@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
Yup, it's here...in the garage with the exhaust paint smokin'.

A late pick up, and I've only logged about 8 miles, but it's quick
off the line, and willingly accelerates to???

A quick early observation or two: The tacho is worthless. Besides
being an automatic (so who needs it?) it's hard to read requiring
too much attention with eyes OFF of the road! I'll forget mine is there!

The tank is even harder to fill than the ET-4, and you can't even see down the filler till it's almost too late! Thankfully, the overflow magically drains away to somewhere, but not the exhaust or drive side case!

The trip-meter is way cool, and will get used a lot by me. Fit and finish is way good, and the Sava tires should go a bit farther than Pirellis?

The headlight is awesome....probably the as the GT200, but I'm used to a P200 and an Et-4! Oh there is a sidestand mount (empty) WITH the wiring in place for the mandatory integral kill switch....why no sidestand then in the US?

I'll put some clicks on it this weekend, and see if I can't get that exhaust paint to stop smoking!
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Woohoo! Congratulations, Matt. Happy GTS day.

Do post some pics...
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
Yahoo! Let's go for a ride!

Len
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC quote
man your gts is red
its really RED!!
took a pic just outta the crate, that red is so cool.
congrats matt!
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
Congrats Matt! I know you are stoked, can not wait to read more, Beale.
@kev avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie

Hooked
@kev avatar
Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
Well Done Matt, mines' a Silver and I'm loving it... going to have to watch my speed around town, the acceleration is becoming a bit addictive :?
I like the Trip computer also, so far I've done 100Km on half a tank of fuel (around town), we'll see if the gauge is linear.
I forget my exact total milage, but I think you'll find the the exhaust, or something down below, will be giving off a slight smell for a while yet.
It's getting too cold to to ride here in T.O. right now so no more riding for a while I fear. Which reminds me, the temp display is nice on the GTS also, I like the fact that it flashes around zero degrees celcius.
I guess the rev counter will have it's uses, maybe monitoring tick over speeds, but I agree, it's a little tough to read at speed, whilst keeping observation on the road ahead.
I'm just waiting for some warm weather now, and the chance to eat a Harley at the lights.. lol

Have fun!
⚠️ Last edited by Kev on UTC; edited 1 time
@machineguncharley avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa LX150 (Yellow)

Hooked
UTC quote
How does distribution work?
Hello and Happy New Year! I was wondering if someone could tell me how Vespa distributes its scooters. I, too, am waiting (not so patiently) for a GTS 250 to show up here in Oklahoma. Like a lot of folks, I've been told that they should show up any day. From what I can tell from a few different posts, some have shown up in California and I know that there have been some in Cleveland for about a week. Just wondering where Oklahoma might be in the pecking order.

Thanks,

machineguncharley
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
It depends on a couple of things.

If your Dealer met their goals for 2005.

How many scooters they sold total.

And there are probably population criteria and what not...

-larry
@killo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....

Ossessionato
@killo avatar
UTC quote
Re: How does distribution work?
machineguncharley wrote:
Hello and Happy New Year! I was wondering if someone could tell me how Vespa distributes its scooters. I, too, am waiting (not so patiently) for a GTS 250 to show up here in Oklahoma. Like a lot of folks, I've been told that they should show up any day. From what I can tell from a few different posts, some have shown up in California and I know that there have been some in Cleveland for about a week. Just wondering where Oklahoma might be in the pecking order.

Thanks,

machineguncharley
I went through the same thing while waiting for my GT200 to arrive in 2004. The port of entry was NJ. I'm in NY. Who got them first? Of course, California!!!??? I think there's some preferential treatment of some dealers - rightly or wrongly. In the words of Tom Petty, "The Waiting is the hardest part". Good luck.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
demonlarry and killo...thanks for the quick replies...I was afraid of this...our dealer only picked up the Vespa line in August (I think) of this year. I know they have sold quite a few Vespas, but I wouldn't think that they would have the sales of an established dealer (not to mention the fact that they got started so late in the year). Okay then...I guess I can post a message bragging about my new GTS250 sometime around Memorial Day...
OP
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
GTS update
I've got nearly 50 miles on the GTS now...most of it 2-up! It's powerful, quiet ( A plus to me, but I'm not a kid anymore!) and fun to ride.

There is always ample torque at hand.....even two-up and on a tight, fresh mill. It's only got to get better too! The PDI included (thank you Dave!) a take up of some slack in the throttle cable...and it's off like a rocket instanly.

My pillion tells me its comfy, and the position is good. I could hardly tell I had a passenger!

Will continue to "break it in" this weekend! I'm stoked....
@killo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@killo avatar
UTC quote
Re: GTS update
mattgordon wrote:
The PDI included (thank you Dave!) a take up of some slack in the throttle cable...and it's off like a rocket instanly.
What's a PDI?

