Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:05 pm

Molto Verboso
NC700XD

Molto Verboso
NC700XD
Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:05 pm linkquote
I added a few tidbits to the trike this weekend... OK so one of the projects took a little longer than this weekend because of other things that kept popping up. Hah, anyway... so I missed my chance to get in on the last set of footpeg brackets by a day or two and I really didn't want to wait till Spring (this thing is cramped!) Sooooooooooo......

And up:

I can stand and jump on these... they're mounted to the frame (the underframe that supports the foot shelves). They're not going anywhere.

The other thing that's been bothering me was that there's a perfectly good shelf to put stuff on in the pet carrier... but it slides all over the place.

Solution?

Velcro:

And all tidied up:

After a brisk little ride... everything is still where it was before I left.

It's amazing what a few simple tweaks can really change a ride for the better.
Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:25 pm

Hooked
mp3 400ie

Hooked
mp3 400ie
Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:25 pm linkquote
pet carrier lol
when I was inspecting my bike before the sale I ran across the no pet sticker in the rear hatch. I said is this someone's idea of a sick joke.
I was floored when I was informed it was real, it's even in the manual!!!
Now my question: is it just the US models that have this insane instructional sticker (product liability) or has everyone gone mad?
By the way great job on the pegs
Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:13 pm

Molto Verboso
NC700XD

Molto Verboso
NC700XD
Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:13 pm linkquote
I'm not sure if it's the US only, but it's definitely one of those bits where it wouldn't be needed if some idiot hadn't tried it... and then the company got worried about liability.

Ya gotta dumb things down for the masses, right?
Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:16 pm

Hooked
MP3 400

Hooked
MP3 400
Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:16 pm linkquote
Exquisite! I for one would be mighty interested in how you mounted the foot pegs!
Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:09 pm

Ossessionato
MP3 500 - GTV250

Ossessionato
MP3 500 - GTV250
Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:09 pm linkquote
There's another shelf at the back of that pet carrier that just crys out for a bar across it to keep things on there.
Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:12 am

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:12 am linkquote
"No Pets" is North America only - and only North America has the space inside invaded on both sides by the Evap Crap mouldings and panel.
Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:31 am

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
Mp3 500
Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:31 am linkquote
It is possible to get velcro across that back area in the 500s petcarrier so as to utilize the space better, but I found it was better to keep my rain gear squished into it and out of the way. It stays there and does not come out when riding. Velcro was a little problematic
Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:07 am

Hooked
Without just now :(

Hooked
Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:07 am linkquote
I would really like to see more detail on how you completed this mod. The foot pegs really look "Factory" So please more detail when you can spare the time.

SORRY. MY QUESTION GOT MASHED INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE QUOTE.
Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:19 am

Molto Verboso
NC700XD

Molto Verboso
NC700XD
Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:19 am linkquote
King wrote:
I would really like to see more detail on how you completed this mod. The foot pegs really look "Factory" So please more detail when you can spare the time.

It was late last night when I posted this. I'll post details with some pics this evening after I get a chance to organize them. The (chilly) ride into work this morning was pretty awesome; being able to stretch out is just great.
Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:27 am

Addicted
'10 Aprilia Mana GT

Addicted
'10 Aprilia Mana GT
Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:27 am linkquote
Re: Rear shelf
An 8x10 piece of plexiglass from Home Depot cut to 7x8 to make a removable wall held by velcro at the bottom and the upper lip behind the seat latch solves the waterfall problem with the rear shelf. Makes a nice 'glove compartment'.
Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:46 am

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:46 am linkquote
I see you cut a hole in the tupperware and placed a grommet of some sort in the hole.
Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:46 am

Bracketmeister
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)

Bracketmeister
Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:46 am linkquote
King wrote:

See Emtwo's post here http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic25307?start=0 about half-way down. Cagedodger and I have exchanged PMs on this and apparently he has his own version of Emtwo's mod.

