@vanslam avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa LX150

Addicted
@vanslam avatar
Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Yes it is. (For those who don't have the time and want to get right to the point.)

The Italian company Tucano Urbano offers lap aprons available from Wheelup. The Termoscud is made in China of a somewhat stiff material (more on this later.) The apron is well made and very well designed. They make several models of this apron so be sure to order the one for your scooter.

I ordered my Termoscud from Wheelup's website. They have an English version of there website; but some of it pages (payment processing) are only in Italian. I used Bablefish to translate the text I did not understand. I also had a problem with my order not being processed so I sent them an email and they fixed whatever the issue was within a day.

The apron cost $135 with shipping. Shipping actually cost more than the apron itself. I think the split was 50 euros for the apron and 55 euros for the shipping.

The apron took 3 days to get to me. Within 2 days FedEx called to for customs reasons. Based on readings for other postings at MV I let them know that it was a sample for personal use and not for resale. I also reminded FedEx of how much I was paying for shipping. The FedEx guy chuckled.

FedEx delivered the Apron the next day. It came in a neat Wheelup's package and with instructions, the apron, a storage bag and a padded Tucano Urbano key chain.

The Termoscud is a (fake but warm) fur lined, wind and waterproof lap apron. It is a well thought design that has: inflatable tubes on each side to prevent flapping at speed, an ignition access flap, anti theft lock ring, pull-out chest bib, a waterproof seat cover extension, built in reflector strips and straps with color match stitching by function and a built in pouch for maps or gloves. In addition, the lap apron can be rolled and secured to the leg shield with the use of straps attached to the front underside of the apron.

Installing the apron is a pretty easy process. I found the instructions that came with the apron to be very helpful. They come in about six languages. All of the straps and clips are well-labeled. The whole install process of takes less than 20 minutes.

With the apron mounted I first found myself sliding underneath the apron to mount your scooter. This has to do with the fit and stiffness of the material of the apron. After a couple of days I started to push the apron forward when mounting the scooter.

My knees under the apron feel some what confined. I have found this to be the result of the fit on front of the apron. I find my legs upward movement being somewhat restricted. However the apron in no way interferes with me stopping and putting my legs down on the ground.

Based on my recent riding tests, with temperatures ranging from the low 60's all the way down to the mid teens (yup I said mid teens) the lap apron offers great wind protection and keeps the me warm. However, I do notice some wind chill around the back of my calves but it was not anywhere near what it could be without the apron. Also, the sides of my thighs do get cold; but this is solved my using the side strips (they pull the sides of the apron closer to your thighs) you sit on these. The bib portion also had a strap that wraps around you neck to keep it from falling forward on your lap and not protecting your chest. I haven't used this yet since the wind does a good job of keeping it up for me.

So in conclusion the apron does work. It keeps me much warmer and more comfortable on my 20 min. (each way) daily commute which I am very happy about. On my longer rides its well worth its weight in gold. Which is a good thing considering how much I paid for it with shipping. I no longer suffer from frozen thigh syndrome. Now if I could only do the same for my hands.

In writing this review I used some insights from other riders and sites. Any profit made form this review will be shared, yeah right.
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
I love mine as well. It really does make a difference especially on a GT or GTS where you get some heat from the radiators.

Just a note about availability. You may want to check with some local dealers as many do carry the Tucano Urbano line.

Thanks for the review Vanslam.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
I've yet to hear a negative review from anyone who has used a lap apron or skirt. These are functional products. They work.
@jhangii avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX 150

Hooked
@jhangii avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
Mine just arrived today, and is sitting on my desk right now! I was very pleased to find instructions in English were included (as opposed to the windscreen I bought!). Temps during my morning commute have been hovering between the upper-30s-low-40s F, and traveling at 45 mph, my work khakis have offered my lower half zero protection from that mean old wind.
Can't wait to get home, and install it!!! Come on, 5:00 PM!!!
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
Moved to Review forum 8)
@bjmedd avatar
UTC

