@exonicjay avatar
UTC

Addicted
ET4-150 GTS250ie PX200 with Cozy Sidecar

Addicted
@exonicjay avatar
ET4-150 GTS250ie PX200 with Cozy Sidecar
UTC quote
What is the out the door price (less tax) for a GTS 250 in the USA or Canada?
@kev avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie

Hooked
@kev avatar
Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
C$7499 plus delivery, plates etc... sorry can't remember the exact price of those bits... :?
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
$5799

+ delivery, setup, freight, whatever.

This + amount is determined by the dealer and often amounts to about $300-$350. Sometimes less. Rarely more. Dealer will tell you. Sometimes they will discount these + amounts, but it's unlikely they would discount the bike from the $5799 MSRP, and some dealers may even price it higher.

I asked a dealer and they came back with $5799 + $125 doc fee + $195 freight&setup = $6119 out the door before sales tax for your area is applied.
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
Vespa of Portland Orgegon charges an additional $500 for freight and setup.
@mesmer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT200

Molto Verboso
@mesmer avatar
GT200
UTC quote
cfargo wrote:
Vespa of Portland Orgegon charges an additional $500 for freight and setup.
Not to mention that I was at Vespa of Portland over Christmas with my wife and her family (6 of us) and we looked at EVERY scoot in the store and we were the only ones in the place, and the guy behind the counter NEVER said hi or made any notice of us. We were in there for 10-15 minutes before we left. Needless to say, none of us had good feelings about the shop after we left.
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
UTC quote
Just for fun, I looked up the prices over here
GTS 250 (without abs) EUR 4399 or about $ 5280
GTS 250 (with ABS) EUR 4929 or about $ 5920

I used exchange rate of EUR1 = $1,2

The prices would be pretty muchthe same then?
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
Vespa of Portand screwed my GT200 up when I took it there for Service. It came out in much worse shape then when it went in. Piaggio USA says they are going to make it right but that still hasn't happened.
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
Hayes wrote:

But those prices include VAT aroud 19%. Our prices are BEFORE sales tax.
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
We charge $5799.00 plus tax title freight and prep

-larry
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
cfargo wrote:
Vespa of Portand screwed my GT200 up when I took it there for Service. It came out in much worse shape then when it went in. Piaggio USA says they are going to make it right but that still hasn't happened.
Isn't this flame more than a bit unfair?

Neither Vespa Portland or Piaggio can defend themselves but this mean spirited post can slam them without the full story represented.

Doesn't this violate the positive, helpful, and friendly tone of this board?
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Maybe the poster was a little grumpy. On the other hand (and I know ZERO about this dealer so I'm not judgin'), I might add that there have been a couple of other less-than-positive posts about this particular dealer.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite rules: "It's not mean if it's true"
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
Quote:
Which reminds me of one of my favorite rules: "It's not mean if it's true"
i dunno about that one.
see, you can say i'm an asshole.
which is true.
but you can be nice about it: greasy is a difficult individual.

i always remember what my mommy taught me... if i don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

but i also heeded my father's advice: make a list of all the people that have pissed you off or talked shit on you or your friends; that way you can be sure that you won't forget who they are, or what they did.

love & kisses,
-greasy
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Oh Greasy, your dad's rule isn't workable for me. I seem to get slighted, outright or covert, almost on a daily basis here. This is one of the better forums in cyberspace, but we're all just human. Still, I come back and try to be helpful. I hear the words of my wife, telling me to let it go. It's a clean-slate every day.
@vesparican avatar
UTC

Hooked
NONE (At this moment)

Hooked
@vesparican avatar
NONE (At this moment)
UTC quote
"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
JFK

VESPARICAN 8)
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
I'll be more then happy to post the full story here (with photos, mechanics names, dates and time) if you like, but then I would only be saying a lot more negative things about that dealer. Justin (the owner of Vespa Portland) isn't banned from posting here.