PROS

Properly done (welded directly to frame or bolted across entire frame), potentially very strong
No bracket to contact ground (flip the peg up and you're ready to go kneesliding around a race course)

CONS

Cutting, welding (at least in Emtwo's case)
Making permanent modifications to bodywork
Time and effort
Fixed-length extension (about the same as a UFP/1 or 60% of the maximum possible on a UFP/LT), but that could be addressed with certain types of offset pegs
Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:49 am

Hooked

Hooked
Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:49 am linkquote
Cagedodger wrote:
King wrote:

It was late last night when I posted this. I'll post details with some pics this evening after I get a chance to organize them. The (chilly) ride into work this morning was pretty awesome; being able to stretch out is just great.
Good on you for still riding. Wish I could, but we are already below freezing most mornings and my commute is 40 kms. I look forward to the pics and post
Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:04 am

Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400

Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400
Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:04 am linkquote
That is a very clean installation.

> There's another shelf at the back of that pet carrier that just crys
> out for a bar across it to keep things on there.

> An 8x10 piece of plexiglass from Home Depot cut to 7x8 to make a
> removable wall held by velcro at the bottom and the upper lip behind
> the seat latch solves the waterfall problem with the rear shelf. Makes
> a nice 'glove compartment'.

I recently posted a template for a plexiglass bulkhead in this thread.
Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:48 am

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:48 am linkquote
Cagedodger, you must name the mod so we know how to refer to it.
I like it.
Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:36 am

Hooked
MP3 400

Hooked
MP3 400
Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:36 am linkquote
mjm50cal wrote:
Cagedodger, you must name the mod so we know how to refer to it.
I like it.
I like it too. Though the mod is quasi destructive where the Tupperware is concerned, I like the low profile aesthetic of it.
Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:28 pm

Molto Verboso
NC700XD

Molto Verboso
NC700XD
Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:28 pm linkquote
Thanks for the kind words, folks.
Gene_Valjean wrote:
I like it too. Though the mod is quasi destructive where the Tupperware is concerned, I like the low profile aesthetic of it.
Hehe, it's not too destructive. I had part numbers on hand for replacement panels should something go horribly awry. Thankfully, it turned out OK so far though.

OK, as promised: Details.

I took inspiration from Emtwo's post, but did some measuring and checking before taking anything apart. Lots of trips to the store and back. I got a set of pegs that mount with a 3/8" bolt and then I found that most coupling nuts will fit neatly inside a piece of 3/4" square cold rolled steal tubing if you grind off one side. I was going to drill and tap a setscrew to secure it as I don't have access to welding equipment, and I'm rusty as hell at it... and I was looking for something more immediate.

Turns out that the threads for the pegs are fine (24 tpi) where as all hardware available locally (without adding shipping) were coarse (16tpi). The coupling nuts were 3" long so that's plenty of material to support the pegs in case anyone wants to go with something closer to Emtwo's version.

Measure, measure, head scratch... measure, oh... measure, OH! The mount for the pegs that I had were 5/8" square exactly. I checked with a local machine shop to see if they had any 5/8" square bar stock and they did. I only needed a scrap of it, and they had scrap. I asked how much I owed, so shrugged and told me to ride safe with a smile. SCORE!

I stripped the Tupperware, did a little more measuring and found that the two parts of the subframe (for lack of better word) were connected together with a 6mmx1.00 bolt. The point where Emtwo's mount is bolted on already has a hole there (slotted, on both sides)... it's almost like Piaggio was going to put these on, but scrapped it at the last minute - weird coincidence. A lucky coincidence was that the angle of the frame that I attached to ended up being the perfect angle for flat pegs. I had some O-ring style round pegs on hand just in case, but I much prefer these flat ones.

I got some longer bolts (40mm) so I could use the thread past the welded on nut to mount the bar to. There's a little bit of an up-curve on the metal between where the slot is and where the foot shelf support frame attaches, so I used 1/4" washers stacked to make it level across the two mount points - this ensures a solid metal on metal contact so that the weight isn't just on the bolts.

You can see the two bolts used to mount the 5/8" bar stock (6 inches long):

Mounts mounted:

A lucky coincidence was that the angle of the frame that I attached to ended up being

More measuring... lots more measuring. The panels are replaceable, but no sense tempting fate, right? More measuring. LOTS of test fitting (this took the most time - all that chin-scratching). When I got as close as I figured I was likely to, I got to the...

POINT OF NO RETURN:

BEYOND THE POINT OF NO RETURN (so far beyond, the picture is blurry):

Let's clean that up, shall we? (1-11/16" OD / 1-3/16" ID rubber grommet)

Then I made a template for the other side!

