UTC

Molto Verboso
Lambretta GP200, Vespa P200e, Motovespa do Brasil PX200E

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
khittner wrote:
Bodgespotters: Bodge or No Bodge? http://scoot.net/classifieds/forsale.html?id=56130
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
Painfully bodge-a-rific
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
^^^ The two-tone crap does not bother me as much as having 10 inch wheels on that scoot. Totally ruins the lines.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
What surprises are lurking beneath that floor mat?
@fabio0922 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Allstate 1963

Hooked
@fabio0922 avatar
Allstate 1963
UTC quote
Bodgy time for the rich and stupid. $12.000 shipped directly from JoJo Chi Minh city Vespa super 180 1967. Unbelievable!!!!

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/ITALIAN-VESPA-SUPER-SPORT-SS180-1967s-FULLY-RESTORED-FREE-SHIPPING-CHERRY-RED-/262386362318?nav=SEARCH
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@fabio0922 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Allstate 1963

Hooked
@fabio0922 avatar
Allstate 1963
UTC quote
There must be an overstock of cherry red paint in Ho Chi Minh city
At least this one you may be able to afford.

ITALIAN VESPA SPRINT VLB ( ELECTRIC START ) 150 1968's FULLY RESTORED FREE SHIPP

AU $3,700.00
Starting bid

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/ITALIAN-VESPA-SPRINT-VLB-ELECTRIC-START-150-1968s-FULLY-RESTORED-FREE-SHIPP-/262406393713?nav=SEARCH
@cincycaddy avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'65 Honda C100, '66 CM91, '79 P200E, '87 Honda Helix

Enthusiast
@cincycaddy avatar
UTC quote
Do these bikes tend to be imported to Vietnam and then 'restored'?
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
If you mean originally imported into Vietnam when new, exported from Italy by Piaggio and subsequently some of the survivors being restored to local standards and then shipped elsewhere. But old bikes are not packed up & shipped there for the deluxe rejuvenation treatment like some sort of insiders' Swiss clinic for the sick Vespas of the rich or well connected. Try Germany for that.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Cincycaddy wrote:
Do these bikes tend to be imported to Vietnam and then 'restored'?
imported from Italy in 60s. Ridden and beat to hell on crappy roads, super humid weather with very little rustproofing, cave man repairs over years. Then pulled from rubbish pile and made to look shiny and new again over wended hacked frames and beat up motors. Then sold to unsuspecting westerners
@veloce_vulture avatar
UTC

Hooked
Tuk Tuk.

Hooked
@veloce_vulture avatar
Tuk Tuk.
UTC quote
I've many happy miles on my bodges, even when they break and passers by are mocking. It's a Vespa, and you're not. Gotta wonder why the guy took a grinder to the clutch springs. My latest Bodge (American) is the best yet. (Didn't think I was buying one!)
Meh, I really don't care. I had my time back in the day finding 100$ scoots that had 15,000, 25,000 miles on the clock riding the shit out of them after a tank clean and polish the paint.
Sad that you guys don't know how to get more than 5,000 miles on a new engine. I guess it's back to Hawaii for me. It's too cold here, I'm used to shorts and slippers and a pair of sunglasses for safety.
@cincycaddy avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@cincycaddy avatar
UTC quote
V oodoo wrote:
If you mean originally imported into Vietnam when new, exported from Italy by Piaggio and subsequently some of the survivors being restored to local standards and then shipped elsewhere. But old bikes are not packed up & shipped there for the deluxe rejuvenation treatment like some sort of insiders' Swiss clinic for the sick Vespas of the rich or well connected. Try Germany for that.
Thanks - yeah. I meant the latter - loaded into containers from Europe and 'restored' in Vietnam. I saw only a Vespa or two both times I was there in 2008 and 2014. Mostly modern automatics or Honda C70s or C70 Variants (Wave, etc)

I tried to shop for parts for my 1960's Honda Cubs down in the scooter parts warehouse area of Saigon and struck out - bikes were too old. I see 'refurbished' bikes that look similar coming out of Florida and California. Still bodges but better?

Chris.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Most of the Vespas in Vietnam (imported during the French colonial and South Vietnam period) were ridden into the ground long ago, and wear, rust, and unavailable parts consigned them to the scrap heap/jungle to rot away... Until somebody got the idea to weld together some bits to make a 'complete' frame, rebuild the motor with beer cans and glue, then carefully sculpt bondo and paint it up all nice.

