@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Having just seen a friend's new Piaggio BV500, a very sexy-sleek-looking fuel-injected maxi-scoot that can cruise at 90+ mph [See Crystal's review]

I'm wondering, since they're in about the same price range, any thoughts on why someone would choose either the BV500 or the GTS250?

Curious minds want to know-- 8)
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
Re: GTS250 vs BV500
pdxvespa wrote:
I'm wondering, since they're in about the same price range, any thoughts on why someone would choose either the BV500 or the GTS250?
It's the classic delimma, retro scooter looks vs. motorcycle-like handling (and in the case of the BV500, motorcycle-like performance). Do you want to try to fit in with the retro scooterists at a rally or do you want to haul $#!@ on the interstate to your destination? Actually, IMHO, the BV500 is the only maxi-scooter which wouldn't look out of place in a gaggle of retro-scooters. I can't think of another maxi which can make that claim. I'd buy one in a heartbeat over a GTS, especially since I already own a GT200L, except that the BV500 isn't eligible to participate in the Cannonball. That may not be such a big consideration for most other folks, but it is for me.
@bwyn avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 SOLD

Addicted
@bwyn avatar
GTS250 SOLD
UTC quote
The difference of weight made it for me, a newbie. The BV500 weighs 436.5 # dry and the GTS weighs 326# dry. It's possible that as I gain experience that I will move up to an X9.
@solid_steel avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX

Addicted
@solid_steel avatar
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
UTC quote
Bwyn wrote:
The difference of weight made it for me, a newbie. The BV500 weighs 436.5 # dry and the GTS weighs 326# dry.
You don't notice it in use..

I tested a B500 a while back... here's what I thought:

http://groups.msn.com/funontherun/piaggiob500testride.msnw

Compared to the GT200 when I tested that:

http://groups.msn.com/funontherun/vespagt200testride.msnw
UTC

Addicted
PX200 for aeons, Lambrettas in "60's",My wife's GTS250 when I'm good.

Addicted
PX200 for aeons, Lambrettas in "60's",My wife's GTS250 when I'm good.
UTC quote
Q ships are fun
The BV500 looks ok to me as a cross dressed motorcycle.
They do have a lot of plastic.
Performance wise you cant beat more cubes for serious mile crunching
BUT
Dontcha think those machines have an identity crisis?I know the Italians love maxi scoots.BUT
It is much more fun to have a scooter that looks like a scooter and boogies off from the tincans around the burbs.
The Bv should go to motorcycle rallies to surprise the bikesTHAT would be fun.
Oh, I just realised Q ships is a British WW2 thing.Unarmed merchantmen that had a hidden gun to engage the Uboats who would surface to save a torpedo and sink the merchantmanwith their deckgun.
Cheers
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
I really like the BV500. It has the looks I want, and the ability to go very long distances. The only other maxi-scooter i really like the looks of is this one http://www.apriliausa.com/models03/scooters/eng/modello.phtml?id=79#

I (IMO) think these are sweet, and since Piaggio now owns them i hope they will be a more viable company. My next scoot will be a BV, or the scarabeo 500, Beale.
OP
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Aprilia's Scarabeo 500 is also a sweet-lookin' maxi. I agree that the Italian maxi-scoots seem to retain the scooter aesthetic-- The Japanese maxis don't, really-- though I find the Bladerunner looks of Yamaha's Morphous perversely appealing >>
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500

Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500
UTC quote
I think the BV500 looks very nice for a large wheel scooter. Even at 436 pounds, I think it is significantly lighter than any of the Japanese maxi scooters. I just don't get the lay down (couch) style of most (Japanese) maxi scooters. What is the advantage of that position?

-Paul
I'm ready for a scooter but just can't decide...
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Here's the dream bike: the new Scarabeo 500, based unabashedly on the BV500. This bike is as beautiful as anything that's ever rolled on two wheels and isn't quite the lard butt of the current Scarabeo 500... the question remains whether it's coming to the USA.
UTC

BV 500

BV 500
UTC quote
You also need to keep in mind that the BV500 is made of more substantial componant parts and in that is much value. The brakes, shocks, fuel system.... are all more substantial than many of the other Vespas and Piaggios. Hopefully, that translates into more time on the road and less in the shop !
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
Packa wrote:
Here's the dream bike: the new Scarabeo 500, based unabashedly on the BV500. This bike is as beautiful as anything that's ever rolled on two wheels and isn't quite the lard butt of the current Scarabeo 500... the question remains whether it's coming to the USA.
Hmm... that is tasty-looking, isn't it?
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
I like the current Scarabeo 500 (minus the rotund derierre) better than the new one.
UTC

GTS 250 i.e.

GTS 250 i.e.
UTC quote
I'd have to agree with Bryce on this one. The current body style had a lot of character, IMO, that would have made it my next choice after the GTS 250.

I would'nt really call it a "lard butt", after all, it does have 500cc's!!
Bryce Ludwig wrote:
I like the current Scarabeo 500 (minus the rotund derierre) better than the new one.
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125
UTC quote
Packa wrote:
The new scarabeo looks more based on the Scarabeo 150s (and subsequently, the 250s), than the BV500 - I think it's the headset that throws people.

I love my Atlantic 500. Aprilia's done great things with that drive train, in many a great bike.
@gene avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300 Super/Burgman 650/BV500/ B&W250/BMW R60/CL77 Scrambler/YDS1 Big Bear/CB160/Hayabusa

Hooked
@gene avatar
GTS300 Super/Burgman 650/BV500/ B&W250/BMW R60/CL77 Scrambler/YDS1 Big Bear/CB160/Hayabusa
UTC quote
Im a lucky duck.

Have owned a BV500 since August and 2 weeks ago purchased a GT200. Considered a GTS but the price differencial was over $1100.00 (my best deal locally on both models) drove me to the 06 200. While the 200 probably isnt the GTS I fell incredibly fortunate to own both. The BV to let her rip when the need arises and the GT to enjoy the classic Vespa styling and those incredibly smooth characteristics and classic styling!

Both are Fantastic! Gene
OP
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
gene wrote:
Im a lucky duck.
Gene, you are a lucky duck!

Congratulations---
@smorgasbord avatar
UTC

Hooked
X-9 500 Evo, GT200

Hooked
@smorgasbord avatar
X-9 500 Evo, GT200
UTC quote
GTS250 vs BV500
I think a lot of people who walk into Vespa boutiques to look at the GTS250 and see the BV500 for $400 more and ride both are going to choose the BV500.

Almost double the horsepower, linked brakes (dual disks up front), room for an adult passenger, better stability at higher speeds....

The only things you give up are the Vespa name (resale value?) and low speed handling in the city. But if that's what's important, you're probably looking at the LX150 anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the BV500 & X-9 revised with ABS brakes and a much higher price sometime soon. With the Kymco Xciting 500, Chinese 500cc scooters are priced the same as the Piaggios, so, well, you do the math.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0321s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0027s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]