OP
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650.
UTC quote
The sun, rain, salt and ozone has finally almost dissolved parts of my small Motofizz bag on the back of my GTS. Last night I place an order for a new, larger medium Motofizz bag. I'm excited to have a little extra space and was hoping to have it for a camping trip until the dreaded BACK ORDERED email showed up in my inbox today. Oh well.

Does anyone else use these soft bags? I was wondered if anyone else has found the softcases to be more useful than the hard ones.

This new one will allow me to pack my Wisner view camera, lenses and film so I am going to have to find a new excuse for not shooting any sheet film.
@chetwynder avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Baart-less

Ossessionato
@chetwynder avatar
Baart-less
UTC quote
I've always used a top case for security and weather protection. Throw a jacket or helmet or ????? in a top case and go about my business not worrying about theft or moisture.

For me a top case and a duffle bag with bungie net holding to the seat is the ideal combination for town or travel.

Dave
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
UTC quote
Steve,

I have the medium size MotoFizz bag and use it on my Burgman. If you haven't seen one, they are larger than you might think. I like the pockets, open section under the flap on top, and the versatility. I don't much care for the waterproof cover. It doesn't really fit tight, and I put bungies on to keep it from billowing in the wind. The quality and workmanship is superb!

I strapped mine to the seat, so that I could still lift it. I cut a 3/4" wood dowel to hold the seat up, since it was too heavy for the seat shock. It was a bit time consuming to get the straps just right, so I ended up using a separate duffle bag that fit just perfect in the seat bag. Then I just carried the duffle inside at my destination.

I don't have a top case for the Burgman, but I do on the LX150. the top case is more secure and dryer, but the seat bag is more versatile. Of course using it as a seat bag takes up seat space, so no passenger. It does make an OK backrest if it is packed tight.

Let me know if you need more info. I might get a small one for the LX.
Steve

Larger photo here
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
OP
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC quote
Smorris wrote:
Steve,

I have the medium size MotoFizz bag and use it on my Burgman. If you haven't seen one, they are larger than you might think. I like the pockets, open section under the flap on top, and the versatility. I don't much care for the waterproof cover. It doesn't really fit tight, and I put bungies on to keep it from billowing in the wind. The quality and workmanship is superb!

I strapped mine to the seat, so that I could still lift it. I cut a 3/4" wood dowel to hold the seat up, since it was too heavy for the seat shock. It was a bit time consuming to get the straps just right, so I ended up using a separate duffle bag that fit just perfect in the seat bag. Then I just carried the duffle inside at my destination.

I don't have a top case for the Burgman, but I do on the LX150. the top case is more secure and dryer, but the seat bag is more versatile. Of course using it as a seat bag takes up seat space, so no passenger. It does make an OK backrest if it is packed tight.

Let me know if you need more info. I might get a small one for the LX.
Steve
Steve: Thanks for the information. I tried to picture the medium bag on my GTS and in my addled brain the picture seemed ok. I figured it would not be as large as some of the bigger Givi topcases I have seen people mount on the rear rack of their Vespas. Any thoughts on this? I plan to mount this thing on the rear rack.
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
UTC quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
Steve: Thanks for the information. I tried to picture the medium bag on my GTS and in my addled brain the picture seemed OK. I figured it would not be as large as some of the bigger Givi top cases I have seen people mount on the rear rack of their Vespas. Any thoughts on this? I plan to mount this thing on the rear rack.
I don't know how much this helps. I have the LX150, and I don't remember if you had the top case with it. I am linking to several photos I just took showing the naked rack, Vespa LX top case, Givi E30-N top case (from my wife's Metropolitan, and the medium MotoFizz. As you can see, the MotoFizz is slightly larger than either case. I can get two full face helmets in easily with the bag expanded, and one with room for plenty of extra gear with the bag un-expanded. Givi case needs to have the yellow helmet sideways to fit, and it doesn't fit in the Vespa case at all. Can't quite get the Vespa case through the opening of the MotoFizz. If the GTS rack is as small as the LX case rack, you'd probably need to mount some sort of panel on the rack to support it.

