OP
@mannyt avatar
UTC

2005 ET4, 2007 GTS250

@mannyt avatar
2005 ET4, 2007 GTS250
UTC quote
I have heard from a Vespa mechanic that the wheelbase on the GTS is greater than on the GT, however, the specs that I have read do not indicate this to be so. Is the wheelbase longer?
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
I'm prepping one today, I'll do some measurements let you know...

-larry
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
Shorter from the specs I've seen, by about an inch. I was told the LEADER and QUASAR have multiple places where there can be a drive output. If one engine is longer, they might have changed the output hole, which gave it a shorter wheelbase overall? Don't know.
@wetspeed avatar
UTC

GTed4LIFE
'05 GT200

GTed4LIFE
@wetspeed avatar
'05 GT200
UTC quote
GTS is Longer. Part of the reason for the redesigned rear end.
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
Bryce Ludwig wrote:
Shorter from the specs I've seen, by about an inch.
Bryce is right. The specs on the Vespa USA site list the wheelbase of the GTS as being identical to the GT, but that appears to be a typo. Every other Vespa site worldwide lists the GTS's wheelbase as being 0.9inches shorter.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
You're correct, the wheelbase is slightly shorter but the bike itself has the extended light so the overall length is slightly longer. The differences are very slight, however. For all intents and purposes, they are identical.
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
Bzzz wrote:
For all intents and purposes, they are identical.
I dunno, have you ridden your GT200 at the limit on a curvy road? It needs some help in the handling department. A shorter wheelbase was definitely called for on a sport model. In the world of motorbike wheelbases, an inch is a pretty long way.
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
GTS-
Wheel center to wheel center is 55 inches long.

seat height on center stand is 32.5 inches

seat width is 15 inches

my helmet size is XL in Arai
xxl in KBC
L-XL in fulmer

-larry
@wetspeed avatar
UTC

GTed4LIFE
'05 GT200

GTed4LIFE
@wetspeed avatar
'05 GT200
UTC quote
Specs in questrion.
demonlarry wrote:
GTS-
Wheel center to wheel center is 55 inches long.
Larry's measurement converts to 1,397mm. The VespaUSA website list the GTS at 1,395 or 54.9 inches. I just measured my '05 GT and it is approx 54 inches (1371.6mm) long center to center. It is possible that I am a little off, but not .9 inches. I think the US GT spec is incorrect.

If my and Larry's measurements are correct, this would coincide with what I was told at GTS250 School in So Cal the week before Christmas that the GTS is about .9 inch longer.

It is very possible that the US version are different that the Euro specs.

As far as the handling of the GT, My wife and I ride our GTs hard on very curvy mountain roads about 3 times a month. I have scrapped my security loop and she has scraped her heat shield on her stock exhaust.

We both feel the shocks (including spring rate) are the issue. Vespa has upgraded the spring rate on the front GTS shock and it made a difference in my test ride. I think that both the slightly longer wheelbase and the better shock, make the GTS handle better than the GT.
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
Re: Specs in questrion.
wetspeed wrote:
As far as the handling of the GT, My wife and I ride our GTs hard on very curvy mountain roads about 3 times a month. I have scrapped my security loop and she has scraped her heat shield on her stock exhaust.

We both feel the shocks (including spring rate) are the issue. Vespa has upgraded the spring rate on the front GTS shock and it made a difference in my test ride. I think that both the slightly longer wheelbase and the better shock, make the GTS handle better than the GT.
Have you thought about upgrading to the Bitubo front shock? I'd love to hear from someone with your riding experience if it really makes a difference.
@wetspeed avatar
UTC

GTed4LIFE
'05 GT200

GTed4LIFE
@wetspeed avatar
'05 GT200
UTC quote
John,

I have a set for my GT and a front one for the wife's. I am hoping to have them installed next week.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
jrsjr wrote:
Bzzz wrote:
For all intents and purposes, they are identical.
I dunno, have you ridden your GT200 at the limit on a curvy road? It needs some help in the handling department. A shorter wheelbase was definitely called for on a sport model. In the world of motorbike wheelbases, an inch is a pretty long way.
Ya, plenty of times in the foothills outside Denver. Corners on the downhills are taken by the sportbikes at 70-80 and I can follow at around 60-65 on my GT. I'm really looking forward to that different front shock with the rebound damping, along with the supposedly-better tires. Or are they shipping with the Pirellis?
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
Tank Slap 101
Tank slap, or "wobble" as it is more appropriately know for the step-thru crowd is inherent, and possible on any 2 wheeler. It is well known in the Harley world as a rather common effect.

From what I've heard, been told, gleaned, etc., it is caused as a result of a not too sweet steering head geometry, which while fixed at the angle it is manufactured at (Harleys being set at a particularly vulnerable angle, hence their tendency for "tank-slappers) that angle is dynamic based partially on the weight of the rider, and what the rear suspension is doing to the equation.

I'm beginning to wonder if the discussion involving the difference in the wheelbase between the GT and the soon to be readily available GTS, is Piaggio's attempt to correct a well-known wobble effect on many GT?
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
wetspeed wrote:
John,

I have a set for my GT and a front one for the wife's. I am hoping to have them installed next week.
Coolio! I hope you'll start a new thread about your before-and-after-riding experiences. Inquiring minds really want to know.

Thanks!
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Re: Tank Slap 101
mattgordon wrote:
Tank slap, or "wobble" as it is more appropriately know for the step-thru crowd is inherent, and possible on any 2 wheeler. It is well known in the Harley world as a rather common effect.

From what I've heard, been told, gleaned, etc., it is caused as a result of a not too sweet steering head geometry, which while fixed at the angle it is manufactured at (Harleys being set at a particularly vulnerable angle, hence their tendency for "tank-slappers) that angle is dynamic based partially on the weight of the rider, and what the rear suspension is doing to the equation...
Actually, the generic term is "head shake", and Harley Davidson motorcycles are the least prone to the phenomenon.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
Urban legend....
Actually, the generic term is "head shake", and Harley Davidson motorcycles are the least prone to the phenomenon.[/quote]

Another unsolved Urban Legend to chew on !
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
The shallower (less vertical) the steering tube is, the steadier the ride will be. It will also have heavier, slower steering response. Harley's and other cruiser type bike have shallow angles to give that lazy, mellow ride. Sportbikes have steep angles for snappy handling and quick steering response. That's why sportbikes often have steering dampers on them, to control the headshake.
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
More about tank slap, why it happens, and what to do when it does:

http://sportrider.com/ride/RSS/113_0206_rss/
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
You can also use Modern Vespa's search button and come up with this scooter-relevant information: What causes the GT200 shimmy? (Post 838)
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0311s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0023s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]