OP
UTC

UTC quote
Hello-

I'm in the market for a Vespa.

I am considering the LX150, the ET4, and the GT200

I will typically be riding it in LA traffic 4 miles to and from work.

I am 5'10, 190 lbs.

Prices I have found -

LX - 4700 out the door
GT - 5500 new, 5100 used with 100 miles out the door
ET4 - 4600 out the door

What would you guys get? Is the GT harder to maneuver between cars in gridlock traffic because of its larger size?

If I buy used (or new) out of state and dont pay sales tax there, I will have to pay sales tax when I register it in CA, right?

Which will have the better resale value? Will the GT lose some luster now that the GTS is out?

Thanks!
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
This is easy. Get the GT.

It's plenty nimble enough for traffic, the engine does not need to be worked as hard as the air-cooled models to produce good speed, and it has the power reserves which are sometimes needed for safety. A "slightly" used GT is an opportunity which doesn't come around very often.

The LX is lighter and is probably a tad more nimble, but the benefits of a GT are worth the extra weight. And that long wheelbase combined with the added suspension travel adds a large measure of riding comfort.

You're going to have to pay your CA tax regardless.

The GT will most likely have the best resale value of the three choices, the LX second, and the ET4 will be lowest just because it's an outgoing model.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I would say get the GT (no opinion on new or used) with one caveat: It's roughly 90 pounds heavier than the LX, and the place where that weight shows is moving the scooter around when you're not on it (getting it on and off the center stand, wheeling it out of a parking spot, and so forth). If you lack upper body strength or feel uncomfortable rolling 310 pounds around, then consider the LX. Otherwise, once you're on it and moving, it has a very smooth ride and nearly balances itself with any throttle applied.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
jess wrote:
If you lack upper body strength or feel uncomfortable rolling 310 pounds around, then consider the LX.
Excellent point. I should have said that ""the LX is *significantly* lighter". This may be something a good test ride of each could help you figure out.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
I'm a strong guy, so yanking the thing around won't be an issue...

I'm more worried about width going through cars -

If one had a choice between buying new for 500 dollars more than a slightly used one, would you do it, or is the savings a good idea?

Thanks for the input!
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
siznimper wrote:

The GT is definitely wider, but I think we're only talking about a couple-a-three inches. The width at the handgrips (the widest part) is actually almost the same between the GT and the LX.
@bvbob avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan

Molto Verboso
@bvbob avatar
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
UTC quote
siznimper wrote:

If one had a choice between buying new for 500 dollars more than a slightly used one, would you do it, or is the savings a good idea?

Thanks for the input!
Personally I'd go with the new one. For one, you'd be the one doing the proper break-in, (no telling how it has been ridden). And the new one will get you a full warranty. You probably can't go wrong either way..
UTC

2005 GT 200

2005 GT 200
UTC quote
I had the chance to test drive both the LX and GT. Didn't need much time to decide and went with the GT. The added power and comfort more than made up for the extra weight and cost.
@mgg avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 BV500

Hooked
@mgg avatar
2007 BV500
UTC quote
I would test drive both. I had a Et and bought a GT when they came out. The power difference did it for me. I also happen to like the looks of the GT.

PS I'm 5'10" and weigh 190 lbs. It did take a little getting use to the weight thing but once you get use to it you forget it.

Regards
MGG
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650.
UTC quote
I went with the Vespa LX150 for two reasons.

1. I wanted a scooter that felt like a scooter. The GT was big enough that it was starting to feel like something else.

2. I wanted something that stopped accelerating around 60MPH. I know what I'm like. I turn the throttle all the way and keep going until it won't go any faster. With the LX150 I can do this all day long and be at reasonable speeds and on reasonable roads. The GT would find me riding at speeds and in traffic that would be more dangerous. I have mine for fun. I don't need it to commute or anything that requires efficient speed or size.

You know the GT is the SUV of Vespas......*grin*

steve
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
siznimper wrote:
This is a good question. Makes me think...Yowch my head hurts now.

It would depend on the original warranty in service date. We know a Vespa warranty is 12 months/unlimited miles. If the warranty only has six or eight months left, then I'd pay the extra $500 and buy new. But if it's got 9 or more months, then I'd be thinking "$500 is a lot of money" and get the used one. It only has about 100 miles, right? That's not very much at all.