Regarding the Super Cub. That's a common problem with most classic Japanese motorcycles. Soichiro Honda during the late 40s, early 50s thought that the post war boom in small motorcycles would end as the economies Europe and Japan improved and consumers moved to cars as they could afford them. He wanted to focus on large motorcycles, and specifically racing, but his business partner and financial backer pressured him to design the Cub and specifically to expand into developing countries. Well the market for small motorcycles did shrink but didn't die as he predicted.

Though Japanese manufacturers have always looked to the future and sort of designed and planned around that. Current models were designed to be reliable but not to be completely rebuildable. So Japanese manufacturers never built up a large stock of replacement parts. So they were designed to run like the proverbial Swiss watch but once they broke, to be discarded for a newer, better model. Speaking from experience, in Japan there is little support for classic Japanese vehicles, yet quite a bit for things like Harleys or Minis.

To Veloce Vulture, have you owned a Vietbodge? 5000 miles would be way generous for a Viet 'rebuilt' engine. It's not a matter of what the user does, so much as what the Vietbodger doesn't do.
⚠️ Last edited by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak on UTC; edited 1 time
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
This should be in a WIKI on what to avoid. Some of these scoots are being resold by their US owners to new suckers. Be careful what you buy, your life may / will depend on it.

http://scoot.net/faq/Asian_Restorations

Case in point. Looking for a new sucker.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/5554885086.html
@cincycaddy avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@cincycaddy avatar
UTC quote
While looking for a replacement seat I stumbled upon

http://www.yourvespa.com/

Are these guys reselling VN scoots stateside?

This guy a VN reseller too?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/scooter.restorer/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
@modkuo avatar
UTC

Addicted
'79 P200, '74 VBC Super, '77 P125 Project, 1978 Rally 200

Addicted
@modkuo avatar
'79 P200, '74 VBC Super, '77 P125 Project, 1978 Rally 200
UTC quote
[quote="Cincycaddy"While looking for a replacement seat I stumbled upon

Are these guys reselling VN scoots stateside?quote]

weird fact. click on contact. their shop is bordering the grounds of Sing-Sing correctional facility. Current home to Son of Sam and host to a plethora of executions over the years. **conspiracy theorists surmise that they have opened an inmate bodge operation** Nerd emoticon
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Cincycaddy wrote:

not the first and only bodge outlet in the USA. Here is another - http://www.classicalwheels.com/codenew/product.asp
@cincycaddy avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@cincycaddy avatar
UTC quote
modkuo wrote:
[quote="Cincycaddy"While looking for a replacement seat I stumbled upon

Are these guys reselling VN scoots stateside?quote]

weird fact. click on contact. their shop is bordering the grounds of Sing-Sing correctional facility. Current home to Son of Sam and host to a plethora of executions over the years. **conspiracy theorists surmise that they have opened an inmate bodge operation** Nerd emoticon
Well here is there shop on 92 Hunter street. Looks like a real respectable place.

UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Cincycaddy wrote:

Yes, 'Piaggio' cowl guards, 'Piaggio' seat plus unbranded black faced speedo. Piaggio never made cowl guards (always aftermarket) and seats of that vintage shouldn't be Piaggio branded, the speedo should be cream face plus a Piaggio badge with Veglio (the actual manufacturer) underneath.

That Cali Scooter Restorer has always seemed bodgey to me, but could never quite find any damning evidence. They could be buying Vietbodges and de-bodging them, ie removing any glaring signs of a Vietbaodge.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Cincycaddy wrote:

the ebay guy sells all kinds of SE Asian restos. Lots of early LML PX150 in a rainbow of pastels.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
almogavar1969 wrote:
Cincycaddy wrote:

the ebay guy sells all kinds of SE Asian restos. Lots of early LML PX150 in a rainbow of pastels.
Always saw his scooters for sale on Ebay and they always looked too good to be true, ie very bodgey. I say that looking at his P series bikes for sale, never looked at the older ones.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
Cincycaddy wrote:

From their website:

"...our scooters come from our overseas facilities..."

Doesn't say where the "overseas facilities" get them.
@scoot109 avatar
UTC

Hooked
1980 P200E

Hooked
@scoot109 avatar
1980 P200E
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
Not even the PX is safe...
Just saw this on Bangkok FB page...