Reassembly time! Before taking anything apart, I blew up the pictures from the service manuals and printed them on card stock. This made this part cake:

One note on installing this type of mount: The hole for the lower panel had to be larger in order for the bar to go through as the panel is rotated back on the bike and it needed the space above the bar. The front four screws along the footrest panel need to come out as well to allow the panel to flex separately from the panel. This isn't as bad as it sounds, just don't do it when it's REALLY cold to avoid snapping the plastic.

All done, buttoned back up and made for a very pleasant ride to and from work today (aside from being a little chilly). Here's a pic in the daylight to show the open position and approximately where it ends up being. I think this is a near perfect position for my 32" inseam and the rigidity of it allows me to push against it to reposition myself in the seat as I ride.

Also, double bonus: it's cheap. Under $30 including the pegs ($20). If you don't have a bike friendly machine shop, it might cost an extra $10 or so. Fastenal had a 1' stick of 5/8" key-stock for about $6 which might be another option. Having to get metal shipped will easily outstretch the cost of the metal itself, so local is best.
Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:54 pm

Hooked
mp3 400ie

Hooked
mp3 400ie
Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:54 pm linkquote
lucky breaks
Isn't great when things just fall into place, or is it a conbination of luck and skill. I do not care, a job worth doing is a job worth doing well.
Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:09 pm

Hooked
2007 MP3 250

Hooked
2007 MP3 250
Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:09 pm linkquote
Cagedodger wrote:
Then I made a template for the other side!
Please tell us you saved that template or will reproduce it for our benefit.

That looks to be the most difficult (and potentially most costly) part of this mod, given what you've shared.
Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:45 pm

Bracketmeister

Bracketmeister
Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:45 pm linkquote
Couple of comments, good and bad.

First, outstanding effort!

You are not getting as much extension as even a UFP; I have a 30" inseam and have the UFPs set to the lowest position (and still want more, because I am just now at the leg extension that gets my back leaned far enough to start taking weight off my rump on that horrible seat). While your peg position is certainly better than stock (anything would be!), I think if you tried a UFP you'd say either a) I need a UFP! or b) I need a peg with a built-in offset (you'll see some of these discussed in the UFP thread, although you're back to $$$) that will push my feet out a few inches more. Another possibility is something along the line of RamblerDan's "Dogbones," but that's a challenge because you will likely need some dihedral (the extension footpegs have dihedral built-in) and that's getting complicated again (not something you can just buy at a hardware store).

But my main question is, why the mod of a mod? I agree that your design is physically strong; I was nervous when I thought you were tying only to the U-channel but I see now that the U-channel is only one of two anchor points. But still, it is less strong than it could ultimately be. So my question is: why didn't you just run the whole thing right through the frame as a single piece like emtwo, which is not subject to any possible torque or twisting and therefore as strong as it could ever be? Note that I am not saying your design will bend - I know for fact it would if you rely only on the U-channel, but I have no reason to suspect your multi-point anchor will - but why did you switch to an ultimately less rigid design? To put it another way: if somebody is interested in adding pegs by modifying the scooter, should they use your mod or emtwo's, and why?

The biggest question of all, which I have been asking for going on three years now, is: why don't the MP3s simply come with, if not pegs, then at least an anchor point like this from the factory? It would be simplicity itself for Piaggio to add a peg anchor point at the factory.

Nice job indeed, cagedodger.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:53 pm

Molto Verboso
NC700XD

Molto Verboso
NC700XD
Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:53 pm linkquote
I do have the template, but if someone goes this route, I'd strongly suggest making your own template once you have one side done. Since the inner hole is slotted, there's some play to the mount position until you've got your bolts locked down.

As to the position, I've got just enough bend in my knees to be comfortable. The UFP's might very well be more comfortable, but I couldn't wait till Spring, this is my commuter vehicle! There's a lot more adjustability in them.

As to going straight across, as far as I can tell, that's not possible. At least not where I've mounted mine. There's horn brackets and the like in the way. That's one of the first things I looked at when I had it stripped down. The best I could tell, Emtwo's mount only used one bolt (the slotted hole) and left the outer bolt unused. The square tube that he welded the nut onto is only about 5-6" long.

