@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
I happened to see this and thought I would post a link. You can read the entire article.

http://thescooterscoop.com/

Shame to, these are great scooters, Beale.
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
UTC quote
That's sad. The Chetak almost gone, the px is going out of production,...
Nowadays a lot of scooter brands have their retro model, but the real retro's are dissapearing...
Crying or Very sad emoticon
@helmuthead avatar
UTC

My Stella, her et-2

@helmuthead avatar
My Stella, her et-2
UTC quote
There was just a thread on the BBS regarding BajajUSA's name change to Argo. Presumably they have a stock of Chetaks to sell this year (silver only?) and then they will find another manufacturer for another model in the future.

http://www.bajajusa.com for the info straight from the company source.
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
In constant state of flux...

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
That's sad. The Chetak almost gone, the px is going out of production,...
Nowadays a lot of scooter brands have their retro model, but the real retro's are dissapearing...
The way I see it, those owners of said models now officially own CLASSICS. If I had the money, I'd snatch one up just to own a dying breed. They're great machines. My uncle has a white 2002 with just over 2000 miles on it. He uses it mostly for short errands around the neighborhood but does 90+ miles fun rides up and down the So. California coast at least once a month. It's not as "smooth" as my LX, but it is a fun ride with some worthy history to back it up -- at least while conversing over a beer or two.
UTC

2006 Silver Bajaj Chetak

2006 Silver Bajaj Chetak
UTC quote
I have one coming..
I put down a downpayment on the 2006 Silver Chetak.. about 3 weeks ago, I think it was. I should be taking possession of it in a few days.
The news today about the ending of the production of the Chetak was a real surprise to me too, and I'm not quite sure how to feel about it.
The silver ones are here, and their black ones as well as the jade ones are coming later. The owner of BajajUSA said that he has enough to get through 2006, and into the year 2007. And he promises that he will have parts for the Chetak. Getting parts doesn't seem to be an issue, according to BajajUSA.
I have such an odd feeling about all of this. Everyone on the Bajaj board is really bothered by it all. I am thinking on, after getting it, just wrapping it up, and keeping.. as a "classic".. as an investment. BajajUSA said that it would most likely increase in value. But I know that I wouldn't have the self-control. I LOVE to ride too much. I might just save up a little more, and get the LX afterall.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
I'm not in any way knocking Bajaj when I say this, but there is a difference between rare and desirable. I think a Bajaj is a fine scooter, but will it be rare and collectable? That's really hard to say. It largely depends on how many survive, and how desirable they are from the start. You have to ask yourself what a Bajaj offers over a Stella or a P (either old or new). It's durable, clean, and efficient. It seems more utilitarian and workhorse than its 2 stroke cousins. That's not a knock, but might not bode well for collectability. It doesn't provide that accurate vintage feel, but it's not really modern either.
@javarod avatar
UTC

Hooked
KYMCo Vitality 2004

Hooked
@javarod avatar
KYMCo Vitality 2004
UTC quote
Hmmm, well, if Argo needs a direcion to go, what about Sym? They're one of the biggies in Taiwan, and I'm particularly fond of their Mio scooter and Magic cub, take a look at www.sym.com.tw (click on 'Global Site' ifn it comes up in Chinese). I'm rather surprised that the only importers are in Hawaii, and they only carry two models.
@bark211 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 Vespa GT200

Hooked
@bark211 avatar
2005 Vespa GT200
UTC quote
My first scooter was a Bajaj Chetak so it's sad to see that they are going out of production, but to be honest I don't think they should be missed too much. While generally pretty reliable the Chetak is miles behing the modern Vespa in engine performance and especially braking. At least mine was. I happily upgraded to a GT and haven't looked back. They were pretty cool looking that's for sure.
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500

Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500
UTC quote
There will be no tears from me. I purchased a Chetak shortly after they were avialable in the US. It was my first scooter and not the best experience. While is was assembled OK for the $2000 price, it was not confidence inspiring to ride. It was too slow for my suburban riding, the shifting was awkward and the brakes weak. I sold it within a year of buying it.

-Paul
@sean avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS Super 300 many others

Hooked
@sean avatar
UTC quote
I didn't know they still sold them in the U.S. Well good bye to old rubbish.

Sean
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa GT200 and Lambretta LI125

Enthusiast
Vespa GT200 and Lambretta LI125
UTC quote
I think some of you guys are missing the point. While the Chetak lagged in technology (in terms of engine performance and braking etc..) it filled a unique market niche.
The Chetak exists as a no BS, affordable, reliable, clean burning machine, that offers drivers with a real nod to the past with its manual transmision.
Have any of you ever visited the Bajaj Yahoo group?
If you havent, you should. From my experience with them, they are as passionate and caring with their bikes and with each other as any good vintage group out there. Point being, the chetak was the foundation that formed a great community of scooterists.

