@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
Got up on saturday to beautiful scootin' weather. Low 40s but going up to the mid 50s. Cruizin' some back roads near the Shennandoah Nat'l Park and saw a deer that had been hit by a car. Upon my return trip I could see the deer up ahead with 7 or 8 buzzards enjoying an afternoon buffet. I slowed down as they were right on the shoulder and I didn't want any trouble. I gave them a few warning honks as I approached. They all slowly began flapping their wings trying to get airborne. They all flew away from me, oh...except for one who came towards me. I gave "Lola" a bit of gas and tried to get by, but that big bird literally landed on my head and tried to push off, catching a wing between me and my windscreen (swear, it must gave been a 5 foot wingspan). Meanwhile I'm bobbin' & weavin' trying to stay shiny side up. That's all I remember as it happened in a matter of seconds. Bird got away clean except for some errant feathers stuck in my visor. After a quick check of the scooter, I was on my way again.

It might be one of those "you had to be there" moments, but I was!! A 3 foot tall buzzard, wildly flapping its 5 foot wingspan in terror trying to get out from between me and my windscreed at 20mph.

Sorry, no video.

Anyone else have a National Geographic Moment?
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
Wow! Did you have to get off the scoot to check yourself, That would have scared me silly. I am glad that neither you or the scooter had any "real" harm done, Beale.
OP
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
Yeah, I guess I continued on about a quarter mile,before I pulled over and took my helmet off, half expecting to find a birds foot stuck on it. Everything was OK though. Just needed a little decompression time.
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
When I was about 26 or 27...

Riding back to my parents house for a visit, 81 P210, cruisin!...

See what appears to be a crouching monkey about 1/4 miles ahead. to the right hand side. Now the fact that my parents live 45 miles outside of Buffalo, NY, led me to believe that it wasn't a crouching chimp, they are not indigenous to upstate NY.

Be that as it may, it was hairy looking and I knew if it stood straight up, it'd be 3-4 feet tall.

<internal dialogue>
I know noone is ever driving down this road, chimp on my right, I'll ride in the left lane, by the time he realizes I'm there, I'm gone...Perfect plan, don't even slow down to take a look at the "Great New York State Plains Chimp" just let him be...no, larry, just leave him alone, what are you doing in the right lane, get over, c'mon, he's gonna git ya.
</internal dialogue>

So, our hero, as stupid as he is good-looking Laughing emoticon decides to slow down a bit and take a look at

HOLY F*@%!!! Thats the Largest-

-Wingspan as big as my effin' bike-
-flying right at me-
-that things gotta be 15-20 lbs-
(amazing what runs through your head when staring impending doom in the face)

OWL I"VE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was belly bucked by what felt like a sack of flying potatoes, swerved into the left lane,

(out in the country we have deep ditches on either side of the road)

into the ditch, with "Ponch and John" off roading grace, I came back up on the other side of the ditch and now i'm riding through a field.

Stopped, I looked back to see where this flying potato monkey of an owl is laying, I see the feathers on the road, and in my visor, oh gross, there appears to be owl blood on my jacket, and there he is. in the ditch.

I get my bearings exit the field and off to my parents to call the game warden and figure out what to do.

Game warden meets me at the scene of the "Great Owl Murder of Mountain Road".

Here's the feathers, there is the , what the, where is the owl.

So, no owl, no crime.

But, yeah, hitting large birds sucks. If you can help it don't do it, all it takes is a talon in the chest and your hurtin'
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
Great adventure Jerry.
Yup, I've got at least one for you. I was swimming off a little island in Singapore, called Palu Ubin. Just as I reached the shore, a humongous monitor lizard came out of the surf with me! The lizard had a large fish in its mouth. It ran, with the thrashing fish in its mouth, into the thick jungle and disappeared.
OP
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
addicted wrote:
Great adventure Jerry.
Yup, I've got at least one for you. I was swimming off a little island in Singapore, called Palu Ubin. Just as I reached the shore, a humongous monitor lizard came out of the surf with me! The lizard had a large fish in its mouth. It ran, with the thrashing fish in its mouth, into the thick jungle and disappeared.
YIKES!!!!
@munny avatar
UTC