The same as a Petey-Eye?
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
I'm Jealous!!
OP
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
Re: GTS update
Killo wrote:
mattgordon wrote:
The PDI included (thank you Dave!) a take up of some slack in the throttle cable...and it's off like a rocket instanly.
What's a PDI?

The same as a Petey-Eye?
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
Pre-Delivery Inspection...or $395.-- to you and I !!
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Well, either Christmas came late or Memorial Day came early...I got my GTS 250 (in silver) this afternoon! I had to skip out on a motorcycle trip out to the lake with my friends because the furnace repair people had to come to the house for a repair. So, having nothing else to do after the repair people left, I thought I'd go by the Vespa dealership to just bum around. As I'm entering the parking lot, a delivery truck is leaving...and I thought "nah, couldn't be" - so I pulled up near the service bay and there it was...still sitting on the base of the shipping crate! Got out, spent a pretty good amount of time admiring it and then scrambled to come to terms with the dealer. About an hour later, I was riding my new scooter home. It really is incredible. I can't wait to put more miles on it tomorrow!
@cindy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Molto Verboso
@cindy avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Wow! Congratulations to both of you!
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
Congrats Machinegun (great name by the way) on the scoot!! Sounds like your timing was perfect, Beale.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Thanks so much for the kind posts Cindy and Beale. I only got about 8 miles on it last night (was late in the day when I got it), but I had some time this afternoon to put about 50 around town miles on it. It is really VERY smooth! I haven't opened it up yet. I'm still waiting to read what break in is (somehow in my rush to pick up the bike, I forgot to check that the owner's manual was in the mix). So, I've been taking it pretty easy...not going over about 45. I guess the first service is at or before 625 (I did manage to get the service book!), which, unless I'm mistaken, is the same for a GT200...I don't know if that's the break in on a LX or not. If memory serves, I think you weren't supposed to take a GT200 over 55 until the first service. From what I read, the engine on the GTS is somewhat different (don't ask me how, I am the original non-mechanically inclined idiot!), so I don't know if there are different break in requirements. At any rate, I guess it will make for some interesting reading tomorrow.
OP
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
Instruction booklet
machineguncharley wrote:
Thanks so much for the kind posts Cindy and Beale. I only got about 8 miles on it last night (was late in the day when I got it), but I had some time this afternoon to put about 50 around town miles on it. It is really VERY smooth! I haven't opened it up yet. I'm still waiting to read what break in is (somehow in my rush to pick up the bike, I forgot to check that the owner's manual was in the mix). So, I've been taking it pretty easy...not going over about 45. I guess the first service is at or before 625 (I did manage to get the service book!), which, unless I'm mistaken, is the same for a GT200...I don't know if that's the break in on a LX or not. If memory serves, I think you weren't supposed to take a GT200 over 55 until the first service. From what I read, the engine on the GTS is somewhat different (don't ask me how, I am the original non-mechanically inclined idiot!), so I don't know if there are different break in requirements. At any rate, I guess it will make for some interesting reading tomorrow.
I was told, and I too did NOT receive a book, that the instruction books weren't printed yet in English...so all I got was the warranty book as well.
Bike IS smooth, fast, and "way good". I'm at 127 mi. now....
@zipmon avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2006 LX50 (Florida), 2007 LX125 (Italy)

Enthusiast
@zipmon avatar
2006 LX50 (Florida), 2007 LX125 (Italy)
UTC quote
congratulations guys, sounds like they're a blast to drive!