It's not the best shot because I didn't think to focus on the underside of things, but here you can tell that there's stuff in the way of going straight through.
Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:42 pm

Bracketmeister

Bracketmeister
Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:42 pm linkquote
I am having a Twilight Zone moment here. I could have sworn - really sworn - that EmTwo welded two square bars to a round steel rod and ran the whole thing through, securing it to the frame with u-bolts. But checking the thread, he absolutely did exactly as you say. Am I hallucinating? Or was there another thread? If so, it doesn't come up in a search for "pegs" with a title I recognize. I was sure I saw a photo of the bar U-clamped to the frame...

In the meantime, I concede your point and applaud your design!

Now for the big challenge:

As we've seen, there are numerous ways to attach pegs up front. Mine is easier, yours is stronger, RamblerDan's allows different angles, UFO's is good for short riders. But in one of those threads, somebody (might have been EmTwo) suggested running a bar through in the back, at a particular location he found while he had the panels off, to mount a through-tupperwear peg for the passenger. I don't think he ever followed up on that, and while Old As Dirt, mjm50cal, BravoTwoFour, and others have tried completely different approaches I don't believe anyone has taken on the obvious, brute-force method, and so far all of the solutions involving more or less "plug and play" solutions like the UFP have been less than completely satisfactory. What do you think?
Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:30 pm

Molto Verboso
NC700XD

Molto Verboso
NC700XD
Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:30 pm linkquote
Hehe, the grass is always greener. I think it all depends on the rider and his/her preferences. If the rider is happy, then job done! This method isn't one to "just try out" although it can be completely undone in about an hour and whatever the cost of new panels is.

Truth is, I was set on getting some UFP's when I bought the bike; the leg position was the most glaring flaw in the design even on the showroom floor. Then I got it home, got ready to order some up and suddenly the number dropped from six to zero. No problem, I'll wait... till Spring?! That got me thinking, then I started rethinking... and well, here we are. Let's see how I feel about them come Spring, hehe. I will say that I accomplished the "stock" look that I set out after, probably better than I had envision before starting. With that aspect I'm completely satisfied. The foot position I'm also completely satisfied with, but that could just be the thrill of something new.

I think this it the thread you were thinking of. I thought about using that method, but it seemed too close to the wheels and the foot position was higher than I thought would be comfortable. It looks like it was done without removing any plastics, which is a HUGE bonus. Although in truth, the plastic removal isn't bad at all if you keep track of the screws. There are probably a few places where this could be done under the plastic, but drilling holes would be necessary and there's a lot of slop room with U-bolts holding things on at an angle with not much flat surface to surface contact to help stabilize it.

A passenger footrest through bar is tricky... you're right in that area where the back swingarm starts moving. I'll figure the passenger portion out a little later on. I love my wife, but I don't take her with me to work and she's picky about how cold she'll ride with me in. Let's just say, I can wait till Spring to tackle that one. I was thinking of looking for a flip out solution like on the Scarabeo.
Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:53 am

Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400

Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400
Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:53 am linkquote
Seems to me that Cagedodger's method would easily lend itself to the addition of extension bars, like my "dog bones" but smaller. Or if you had access to the right equipment, you could use longer square stock and bend it at a right angle (properly heat-treating the steel, of course), or weld two pieces together, then drill two or three holes for mounting the pegs, just like the UFP bracket. Then you'd still have the advantages of strong anchor points and a clean, factory-looking installation, plus leg position to suit individual taste.
Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:30 am

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
MP3 500
Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:30 am linkquote
Cagedodger,

That is just how I planned on doing mine. Thanks for the posts.
Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:29 pm

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:29 pm linkquote
I was gonna tackle this after the pillion pegs were 100%. I really appreciate the sharing on this one, I'll have more questions later. Love the outcome.
Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:09 pm

Molto Verboso
NC700XD

Molto Verboso
NC700XD
Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:09 pm linkquote
ramblerdan wrote:
Seems to me that Cagedodger's method would easily lend itself to the addition of extension bars, like my "dog bones" but smaller. Or if you had access to the right equipment, you could use longer square stock and bend it at a right angle (properly heat-treating the steel, of course), or weld two pieces together, then drill two or three holes for mounting the pegs, just like the UFP bracket. Then you'd still have the advantages of strong anchor points and a clean, factory-looking installation, plus leg position to suit individual taste.
The bend would have to happen before the plastic, at least in the 500. The lower footrest fairings are two pieces that screw together from the backside and they have to come off as one piece. Bending the metal like a zigzag to jog it down some might work perfectly, but there's very little room left under the plastic. Having the bend outside of the plastic would make reassembly tricky if even possible. A bolt on option would work quite well and I might experiment with that if I can find a clamp that will bolt onto the bars. Actually, I should say that I'll experiment if I want to change the position. I really am happy with this position... again, "new-shiny-thing" mentality not withstanding, this position is super comfy.

