@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
I haven't ever gone to a rally. I've gone on monthly rides and to special events, but mostly I ride solo.

It seems like the majority of the rally folks are the vintage owners. How many Modern Vespa T&G owners attend? Is there alot of animosity?

Also, alot of rallies start on thursdays and fridays. If you work and can't get there untill saturday, how do you go about registering.

I guess I just need to go to one and I'll know more. It's just that 1st step. There's one in the spring fairly close to me (I can ride there). If someone makes fun of my scooter and makes me cry Crying or Very sad emoticon I'll just call my mommy and have her come get me.

Any first time experiences or helpful info appreciated. Ciao
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
They're going to call your ET4 a girlie scooter. At least, that's what I've been hearing. Laughing emoticon
OP
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
Crying or Very sad emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon Well see if I share my Jiffy Pop or marshmallows with anyone around the campfire then.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Hey Jerry, I didn't mean to bring you down. It's just what I've heard from a couple (yes, exactly two from recent recollection) of boobs and dweebs.

I've since added chest hairs to my ET4's front cowl, and detailed the rear scrotum, I mean rear cowl. Laughing emoticon

I picked-up my 2K5 ET4 after the rally season, in September. I was planning on attending the NYC rally, but it appears to be cancelled this year.
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
go friday after work. noone is gonna make fun of your bike. I've been going to rallies for years, but, noone makes fun of my et4 or samanthas GT...

There is not a lot of animosity between new and vintage riders lately. go there with a good attitude and plenty of beer.

-larry
@killo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....

Ossessionato
@killo avatar
I have a few scooters....
UTC quote
I think the attitude thing goes both ways. I went to the 2004 Gotham Rally. The first day, I rode my GT200. I rode my Lambretta the next. I didn't hear any nasty comments from anyone. I have to say, riding an old Lammy in Manhattan was a very cool experience. It helps that there were about 200 of us.
@dave_in_okc avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'12 Stella 4T, '76 FrankenVespa

Enthusiast
@dave_in_okc avatar
UTC quote
Rally? Just do it.
Jerry:

Nah, don't worry about it, just go check out a rally and have yourself some fun. I would suggest you have a look at the Rally Calendar on scoot.net. It is probably the most comprehensive rally listing. Scoot! Magazine has a good calendar too.

What comes to my mind for you to see is WKRP 2006. Cincinnati, March 31 to April 2. My local club's rally is the same weekend--Sputnik Race for Space 2006 in OKC. However that's 1300 miles from where you are, versus under 500 to WKRP. Eight hours or so to a rally is definitely within reason.

Modern vs. vintage? I wouldn't sweat it. Ride what you've got & don't look back. Across the board, people are just going to be glad you came to check out their rally. Pre-register if you can. It helps you and really helps the organizers. Check out this photo from WKRP 2005--see all the moderns? You'd be fine.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Oh yeah, don't forget Amerivespa 2006, the other rally I'll be working on besides Sputnik. It is July 27-30 in Denver City, Denver. That thing will be HUGE. Worth buying a plane ticket and flying in for it, scoot or no scoot. It will have the Amerivespa vibe, plus the Mile High Mayhem tradition AND the annual Lambretta Rally, Lammy Jammy. That will be a rally to see for yourself.
@machineguncharley avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa LX150 (Yellow)

Hooked
@machineguncharley avatar
2007 Vespa LX150 (Yellow)
UTC quote
Jerry...I've only been to one rally (Sputnik's Race for Space which Dave was talking about). I went last year and it was really a great deal of fun. And I'd have to wholeheartedly agree...I didn't see any evidence of hostility toward new scooters. If anyone ever does give you a problem, just remember...it's about the ride, not WHAT you ride. You'll have a great time.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
The coverage of rally events is spotty. Many get no coverage at all, but are actually pretty big.

Scoot! magazine does a great job, but I noticed that their summary of Denver's Mile High Mayhem event and estimated the number of scooters at about one third of the actual count. Heck, the annual Scoot For Toys in Denver to benefit Ronald McDonald House had almost 100 scooters. MHM consistently had between 200 and 300 attendees.

Amerivespa in Denver this year should be wild if it's organized nearly as well as the MHM events were. And Denver is one of those rare cities where you can actually rent a scooter to ride! Should be insane.
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
Rallies
The only rallies I've been to so far were both motorcycle rallies. I went to the IMOC rally Italian Motorcycle Owners Club and the British Iron . The Italian had Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Aprilia and even a special section for scooters. See Pic below. when I got to the British Iron I was the only scoot there. The girl collecting money at the gate let me in for free. She told me it takes a big man to ride a scoot here. I had no problem, lots of people to talk to and a real good time. This year I plan on going to as many rallies as I can find. I even have a scooter rally 2 miles down the road this year Summer Scoot '06 which is going on the same time The Summer Nationals are going on. It's going to be an Awesome weekend. Come up an check it out. What ever you do get out to some rallies.8)

Tim

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125
UTC quote
Went to Kings Classic last year... great fun and good times. No one gave me shit for my GT... I saw a girl on a Zuma who looked so ridiculously thrilled to be there it was both hilarious and heart warming.