Addicted
LX150

Addicted
@bjmedd avatar
LX150
UTC quote
Cool! Thanks for the review...I hope Owen appreciates the one I bought him for Christmas...(he rides unless there is snow or ice on the roads or below zero). Me? I'm a fairweather rider...55 degrees and above baby....
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
@platinum_ghost avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS >past> Vespa P200E / Suzuki Savage

Hooked
@platinum_ghost avatar
Vespa GTS >past> Vespa P200E / Suzuki Savage
UTC quote
I know it's warm in most places now, but I got the Termoscud today. It FAR exceeded my expectations in everyway. It's like they thought of everything! It oozes quality, and I didn't think it came with a pump, but lo and behold, a pump is included. I could never regret this purchase.
@kuni avatar
UTC

VESPA LX 125

@kuni avatar
VESPA LX 125
UTC quote
exactly worth it.
I've got this thermoscud last month and it does her job really good.
I'm a Japanese man and this shiny skirt is getting more popular item these days here in Tokyo(especially among the automatic Vespa riders...)

My thermoscud type is "R013".(fits perfectly for Vespa PX series)

it's not the type that tucano arbano says fits to LX but at this moment, I'm feeling no probrems at all.

But "small carabiner" was needed to fix the under side of thermoscud when I installed it.

I've got this one about US$100 in Japan.

how's the prices in US?? I'm just curious.

thanks.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Hello, Kuni-- Welcome to Modern Vespa! Nice scooter; great-looking checkered mud flap-- 8)

I've also got a Termoscud, which I've had for about a year now. I love it. A group of us ordered them from Italy from www.wheelup.it to share the shipping costs. With the import tax that was added, I probably paid close to $US 100, maybe a little less. Still a reasonable price.

Nice to have you join us on MV. Tell us more about the scooter scene in Japan, and feel free to post more photos in our Gallery!

--Deborah
@kuni avatar
UTC

VESPA LX 125

@kuni avatar
VESPA LX 125
UTC quote
thank you!
Hi, pdxvespa!!

thank you for reply and good to hear that you shared the shipping fee with friends.

it seems there's no big pricing differences between Japan and US.

but I figured out from checking the sites in US that malossi products and products like cuppini or FACO is sold cheeper in Japan than US.

alright, I'm a rookie here and I'm gonna report MV's scene in japan though you guys are not interested in or not... if I have a chance, I'll do that. thank you!
meetings in Tokyo last weekend.
meetings in Tokyo last weekend.
@scooterjenn avatar
UTC

Hooked
'00 Scarabeo 150, '00 SV650 and '00 R1100S

Hooked
@scooterjenn avatar
UTC quote
I just got a hold of a "thermoscud-type" product. I say that because I think calling it a "scooter skirt" means that it goes on the person and then to the bike, right? I mean instead of 1st actually attatching to the bike, then "wrapping around" the person.
Anyway, I have to figure out how to put it on.

It's from the company www.bagster.com

( Hey, JP, see you Wednesday)
@brouhaha avatar
UTC

Addicted
et4 and px150

Addicted
@brouhaha avatar
et4 and px150
UTC quote
scooterjenn wrote:
I just got a hold of a "thermoscud-type" product. I say that because I think calling it a "scooter skirt" means that it goes on the person and then to the bike, right? I mean instead of 1st actually attatching to the bike, then "wrapping around" the person.
Anyway, I have to figure out how to put it on.

It's from the company www.bagster.com

( Hey, JP, see you Wednesday)
Yep, will bring!

While we're on the subject, has anyone actually compared the termoscud head to head with Reuben's Scooter Skirt in terms of protection? I own the latter and it does the job by and large... plus I like not having something attached to my scooter that could get stolen in the big city. I wonder if the difference is worth the extra $$$ and trouble. Thoughts?
@scooterjenn avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@scooterjenn avatar
UTC quote
IT works great!!! I think I've just extended my riding season.

Everyone go to www.bagster.com to grab one. The price is right, about $110 I think.
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
scooterjenn wrote:
IT works great!!! I think I've just extended my riding season.