Hooked
P200, 150 super, ET4 190

Hooked
@munny avatar
P200, 150 super, ET4 190
UTC quote
how did your undies fair the escapade? I woulda pooped my pants.
OP
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
I was too busy swatting, ducking and balancing. I guess I'm not that good at multi-tasking as my undies were relatively poop free

Of course, I'm relatively experienced in this sort of thing, after running over the Labradoodle last year. That time the scooter and my body didn't fair as well. OUCH!! Crying or Very sad emoticon Dog was fine though
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
JerryG wrote:
...my undies were relatively poop free
Relatively
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
Jerry,

Glad to hear you came out of that alright. I hope I don't have any stories like that of my own to tell.

Larry,

That was one of the funniest stories I've heard in a while Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon

Tim
@bvbob avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan

Molto Verboso
@bvbob avatar
UTC quote
I got attacked by a somewhat smaller "bird" last August while riding my scooter. While riding away from my house, I saw my good looking neighbor in her front yard, so I flipped my face shield to say hi and got nailed in the face (right between the eyes) by a bumble bee. I smoothy 8) put the shield down and rode over to a gas station to get gas- it still didn't hurt too much- the lady at the gas station asked what happened. How'd she know I wondered. I told her I just got stung by a bee. I checked myself out in the mirror when I got back to the scoot and my face was starting to swell and my eyes shutting.... The next day one of my eyes was completely shut and I had to go to the doctor for a shot. Now I have to carry an epi-pen with me where ever I go because I'm now allergic. Keep your face shield down at ALL times. Lesson learned...
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
You're lucky your neighbor's hubby or significant other didn't give you a "bird"

-larry
@bvbob avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@bvbob avatar
UTC quote
Re: ...
demonlarry wrote:
You're lucky your neighbor's hubby or significant other didn't give you a "bird"

-larry
True! Razz emoticon - I also got bit in the head two weeks earlier by some other flying bug while on my bicycle. 2005 was not kind to me bug wise.
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
Great stories all! Larry that was a very funny, I was ROTFLOL. My wife and son thought I was nuts, and I am, Beale.
@killo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....

Ossessionato
@killo avatar
I have a few scooters....
UTC quote
I have a storage shed out back where I keep my scooters. The shed has a set of double doors with a ramp leading in. There's only one way in or out. I had taken my Vespa SS180 out for a cruise earlier in the day. Now it's time to put it away for the evening. I had left the doors to the shed open. I fired it up, and started across the backyard. On the way I encounter Mr. Squirrel playing with his nuts in the yard. Just for fun, I give the scoot some gas and hit the horn. The squirrel takes of like a flash. He heads right into the shed with me right behind him. Just as he gets inside the door he thinks better about getting trapped. Decision time for Mr. Squirrel. I wish I coud have captured the look on its face as it was trying to figure out if it should go further into the shed with me in pusuit or having to charge at me to get out first. Ultimately, he chose to run toward me and out. I was laughing so hard I nearly crashed.
@beachbuzz avatar
UTC

Hooked
Blur, Burgman, Buddy, Met, TGB

Hooked
@beachbuzz avatar
Blur, Burgman, Buddy, Met, TGB
UTC quote
squirrel encounter
several years ago (in my cycling days) I was on a typical lunch time ride on a quiet 2 lane road. 8) minding my own business rolling along at about 25mph I casually noticed a squirrel, also minding his own business, munching something with his back to me, just off the side of the road. nothing out of the ordinary, for me anyway. I must have startled the little fellow because just as I got along side of him he leapt and for some reason he leapt in my direction. talk about startled!! now I have a hitchhiker clinging to my calf with both of us trying to figure out what just happened. we made eye contact and I guess his instincts kicked in a little quicker than mine and he launched back towards the side of the road. I guess I was lucky there were no cars following me cause I'm sure there was some swerving going on. it only lasted a couple of seconds but the adrenaline rush was awesome. only a few minor scratches from the little guys tree hugger's grip. in hindsight I guess I'm glad he hit me in the leg and not the wheel! 25mph with blades spokes would have more disasterous results for both of us!!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0315s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0035s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]