My 2p
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
i live in LA and ride a ET4.
the GT is a good bike, but it tends to get a little tiresome in traffic.
the ET/LX is small and nimble, perfect for dodging movie stars in mercedes that are yapping on the phone.

if you're looking at new get the LX150, that way you get a warranty & you get to break it in. if you're thinking about used, see if you can scoop up a ET4 on the cheap.

my .02 worth

best,
-greasy
@lisaesca avatar
UTC

Hooked
05 Vespa GT200 & 02 Honda Reflex

Hooked
@lisaesca avatar
05 Vespa GT200 & 02 Honda Reflex
UTC quote
LX or GT
Forgive me in advance...I think the ETs are a little (gulp) girlie. I have owned an ET2, ET4 and a GT200 and I had to put a leopard seat cover on the GT in order to feel girlish! When it was just the ET4 and GT, my husband didn't want to ride the ET4 even before it had its seat cover. He looked really good on the GT. I think a guy your size would look better on the LX or GT. The ETs are round and curvy and have been made into so many Barbie toys that in my humble opinion without crash bars or other attempts to butch it up, its lines make it a chick scooter, much in the same way the Volks Beetle is labeled a chick car.

That said, I agree with what others wrote, that the ET and LX are smaller and more nimble. With the ET I wasn't hesitant to park it near a bike rack but with the GT I put it in a space because it looks too big to be parked on the sidewalk with the bicycles. So if parking is an issue, the ET and LX might get away with that "dodgy" kind of parking. And with a top speed of almost 65 mph, that's fast enough for a 4-mile commute. I've been on highways at 75 mph on the GT and it's scary yet exhiliarating.

Bottom line:
ET/LX = scooterlike; GT = motorcycle like. I think the ET/LX gets slightly better gas mileage but have smaller tanks by a gallon so you'll be filling up more. I noticed when we had the ET4 and GT you could almost see the needle moving towards empty.

Re new/used: We have bought all our scooters used except for the red 03 ET2 we won from Target in 2003. You avoid dealer fees and freight. I have noticed that a lot of people who buy Vespas break them in responsibly and sell them with low mileage. Dealers jack up the price of used Vespas. You can find nice, trustworthy individuals in groups such as this who are buying newer and bigger or sometimes smaller scooters and sell their old ones. It costs about $300-400 to ship them if you find a good deal in another city or state.

Hope that helps and glad you're getting on two wheels in CA. Hope the rain stops soon. Hope the brush fires here in TX stop soon. The price we pay for avoiding harsh winters, I guess.

Lisa
@kevin avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200

Addicted
@kevin avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
siznimper wrote:
siznimper - I haven't had any problem with the GT with lane-splitting now and then. It won't be an issie.

Going new might be best to keep the warranty (unless they are transferable, anyone know?)

Welcome to modernvespa.com. Let us know when you are an owner.

Kevin
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Kevin wrote:
Going new might be best to keep the warranty (unless they are transferable, anyone know?)
I'm no authority on the subject, but the warranty booklet has a form in the back for transfer of ownership, so I'm going to make the rash assumption that it is in fact transferrable.
@kev avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie

Hooked
@kev avatar
Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
When I bought my second hand GT last year (private sale), I was told by my service centre that the waranty would be honored after transferal. I think the waranty becomes more valuable to a second hand owner than a considerate new owner... (peace of mind etc).
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Re: LX or GT
LisaEsca wrote:
Forgive me in advance...I think the ETs are a little (gulp) girlie... The ETs are round and curvy and have been made into so many Barbie toys that in my humble opinion without crash bars or other attempts to butch it up, its lines make it a chick scooter, much in the same way the Volks Beetle is labeled a chick car...
Okay, you're forgiven Lisa. When I bought my 2005 ET4, in September 2005, I had a choice of ET4s, LXs, and GTs in the Vespa showroom. Not having prior exposure to Vespas (or scooters), I used my own esthetic judgement in picking the ET4 over the LX. For me, the ET4 has beautiful lines. The body is made of curves, not lines or circles. The oval headlight blends into the front end, as do the rear cowls. I also preferred the wheel rim's oval cutouts, over the straight spoke design. I even had a preference for the ET4 floor mats, as I had no prior bias to a retro design.
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N
UTC quote
Normally waranty goes with th evehicle, not the owner.
If you sell a one year old vespa, th enew owner gets on eyear of warranty that's carried over.
@robardin avatar
UTC

Hooked
Black '06 Piaggio BV500; Black '05 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Hooked
@robardin avatar
UTC quote
siznimper wrote:
Hello-

I'm in the market for a Vespa.

I am considering the LX150, the ET4, and the GT200

I will typically be riding it in LA traffic 4 miles to and from work.

I am 5'10, 190 lbs.