Here's the link. The new photos start with #10. Just click on the thumbnail to see a larger image, and then on that larger image to see an even bigger one up to the full size original (by clicking "O")

Does that give you a better idea of the size of it, and if it will work for your scoot?
Steve
OP
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC quote
Steve: The pictures are fantastic and I see now that I will have no trouble at all with the medium bag. Can't wait now to get it.

I have looked many times at hard cases but they never seemed like they would work as well for be as the soft bags that I can sort of morph into whatever I need.

It's helped by the fact that security is never an issue for me with the softbag otherwise a hard, lockable case would be essential.

Thanks again for your help with this.
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
I'm not familiar with the MotoFizz bags, Steve, but the fact that you and the other Steve (Morris) both use them is a fairly glowing endorsement, in my book. I'll keep them in mind...
@rgconner avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS250

Ossessionato
@rgconner avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
Steve: The pictures are fantastic and I see now that I will have no trouble at all with the medium bag. Can't wait now to get it.

I have looked many times at hard cases but they never seemed like they would work as well for be as the soft bags that I can sort of morph into whatever I need.

It's helped by the fact that security is never an issue for me with the softbag otherwise a hard, lockable case would be essential.

Thanks again for your help with this.
One of the gotcha's of hard cases is that if you try and stuff them to the gills you can jam the latch. I have done that many times on the Givi. You have to jiggle the latch and sort deform the case slightly to relieve the snag.

Think I did it 3 or 4 times on the Bastard Rally this weekend, I can see where a soft case like that would be better for camping, while the GIVI is great for the laptop case and grocery runs.
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
UTC quote
I certainly appreciate that, Aaron. You can get the MotoFizz bags at Aerostich (Llink to Large, Medium, and Small)

And here's a user review that I forgot about. This helped convince me to get mine. I put mine on the other way 'round from this reviewer. I wanted easier access to the buckles from behind, and didn't want wind getting under the flap the way he has it.

A lot more photos here on ADVrider

They aren't cheap, but very well made. Medium is $157

If I decide to remove the rear rack and grab rail from my LX, I'll get the small MotoFizz bag for the back of the seat.
Masala wrote:
I'm not familiar with the MotoFizz bags, Steve, but the fact that you and the other Steve (Morris) both use them is a fairly glowing endorsement, in my book. I'll keep them in mind...
@jkerstinj avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa ET4

Molto Verboso
@jkerstinj avatar
Vespa ET4
UTC quote
Steve,

I am thinking of getting a Motofizz bag, but not sure about which size. I have a Vespa ET4 with a topcase and a Burgman 650 with a topcase. I would like the bag to go on the seat behind me. I am certain the medium would work for the Burgman, but what about for the Vespa ET4? I have long legs and like to sit back on the seat a bit. Does the medium bag push you too far to the front of the seat? That seem to be an issue with the SX bag from Scooter West. Any pictures of the Motofizz medium on a Vespa with a topcase would be WONDERFUL. Thanks.

Janine
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
UTC quote
JKerstinJ wrote:
I am certain the medium would work for the Burgman, but what about for the Vespa ET4? I have long legs and like to sit back on the seat a bit. Does the medium bag push you too far to the front of the seat?
Seems like it would be a bit big. I'll get a photo for you tomorrow.
@techguy avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Kymco P250 Now, P200E in the 80's

Ossessionato
@techguy avatar
UTC quote
OK, I was at the Bastard's Rally too and this was my setup going up. I am going to guess my $20 gym bag is the poor man's version of the Fizz. bag and it's not waterproof.

What you see here is my gym bag, a sleeping bag in a compression bag, a hydration pack that I wore most of the rides. I had my top case filled with my riding goat liner, a ball cap, .6 liter bottle of gasolne for emergency gas, snacks for the ride (it took me nearly five hours with stops and lunch), a fleece pullover for use at camp, a flash light. and some general tools. In the underseat (pet carrier), I placed my tent, air mattress, tarp and some other tools. The orange case is my camera case.

This was my setup for last year with annotations. Slightly different arrangement.

