OP
UTC

Enthusiast
Aprilia Mojito Custom (190), Vespa LX 150

Enthusiast
UTC quote
I bought my wife a genuine Vespa chrome kit for her LX 150 and am having some fitment issues with the rear chrome guard and her existing Vespa top case. There doesn't appear to be any way to install both the rear guard and the top case platform.

The top case platform is designed to screw into the grab bar in two places and into the two mounting holes directly above the brake light. The rear guard also attaches to the two mounting holes above the brake light. The problem comes when deciding the order of installation at these two holes: The rear guard cannot be installed on top of the top case platform due to interference, but if it's installed before, the top case platform shifts up and out preventing it from attaching to the grab bar. I might be able to modify the platform to make it work, but I'm hoping I'm missing something and there's a simple solution to this.

Has anyone installed both the Vespa chrome kit AND the Vespa top case? Any ideas on making this work? Thanks.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
I have, and it was really really difficult. I'm sure some tech here who's done it a million times will have better advice, but in my case it was just a matter of persistence and maybe screwing the screws into the grab bar not quite straight. Not my proudest installation, but you're right, they don't seem to go well together.
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
In constant state of flux...

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
I've walked in on greasy, the Sherman Oaks tech, putting that whole kit on an LX in the middle of the showroom floor. Didn't look like fun, but he might be the another guy to ask.
@larrydj avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS Super 300ie

Hooked
@larrydj avatar
Vespa GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
Hey Earache!

I ended up getting a chrome kit for my wife's ET4. Maybe we should trade stories. I put on the chrome rack that came with the kit, but she wants the top case on instead, so I don't know if I'll run into the same problem. It looked like it would be straight forward...maybe the ET4 is different.

The front leg shield front rack assembly was the part that got me befuddled. It seems to be OK now, but I'm suspicious when I end up with 3 parts left over!

Now we're thinking of lights in front...
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
robotribe wrote:
I've walked in on greasy, the Sherman Oaks tech, putting that whole kit on an LX in the middle of the showroom floor. Didn't look like fun, but he might be the another guy to ask.
lies! all lies!
what ever you've heard, it's not true... well unless it's good.

i keed, i keed.

but yeah, the chrome kit is a real party. i've got to do another today so i'll look into compatability. i remember doing the top case w/ the kit before, and it was kinda involved, but i can't remember the specifics-- and i've slept since then.

btw, i think we're riding to pasadena tonite robo. you should come out and ride. otherwise, i'll see you monday!

best,
-greasy

p.s. i was less than thrilled about that chrome kit because i had to come in on my day off to install it. now who says i don't have commitment-- i'll punch 'em in the face! *grin*
OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Thanks greasy. Any info you can pass on would be great.
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
btw, i think we're riding to pasadena tonite robo. you should come out and ride. otherwise, i'll see you monday!
I take it y'all would be at the pub next to the alley in Old Town? VERY tempting. Now to come up with good excuse with the wife and 2 year old...
Quote:
p.s. i was less than thrilled about that chrome kit because i had to come in on my day off to install it. now who says i don't have commitment-- i'll punch 'em in the face! *grin*
Losing a day off to someone elses "bling" is a crime. See you Monday the 16th for sure -- MLK day.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Well, it's finally on. What a PITA!!! Finally got the rear guard and top case platform on after some filing and brute force. As I was tightening up all the screws and bolts I thought for sure I'd break something... the fit was really tight.

The rear guard turned out to be easier than the front guard and rack. The drilling template that Vespa provided didn't really work out that well. Ended up eyeballing it. Turned out pretty well in the end.

I'm pretty disappointed at the quality of the design. Looks great, but pretty sloppy engineering.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0293s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0024s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]