Prices I have found -

LX - 4700 out the door
GT - 5500 new, 5100 used with 100 miles out the door
ET4 - 4600 out the door

What would you guys get? Is the GT harder to maneuver between cars in gridlock traffic because of its larger size?
Of these three I chose and ride a GT200. I'm 6'2" and found the ET4 too small. The LX wasn't around when was looking for my scooter back in March of '05, but it seems pretty much the same size as the ET4, just better looking

I ride 11+ miles each way in NYC traffic, I have no problems fitting between cars, though I did clip my mirrors a lot the first month or two (no harm done). The dual disc brakes are very nice too.

If I were you I'd try to get the used GT200 for $5000. I would not consider the ET4 given the availability of the LX150, unless there were a really serious discount.

Ultimately the best answer is: ride them all and see how you like them, then get the one you like best at the best available price. If you really like the GT over the LX150 don't let the $500 difference between them keep you from getting it once you're already dropping a minimum of $4600, it will eat at you over time. Conversely if you are fine with the looks and performance of the now-discontinued ET4, you should be able to pick up a used one from a private seller at considerably less than $4700.
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Re: LX or GT
LisaEsca wrote:
Forgive me in advance...I think the ETs are a little (gulp) girlie. I have owned an ET2, ET4 and a GT200 and I had to put a leopard seat cover on the GT in order to feel girlish!
Damn, Imma hafta get rid of my ET then, and get a GTS.

Wait.... I'm doing that anyhow, for reasons other than it being 'girlie'.
⚠️ Last edited by Grind on UTC; edited 1 time
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
LisaEsca wrote:
I think a guy your size would look better on the LX or GT.
Side by side, my ET is virtually the same size as my wife's LX. I'm getting the GTS because it's bigger, less cramped.
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
LisaEsca wrote:
The ETs are round and curvy and have been made into so many Barbie toys
My daughters have them.
⚠️ Last edited by Grind on UTC; edited 1 time
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
... that in my humble opinion without crash bars or other attempts to butch it up, its lines make it a chick scooter, much in the same way the Volks Beetle is labeled a chick car.
Imma gonna chrome up my GTS even though it's not 'girlie' 8)
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
I'm 5'11" and 255 lbs. I like the GT200 for commuting on the freeway,
I like my ET4 for lanesplitting.

People have looked at me funny when I put the GT on the sidewalk to get around traffic, not so much with the ET..

-larry
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Thanks again for all of the input - what would you say would be a reasonable and good price for a used, say an 04, ET4 with under 1k miles on it?

Used Vespas are hard to come by in LA, though.

Is insurance on an ET4 going to be significantly (or any???) less than on a GT200?
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Just bought a used ET4 - 2001, 676 miles, Silver - Top case, Vespa helmet, and a second full-face helmet included - registration paid through Nov 06 - $2950!

Thanks for the help, all!
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Oh no you didn't. Cool Beans!
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Congrats! I hope, above all else, that it makes you smile.
@robardin avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@robardin avatar
UTC quote
siznimper wrote:
Just bought a used ET4 - 2001, 676 miles, Silver - Top case, Vespa helmet, and a second full-face helmet included - registration paid through Nov 06 - $2950!

Thanks for the help, all!
Congratulations!

I knew you could do better than $4600
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Way to go! With 676 miles on it, has it had it's first service?
OP
UTC

UTC quote
mongoose wrote:
Way to go! With 676 miles on it, has it had it's first service?
Yup! Full papers and everything!

So, what should I know at this point - check for?

Rode it around Santa Monica and Brentwood tonight - so much fun!
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
siznimper wrote:
Congratulations! You've just bought a (nearly) new classic-- Great price, too. I love my ET4-- its lines are pleasing to the eye, and it's zippy enough that you'll have a great time.

(& if you're still power hungry, you can always follow others to the Dark Side, and use some of the $$ you saved on performance upgrades-- once you finish buying gear-- 8) )

Cheers,

--Deborah
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
Congrats on your new scooter. I know you will enjoy it, Beale.
@sean avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS Super 300 many others

Hooked
@sean avatar
Vespa GTS Super 300 many others
UTC quote
siznimper

If you have any further questions on your new (to you ) Vespa or in need of any services you can contacted me (Sean) at the Vespa Santa Monica shop. I give discounts on services if you are a part of this forum. Also I can point you in the right direction for events and rides.

Congratulations!

Sean Needham
Vespa Santa Moinca
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Thanks Sean - I might take you up on that - I spoke with a girl in your shop one weekend day - I forget her name, though...but she was very helpful.

I actually may bring 'er by at some point - I know little about these things, and it seems like it might be hesitating off the line more than it should.

Thanks again! 1 week down and already 100 miles
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0365s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0019s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]