OP
UTC

Member
2001 ET4 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8
Location: London, UK
 
Member
2001 ET4 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8
Location: London, UK
UTC quote
Hi All and Any,

I find regular, stock grips a bit too slim for my comfort. I don't have massive hands, but they aren't small either, so the feeling I get from holding on to my handlebars is a bit like gripping a pencil. Not that bad, but I hope you know what I mean.

Does anyone know if fatter, oversized handlebar grips even exist? Or should I give up on the search and try wrapping my bars with gaffer tape or tennis racket grip or something??

FYI, I'm in the UK and ride a 2001 125 ET4.

cheers,
@eight avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Dragon Red LX 150 "Lucia"
Joined: UTC
Posts: 317
Location: Seattle
 
Hooked
@eight avatar
2009 Dragon Red LX 150 "Lucia"
Joined: UTC
Posts: 317
Location: Seattle
UTC quote
Grip puppies!

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycle/hand_cont_$50/GPSMALL.html

Hopefully someone on your side of the world can tell you who carries them where you are.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
 
World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
UTC quote
Aloha and welcome to the forum. I have chunkier piaggio grips on my vespa. I think they would fit your ET. Wait i see your in the UK so you might already have them on your ET. My LX came with smooth ones and when they got wet they were slippery so i switched to the fatter piaggio ones. The are ribbed. I can shoot a pic of them later for you if you don't already have them on your scoot. Hope this helps
@dougl avatar
UTC

El Macho
KTM Super Duke 1290, Vespa GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9047
Location: Porto 4050-570
 
El Macho
@dougl avatar
KTM Super Duke 1290, Vespa GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9047
Location: Porto 4050-570
UTC quote
or replace with LXV grips.
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
946
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6165
Location: Acworth, GA
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
946
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6165
Location: Acworth, GA
UTC quote
Eight wrote:
Grip puppies!

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycle/hand_cont_$50/GPSMALL.html

Hopefully someone on your side of the world can tell you who carries them where you are.
These are what I use to help my paws achieve more comfort with the LX. I can't recommend them enough! After 2 years, the right side (throttle side) just developed a small tear, about 3 cm, from the repetitive twisting, so I replaced it. The original left is still fine, so I left it in place and saved the extra new one for down the road.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
 
World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
UTC quote
So here's the pic of the ones on my LT. Got the same type on my LX. If you have bar ends they won't fit. Sorry for the bad pic. I'm not awake yet. Not even 7am here Crying or Very sad emoticon
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Member
bicycle
Joined: UTC
Posts: 15
Location: Surrey, UK
 
Member
bicycle
Joined: UTC
Posts: 15
Location: Surrey, UK
UTC quote
have you thought about aftermarket grips?
i have a lovely set in the other room which i cant wait to use.
were in london are you? your welcome to see what there like, and they only costed around £6
UTC

Hooked
2011 GTS 300 Super Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 104
Location: NY
 
Hooked
2011 GTS 300 Super Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 104
Location: NY
UTC quote
www.scooterworks.com vintage vespa catalog has a "fatty grip" that is over-sized.
OP
UTC

Member
2001 ET4 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8
Location: London, UK
 
Member
2001 ET4 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8
Location: London, UK
UTC quote
SMF_12 wrote:
have you thought about aftermarket grips?
i have a lovely set in the other room which i cant wait to use.
were in london are you? your welcome to see what there like, and they only costed around £6
it's aftermarket grips that i'm looking for, but apart from the suggestions above, none are suitable. could you possibly post a photo of yours, please? rather reluctant to meet up only to take a quick look at a pair of grips, if you'll understand...
OP
UTC

Member
2001 ET4 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8
Location: London, UK
 
Member
2001 ET4 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8
Location: London, UK
UTC quote
judy wrote:
So here's the pic of the ones on my LT. Got the same type on my LX. If you have bar ends they won't fit. Sorry for the bad pic. I'm not awake yet. Not even 7am here Crying or Very sad emoticon
thanks Judy. i'm very pleased and grateful that you were kind enough to take and post a photo, all before 7am. i usually curse the kettle for taking too long boiling water for my coffee, nevermind being awake enough to reply to a random post. thank you!

too bad those are the exact grips i have currently, which are too thin for me. i'm going to look into the grip puppies suggested and recommended by Masala and Eight (thanks both!).

Masala, do they fit over the grips on your LX? are your LX grips the same as in Judy's photo? then i'll know if they will fit mine...

great responses from everyone, thanks again.
mario
@mikeo avatar
UTC

Addicted
NIU Electric Moped
Joined: UTC
Posts: 900
Location: Seaham UK
 
Addicted
@mikeo avatar
NIU Electric Moped
Joined: UTC
Posts: 900
Location: Seaham UK
UTC quote
I ordered Grip Puppies from here (they're in the UK):

http://www.sportouring.com/gallery.php?sectionHeaderActive=1000&rangeChoosen=353
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
 
World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
UTC quote
SUPA no worries. My stock grips were thinner and weren't ribbed. Good luck in your hunt.
UTC

Member
bicycle
Joined: UTC
Posts: 15
Location: Surrey, UK
 
Member
bicycle
Joined: UTC
Posts: 15
Location: Surrey, UK
UTC quote
supamar1o wrote:
SMF_12 wrote:
have you thought about aftermarket grips?
i have a lovely set in the other room which i cant wait to use.
were in london are you? your welcome to see what there like, and they only costed around £6
it's aftermarket grips that i'm looking for, but apart from the suggestions above, none are suitable. could you possibly post a photo of yours, please? rather reluctant to meet up only to take a quick look at a pair of grips, if you'll understand...
tis fair enoug... i just took a quick pic of them, they feel really rubbery and grippy if ya know what i mean, there not tooo chunky but they feel comfy enough.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

Member
2001 ET4 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8
Location: London, UK
 
Member
2001 ET4 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8
Location: London, UK
UTC quote
SMF_12 wrote:
supamar1o wrote:
SMF_12 wrote:
have you thought about aftermarket grips?
i have a lovely set in the other room which i cant wait to use.
were in london are you? your welcome to see what there like, and they only costed around £6
it's aftermarket grips that i'm looking for, but apart from the suggestions above, none are suitable. could you possibly post a photo of yours, please? rather reluctant to meet up only to take a quick look at a pair of grips, if you'll understand...
tis fair enoug... i just took a quick pic of them, they feel really rubbery and grippy if ya know what i mean, there not tooo chunky but they feel comfy enough.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
thanks for the photo. from it i can tell they aren't what i am looking for, they seem very similar to the grips i already have fitted... i found something else in the meantime anyway. cheers though.
OP
UTC

Member
2001 ET4 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8
Location: London, UK
 
Member
2001 ET4 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8
Location: London, UK
UTC quote
i am pleased to say i went for the Grip Puppies as recommended above and they are working just great! thanks Eight, Masala and MikeO!

they are both softer and fatter than my original grips (they slipped over the originals, so naturally they will be fatter. duh, mario!) and i think are the perfect solution to my problem (got them from sportouring.com).
i can't imagine regular grips (the kind that fit onto the handlebar, rather than fit over existing grips, like said grip puppies) will be able to match them in terms of comfort as well as girth.

thanks for everyone's input. much appreciated and will be remembered.

now, i just hope my CrampBuster still fits...!!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0291s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0156s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]