Everyone go to www.bagster.com to grab one. The price is right, about $110 I think.
Jenn you got it a bit late! My Termoscud came off weeks ago Laughing emoticon You are right though in that it does extend your riding season. I road all winter being toasty warm with mine.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@scooterjenn avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@scooterjenn avatar
UTC quote
I got it, used it once and now it's hanging in the garage. It'll surely come out on the next below 40 day.
UTC

Hooked
Vespa ET4 2005

Hooked
Vespa ET4 2005
UTC quote
Oh, I highly recommend the Thermoscud. It's allowed me to extend my riding the ET4 well in 6-7 months straight, despite not having spring or fall.

For those who don't like the bulk of winter motorcycle gloves, the handle-warmers, while looking are, are soooo functional and warm that I really don't care about the look.
@clayuk avatar
UTC

ET4

@clayuk avatar
ET4
UTC quote
I bought one last weekend in London. We are having the worst summer ever in the UK it has been raining all month. Its been great my jeans are now dry and toasty. Maybe we might get one day of sunshine this year and I will have to take it off. 8)
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
Vespa ET2-50

Lurker
Vespa ET2-50
UTC quote
where can I get a Tucano Urbano for my ET2-50?
If anyone could post a URL for a good place to get one, that would be great.

The ones from England are like 90L + shipping, which will put it well over $200, which seems excessive...

The place in Italy no longer has them on its web site.

Thanks
Alex
@elgato avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTS

Hooked
@elgato avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Re: where can I get a Tucano Urbano for my ET2-50?
l3xical wrote:

The ones from England are like 90L + shipping, which will put it well over $200, which seems excessive...

Thanks
Alex
Yes please. I want one. Or something like it.
@mikebrooks avatar
UTC

2001 Cobalt Blue ET4. 2005 Blue Stella, 2003 Red ET2, 2003 Yamaha Vino 50

@mikebrooks avatar
2001 Cobalt Blue ET4. 2005 Blue Stella, 2003 Red ET2, 2003 Yamaha Vino 50
UTC quote
Re: where can I get a Tucano Urbano for my ET2-50?
l3xical wrote:

Thanks
Alex
Here is the link:

http://www.wheelup.it/

In the upper right hand corner, click on the UK flag for English. Look in the left column for "Tucano Urbano" and then "Leg Covers". They ship everywhere, and are great!
@goofy_foot avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 GTS 300 and some motorcycles

Hooked
@goofy_foot avatar
2010 GTS 300 and some motorcycles
UTC quote
Has anyone seen the lap aprons made by Vespa? How do those compare to these Tucano Urbano ones?

And there has got to be someone in the states importing these Tucano Urbano ones. With the current exchange rate, buying in euros is going to suck.
@elgato avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTS

Hooked
@elgato avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
goofy_foot wrote:
Has anyone seen the lap aprons made by Vespa? How do those compare to these Tucano Urbano ones?

And there has got to be someone in the states importing these Tucano Urbano ones. With the current exchange rate, buying in euros is going to suck.
Unless I wasn't doing the math right, a termoscud will cost about $200, maybe more. ouch.
UTC

Lurker
series

Lurker
series
UTC quote
sell leg cover at good price
Dear Sir,
We are now very glad to introduce our production for you: all kinds of scooter leg cover and dust cover.We are manufacturter and located in in Jiangmen City, motorcycle manufacturing center in China. We expert in exporting these products to many countries especially in Europe,Africa. we offer you very competitive price depending on different material and standard.The price range for scooter leg cover is as follows:FOB JIANGMEN USD14.6-18.