A few notes for anyone who wants to give this a go:
I used black sprayable Plastidip (poor man's powder coat and rust preventer) on the bars. This turned out well.
If you can find anti-vibration pegs with a 5/8" mount, let me know; being mounted directly to the subframe you don't get the vibration dampening from the plastics. It's not bad, but it's noticeable. It give a very connected feeling which some folks (like myself) like.
Plan ahead and get grommets that are properly sized. I'm probably going to order a pack of grommets that are made for thicker panels to get a cleaner install, the ones I was able to find locally had a very thin notch for the panel and are meant for 1/16" thickness. I'm going to touch it up with 9600K72 from McMaster-Carr's.
I'd probably be willing to make a PDF of the template if and only if there's a recognition that it should only be used as a guide and not blindly taped and cut. I'm comfortable with the complete and utter calculated destruction of my toys... I'm a tinkerer afterall. You should keep that in mind if giving this a try.

Plus, you'll get this cool "OH SHIT" token to go on your keyring:

Hope that helps.
Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:29 pm

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:29 pm linkquote
Why didn't use a holesaw on the plastic?
Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:09 pm

Molto Verboso
NC700XD

Molto Verboso
NC700XD
Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:09 pm linkquote
mjm50cal wrote:
Why didn't use a holesaw on the plastic?
Three reasons:
I didn't have a hole saw in the right size.
It's a curved surface.
The plastic is painted instead of a dyed uniform colored plastic (hole saws are really mean to thin paint layers).
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed between posts    ⬇️
Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:25 pm

Hooked
MP3 400 LT

Hooked
MP3 400 LT
Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:25 pm linkquote
Outstanding!!!!

I have got to do this mod! It's exactly what I've wanted to do since I bought mine, going to have another read through this thread in the morning.

No offence to the other footpeg mod bu IMO this is much better!

How long does it take to remove the plastics?
Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:59 pm

Molto Verboso
NC700XD

Molto Verboso
NC700XD
Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:59 pm linkquote
enross wrote:
Outstanding!!!!

I have got to do this mod! It's exactly what I've wanted to do since I bought mine, going to have another read through this thread in the morning.

No offence to the other footpeg mod bu IMO this is much better!

How long does it take to remove the plastics?
Thanks for the compliment. Having no experience with the rjeffb's clips, I can't compare the two, but I can tell you that I'm 100% happy with the way these have turned out. The only complaint that I really have is that my feet get cold when it's in the 20's, but they'd still get cold even if they were tucked up on the floorboards. I can also see the draw to the clips though. They should take about 5 minutes to install and they're reversible in the same amount of time. If I want to undo mine, I'll have to buy new plastics or make a plug (plug wouldn't be hard to make at all) plus the hour stripping the fairings off, removing the hardware and redressing.

I think the pegs really helped when I had an Oh Sh!t Moment a while back.

I'm not sure how long it'd take to get the plastics off the 400. I would set aside a day to do it (maybe a weekend since you'd have to do some test fitting and such). The actual removal took maybe 20 minutes after I'd gotten a feel for it and found all the plastic tabs and how to work them out without breaking them. Whatever you do, don't attempt this in the cold. You want the panels to be warm so they don't crack while you're flexing them. Another huge help was blowing up the pictures from the manual and printing them on thick card stock to push the screws through. It made reassembly a lot easier, a lot faster and a lot more sane.

If you give this a go, be sure to take pictures and let us know how it turns out!
⬆️    About 3 years elapsed between posts    ⬇️
Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:24 am

MP3 500

MP3 500
Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:24 am linkquote
what kind of footpegs are you using in all these pictures?
  DoubleGood Vespa Design  

All Content Copyright 2005-2022 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0442s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0227s) ][ Debug on ][ 211 ][ Thing One ]