OP
@nero avatar
UTC

@nero avatar
UTC quote
Hello everyone.
I am in the market for a scooter and have come here for the community and knowledge. I am torn between two scooters right now and was wondering if you guys could help out.
One on hand, is the Vespa LX150.
On the other, Aprilia Scarabeo 150. Either would be bought new, with the vespa being cheaper. Anyone cross shop these scoots? I'm kinda feel like the scarabeo may be too big to really be compared with the Vespa but they do share the same size engine. Aprilia kinda labels the bug as a hybrid scoot/cycle.
What would be real world fuel economy of the LX? Also, either scoot would be ridden everyday in sunny Orlando, FL so comfort will play a role as well.

Thanks for listening
@solid_steel avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX

Addicted
@solid_steel avatar
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
UTC quote
Hello...

Not tried the Aprilia, but the LX is a very good ride..

It is a Vespa, which means it is built like no other scooter (with a solid metal 1 piece frame & bodywork). This makes it feel nice & solid, like an exec car compared to a budget model..

The LX design is also pretty clever... it is tiny, but doesn't feel cramped.. there's nothing between the rider space on the LX & the bigger GT

My wife has 1, and it is great fun & nicely built..

The only downsides are the terrible side stands & the fact that they handle well enough to beg for more performance..

There's an ongoing write up here:

http://groups.msn.com/funontherun/owninga2005vespalx125.msnw

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
Too many things to consider
Ask yourself some questions. After test riding them both witch one did you like better ? Which dealer is closest to you for service and repair ? Which one looks better to you ? The Aprilia is 308 lbs and the Vespa 225lbs will you have any problem getting it on its center stand ? the seat height is an inch shorter on the Vespa (30.5) Aprilia (31.5). Both scoots have great names behind them. What is impotant to you ?

Tim
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
My wife has an LX, also. Great scooter. I don't know anything about the Aprilia, though.
Solid Steel wrote:
The only downsides are the terrible side stand...
Here in the US, they only have center stands.

*edited for fat fingers.
@solid_steel avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX

Addicted
@solid_steel avatar
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
UTC quote
mongoose wrote:
Here in the US, they only have center stands.
Probably for the best... they are very unstable...

The side stands on the GT & Hexagon are fine, but the LX's is bad..

I know 1 dealer refuses to fit them prior to sale..!
OP
@nero avatar
UTC

@nero avatar
UTC quote
Hmmm, didn't realize the Vespa was that much lighter. Well I guess I can't go wrong... Keeping it in the Piaggio family.
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Are they sold with both center and side stands in the UK?
@solid_steel avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX

Addicted
@solid_steel avatar
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
UTC quote
mongoose wrote:
Are they sold with both center and side stands in the UK?
Yep
@shag avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTS250, 2014 GTS 300 Super, 2009 Harley Crossbones, 883 Super Low Harley, 2010 LX150

Hooked
@shag avatar
2007 GTS250, 2014 GTS 300 Super, 2009 Harley Crossbones, 883 Super Low Harley, 2010 LX150
UTC quote
Since Vespa is basically the Harley Davidson of scooters, I'd have to say resale value is probably higher. I'm an LX150 owner who is very satisfied and loves that scooter. Have tried the other brand although I've heard favorable reports on it. Considering almost 100 extra weight, I'd think the performance is going to suffer, acceleration in particular. Whichever you choose I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. Cheers.
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Re: Newbie here!
Nero wrote:
What would be real world fuel economy of the LX?
I missed this question the first time around. My wife gets 55-60mpg with hers, and it's not run-in yet.
OP
@nero avatar
UTC

@nero avatar
UTC quote
You guys are awesome. What a nice community.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
Your best bet is to try both of them out. I haven't ridden either yet, but they are going to be way different. The Scarabeo is a liquid cooled, big wheeled scooter with plenty of weight. That said, it's pretty fast, from what I've been told. It's pretty stable too.

The LX should be a lot more nimble and tossable. Depends on what you're going for.

I know this is going to sound like heresy on a Vespa forum, but don't listen to the hype about the metal body of a Vespa. When it comes right down to it, I think the argument about metal over plastic is pretty much a wash. There are pros and cons to both. To be honest, I wouldn't let it influence my purchasing decision very much. If you can, go out and ride both of them. If you can't. Sit on both of them, get the dealer to let you take them off the stand and put them back on. Walk one around as if you were going to park it. Get as good of a feel as you can for both, and then make your decision.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0281s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0021s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]