OP
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650.
UTC quote
As I approach the pasture, the rocker, the big scooter rally in the sky, I have started thinking about retirement and more specifically what the hell I am going to do with myself after I quit working.

I have always loved tinkering with machines---cars and dune buggy building in my youthful days. How much am I kidding myself that I could learn how to tinker with (fix, repair, restore) new or old scooters? I have done nothing with my LX150 other than check tires, oil, cables. Pretty much the same for cars I have owned for the past 25 years.

Are there places I could learn about these sorts of "enterprises" or should I look towards Wal-Mart greeter school?

thanks,

steve
UTC

Addicted
PX200 for aeons, Lambrettas in "60's",My wife's GTS250 when I'm good.

Addicted
PX200 for aeons, Lambrettas in "60's",My wife's GTS250 when I'm good.
UTC quote
Quite a serious subject actually
Getting close to that myself chum.
Retirement seminars worry a lot about how to avoid going stir crazy.
Cashflow can be relevant.You rarely get major financial rewards for restoring vehicles so it HAS to be a loooove thing .
Wal Mart greeters as you say(interesting that not in NZ) could be valid for a few days a week for pocket money and just having to leave the house.
I myself now have a philosophy of running out of time and would rather ride than repair.
I do have a scooter club and motorcycle club(scooter friendly) to go out Tues/FRi night rides/Sat and Sun rides so the Boss will just looove that .Yeah Right
But its options right?
@bwyn avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 SOLD

Addicted
@bwyn avatar
GTS250 SOLD
UTC quote
The main thing is to do something that you love doing. It's nice if that something brings in a little cash or at least doesn't cost too much to pursue. Soon as My house sells I'll be retired.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
The community college in my area offers programs in automechanics. They do have a motorcycle class. Usually not very expensive and you get a lot of varied experience. Take that, take some classes on automotive electrical, and see if you like it. If you live in an area with a lot of scooters, you might be able to have some fun and make money doing it.
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Prof's Moto's Small Engine Course is pretty good, almost makes me almost understand 2 strokes.

He had a file I downloaded somewhere called
"Prof Moto's Small Engine Course.pdf"

Which I can't put here, it is 1.2 megs zipped, but is a very good 2 stroke guide. Catered towards Briggs, but you learn a lot of engine theory.

Here is his site now:
http://www.motocross.com/motoprof/
@bill_of_ojai avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300 Super

Hooked
@bill_of_ojai avatar
GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Your local Adult Education may have motorcycle/auto repair courses for cheap. To go whole hog, Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Arizona or Florida will teach you how to repair/modify American and Metric bikes. It's a short walk to scooters from there.
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
Bill,

MMI seems like a great program from what I've seen. Could be a fun second career, if it was done on one's own terms.

Len
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0303s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0043s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]