And for the record, calling the Chetak "old rubbish"....sounds like how some vintage riders call new scooters, "automatic trash". Kind of an elitist attitude.

And one more thing about bajaj. Ive been waiting for a new clutch for my GT for 4 months. While i really like my GT, i dont really care for what Piaggio has become. With Bajaj USA, you could go to the yahoo group, and Al Kolvites (who runs the show down there), would personally help you out. For me that counts as much, if not more, than the two disk brakes and 200cc's of power that piaggio puts on the table.

~Anthony
OP
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
Thanks Tony! That was really the spirit I posted in. The yahoo group is cool, I visit very regular. I am also cool with other peoples opinions, and thoughts. I just hate to see another scoot go by the wayside, Beale.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I have two pals who ride Bajaj and there is a lot of love there. A Bajaj with simple performance mods like a pipe can be a really strong runner. And the quality seems so much better overall than their competition, plus the 4 stroke setup is so much cleaner, it's sad to see them struggle in the U.S. I am rooting for them to make a new start.
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125
UTC quote
TonyTheTiger wrote:
And one more thing about bajaj. Ive been waiting for a new clutch for my GT for 4 months. While i really like my GT, i dont really care for what Piaggio has become. With Bajaj USA, you could go to the yahoo group, and Al Kolvites (who runs the show down there), would personally help you out. For me that counts as much, if not more, than the two disk brakes and 200cc's of power that piaggio puts on the table.

~Anthony
Isn't that long enough to call lemon law on them, dude?
@sean avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@sean avatar
UTC quote
Hmmm maybe it isn't Piaggio that is delaying the shipping of your clutch for your GT. I know greay125 has had them in stock when we ordered them for the shop. It isn't an elitisted attitude I have, but experience I have had working on the few and trying to find parts for a friend who used to own one. If I had an elitist attituded I wouldn't want to be seen repairing and riding with someone who owned one, so lets get that straight. Of course Mr. Al Kolvites would help you out there isn't much of a dealer network for the Bajaj left to work with. Ride safe

Sean
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
pasone wrote:
There will be no tears from me. I purchased a Chetak shortly after they were avialable in the US. It was my first scooter and not the best experience. While is was assembled OK for the $2000 price, it was not confidence inspiring to ride. It was too slow for my suburban riding, the shifting was awkward and the brakes weak. I sold it within a year of buying it.

-Paul
I love Bajaj's, Stellas, too. And god knows people have trouble with their Vespas, too, that's for sure. But the above quote is exactly what some of my friends who've bought Stella and Bajaj products have said. Stories abound of bad experiences with both the scooters themselves and with (a lack of) quality dealer support.

I've met Phil from Genuine and am familiar with Al, and I believe they are dedicated to their customers. But realistically I think a person needs to be good at tinkering and willing to fuss with their scooter now & then if they're going to own one of these. They have "character". Seems there's always a little something going on with 'em, unlike the more modern (Vespa, Kymco, Honda, etc.) scooters which are more perfected and as a result maybe a little boring. You can just ride them and not much else, if that's what you want.

I wonder if owning a new Vespa PX would be the same kind of experience as owning a Stella. Or if the PX is engineered/assembled better to the point that its price would be justified.
@sean avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@sean avatar
UTC quote
I like the price point of the Stella, but can't be sure of the quality of the scooter? Compare to the Vespa PX150 I like the looks and quality, but the price is a little high for what I consider a P150 with a disc brake, gas gauge and starter motor. For that kind of money I'd rather save up and buy a GTs. The only known complaint I have heard and now repairing under the warranty is the oil tank sight glass leaks oil if the driver has hit a bump, because there were some issue with installing them incorrectly at the Factory. A simple repair and it took 2 days to get the parts. Now I get to have some fun and rip into it.

Sean
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
Well, I'm new to this group, and I'm not sure I can actually join, because the only scooter I've ever owned is a Bajaj.

My scooter rocks. I can go a solid 60 (aftermarket pipe, disabled TRICs, CAI). I really, really like the ability to shift this baby. I don't know how I'd do on a twist-N-go.

BUT, the GTS-250 is SEXY! I've only seen pictures, but soon I'm gonna see one in the flesh, so to speak. A buddy I ride with had a beautiful P200, ET4, ET2 and now just got a Red GTS-250, the dog...

People have had issues with their Bajaj's, especially the 02 models, which is what I've got. I've ventured fairly far away from home on my trusty machine, and she's always brought me home safely. I commute 16 miles almost daily with it.

Anyway, I hope it's OK that I'm here and checking out this group. Maybe someday a GTS-250 will be in my budget. With the price though, it is a big hurdle, and seems far away...