I would like to add a small chair or stool and improve my tent for the future.

Here is shot of my camp (and everything I had) during teardown at the last rally.

Inside the tent are my sleeping bag and an air mattress
@flanman_hawaii avatar
UTC

Addicted
Daring Plum GT 200, Dragon Red LX 150, Kawi Green KLR 650, Hi-Viz Yeller V-Strom 650, Bonneville Black

Addicted
@flanman_hawaii avatar
Daring Plum GT 200, Dragon Red LX 150, Kawi Green KLR 650, Hi-Viz Yeller V-Strom 650, Bonneville Black
UTC quote
Loved the Motofizz, but the vitues of a hard, lockable top case are hard to ignore. Got a 45 litter Givi hard case instead and never looked back. The cost isn't significantly more, considering the advantages.

If you ride in the rain or care to leave your valuables on the bike, a hard case is the ticket. Rain covers on soft bags are supposed to keep things dry, but they don't on a long, wet ride.

If you want a seat bag in addition to a top case, I recommend an Ortlieb dry bag and a couple of ROK straps.
@jkerstinj avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa ET4

Molto Verboso
@jkerstinj avatar
Vespa ET4
UTC quote
Steve --- I look forward to seeing the pictures. Thanks!

Tech Guy --- Thanks for the photos. Your gym bag looks to be about the same size as the Mottofizz. How do you open the topcase with the seat loaded? When I load my seat, as you have, I can only get the topcase open about 2 inches unless I take everything off the seat.

Flanman --- I already have the locking topcase. I am looking for an additional bag for the seat. The Motofizz seams to be the most versatile bag for my needs and the tie down system looks good and easy to use. For long trips on the VESPA, gas stops become a pain when I have the seat packed. The Motofizz looks like it will be easy to get it on and off the scooter quickly.

Thanks for all the feedback. Keep it coming along with the photos.

Janine
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
UTC quote
Crap!!

I got the photos for you. I filled the MotoFizz with a bunch of towels and blankets. It isn't overstuffed, just filled to maintain shape. With the bag back against the top case, the front of the bag is about 2-3" in front of the step in the LX150's seat. So yes, it moves me forward significantly! I usually ride with my butt right about on the step or a touch behind it. If you don't have the backrest, you would gain another1.5" or so.

Then I pushed back to see if I could compress it into a further back back rest, and shoved the top case right off onto the concrete driveway. It landed right on it's top and now has a palm size area all scuffed on top as well as smaller places on both side where it bounced. At least it didn't break, but it didn't even have the smallest scratch on it before. Stupid cameraman!

The SX backrest bag? That is supposedly 14" front to back, and the MotoFizz says it is 12". But I can assure you that packed slightly snug as shown, it is at least 14"

Another photo in the same link as above.

Hope that helps,
Steve
@jkerstinj avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa ET4

Molto Verboso
@jkerstinj avatar
Vespa ET4
UTC quote
Steve,

I am SO SORRY about the fall & scratch incident I guess you didn't have the topcase attached to the rack.

The ET4 seat and topcase setup are a little different, but this gives me a good idea. I noticed that the small and medium Motofizz bags both have a front to back length of 12 inches, so I will go with the medium. Thanks again.

Janine
@techguy avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@techguy avatar
UTC quote
When the bag is fully loaded, it can be tough to get into the bag. As you mentioned I open it just a couple inches and do the best I can. It'd not been too bad. I pack the stuff so I can get to it when the lid is open a few inches.
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
UTC quote
JKerstinJ wrote:
Steve,

I am SO SORRY about the fall & scratch incident I guess you didn't have the topcase attached to the rack
No apology necessary! It certainly wasn't your fault. Just me being stupid. Nah, I haven't used the top case for a while since I'm no longer commuting. I like the looks a lot better without. I'm even thinking of removing the rack and grab rail for a cleaner look.

Concerning opening the top case with the seat bag; You could always do like I have the Burgman set up. I just have the bag strapped to the seat and can still open the seat. You could then easily open the top case.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1263s ][ Queries: 21 (0.0869s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]