OP
@ralfie avatar
UTC

Vespa GTS 250 i.e.

@ralfie avatar
Vespa GTS 250 i.e.
UTC quote
I have a 1985 Honda Elite CH250 that is an excellent scooter (except it is getting more difficult to find replacement parts for) and am going to upgrade to a Vespa GTS250 when it becomes available in my area, thus the problem.

I have visited my local Kansas City Vespa dealer three times in the last five months to inquire about the GTS 250 (various questions and possible delivery dates, etc.) and have encountered complete apathy from the staff there.

I have made it clear to the 25-30 year old oriental gal salesperson that I want to purchase a GTS250 when available and she makes me feel that I am a bother to talk to. There is also a guy there who I assume is the owner and he has not spoken a word to me in my three trips there.

I am now starting to look for another dealer in my area to purchase a new GTS 250 i.e. (by the way, what does i.e. signify?)
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
i.e. is short for id est, which translates into that is.
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
My dealer
Vespa Seattle new I was serious when I gave them a $500.00 deposit on a GT250.....that should be here anytime.
They have a nice shop and are very friendly and a fun place to visit.

Just thought I'd throw in a positive dealer experience!
@bill_of_ojai avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300 Super

Hooked
@bill_of_ojai avatar
GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Scooter Bobby at Moto Paradiso in Santa Barbara, CA is the best!
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
Here you go

Maneuvers Reverse Route
Distance Maps
1: Start out going EAST on E 12TH ST toward LOCUST ST. 0.2 miles Map

2: Turn RIGHT onto CHARLOTTE ST. <0.1 miles Map

3: Merge onto I-70 E via the ramp on the LEFT. 229.6 miles Map

4: Merge onto I-270 N via EXIT 232 toward CHICAGO. 30.9 miles Map

5: I-270 N becomes I-70 E. 389.4 miles Map

6: Merge onto I-270 N via EXIT 93B toward CLEVELAND. 17.5 miles Map

7: Merge onto I-71 N via EXIT 26B toward CLEVELAND. 101.5 miles Map

8: Merge onto I-271 N via EXIT 220 toward ERIE PA. 27.2 miles Map

9: Take the US-422 E / MILES RD exit- EXIT 27A-B- toward SOLON. 0.1 miles Map

10: Take the MILES RD exit- EXIT 27B- toward BEDFORD HTS / NORTH RANDALL. 0.4 miles Map

11: Turn RIGHT onto MILES RD. <0.1 miles Map

12: End at 24771 Miles Rd
Cleveland, OH 44128-5469, US Map

Total Est. Time: 12 hours, 26 minutes Total Est. Distance: 797.43 miles
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
In constant state of flux...

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
Total Est. Time: 12 hours, 26 minutes Total Est. Distance: 797.43 miles
Ha ha. Now THAT'S a dealer! Laughing emoticon

Unfortunately, until Vespa dealers are as ubiquitous as Honda, Toyota, or Ford dealerships -- hell, I'd be happy if they were as common as Audi or Benz dealerships -- than you/we are stuck with what we've got unless we find it in ourselves to drive the extra miles to another dealer.
OP
@ralfie avatar
UTC

Vespa GTS 250 i.e.

@ralfie avatar
Vespa GTS 250 i.e.
UTC quote
Larry, Thanks for the humorous reply (you are probably serious and I will consider the trip). I have a 4' X 8' open trailer that I take my Honda south to Texas on in the winter for a week or two(yes, I'm retired). How many $100 bills would I need to bring with me to load up a red GTS 250 with windshield and top trunk, including everything (taxes, prep, etc.).
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
You're about 600 miles from Denver. Why not give Erico Motorsports a call? They are one iof the biggest Vespa dealers in the US and are great to deal with.

ericomotorsports dot com

Give 'em a call & tell 'em what you want and you'll get helped. I dunno about shipping, but I'm sure they'd love to speak with you about it.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
By the way the "ie" designation in the name GTS250ie represents the Italian term for "electronic injection" which is Iniezone Elettronica
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Bzzz wrote:
By the way the "ie" designation in the name GTS250ie represents the Italian term for "electronic injection" which is Iniezone Elettronica
Too funny! He asked for the definition of "i.e." not "ie". I took him literally, not realizing the error. Laughing emoticon
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
Is there a difference in price between the GTS250ie and the GTS250i.e.?
@vespagt avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@vespagt avatar
UTC quote
the two (.)s are extra. donchaknow?
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Laughing emoticon
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
Ralfie,

e-mail me at
larry@vespaohio.com

and we'll see what we can do.

