UTC

saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Wow, I've been away too long!

A few weeks in India... a couple more in the U.S.... and then a short stay in Austria. The contrast between the PTW culture in these disparate places was stark.

India, by economic and infrastructure necessity, has a thriving PTW culture. Scooters are omnipresent, but are starting to show signs that their sun will one day set as motorcycles are increasingly seen by the scooter crowd as an outward sign of having arrived in the middle class.

The U.S. (Connecticut and New York this trip) had a nice sampling of high-end/high displacement luxury bikes and hogs, but were so empty of scooters that a rare sighting on the streets of Manhattan or tooling down a coastal road in Westport jerked my head around as if a Bald Eagle had suddenly flown into view.

In Vienna PTWs were everywhere... especially scooters. And Vespas... lots of shiny new ones and the occasional vintage one... were parked on nearly every corner. Clearly, to the Viennese, scooters are well entrenched as both commuter tool and fashion statement.

Sorry to ramble, but it's so good to be back home. And great to be back at MV. I've missed both.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
Nice observations. It's very true about the US - we don't have a thriving mainstream scooter culture. Perhaps a thriving fringe scooter culture, but I think the most dense collection of scooters here must be around the universities, where 50s are king.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0106s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0048s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]