough as to the type of injury. That is the key issue here, is it not? So the study you are siting does nothing to prove your theory. I do not have a study either. If I did, I would have posted it already, so since no studies have been done, I have nothing else to go by except clinical experience.
@harvey avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@harvey avatar
UTC quote
I don't believe I mentioned type of injury in my original post- you implied that in your response, so how could it be my key issue?
@sandman avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@sandman avatar
UTC quote
Harvey wrote:
I don't believe I mentioned type of injury in my original post- you implied that in your response, so how could it be my key issue?
OK. I guess I could have misinterpreted your meaning. So tell me, what did you mean by "ankles are a weak point in the human design"?
@scutrbrau avatar
UTC

The Beer Guy

The Beer Guy
@scutrbrau avatar
UTC quote
Sandman wrote:
Harvey wrote:
OK. I guess I could have misinterpreted your meaning. So tell me, what did you mean by "ankles are a weak point in the human design"?
Good god, man, just let it go. If I accept you as the MV authority on the human ankle will you please stop flogging this dead horse? It'd be nice if we could get back to the OP's point, which I believe was riding gloves, not a pissing match on anatomy, scientific research or randomized trials.
@harvey avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@harvey avatar
UTC quote
Good point, sorry to the OP for getting involved in this.
@sandman avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@sandman avatar
UTC quote
Chichikov wrote:
Sandman wrote:
Harvey wrote:
Good god, man, just let it go. If I accept you as the MV authority on the human ankle will you please stop flogging this dead horse? It'd be nice if we could get back to the OP's point, which I believe was riding gloves, not a pissing match on anatomy, scientific research or randomized trials.
I thought we were done yesterday. Let's move on.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Let's switch gears a bit...
Is there anyone out there that doesn't find this riding gear inappropriate?
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
UTC quote
TurtleGT wrote:
In what sense? ROFL emoticon
@stinkyjones avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@stinkyjones avatar
UTC quote
TurtleGT wrote:
What I find inappropriate is blocking out the MC's plate number which mitigates our ability to track down the passenger.
OP
@jerzyflix avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2010 White 300 GTS

Enthusiast
@jerzyflix avatar
2010 White 300 GTS
UTC quote
Chichikov wrote:
Sandman wrote:
Harvey wrote:
Erm, yes, ahem...thanks for reigning it back in!

Gear, people, focus! Thanks!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0402s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0159s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]