-larry
OP
@ralfie avatar
UTC

Vespa GTS 250 i.e.

@ralfie avatar
Vespa GTS 250 i.e.
UTC quote
ie or i.e.
Actually the VespaUSA site calls their scooter GTS 250 i.e. not that it makes any difference I guess.
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 150

Hooked
Vespa LX 150
UTC quote
Re: Kansas City Vespa dealer apathy.
ralfie wrote:
25-30 year old oriental gal salesperson
Psst... the term is Asian. Rugs are Oriental. People are Asian.
OP
@ralfie avatar
UTC

Vespa GTS 250 i.e.

@ralfie avatar
Vespa GTS 250 i.e.
UTC quote
My Random House dictionary of the English language lists five derivitive meanings of the word oriental. #5 (usually capitalized) a native or inhabitant of the Orient, esp. one belonging to a native race.

I apoligize to you if you were offended in any way. (I ain't too smart).

I used the word oriential for the simple reason that, if the owners, if perhaps usually off site of the Kansas City Vespa dealership would happen to see or hear of my "post" they would "wake up" and talk to their salespeople (specificially the Oriental or Asian saleslady that I had conversation with) about treating their potential customers with respect and not be crying down the road "poor us, We had to sell or close down because we didn't get many customers.
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 150

Hooked
Vespa LX 150
UTC quote
ralfie wrote:
My Random House dictionary of the English language lists five derivitive meanings of the word oriental. #5 (usually capitalized) a native or inhabitant of the Orient, esp. one belonging to a native race.
One doesn't normally refer to those of European ancestry as an Occidental, though it is a definition in Merriam-Webster's dictionary.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
Ralfie, talk to Jason, the service guy. He is pretty helpful. I don't know the other folks that work there. Vespa KC was recently sold to a company called Van Wall, which is an outfit from Iowa or Nebraska that has a bunch of locations, including one in Olathe. They mainly sell tractors and ATVs, but they have Victory motorcycles, from Polaris.

Go talk to Jason, he should be able to help you.

Also, once you get your GTS250ie, you need to bring it on a Mad Totos ride so we can all ogle it. www.madtoto.com
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
now let this be clear! this is not meant to offend anyone.
this is how my (asian) friend Jen intruduces herself (situation permitting):

"My name is Jen, but you can call me Rug, I'm oriental and easy to lay"

well, she's asian, and many have tried, few have succeeded.

a swing and a miss!! I'm 0 for 1

-larry
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Since this has gotten side-tracked on ethnic terminology....

Let's not get ugly, but have a civil discussion. Jon, I'm assuming that you're Asian-American by your avatar and ruffled feathers over the "oriental" comment, no? Why do people with Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Viet Namese, Phillipino, etc. heritage are called Asian-American; those with Zimbabwe, Nigerian, etc. heritage are African-American; Mexican, Columbian, Nicaraguan, etc.heritage are Hispanic/Latino-American; Iranian, Pakistani, Saudi Arabians are Middle Eastern-American; but those of us with Polish, German, French heritage are plain old white? :?

I'm feeling slighted, man.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
I never call myself white. Even though I'm from a pale skinned family of redheads, I never call myself white. I'm really more of a beige or something. Just call yourself European-American. It's what I do most of the time.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Re: ie or i.e.
ralfie wrote:
Actually the VespaUSA site calls their scooter GTS 250 i.e. not that it makes any difference I guess.
Okay then ralfie, my bad. My only intent was to answer your question, r.e. i.e. I didn't recognize it as anything other than i.e. Is the scooter badged with the periods? Anyhow, who cares right?
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
I'm feelin' kind of sorry for Kansas City. Crying or Very sad emoticon On the one hand they are fortunate enough to have a Vespa bo-tique, but on the other hand it sounds like the people who own and run it just have a job and aren't really Vespa fanatics.

