@mark3eric avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
VESPA GTS250,

Enthusiast
@mark3eric avatar
VESPA GTS250,
UTC quote
After collecting my GTS in terrible weather it got me thinking that a screen would reduce the wind/rain on my chest.

Been looking around and there appear to be different height screens.

I really like the look of the low screen but worry that it may just divert the wind etc from the chest straigt into the face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone got any experience?
@stinkyjones avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 244, 2005 BMW F652 CS, 2001 ET4 150

Ossessionato
@stinkyjones avatar
2009 GTV 244, 2005 BMW F652 CS, 2001 ET4 150
UTC quote
Re: GTS 250 - which screen?
mark3eric wrote:
After collecting my GTS in terrible weather it got me thinking that a screen would reduce the wind/rain on my chest.

I really like the look of the low screen but worry that it may just divert the wind etc from the chest straigt into the face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're going to do it, you got to do it right . . . full size shower door complete with towel rack.
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
UTC quote
I have a Faco. The top edge is 13 1/2" above the headset when installed. That puts it a little below eye level. When driving you can feel the air going over the top of your head. Rain and bugs not as much. Probably still want to wear eye protection. Keeps you almost dry if you wear a helmet and face shield.
UTC

Hooked
GTS300ie, '22 Primavera 150

Hooked
GTS300ie, '22 Primavera 150
UTC quote
mark3eric wrote:
... it got me thinking that a screen would reduce the wind/rain on my chest.....
Ideal setup:
Get the Vespa Tall Screen and cut it down so you peer over the top edge and see the road surface 40' ahead. That way you will have a clear view, but wind and debris will go over and around you.
@strick avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Ossessionato
@strick avatar
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S
UTC quote
stinkyjones wrote:
mark3eric wrote:

If you're going to do it, you got to do it right . . . full size shower door complete with towel rack.
+1
@marktheblue avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTV125 & GT60

Addicted
@marktheblue avatar
GTV125 & GT60
UTC quote
FWIW - and I have no experience of anything other than a standard screen - I like the mid screens and will get around to treating myself to one of these for my GT60:

http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_pageCCS=t#page=/item_details/GT60-GTV-Mid-Size-Flyscreen-Windshield/1680

IMO the full height screens do take something away aesthetically but I guess are the most ummm... functional.

Best,

Mark
@el_scorcho avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS

Hooked
@el_scorcho avatar
GTS
UTC quote
I have two- This was my report posted a while ago-
Quote:
I have a GTS250 and own two windshields.

First, let me start by saying that I'm 5'11. This matters...

I run the Faco Mid windshield in cooler weather. It puts the wind either in my face or on my helmet, keeping it off my body- Ideal for cold weather commutes (I'm in California, it gets down to 30 degrees in the winter mornings). I have a 3/4 helmet and the wind-sound isn't bad at all. I ride on surface streets and freeways. With the Faco Mid, I hit the top speed before the speed governor kicks in pretty quickly.

I run the Prima flyscreen in warmer months. It looks cool, but puts the wind right in my chest. Like the Faco mid, it's not super noisy... I also noticed that with the Prima flyscreen, I rarely hit the top speed before the speed governor kicks in.

If you're style over substance, get the Prima flyscreen. It looks cool. Otherwise, go for the Faco mid. Or, get both like me (the hardware is resuable between the two windshields).
OP
@mark3eric avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
VESPA GTS250,

Enthusiast
@mark3eric avatar
VESPA GTS250,
UTC quote
vintage red matthew wrote:
I have a Faco. The top edge is 13 1/2" above the headset when installed. That puts it a little below eye level. When driving you can feel the air going over the top of your head. Rain and bugs not as much. Probably still want to wear eye protection. Keeps you almost dry if you wear a helmet and face shield.
OP
@mark3eric avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
VESPA GTS250,

Enthusiast
@mark3eric avatar
VESPA GTS250,
UTC quote
Here's a pic of the Vstrom screen
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@mark3eric avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
VESPA GTS250,

Enthusiast
@mark3eric avatar
VESPA GTS250,
UTC quote
http://veukscooterspares.blogspot.com/2010/06/auto-faco-tween-screen-for-vespa-gtgts.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

If this works then i think i have found alink to the FACO TWEEN.

I will definitely be ordering one if they do it in a dark tint.
@scutrbrau avatar
UTC

The Beer Guy
2010 GTS 300 Super and 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT

The Beer Guy
@scutrbrau avatar
2010 GTS 300 Super and 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
UTC quote
While I can't tell you which will work best on your scoot, I can tell you about my recent experience cutting a couple of windshields. We just got a full Vespa screen and the large Cuppini, both of which needed to be trimmed down. The Vespa screen cut like butter. Though my line wasn't quite as smooth as I would have liked, the cutting itself couldn't have been easier. The Cuppini, on the other hand, was much more brittle and hard to cut. I ended up taking a couple of good sized chunks out of the edge and then a few inch-long cracks went through the screen. My technique was the same with both - both sides of the windshield covered in blue painters tape, fine toothed blade on the jigsaw, screen well supported to reduce vibration. The main difference, as best as I can tell, was the material they are made of.

Your mileage may vary. I'm sure others here have cut Cuppini screens without incident. I wasn't so lucky and ended up with a useless chunk of plastic.
OP
@mark3eric avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
VESPA GTS250,

Enthusiast
@mark3eric avatar
VESPA GTS250,
UTC quote
Just looked further into it. The small section is indeed tinted and the top clear section is fully adjustable.

I have ordered one so will update on looks/performance when it arrives and is fitted.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0159s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0063s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]