Scott
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
All good people are welcome here.

There's a guy I've ridden with who has a Bajaj with a pipe and few mods. I've ridden in both the city and in the mountains with him and I must say that his Bajaj seems to run really well. It can't quite keep up with a GT, of course, but it gives me a run for my money, more so than any stock Stella, and I don't think he's had any significant trouble with it. I hear they are a blast to ride, when properly modified, and very well put together for an old-school style machine. Those skinny tires kinda worry me at high speed, though. Seeing him in front of me leaned over at speed on a curve ... yikes
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
qascooter wrote:
Well, I'm new to this group, and I'm not sure I can actually join, because the only scooter I've ever owned is a Bajaj.
You're quite welcome here. We may be Vespa-focused, but we're also scooterists who love to ride and want to share that experience, Vespa or not.
OP
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
Yes welcome to our group. We have a bunch of good people, hope to see you on the road, Beale.
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
Just saw this via scooterscoop.com:

http://www.ibnlive.com/article.php?id=3572&section_id=7
Quote:
New Delhi: India's second largest two wheeler maker, Bajaj Auto is set to come out with two new un-geared scooters - Bajaj Kristal and Bajaj Blade.

The scooters will be unveiled at the Auto Expo 2006, starting January 12.

This time round, the company is trying a new strategy with gender exclusive products.

The Kristal is meant for the college-going girl. It is equipped with a sub-100 cc engine and sports Bajaj's patented dual twin spark ignition system (DTS-I).

It has a wider seat and 22 litres of storage space. Another unique feature is the front fuel filling system, so that the rider doesn't have to get off the scooter when refuelling.

The Bajaj Blade on the other hand with a sporty style is designed for young men. Large 12-inch alloy wheels and disc brakes add to the scooter's appeal.

Both the models are likely to compete with TVS Scooty and Activa Honda.

Bajaj aims to kickstart growth in the ungeared scooters segment which is presently at 10 per cent of the unit strong two wheeler market.
I thought I read somewhere that they were getting out of the scooter business altogether and focusing exclusively on motorcycles. Does this mean that original reports of Baja getting out the scooter business were incorrect or just incomplete? Interesting.

Seems like manual shifting scooters are becoming more niche day by day. Not that I'm opposed to manual, mind you. It's the only way I'd go with a car if I can help it. I'd love to own a new PX, Baja or Stella, but perhaps the Chetaks demise has more to do with global market trends (cheap twist & go's from China) than Bajaj getting out of scoots altogether.
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
Thanks guys for the welcome. It's all about riding...
@javarod avatar
UTC

Hooked
KYMCo Vitality 2004

Hooked
@javarod avatar
KYMCo Vitality 2004
UTC quote
robotribe wrote:
Just saw this via scooterscoop.com:
I thought I read somewhere that they were getting out of the scooter business altogether and focusing exclusively on motorcycles. Does this mean that original reports of Baja getting out the scooter business were incorrect or just incomplete? Interesting.

Seems like manual shifting scooters are becoming more niche day by day. Not that I'm opposed to manual, mind you. It's the only way I'd go with a car if I can help it. I'd love to own a new PX, Baja or Stella, but perhaps the Chetaks demise has more to do with global market trends (cheap twist & go's from China) than Bajaj getting out of scoots altogether.
I'm not either, but I think they're generally out of date, after all, with a car you can see the value, better fuel economy in particular. ON a scooter where the CVT has proven itself, giving you an automatic without the weight of one (only recently have they come up with automotive power capable CVTs), why do you need a manual? Fuel economy is better, but not that much far as I know, and it adds a layer of complexity to the scoot.
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
UTC quote
It's fun to shift!
My parent shad an automatic car for a few years. I found that driving in it was boring. I love manual gearing in all my vehicles!
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
I've been seeing a fair share of automatic transmission concept motorcycles showcased in the "what's new" motorcycle magazine columns, within the last year. Few of these concept motorcycles appear practical though.
Automotive CVT is gaining in application. Industrial evolution takes time.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
Hayes, I agree with you. If there are gears to shift, I want to do the shifting. The thing about a CVT is that there aren't any gears. I never feel like I'm not in control with one. I can hold a ratio as long as I choose to. I don't have to worry about a gear changing happening at an inopportune time like I would on a conventional automatic transmission. I just wish that scooter CVTs had some intelligent control to them, so there wouldn't be so much of a compromise between top speed and acceleration.

The Bajaj and Stella and PX150 are all cool, but they really aren't modern enough for me. If somebody made a modern scooter with a 5 or 6 speed manual transmission, excellent brakes, tubeless rims, and it looked nice, I would be all over it. The afore mentioned scooters are great for what they are though, a classic riding experience that you can buy on the showroom floor.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0263s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0019s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]