I'm a lucky guy I guess. I'm relatively close to 2 Vespa dealers (70mi & 50mi). Washington, DC and Charlottesville, VA, and both have people who own, sell and maintain Vespas with a passion.

And then we have Larry, Bobby, Greasy, Munny and others here who I'd much rather give my business too because they carry the flag proud and high.
...........................................................................................................

Word of the day: Pejorative
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
wow, jerry you'd still give me business even though i'm a mean and nasty drunken potato eating irish lout.
i think you just made my day.

btw, to everybody else waxing on about definitions and cultures, et al.

stop it now before somebody puts an eye out!

best,
-greasy
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
I feel lucky with our Boo-Teek, too. It's run by Italians that immigrated here. Someday, one of the daughters will help us plan a trip to Italy. One of the sons will hook us up with his Father-In-Law, who works at Piaggio for a tour.
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 150

Hooked
Vespa LX 150
UTC quote
mongoose wrote:
Let's not get ugly, but have a civil discussion. Jon, I'm assuming that you're Asian-American by your avatar and ruffled feathers over the "oriental" comment, no? Why do people with Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Viet Namese, Phillipino, etc. heritage are called Asian-American; those with Zimbabwe, Nigerian, etc. heritage are African-American; Mexican, Columbian, Nicaraguan, etc.heritage are Hispanic/Latino-American; Iranian, Pakistani, Saudi Arabians are Middle Eastern-American; but those of us with Polish, German, French heritage are plain old white? :?
The dominant, founding culture in America is a Western one, descended from Europe. Of course it's not exactly a European culture, but one shaped by more than five hundred years of history, which is why we call it an "American" culture.

Some of the more recent immigrants from Asia or Africa or wherever have brought with them their own culture, but in the great melting pot of the U.S. those folks, and especially their first generation children, have created a synthesis between the culture of their country of origin, and the American culture.

In effect, the world I grew up in - an Asian household and an American society, has contributed to shaping me into an "Asian-American" personality that is unique from American culture, and ALSO unique from Asian culture.

I'd be fine calling someone a Polish-American, or French-American, or (if we want to stick with the macro terms) European-American, or whichever they'd prefer being called, especially if those cultural prefixes inform their personalities. I think it's a failure of the language that we don't have a better term for a "white" American, but since English is a European language "white" culture isn't an "other" that can be named - it just is. However, in light of that, I think it's important to stress that vanilla is still a flavor and there should be no reason to feel slighted.

Anyways, I didn't mean to go on that long, but I do enjoy myself a good civil discussion. Since this is waaaaay off-topic from what this board should be about, this is the last thing I'm going to say in this thread. I apologize to everyone for causing such a ruckus. If anyone wants to send me a PM, that's cool. The whole "oriental" thing didn't ruffle my feathers too bad, I just make it a point to correct people whenever they use it.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
JerryG wrote:
I'm feelin' kind of sorry for Kansas City. Crying or Very sad emoticon On the one hand they are fortunate enough to have a Vespa bo-tique, but on the other hand it sounds like the people who own and run it just have a job and aren't really Vespa fanatics.
Actually, their mechanic is a scooter fanatic. He's more into vintage stuff though. I'm hopeful that the new ownership will be able to really get the boutique really hopping. Don't feel too bad for us, we have another great shop in town, and we have some good scooter communities going. Things are gelling here.
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan
UTC quote
Vespastic Jon wrote:
One doesn't normally refer to those of European ancestry as an Occidental, though it is a definition in Merriam-Webster's dictionary.
My youngest brother was occidental. So was my youngest daughter.

Me, I'm a 10th generation American farm boy...