I don't know about you but if someone I know, knows a particular mechanic/dealer is bad, I would want them to tell me before I became just another victim of said shop. I take this as a positive thing to help another scooterist. If the goal of this forum is to hide the truth to be PC, I'm out of here.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I'm standing by Curt. Here's why:

If he had a negative experience, then he had a negative experience and it's not unreasonable of him to share that here, in this forum, as an honest report. He didn't flame Vespa Portland -- he reported his experience, however briefly, and in a non-inflammatory way. That is within the boundaries. We do plenty of "boosting" here of Vespa and Piaggio and our local dealers. We're also honest about it when our expectations aren't met. That's what this forum is about -- the truth, warts and all, good and bad.
@wetspeed avatar
UTC

GTed4LIFE
'05 GT200

GTed4LIFE
@wetspeed avatar
'05 GT200
UTC quote
lehem wrote:
cfargo wrote:
Isn't this flame more than a bit unfair?

Neither Vespa Portland or Piaggio can defend themselves but this mean spirited post can slam them without the full story represented.

Doesn't this violate the positive, helpful, and friendly tone of this board?
This forum is about scooterist helping scooterist.

Part of that is sharing your personal experiences both good and bad with sales and service. As long as the complaint is valid, (as in Curt's case) then it is well within the positive, helpful, and friendly tone of this board. As Curt stated, Vespa Portland can post here and defend themselves if they want. The bottom line is some dealer's sales and service departments are better than others. I for one will go out of my way to a dealer that is helpful, technically competent and supportive of scooterist and not just there to make a buck. In addition, if this type of information helps someone from having a bad Vespa experience, then it is a win for the scooterist and Piaggio.

Also be aware that Piaggio USA and several dealers lurk on this board from time to time.

As always JMHO.
@rjvespa07 avatar
UTC

Burgman 650

@rjvespa07 avatar
Burgman 650
UTC quote
interesting !!
TELL IT BZZZ - I agree 100% if its true its not mean. I am on this site to LEARN about people's honest, truthful experiences and I trust people are decent enough to post the truth. So.. folks if you have had a good or bad experience .. this IS the forum to share your thoughts! I am sure that I am not the only person on this site that is researching Vespa and how their dealers handle their customers. I GREATLY appreciate all the info. Lets hope that Piaggio and Vespa are paying attention!! Ok ... I' off the soapbox now .. peace
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Quote:
We charge $5799.00 plus tax title freight and prep-larry
The question was "what's the out the door price?" OTD = retail + whatever. What's your OTD... er... what's your "whatever?"
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
UTC quote
cfargo wrote:
Hayes wrote:

Wow, then they are cheaper out here
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Bzzz wrote: It's not mean if it's true."

I should clarify. Of course it IS mean to say something just to BE mean. Like it's not acceptable to say "You're ugly" or "you're a jerk" even if it's true, or if I think it's true. So it's the INTENT of the statement.

In the case of the posting he used a neutral, factual manner. He didn't say "they are assholes" or anything, he just stated the fact that the guy sat there and let them wander the store. It's not mean if it's true.

One thing I love about my local dealer is that there is always an energy in the place, everyone seems happy to be there, and they are enthusiastic about motorbikes of any variety. They all ride and love scootering/motorcycling, and you often get caught up in their enthusiasm right away. It's almost always a good and positive experience.
@mesmer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT200

Molto Verboso
@mesmer avatar
GT200
UTC quote
You want enthusiasm?... Step into Vespa of Santa Barbara. Bobby is dripping with it! He's a great guy and has a great shop. He helped me piece together my Salvage GT, while my 3 local dealers gave no indication of wanting to order parts for my bike, they just wanted to sell complete bikes and service.

+1 for Vespa of Santa Barbara!
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
Bobby has been an asset to me and my scoots too and he if 350 miles away. I had asked for some prices on parts from my closest dealer and was told after a week that they were too busy taking care of "their customers" to help me right now. The same request was sent to Scooter Bobby in Santa Barbara and he helped with enthusiasm.

