OP
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
For the past few weeks I have been soaking up the multitude of helmet reviews on-line, esp' on YouTube. I must say it is so bloody brilliant to be able to learn so much about so many products before you buy. However one disconcerting factor is that you may find you know more about a product than the sales assistant you are speaking to. This is a good opportunity to ask for the shop manager or someone who has some in-depth product knowledge.
So I was down to a choice between the Shoei Multitec and the Nolan 103 Air - aka. Trilogy (U.S.)
I decided to leave it another 24 hours and came home to browse MV for reviews from my fellow MVers. Interestingly my search revealed fellow Moderator - Wonder Machine has the Nolan. A well balanced review was exchanged by PM and I set out next day to try both helmets again.
The Shoei is a sensational helmet and feels like $$1 million but the fit and vision factor was a little on the claustrophobic side for me. Plus the Shoe was in the next price bracket up, at over $NZD850 (but felt like it was worth every cent). The Nolan 103 modular had already been crossed off my list due to its heavy weight and 'clunkiness' so I was looking for something exceptional from the N43 Air.
Exceptional is exactly what you get IMO. This helmet is clearly aimed at achieving a truly Open Face experience with a removable Lexan (yeah, that's the plastic they put between you and the bank teller) chin bar that has EU Full Face safety rating.
The result is like wearing a goldfish bowl - the peripheral vision has to be experienced to be believed - and this is something I love in terms of my daily commuting.
Add to this the internal drop-down sun visor - one of the only ones on the market that comes down far enough, and you have a winner.
Other details;
removable, ant-bacterial, washable liner
N-Com fitment available
Supplied with bag, Pin-Lock anti-fog visor, removable external mini peak/visor.
*Note the U.S. version, the Nolan N43 Trilogy has had the top venting mechanism removed to meet DOT standards.

Finally, I opted for the Hi-Viz colour coz I have always been a flouro vest wearer so anything that shouts at cagers is just fine by me.

I have had the Nolan N43 Air for two days so far and I am stoked and my students think the visor is 'wicked' 8)

I'll revive this thread in a few months and let you know how it goes.
Cheers
Boulty
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/nolan-n43/
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC

saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Great review! Thanks.

Just curious whether you experience increased wind noise from all that openness and venting?

[edit: hmmm, I seem to have time-traveled to post this question before the review]
OP
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
UTC quote
Treppenwitz wrote:
Great review! Thanks.

Just curious whether you experience increased wind noise from all that openness and venting?

[edit: hmmm, I seem to have time-traveled to post this question before the review]
Not sure how you got on top unless our illustrious leader is experimenting/innovating with the MV site again

Yeah, noise level seems fine. I do believe the first versions did not have a padded skirt at the base of the rear padding/back of the neck. The latest ones are pretty quiet IMO.
@mikeo avatar
UTC

Addicted
NIU Electric Moped

Addicted
@mikeo avatar
NIU Electric Moped
UTC quote
I'm useless at writing reviews - yours is first-class, thank you.

"Just curious whether you experience increased wind noise from all that openness and venting?"

Yes; it's appreciably more than my N102. However, I bought the Givi Airflow screen for my 'Wing and things have returned to normal.

A little word of warning of something that happened to me: I came over (from Belgium to England) for the Ride To The Wall at the beginning of October.
Having ridden from Birmingham to Dover in torrential rain and then from Calais into Belgium in more rain and darkness I realised I'd got to stop for a break (and a ciggie) as I was very tired - I was only 25 minutes from home but......!
I pulled off into the Services, parked near the exit road, got off, removed chin-piece and put it on my bag which was strapped on the pillion seat.
I kept the helmet on as it was raining.
Having had my cig I got on and rode off, completely forgetting to reattach the chin-guard - it was dark and I was still tired.
As I reached the motorway I though I heard something clatter but it wasn't until I'd travelled a few hundred metres that I realised the guard was missing.
I couldn't go back there and then so resolved to do so the next day - quite by chance I found it at the side of the road, intact, so I was very lucky.

I've stuck a bright sticker at the bottom of the visor on the inside which I can see if the guard's not in place so, hopefully, I won't do it again.
I trust also that no-one else will be as daft as me.
@slomojoe avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200

Addicted
@slomojoe avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
Ah, cool, we can compare notes. I got mine in the mail just a couple weeks ago (Motorrad Air version, from Motoin in Germany, without the VAT altogether still about the same as the Trilogy here). Since it's supposed to be a Xmas gift from the missus I only tried it once, plus I think it's going to be a late spring to early fall helmet for me anyway (see below). Mine did not come with the anti-fog insert, so I paid $25 for one (PITA to get, you have to call the importer) but haven't put it on yet. By the way - do you have instructions for installation and care? I didn't get any.