Their words, auto translated
"Today so happy, could you give off. I barely know anything about cars. Vespa. Just been seeing one of my best friend. He plays. Want to have a car, get to talk to him? is that the company that I work in saw a vespa bad Parked 2 cars, I never noticed till come one day, it's missing one. Know that he's for sale. 5000 baht (Plates) doesn't have anything till later think, want to have a car. I talk to him. Ask his boss is willing to sell for 5000 (there's a plate) but not the same cars that sold before too much is an image that green car, so i brought it in, and with that we don't know who can fix it. to make friends. Known to go to the store to make conversation. No more than 20000 because the machine car stuck pretty good start and didn't have a problem, you just get old and a new car. until later, do we were just friends, but bill out. 35000 I'm here shocked. Why? It's more than talk to much, so I thought I lost (value) first stupid and will come on the car. with the upset. Thought a fool, but finally decided to get it. But now, there are issues. Transfer to another one of your men to do several times so much. Can't get through to call, but a lot of money and on and on until finally gave up on you again. Think I don't need to be transferred. Because I usually don't drive. But on second thought, if one day will sell and what to do. It's like a small problem, but when I think about it always upset until I decided to let the men that were close. The other one walking about for this time, if not through another willing. and weird. Yes, he did once go through today. called and said we were just friends So, wait a minute put books in high price not like previous version. So glad. Yes, sir."
I guess this is the BEFORE shot
I guess this is the BEFORE shot
AFTER a kwollitee resto
AFTER a kwollitee resto
@veloce_vulture avatar
UTC

Hooked
Tuk Tuk.

Hooked
@veloce_vulture avatar
Tuk Tuk.
UTC quote
Pretty racist shit.
@veloce_vulture avatar
UTC

Hooked
Tuk Tuk.

Hooked
@veloce_vulture avatar
Tuk Tuk.
UTC quote
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:
Most of the Vespas in Vietnam (imported during the French colonial and South Vietnam period) were ridden into the ground long ago, and wear, rust, and unavailable parts consigned them to the scrap heap/jungle to rot away... Until somebody got the idea to weld together some bits to make a 'complete' frame, rebuild the motor with beer cans and glue, then carefully sculpt bondo and paint it up all nice.

Regarding the Super Cub. That's a common problem with most classic Japanese motorcycles. Soichiro Honda during the late 40s, early 50s thought that the post war boom in small motorcycles would end as the economies Europe and Japan improved and consumers moved to cars as they could afford them. He wanted to focus on large motorcycles, and specifically racing, but his business partner and financial backer pressured him to design the Cub and specifically to expand into developing countries. Well the market for small motorcycles did shrink but didn't die as he predicted.

Though Japanese manufacturers have always looked to the future and sort of designed and planned around that. Current models were designed to be reliable but not to be completely rebuildable. So Japanese manufacturers never built up a large stock of replacement parts. So they were designed to run like the proverbial Swiss watch but once they broke, to be discarded for a newer, better model. Speaking from experience, in Japan there is little support for classic Japanese vehicles, yet quite a bit for things like Harleys or Minis.

To Veloce Vulture, have you owned a Vietbodge? 5000 miles would be way generous for a Viet 'rebuilt' engine. It's not a matter of what the user does, so much as what the Vietbodger doesn't do.
I'm done listing to racist shit about the people of sea, blanket statements about all scoots that don't meet your idea perfection.
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Bodge Vespa?
Hi,

I'm newbie on this forum, i'm wanting to buy a VBB. What do you guys think of this one (I know the two-tone doesn't help).

Sorry for the crappy photo's, it 's all I got now.

The add says:

1964 Vespa VBB2 150ccc

What do you guys think, bodge or not?
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Bodge
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
Bodge
bodge! find another one... always check the speedo.
@the_mocker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 Orange S150

Ossessionato
@the_mocker avatar
2010 Orange S150
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
Maybe just a personal preference legit restore-plus caught in a fire sale, but I'm not holding my breath. http://scoot.net/classifieds/forsale.html?id=56265

My personal most desired model, very affordable, but one of the booties is backwards and I just can't get excited
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
My personal most desired model, very affordable, but one of the booties is backwards and I just can't get excited [/quote]

Agree 100%. Could be legit but too much flash. Something wonky is going on.
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
almogavar1969 wrote:
khittner wrote:
Bodgespotters: Bodge or No Bodge? http://scoot.net/classifieds/forsale.html?id=56130
Painfully bodge-a-rific
Call me crazy, but this one doesn't look bodged to me from the pic. What's the tip- off?