+2 for Bobby
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Good to know. Thanks.
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
6766.00 delivered within 100 miles of 44128 including cuyahoga countie's tax rate which does not apply to out of county or out of state purchasers.

my fiancee wants to trade her green gt200 in on the red gts...

BTW: Everyone has a bad day. Curt, I have no idea what yo udo for a living. But, if you had a bad day, or just an off day, you wouldn't necessarily want it to come back and haunt you for the rest of your days, it sucks if Piaggio hasn't made it right, but I would think it would be more of the dealer's concern to make it right. I'm not saying that piaggio shouldn't be concerned, but, it seems like the dealer's responsibility. If they Effed you, give them a chance to make it right. (maybe you already have)

Eff me once, shame on you, eff me twice shame on me!

-larry
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
Larry

Yes it should be a dealer thing to make it right and the dealer did so on part of the problems by sending me parts to fix the Stella I bought from him that wasn't properly assembled by his staff. But seeing how I live 500 miles from Portland and was only there for a rally and to visit my brother, It is too far for me to take it back there (not that I would trust their mechanic again).

I'm in the service industry (camera and projector repair) myself and I know they hung the last perfect person to the cross. With out going into the long story, it wasn't just one scooter nor was it just on one day.
⚠️ Last edited by cfargo on UTC; edited 1 time
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
cool, or uncool...

I'm not trying to pass judgement, just lettin' you know where i stand...

-larry
(tryin' hard to keep things light and airy)
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
I'm all for this board's thing about helping other scooterists. Its why I lurk while I learn. I just think that for one guy (Fergo in this case) to bash a legitimate Vepsa dealer and Piaggio too represents a one-sided bully pulpit bash. He claimed that Vespa Portland screwed up his Vespa. That's a serious claim.

From the sounds of it, after reading more, this Fergo guy must be ridiculously hard to please because he seems to have problems all over the place.

But there are always two sides of every story. Aren't there?

We can all take heed of this warning because we think it helps all of us. Or we can chug some salt and ignore flames like that. That's all I got to say.

Btw, Vespa Portland is a great store. And they run a great business.
@mesmer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT200

Molto Verboso
@mesmer avatar
GT200
UTC quote
lehem wrote:
I'm all for this board's thing about helping other scooterists. Its why I lurk while I learn. I just think that for one guy (Fergo in this case) to bash a legitimate Vepsa dealer and Piaggio too represents a one-sided bully pulpit bash. He claimed that Vespa Portland screwed up his Vespa. That's a serious claim.

From the sounds of it, after reading more, this Fergo guy must be ridiculously hard to please because he seems to have problems all over the place.

But there are always two sides of every story. Aren't there?

We can all take heed of this warning because we think it helps all of us. Or we can chug some salt and ignore flames like that. That's all I got to say.

Btw, Vespa Portland is a great store. And they run a great business.
First of all, his name is Fargo.

Second, I was there the day his GT GRINDED to a stop alongside the freeway. He had to leave his wife with the bike so he could ride her scoot home to get the trailer to get his bike home. I saw the ball bearings dropping out of his clutch housing as he was trying to figure out what was wrong with his bike.

So, Vepsa Portland may treat you right, or even most people right, but I stand with Curt on this one. Plus the way I was treated with my wife and her family cements my decision to never return.

my .02¢
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
I'd go to Bobby's shop any day of the week, even though he got me lost

Next time I'm down there on the GT (might be runnin' the atlantic on my next socal trip) I'm gonna stop by just to get it looked over for no other reason than to have capable mechanics at a great store check out the bike and make sure she's runnin' good.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Lehem - I welcome your statements, positive or otherwise, about Vespa Portland.

However, the rest of your post is again bordering on a personal attack. Please re-read these posting guidelines. You've got a total of three posts here, and only two of them are visible. Curt is a valued member of this community. You're welcome to have a rational discourse on this or any other subject, but I won't tolerate personal attacks here. Further, you've done far more to fan the flames here and stir up conflict than Curt ever did, and there's only so much more of that I'll allow.
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
I hear Larry at Vespa Cleveland poops his pants.