For further informations about our company or products, please visit our website at: www.rainbow-dustcover.com , and you are welcome at any time to come to china and visit our factory.
Look forward to your reply.
B.R.
Sales manager:Tanis
Rainbow plastic products Co.,Ltd
Add:No.111,No.13,YuDe Street,Jiangmen, Guangdong, China.
International Dept.
Tel: 0086-750-3907761
Fax:0086-750-3907761
Mobile:0086-13267655880
Post Code:529000
Email: tanis2008@gmail.com
@morvran avatar
UTC

Addicted
2008 GTSie and 1986 T5

Addicted
@morvran avatar
2008 GTSie and 1986 T5
UTC quote
I'm having a heck of a time finding instructions for putting one on my lx125 (same as 150). Anyone have a link to them or can walk me through it?
@dessita avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Shirley Mary the White Vespa ET2 2001; Velma, the Red Vespa LX125 2008

Molto Verboso
@dessita avatar
UTC quote
THERMOSCUD
I'm very interested in one of these, but they cost a mint in the UK, I can't understand why, but it's a right rip off.

In places like www.scooteremporium.com they have the nerve to charge £90 for them... and they don't even stock them for ET2's.

The Italian website is stocking them still:
www.wheelup.it
They are 60 euro, which is a right bargain... Postage is pretty dear - 45euro for Europe, which comes down to 105 euro, still cheaper in Pound if you convert it... but then the hassle of international postage and so on.

For any other ET2 riders, the Thermoscud model for this Vespa is R151.

I've seen the Tucano covers in funky animal prints, they were wicked, but it looks like they were limited edition. A right shame, I'd love a bit of colour or pattern on my white/black girl.

Any more info on this is appreciated. I also wonder what the difference between the Tucano one and the Vespa branded one is.
The Vespa one is always on eBay.co.uk for about £50

Cheers,
Dessa
@teller avatar
UTC

Vespa GTS 250

@teller avatar
Vespa GTS 250
UTC quote
goofy_foot wrote:
I have the Vespa lap apron (or whatever it's called in English) but I don't have experience with Tucano Urbano one myself. Still, reading the review here it seems that apart from one major difference they are very similar (that means excellent).

One major advantage of Vespa apron is the way it fastens to your scooter. Essentially it has magnets in it's lining so it just sticks to the metal panels of the your scooter. With a little practice putting it on and taking it off takes about a minute. I simply love this.

Otherwise it's the same - quite stiff, lined with some fur-like thing, reflective strips on the sides, ignition key opening + rubbery piece that you can use to fasten the whole thing around your body. Very handy.

Seems to have the same limitations too - a bit more wind and chill around the calves and on the side of the thighs. And depending on the wind the sides sometimes start flapping a bit.

I like mine _a lot_ and would recommend anyone riding in colder temperatures to get it.

Teller
⬆️    About 4 months elapsed    ⬇️
@dessita avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@dessita avatar
UTC quote
I never added to this, but I bought my Thermoscud in early December and I love it, worth every penny!

what I love the most about it is the fact that I no longer wear the dreadful "waterproof trousers", hurray!

even my "non-water-proof shoes" have a day out when it rains now too.

it's so practical just tucking yourself under there and your legs and feet are dry and covered. So much warmer too, just really blocks the wind.

when you put your foot down it may drip a bit on your shoe, but it's minor..
and after a long stormy ride you may find a "pond" on your lap, so be careful when lifting it to come off the bike as you may pour all that water on your "up-to-now" dry shoes..

also a dry seat in the morning, I love the extendable seat cover

and I ride with the "bib" up, I buckle it around my neck as you are meant to and I find it nice and warm on my chest too

I also sit on the straps so the sides of my legs get extra protection, but when it's rained a lot prior to you sitting on the bike, the straps are wet and you're left with two wet strips marks on your arse, so don't sit on it if it was wet... grrr

here's a pic of Shirley in her winter coat.

take care guys!!! x
⬆️    About 6 months elapsed    ⬇️
@2011super avatar
UTC

Banned
2021 GTS 300 Touring

Banned
@2011super avatar
2021 GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
I better start looking around in the garage and look at putting this thing back on around November or December. It really does allow you to ride year round here in southern California.
@dessita avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@dessita avatar
UTC quote
I resisted asking this last week - how long will you wait until you put yours back on?
I'm still believing there'll be more sunny warm days ahead so still reluctant to admit summer is gone and put mine back on..... but when it rains I really miss it
@major_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GT200