My first impressions on the helmet are:
- very light compared to my AGV Miglia, and better balanced. Good fit on my head (medium oval), maybe a bit more (too?) roomy on the cheeks then the AGV, but still tight enough.
- The chinguard is very easy to put on and take off without fiddling. It's a bit less convenient than the modular design for a glass-wearer like me, but of course here you have the benefit that you can go guardless.
- I agree with the fantastic peripheral vision, but i was a bit disappointed that the shield feels a bit light and flimsy (but maybe it's because it's so large), and especially that it does not lock at intermediate positions - if you try, it flips closed at the first bump.
- The sunshield works well, covering 80% or so of my field of vision.
-The ventilation is AMAZING. I used it on a day with temp around 60 F (maybe 15-16C or so), and with the vents open I could literally feel the cool air on my scalp. That said, even with the vents closed I think it may be a bit chilly for rides below 50, since lots of air comes in under the shield and around the neck too. So I doubt it's going to work in November or March in Western NY (let alone in full winter, but then I don't ride). It would probably be fine year-round in most other, warmer climates however. For me, since I hate riding in the summer heat, I know this is going to make a big difference.
- As noted, it is a bit noisy. Certainly more than the AGV, probably substantially more than a tight full face, but not too bad really. I would wear earplugs for high speed rides, but that's advisable anyway.
@scooterbeagle avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa ET4, GTS 250ie (thanks to 'Baudler'), Aprilia Scarabeo 500 (again, thanks to 'Baudler''...damn that 'Baudler'), Enfield, BMW f650gs, Guzzi V9

Addicted
@scooterbeagle avatar
Vespa ET4, GTS 250ie (thanks to 'Baudler'), Aprilia Scarabeo 500 (again, thanks to 'Baudler''...damn that 'Baudler'), Enfield, BMW f650gs, Guzzi V9
UTC quote
Boulty wrote:
Treppenwitz wrote:
Great review! Thanks.

Not sure how you got on top unless our illustrious leader is experimenting/innovating with the MV site again
It is because Boulty is Down Under.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Mine should be arriving today. I've been using the regular N43 for the last couple of years and been very pleased with it but I'm doing more highway riding and kind of like the idea of a chin guard but didn't like the way full face & modular helmets blocked my view of guages without bending my head down. I tried one on at the local BMW dealership and found that the fit was good as was the field of vision. So plonked down my money so I'd have it for my ride to Oklahoma next week.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Nice helmet and color! Didn't see it available. We get pooched again on availability! I ran into this one, and even though I don't like bling on helmets this looked great to me.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
louisq wrote:
Nice helmet and color! Didn't see it available. We get pooched again on availability! I ran into this one, and even though I don't like bling on helmets this looked great to me.
You could do something very similar using reflective pin striping. I like putting the reflective stuff on my helmet and I've outlined the topcase with black on black that reflects gold or white (depending on what was availabel when I did each scoot) when hit by headlights. I was riding behind my husband the other day and got to see just how effective the reflective pin stripping was. Made the Givi case really stand out. I get mine from http://www.streetglo.net/streetglo_files/page0019.htm
@knight_train avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)

Ossessionato
@knight_train avatar
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)
UTC quote
Great helmet. Great review. I have the US version with the hi viz (yellow) Motorrad design. It is a really comfortable helmet. The sight lines are great and in my opinion it just looks really cool.

On another note. I just bought the Nolan N20 Traffic "Italy" helmet from a place in the UK. I am so in love with this helmet that I wonder if I need professional help.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Knight Train wrote:
On another note. I just bought the Nolan N20 Traffic "Italy" helmet from a place in the UK. I am so in love with this helmet that I wonder if I need professional help.
I've also got an N30 Italia: External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Which is similar to your N20 but I had to have the graphics on it. I've got way too many helmets, sigh.
OP
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
Knight Train wrote:
I've also got an N30 Italia: External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Which is similar to your N20 but I had to have the graphics on it. I've got way too many helmets, sigh.
...and way too many scooters Wha? emoticon Razz emoticon
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Boulty,

We keep 2 of the scoot at the family place in Colorado (where they are tucked into the garage on their chargers right now, sigh) and there are 3 riders here. So that really means we have one "spare" until I get it sold. Anyone want a Burgman 400?

Fot a chance to take the new n48 Triliogy out for a ride today. There wasn't anywhere near the airflow I was expecting and it was surprisingly quite but I haven't taken it on the freeway yet. After next week's trip I'm sure Ill have a lot more to say about it.
OP
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
Boulty,

We keep 2 of the scoot at the family place in Colorado (where they are tucked into the garage on their chargers right now, sigh) and there are 3 riders here. So that really means we have one "spare" until I get it sold. Anyone want a Burgman 400?

Fot a chance to take the new n48 Triliogy out for a ride today. There wasn't anywhere near the airflow I was expecting and it was surprisingly quite but I haven't taken it on the freeway yet. After next week's trip I'm sure Ill have a lot more to say about it.
Nice. I would love to ride a scoot around Colorado one day. My wife and I plan to visit the States for a tour when the kids have left home (a few years away yet). It has been hot and sunny here all week and the new Nolan has me smiling like the first time I rode my Vespa. I am seriously happy with my purchase so far.

Best

B
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Eagle Riders in Denver rents GTS 250s and Enrico's Motorsports might. In a few years we'll be switching our primary residence to Colorado from Houston. Give a shout when you are ready to tour Colorado and we might be able to join you. My oldest goes off to university next year but got a while before the youngest does.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0229s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0096s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]