Damn, that's me! I mean

-larry
(Who obviously does not poop his pants
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
Re: ...
demonlarry wrote:
(Who obviously does not poop his pants
tho I must say, Larry, your avatar has a lot of smoke comin' out of your.. buttular region...
@scooterbobby avatar
UTC

Hooked
31 motorcycles..8scooters and a bad -ass Fiat 500

Hooked
@scooterbobby avatar
31 motorcycles..8scooters and a bad -ass Fiat 500
UTC quote
wow..thanks for all the props guys(and gals)...glad we are doin' it right...as for the OTD price ours is $6702.42 and that does not include the "modern vespa" discount....
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
More on Vespa PDX, & on scooter community--
[BTW, ExonicJay, sorry for the threadjack--]

Something I've valued on other forums I've frequented is getting 1st person accounts-- real life customer reviews. I also like to hear the full range, both pros and cons.

It's important to hear when things haven't gone right-- & also for folks to take their complaints directly to the shops involved, to give them a chance to make things right-- Didn't get decent service? The manager/owner/Piaggio should hear about it, as well as your forum of choice.

I've dealt directly w Vespa Portland since getting my ET4, and have mostly been treated really well, including some very energetic, informative exchanges. They're now transitioning, with the NE Broadway shop to be service only, and the new NW 23rd shop to be the retail location. This may be for the best-- Mesmer, maybe you & your family had a bad day with someone who really is better at wrenching than at retail sales...

I've also appreciated the broader scooter community here in Portland, with new & vintage scooters on rides of different makes & sizes getting along quite well, for the most part. There's a little bit of grousing by folks in the other shops about Vespa PDX, and vice versa, but most folks tend to leave that alone-- fine by me!
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
cfargo wrote:
Hayes wrote:

p.s. In Oregon, there's **no sales tax**! 8)
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
pdxvespa wrote:
In Oregon, there's **no sales tax**!
This could be misleading. Going to Oregon to buy a GT doesn't get you out of paying sales tax. You just don't pay it directly to the dealer up front, that's all.

In fact, there's no tax payable to the dealer in *any* state (except CA) if you don't live there. When you get the scooter home, if you live in a tax state then you'll be paying that sales tax when you go to register/buy plates.

The tax is based on where you register it, not where you make the purchase. There's no benefit at all to buying a motor vehicle in a no-sales-tax state like Oregon unless you also live there and register your vehicles there.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Re: More on Vespa PDX, & on scooter community--
pdxvespa wrote:
I've dealt directly w Vespa Portland since getting my ET4, and have mostly been treated really well, including some very energetic, informative exchanges.
Thanks for contributing a respectful and personal experience to the conversation. Exactly what I was hoping for.
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Jess: Thanks for keeping me on track and you´re totally right. I really like reading this board and learn alot from it. I just get real sensitive to using boards to bash legitimate businesses that usually do a great job and then have one guy with a bad experience unravel years of hard work and investment. And its all one sided. I have personal experience with guys on boards who have used their access to a user community and without any checks and balance have tarnished and really harmed a good business. And I´m sorry that I got so aggressive but I really feel strongly about harsh comments that are 100% subjective. Especially when they are aimed at someone who has invested a ton of money and hard work into the creation of a great business. And I appreciate the opportunity to say so. Now I´m going back to wrenching on my shiznit Italian cafe racer so that I don´t have to keep feeding my GT with $4 worth of gas again this month. Seacrest out.
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
Lehem

I don't know who, where or what you are especially since the same day you joined you started bashing me. Who are you and what is your vested interest in this matter? My name is Curt Fargo of Vacaville California and I have NOTHING to hide. For you to insinuate that I had something to do with my recent flooding problems, you are giving me more credit than I deserve as I do believe in God but I sure aint close enough to tell him to cause floods.

As for my comments about service to my scooters, it isn't subjective it is factual and well documented. Nor does the owner of Vespa Portland deny. Piaggio USA's Service Manager, Eric Larson even agrees. Again this wasn't just one scooter nor was it just on one day.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0283s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0030s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]