you are giving me scooter envy maybe next year
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Matt...Do you mind telling me what you are doing with regard to break in? I'm going to ask the dealer tomorrow, but are you following the GT200 break in guidelines? I was thinking about not exceeding 55 for the first 625 and, of course, trying to vary the speed a bit on the way to that point. If you've got any suggestions, I'd like to hear them. I'd also be curious as to what the dealer told you as to break in. I should have asked the other day, but I was just too damn anxious to drive the thing off the lot! I'm thinking about taking it on a 150 mile trek tomorrow to go visit my mother. I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs out on the open highway.
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC quote
Break in GTS
I pdi'd matts gts, the break in sequence is same as in a gt200, dont max it out, vary the speed if you can ect. when it gets to 625 for 1st service i will do a diagnostic as part of the first service. it will tell me tpi angle, sensor function and mixture. i will also do a fuel intake and exhaust check that is basically to check all fasteners/clamps and unions where a exhaust or intake leak may occur. this can lead to improper performance.
my X9 developed a exhaust leak at the header pipe/muffler section and thinking that it was a simple leak it actually made the scooter run sluggish at hwy speeds. what happened is the coller that seals that area drifted forward due to a loose clamp over time. even trying to retighten the clamp did not fix the problem. I had to pull the assembly apart and reseat the coller in its proper place and then go to pep boys and get a 1.750" muffler clamp since the piaggio clamp stripped out. looks like crap but it works until I get the sleek italian clamp from piaggio. (greasy&sean from voc helped me so a belated thank you to them), Rolf also said it could warp the valves and nobody wants that to happen!
OP
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
break-in
machineguncharley wrote:
Matt...Do you mind telling me what you are doing with regard to break in? I'm going to ask the dealer tomorrow, but are you following the GT200 break in guidelines? I was thinking about not exceeding 55 for the first 625 and, of course, trying to vary the speed a bit on the way to that point. If you've got any suggestions, I'd like to hear them. I'd also be curious as to what the dealer told you as to break in. I should have asked the other day, but I was just too damn anxious to drive the thing off the lot! I'm thinking about taking it on a 150 mile trek tomorrow to go visit my mother. I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs out on the open highway.
I'm a big fan of a careful break-in....slowly accelerating to speed, which is kept at a max of 55-60, varying speeds, and in general driving it gently. The first 100 miles or so are the MOST critical, but honor the initial 600 miles with letting the engine get you to speed, not forcing it, mix the type of driving (roads) you take it on, and check the oil, look for leaks, don't hammer the brakes too hard till they seat.

Remember, the tires need to scuff-in too, at least 200 miles before they adhere properly to the tarmac. Don't lean her over too much for a bit, you're likely to get a surprise!

The better you break them in, the better they'll run with fewer issues...imho. David did a great PDI at Vespa Riverside, and the bike's flawless so far...if I'm nice to it (you know like a woman) at least at first, it'll treat me better in the long haul! Nice scooter that GTS, huh?
@scooterbobby avatar
UTC

Hooked
31 motorcycles..8scooters and a bad -ass Fiat 500

Hooked
@scooterbobby avatar
31 motorcycles..8scooters and a bad -ass Fiat 500
UTC quote
Matt...bug your dearler!! i got owners manuals...enjoy the weather and your scoot..
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Thanks for the input guys...I'll definitely opt for a cautious break in as opposed to the "drive it like you stole it" approach.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
And yes, Matt, the GTS is an incredibly nice scooter!
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC quote
Owners Manual for GTS
I just spoke to Eric Larsen @ Piaggio, I will contact piaggio in NYC, and they will ship out owners manuals to us based on the vin# of each gts. apparantly they were not shipped out inadvertanly and piaggio realizes this. according to Eric, they will send by 2nd day air. Matt I will get you yours to you personally, there is a great argentinian restaurant in temecula i wanna take my fiance to where they walk around with different cuts of meat on spits. this gives me an excuse to go out to temecula. did you de-nipple your floormat? just curious.
dr
OP
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
Re: Owners Manual for GTS
ramrezz425 wrote:
I just spoke to Eric Larsen @ Piaggio, I will contact piaggio in NYC, and they will ship out owners manuals to us based on the vin# of each gts. apparantly they were not shipped out inadvertanly and piaggio realizes this. according to Eric, they will send by 2nd day air. Matt I will get you yours to you personally, there is a great argentinian restaurant in temecula i wanna take my fiance to where they walk around with different cuts of meat on spits. this gives me an excuse to go out to temecula. did you de-nipple your floormat? just curious.
dr
Yes, carefully...gently even I've removed the offending nips!

The Roda Viva Chuscaria restaurant you speak of is quite a feast. All kinds of meat, with a personal stoplight to start/stop the servers! Turn it so the green side is up....here comes meat on swords....turn it red side up, the meat parade stops! Crazy...it's great, but you'll want to fast first, and perhaps afterwards for a few days....I'm still digesting my Father's Day meal from there! It's in Temecula's Promenade Mall.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
We've got something similar in San Francisco called Espetus Churrascaria. You're dead right about needing to fast before and after, too.
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Actually, if you're going to a pig-out, eat as much as you can possibly stuff yourself with for a week. It stretches out your stomach. Then, the day before the planned pig-out, eat very little.

*edit* This, however, is an unhealthy practice.
⚠️ Last edited by Grind on UTC; edited 2 times
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC quote
meat on a sword restuarant
in 1991 I had my stomach stapled(before it was fashionable), so i cant really pig out, but I can sample. which is what I did on my last visit to this restaurant. at 350+lbs there was no way I could have ridden a scooter at that time. I still want to eat there.
@vespagt avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@vespagt avatar
UTC quote
how much of a difference speedwise have you noticed over the gt?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0303s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0050s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]