Hooked
@major_tom avatar
2007 GT200
UTC quote
Lap apron
I would like to know where I can buy one in Canada that isn't going to cost me $200.00.
@kimpossible avatar
UTC

Addicted
Tethys - 2012 GTS 300

Addicted
@kimpossible avatar
Tethys - 2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
Re: Lap apron
Major Tom wrote:
I would like to know where I can buy one in Canada that isn't going to cost me $200.00.
ditto for here in the US too.
@ransom avatar
UTC

05 BV200

@ransom avatar
05 BV200
@major_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GT200

Hooked
@major_tom avatar
2007 GT200
UTC quote
Lap apron
Terrific price if you have a Beverly/BV 125, 200, 250, 500. I don't know if it would fit others.
UTC

Lurker
GTS 300ie

Lurker
GTS 300ie
UTC quote
Query
Hi just started using mine and ordered it for 105 euros from wheelup.

Just a few questions....

Isn't putting the cord around the back of your neck a bit dangerous if you come off? (Not that I am intending to)

I am presuming people put the chest bib under jackets, do you have to wait whilst seated on the bike to actaully do your jacket up? Mine is quite close fitting.

Otherwise yes i is certainly warmer on my legs and so far in one minor London downpour I haven't got my bum too damp.

Cheers.
UTC

Lurker
Dragon Red 250 GTS

Lurker
Dragon Red 250 GTS
UTC quote
tucano termoscud lap blanket
My ET4 termoscud had plastic clips to secure the bib. My newer GTS lap blanket has Velcro on the strap that holds the clip. I strongly recommend that you not use the bib strap clips and replace them with Velcro on the fabric. The GTS model clip is very hard to pull apart, and the ET4 one will break your neck if the bike goes one way and you another. You have to glue the velcro on, but it works perfectly.
I've ridden 15K miles in the DC area, almost all in the city, and ride year round, street conditions permitting, with the Termoscud, the Manipoli (hippohands), and last year, grip warmers. You still need good gloves and footgear, but I'm riding almost year round.
UTC

SH 300

SH 300
UTC quote
Brilliant
I have a TERMOSCUD on my MP3 and it's brilliant.

In Engalnd we usually get 1 dry day with sun every 5 years (Hmm I may be exaggerating a bit) and it rains every day (I just can't help it).

But seriously - I trawl up and down our motorways (interstates) right through the winter on the coldest of days (ice around) and wettest and blackest of nights - I ask myself why not take the train and when I do I realise why !

Back to the point, it really keeps the chill off on those frosty mornings and when raining I stay bone dry - it has a flap which covers right up to your chest with velcro quick release straps which go around your neck.

I have even been caughht out without my waterproof trousers and had a barely a wet spot.

I am or was a well seasoned motorclist doing 17,000 miles per year and to have one of these is sheer bliss - why did I ride a bike all these year ?
@the_mocker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 Orange S150

Ossessionato
@the_mocker avatar
2010 Orange S150
UTC quote
I just ordered one from scootercrazy.com (UK). 125 pounds, includes shipping
should arrive in about a week. I can't wait, I'll be riding year round!
@the_mocker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 Orange S150

Ossessionato
@the_mocker avatar
2010 Orange S150
UTC quote
Got it ! Easy to mount & sooo comfy & warm, I love it!! It also looks good on my black LX150. Worth every penny.
@liz avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@liz avatar
UTC quote
The Mocker wrote:
Got it ! Easy to mount & sooo comfy & warm, I love it!! It also looks good on my black LX150. Worth every penny.
Hi,
How does the thermoscud attach to the front of the scoot?
Thanks
@jolly_roger avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
07 FLY 190 09 Kaw 500

Enthusiast
@jolly_roger avatar
07 FLY 190 09 Kaw 500
UTC quote
Hi,
How does the thermoscud attach to the front of the scoot?
Thanks[/quote]

Hi Liz this how mine mounts on front, also @ bottom of front are straps on each side. Pull these straps under frame till tight makes side fit sung with scooter. Hope this helps. Roger
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0705s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0453s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]