Best,
-Slashy
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
Shiny two-tone paint, floor mat, protruding speedo, seats ... not necessarily Asian though, could be a local job.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
Ameribodge or maybe an older bodge? Didn't start out on 10" tires, so it's more than paint, rubber & a popup replacement speedo like I've seen on a many old non VN bikes. Leggy trim almost looks legit, can't quite tell.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
almogavar1969 wrote:
khittner wrote:
Painfully bodge-a-rific
Call me crazy, but this one doesn't look bodged to me from the pic. What's the tip- off?

Best,
-Slashy
then best you not buy a scoot without asking here first.

Also, its that usique model that has an extra tight turning circle for narrow lanes
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
SubEtherBASS wrote:
then best you not buy a scoot without asking here first.

Also, its that usique model that has an extra tight turning circle for narrow lanes
SubEtherBASS,
All due respect, but that doesn't actually answer my question.

To my mind, "bodge" means a haphazard, potentially dangerous reconstruction. Clearly this bike has aftermarket stuff that doesn't really belong... but that is probably equally true for half the vehicles I see every day.
Surely we're not just labeling every Vespa with a shiny paint job and cheap aftermarket trim a "bodge", are we?

Best,
-Slashy
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
Hey Splashy, SEB's referring to the angle of the front wheel. The fork stop's probably jacked or damaged... (unless it's one of the special "circus ring" models). For some reason shiny and weird cosmetics tend to go hand in hand with bad mechanicals.
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
Hey Splashy, SEB's referring to the angle of the front wheel. The fork stop's probably jacked or damaged... (unless it's one of the special "circus ring" models). For some reason shiny and weird cosmetics tend to go hand in hand with bad mechanicals.
SoCalGuy,
No argument there, on either point. 10" wheels on a scooter that never had them + suspicious turn radius is definitely cause for concern, but on the second point...
I don't think we can just look at a shiny 2-tone paint job and just automatically assume it's a hatchet- job underneath. I think we're casting the net a bit wide.

Best,
-Slashy
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
I said shiny and weird. It's the combo.
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
I said shiny and weird. It's the combo.
SoCalGuy,
Shiny, weird, even tacky. All due respect, but it's not the combo of those things that makes a bodge. It's the deathtrap jury-rigging concealed underneath that makes it a bodge.
The primo paint job, buckets of bondo, and cheap chrome accessories are intended to distract you from noticing the clapped- out pile of garbage lurking beneath.
In the case of this bike, I see a used bike with a decent (if gaudy) paint job and a bunch of used parts that fly- by- night Asian places usually cover up instead of replacing. For instance, the front shock and spring. Those are actual mass- produced parts, not chromed junkyard relics or hand made. A HCM City chop shop wouldn't spend money on that sort of hardware.

The extreme steering angle and 10" rims though... that looks to me like a 10" conversion that was improperly done, but with a production fork. What do you think?

And again... I'm not saying it's *not* a bodge. It may very well be. I'm just trying to clarify what the criteria are for determining that.

Best,
-Slashy
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
Read-up..
Its all a guess from experience... Go back to page 1 of 'BodgeSpotting' & by the time you get to pg 55 you should be able to make an educated guess.
SEA use 'new' (cheap or poor quality repro) parts more often than they use original worn parts... That is on the components you can see.

But IS IT A BODGE.
Well, i recently saw a 2-tone, with 2-seats, union jacks, cheap nasty parts (as budget/location made this a better option), low milage soeedo with blue backing & i was sure it was a bodge... However on discussing with owner he assured me it was not, plus upon looking at it the seams were still there (& not bogged over).
IS a bodge... So much fell off it!
IS a bodge... So much fell off it!
Is NOT a bodge
Is NOT a bodge
Nice ass
Nice ass
Seams ok?
Seams ok?
Blue speedo... But its actually travelled
Blue speedo... But its actually travelled
Quality panelbeating... No bog here!
Quality panelbeating... No bog here!
⚠️ Last edited by SubEtherBASS on UTC; edited 3 times
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.9683s ][ Queries: 5 (0.9486s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]