Lots of the tuner car crowd is Asian, and this gets brought up a lot on those boards when a mulleteer comes in and talks shit about his Camaro. Most are cool about it like Jon, but some get truly outraged.

Ralphie. Come and see Larry, even if you don't bring the scoot. It's fun to watch him work and talk at the same time.
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 150

Hooked
Vespa LX 150
UTC quote
Smorris wrote:
My youngest brother was occidental. So was my youngest daughter.

Most are cool about it like Jon, but some get truly outraged.
I almost went to Occidental College in Pasadena, but the school I wanted to (and did) get into more ended up being cheaper. I win both ways.

And I'm glad that I didn't come off as too crazy. I said this to ralphie in a PM, but I thought I'd just repeat it to clarify everything: correcting someone when they say "Oriental" instead of "Asian" or "Asian-American" is the same to me as correcting someone when they spell my name "John" instead of "Jon." I take no offense. Now if you intentionally start using "Oriental" pejoratively or use any of the other more serious derogatory terms, we're going to have issues - just like if, instead of spelling my "Jon" you started calling me "jerkface."
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
I'm a lucky guy I guess. I'm relatively close to 2 Vespa dealers (70mi & 50mi).
If that's lucky, than I must have been the winner of the Vespa dealership lottery with a dealer 27 miles away! Or, maybe I'm more "glass-half-empty" than I thought.

Ethnically, my kid is half Filipino, a quarter Quebecquoi and a quarter English. Or, should you prefer, Filiquebeclish. Either way, he's more Pasadenian than anything else.
@killo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....

Ossessionato
@killo avatar
I have a few scooters....
UTC quote
Vespastic Jon wrote:
I think maybe it wasn't an occident.
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
I was told that in the motor world that i.e meant Fuel Injected
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
I.E.
I.E. injection electronic ? :?

Tim
@robardin avatar
UTC

Hooked
Black '06 Piaggio BV500; Black '05 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Hooked
@robardin avatar
Black '06 Piaggio BV500; Black '05 Vespa GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
btw, to everybody else waxing on about definitions and cultures, et al.

stop it now before somebody puts an eye out!
Oh, I get it... "wax on", and now, "wax off"? Like in "The Karate Kid"?? And of course all Orientals know Karate, don't they, greasy-san??!!

(PS - )
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
4th generation mick...thats me.

Whats an irish 7 course dinner?

(6 pack and a potato)
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
i.e. stands for iniezione elettronica, Italian for electronic injection. Used by various Italian car manufacturers starting in the early 1980s.
UTC

UTC quote
Whats an Irish 7-course dinner?
An Irish 7-course dinner is a six-pack of beer and a potato.
UTC

Banned
1979 P200e, 2002 ET4, Your Mom

Banned
1979 P200e, 2002 ET4, Your Mom
UTC quote
Don't feel sorry for Kansas City. We have at least three scooter clubs, each with their own distinct membership and character. We have a united scene that has rallies, rides and parties. During the riding season there are multiple scootering events, with something to do virtually every week. We have two scooter shops that are extremely supportive of the scene, with owners and staff who are personally involved with both modern and vintage scooters. We have two scooter gurus with large and esoteric collections that are enthusiatic and always have something useful or fun to teach the younger generation. And more.

I know everyone who works at the Vespa boutique in Kansas City. The shop manager and head mechanic is a man who is extremely knowledgable about the machines and very friendly. There are a handful of vintage riders right now who owe their working machines to his expert advice and complete willingness to lend a hand. I am one of those people.

The people at the Vespa shop have bent over backwards to help me out before, and I'm positive that they would do it again, even the "oriental gal" you described as being indifferent. I can assure you that she is indeed a good person who would not throw away the opportunity to make a sale.

[offensive content edited]

Cheers,
Brother Max
Crusaders S.C.
www.crusaderssc.net
⚠️ Last edited by Crusader Max on UTC; edited 1 time
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
[redacted]
⚠️ Last edited by jess on UTC; edited 1 time
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0388s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0030s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]