OP
UTC

Vespa LX150

Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Has anyone compared the steering on the LX 150 to the ET4? I have a 2009 LX and my wife has the 2002 ET4 and I notice a tremendous difference. The LX 150 is more stable especially when turning at higher speeds, and it is significantly more agile (can turn back-forth quickly with full confidence).

My wife certainly notices the difference, and she feels more confident on my LX versus her ET4; however, she is 'used to' her ET4 steering.

Is this normal or perhaps her ET4 steering requires adjustment? We bought her ET4 used last summer with only 600 miles and light green (seafoam) color. The scoot is in excellent condition, but ever since we bought it I thought the steering was questionable.

If anyone has any input/advice, I would certainly appreciate it. I am mostly concerned with her safety.

Cheers!
UTC

Hooked
02 ET2, 85 T5, 63 VBB, 61 Cushman VBB

Hooked
02 ET2, 85 T5, 63 VBB, 61 Cushman VBB
UTC quote
Re: Agile Steering - LX 150 vs. Et4
mod-chimchim wrote:
Has anyone compared the steering on the LX 150 to the ET4? I have a 2009 LX and my wife has the 2002 ET4 and I notice a tremendous difference. The LX 150 is more stable especially when turning at higher speeds, and it is significantly more agile (can turn back-forth quickly with full confidence).

My wife certainly notices the difference, and she feels more confident on my LX versus her ET4; however, she is 'used to' her ET4 steering.

Is this normal or perhaps her ET4 steering requires adjustment? We bought her ET4 used last summer with only 600 miles and light green (seafoam) color. The scoot is in excellent condition, but ever since we bought it I thought the steering was questionable.

If anyone has any input/advice, I would certainly appreciate it. I am mostly concerned with her safety.

Cheers!
The 11" probably helps the most. I got a stock LX shock off a junker on my ET and it SEEMS stiffer which may help too. The forks are nearly identical in setup but have different bolt holes in the castings for the fender. If it bothers you that much pick up an LX front rim and bolt it up. I've seen them used on eBay with tire for as low as $70. I've been thinking about doing that so I could get a chain through my front rim.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
I would check the bearings for the fork. From your description it almost sounds like they may be loose. Try this simple test... stand beside the bike with it sitting on both wheels, grab the front brake and hold it so the front wheel can't turn, rock the scooter forward and back. If you feel a "clunking" then your bearings are way too loose. Even if you don't feel the clunking they could need to be snugged up just a bit, but if it clunks you know you need to make an adjustment.

-Craig
OP
UTC

Vespa LX150

Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Re: Agile Steering - LX 150 vs. Et4
Thanks P.R.G. I will follow this advice and keep you posted...

Cheers...

The 11" probably helps the most. I got a stock LX shock off a junker on my ET and it SEEMS stiffer which may help too. The forks are nearly identical in setup but have different bolt holes in the castings for the fender. If it bothers you that much pick up an LX front rim and bolt it up. I've seen them used on eBay with tire for as low as $70. I've been thinking about doing that so I could get a chain through my front rim.[/quote]
OP
UTC

Vespa LX150

Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Cheers Craig... that maybe it. Appreciate the suggestion. Cheers...
caschnd1 wrote:
I would check the bearings for the fork. From your description it almost sounds like they may be loose. Try this simple test... stand beside the bike with it sitting on both wheels, grab the front brake and hold it so the front wheel can't turn, rock the scooter forward and back. If you feel a "clunking" then your bearings are way too loose. Even if you don't feel the clunking they could need to be snugged up just a bit, but if it clunks you know you need to make an adjustment.

-Craig
@captainwhoopass avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4, Vespa S 150, Lambretta DL200, Serveta Jet 200

Hooked
@captainwhoopass avatar
ET4, Vespa S 150, Lambretta DL200, Serveta Jet 200
UTC quote
Maybe it's comfort thing, but I have driven an ET4 for the past 4 years. Occasionally I ride an LX or an S, but I definately feel more agile and stable on my ET than I do either of the other bikes. My ET handles like a dream; long n' low - I just feel so top-heavy on the other bikes. To each their own, I s'pose.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0112s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0029s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]