I got flyered for The Big Wet One out here on my Atlantic 500... will be taking the GT. Seems like the GT would be more fun for a rally anyway.
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
the girl on the silver ET about mid picture, is Samantha, my fiancee...

(the ferry WKRP) photo

-larry
@dave_in_okc avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@dave_in_okc avatar
UTC quote
Well I'll be snockered. She sure is! Didn't notice her face in the sea of scoots, but I can definitely see her now. Tell Sam Dave sez hi.
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
and me
on my et4
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
by the way, got the mag, thanks...

i'll tell her you say hello....

Its hard to find a rally east of the mississippi that sam and I aren't in the picture.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
I was at my club's innagural rally, a small, but fun weekend event. I also went to Mile High Mayhem 8 this past summer. It was amazing, and I think Amerivespa 2006 will be just as good.
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
Never been to one would really like to go. Do most take tents and gear, come as you are? Does this matter rally to rally? Hotels /motels, back seat of a car. Been a long time since I slept out in the open (ie passed out).
We had one last spring in NC called Mods vs Rockers. I was on call that weekend or woul have hone. I also know the Freeze your balls off is soon, I think I am on call for that one to. That is my luck, Beale.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
It really depends on the rally you go to. Some rallies are camping rallies, others are city rallies. Either way you should do a little homework to know what to do "when in Rome..."

When I went to Mayhem, I (and some others) had the good fortune of being hosted by Colin Shattuck (aka Decadron). Some people stayed in hotels/motels, others were also given great hospitality by locals. I've not yet had the pleasure of going to a camping rally.
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
I'm not the biggest fan of city rallies...

I'm at EVERY camping rally I can get to...

-larry
[img]http://scoot.net/gallery/pic.html?pic=171975[/img]
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
What kind of rally is AmeriVespa? What goes on? How much beer do I need?
OP
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
mongoose wrote:
What kind of rally is AmeriVespa? What goes on? How much beer do I need?
It's probably like the old travel adage:
"Take twice as much money and half as many clothes as you think you'll need".

Substitute "beer" for "money"

...and stuff to make s'mores!!
@dave_in_okc avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@dave_in_okc avatar
UTC quote
Mongoose:

Have a look at the Amerivespa 2005 website. This link will take you to the full event website for the Cleveland rally in '05, including the detailed agenda, registration info, sponsors, etc. There is also a link to earlier Amerivespa rallies.

Notice that the HUGE generosity of our Modern Vespa mate, Demon Larry, allowed us to give away 3, yes 3, new scooters at the Cleveland rally. A PX200E Serie America, an ET2 and and LT50. Not too shabby, folks.

This year's rally will be a big one too. Lammy Jammy (the Lambretta Jamboree national rally) will be going on at the same time in Denver. We will do some of the events together. The two rallies are not being merged, but we are definitely planning our 2 rallies side-by-side and working together between the two clubs, VCOA and LCUSA.

Do check out the website. It will tell you quite a bit.
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
amerivespa is a city rally. It was held here in Cleveland last year and we had a blast. Its the national rally for the Vespa Club of America. You don't have to be a member to attend. But you probably should join if you have a Vespa or Piaggio scooter. Its a good way to network and/or connect with other scooter folks.

-larry
@munny avatar
UTC

Hooked
P200, 150 super, ET4 190

Hooked
@munny avatar
P200, 150 super, ET4 190
UTC quote
Rallies are a blast it al depends on what you want to get out of going to a rally and picking the right one to go to. Dogwood Delirium is just in the planning stage now and is set for late april. It will be a Camping Rally and that usually entails lots of Camping some riding a few beers some good jack assery and some cool new people to hang out with. There will probably be someone to poo poo an auto scooter behind your back but the chances are they didnt go on the afternoon ride cuz there bike was broken and theyd rather stand around drinking beer talking about it than riding. There is also gonna be lots of folks on Automatics because thats what they have and enjoy and its fun for them and they are cool people too. Going to any Big rally is great and Im sad I have no GOTHAM this year. I think that was the best fun I have had on a scooter with most of my clothes on. THe DC Rally is also in the planning stages and that will be a blast too, Riding in the Capital City is interesting. I recomend trying a few out and see how you like it. I think I may head to WKRP this year cuz its been lookin real fun.
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
mmmm... Sounds like fun. I'm familiar with going to Meets with my Mini (little red car in my avatar) and Amerivespa sounds alot like what MiniMeets are about. Is there a central (host) m/hotel that everyone stays at, or do you just find one to your liking and meet at the various venues?

I mentioned it to SWMBO last night and she seemed interested, if it's like the MiniMeets we've been to.
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
SWiMBO?
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Re: ...
demonlarry wrote:
SWiMBO?
I believe you are engaged, no? When you do get married, Samantha = SWMBO.

She Who Must Be Obeyed!

There is no masculine derivitive. Crying or Very sad emoticon
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
gotcha!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0349s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0029s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]