Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
vintage red matthew wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
if the top two holes were used alone it would have been much more stable.
You're right about that. Some people have no concept of the principles of engineering.
That, and it just now occurs to me, what if there was a scooter behind you!!?!!??!

Whew emoticon Whew emoticon Whew emoticon Whew emoticon
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, some pushbikes
UTC quote
The universe is telling you that you should have ridden the scooter there.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
You're right about that. Some people have no concept of the principles of engineering.
That, and it just now occurs to me, what if there was a scooter behind you!!?!!??!

At best they'd need to change their underwear.

I was thinking worst case scenarios. Possible for that thing to flip up and go through a windshield..... God help a PTW. Those things are getting battened down firmly....
znomit wrote:
I should get credit for riding 2/3 of the way.

Considering I was almost offed twice driving my car past Chicago on the way home.....
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
fledermaus wrote:

At best they'd need to change their underwear.

I was thinking worst case scenarios. Possible for that thing to flip up and go through a windshield..... God help a PTW. Those things are getting battened down firmly....
znomit wrote:
I should get credit for riding 2/3 of the way.

Considering I was almost offed twice driving my car past Chicago on the way home.....
Only twice?? Count your lucky stars. That's way below average for Chicago.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
So i keep getting these weird calls. If i try to call them back it either doesn't go thru or it just rings and rings. WTH is this all about? Very annoying since i'm sometimes getting cals at 6am.l I'm usually up but haven't always had my coffee by then. Clueless on why i'm getting them. Anybody else have/has this problem> TIA
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
judy wrote:
So i keep getting these weird calls. If i try to call them back it either doesn't go thru or it just rings and rings. WTH is this all about? Very annoying since i'm sometimes getting cals at 6am.l I'm usually up but haven't always had my coffee by then. Clueless on why i'm getting them. Anybody else have/has this problem> TIA
I get calls nearly daily despite being the the federal do not call registry.

"There's no problem with your account, but...".
Or, something about health care.

I'm to the point that if I answer and the caller isn't quick about saying"hi" I just hang up.

Unfortunately I can't just not answer calls from unknown numbers.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
MS that makes sense. Every weird call i put a block on but they just call with a different number. Like swimming upstream. You don't get very far.
@skansen avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@skansen avatar
UTC quote
We are to evaluate our students' final exams before their graduation and had to attend a consultation meeting where we discuss final gradings. We're only 6 teachers out of the 10 supposed to be here. The person in charge at the Board of Education confessed the missing colleagues had preferred going AWOL to priviledge their cure of treatment (which by the way is strictly illegal). Insane!
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
UTC quote
judy wrote:
MS that makes sense. Every weird call i put a block on but they just call with a different number. Like swimming upstream. You don't get very far.
We have the same problem around here. Here is what a fellow member of my BMW M/C club did to solve this issue. I don't understand some of it but it may help someone here who speaks the same language. The phone providers run a 6 line wire from the pole to our houses.

My other current project has been to fight robocalls and other nuisance calls that come in on my landline. There have been at least 12 each day. ! I have achieved success. I bought a PBX. It cost me all of $30. I have a double socket at each site where there is a phone, one for Verizon and one for Optimum. ! The NAS on the outside of the house three inside lines connected to Verizon. It has 3 house lines which are not connected to anything. The Optimum line connects to the modem. I changed it to 2 from Optimum and 1 to a line near the PBX. I jumpered The Verizon line to the one near the PBX. That one goes to line 1 on the PBX. ! Extension 0 on the PBX goes to the operator phone. ! Extension 1 goes to the jack that connects to the regular house phones. I then set the PBX to be in unattended mode. The operator phone doesn't ring. It is used only to control the PBX settings. An incoming call will hear "Press 21 for Eric". Our phones don't ring until they do that. It will go to voice mail if we don't pick up. ! I can return the phone system to normal in about 2 minutes by switching the jumpers back to normal in the NAS. WE have gotten NO Robocalls, sales calls, surveys, political announcements, etc. Nothing. We only have gotten legitimate phone calls from people who we would want to call us. ! I got a second unit from another ebay seller as a backup for $21. There is 1 more available at that price and more than 10 at $39. If anyone else is interested in doing this.

@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
judy wrote:
Robocalls.

Sign up for Nomorobo. They keep a list of confirmed robocallers. You get one ring, then the call is automatically transferred to them. It works well and it's free for landlines, $1.99 per month for cell phones. nomorobo.com

There are some free ones for cell phones also, but I don't know them just now.
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
UTC quote
BELLCO Credit Union. I'm trying to payoff a loan and BELLCO's phone system makes it impossible to talk to anyone.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
Dawdlers.

It's hard enough to get through intersections with short stop lights that only allow enough time for three or four cars. Now with all the road construction, cross streets back up for blocks. Then when the nitwit in front of you, or approaching when you're waiting to make a left turn... goes...oh...so...slowly...
Just get on the gas dammit!
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
mpfrank wrote:
There are some free ones for cell phones also, but I don't know them just now.
The "Should I answer?" app for cellphones.

Freeware. Available on Google Play Store & elsewhere.

Been using it for four months. A godsend. Intercepted (before they could ring) six scam/sales/bogus calls today alone.

Participating users help maintain a national database of bad caller numbers. Once they're on the list, they cant get through to you.

When a new scam number (who is not on the list) does get through, I just add them to the DB.

I rarely answer a call from an unknown number, and few scammers will leave a voicemail - the one that did on my wife's phone was clearly a computer-generated voice claiming that the police would be at our house within two days if she failed to call a certain number and speak with their rep.

The last time I answered an unknown caller, a woman was speaking shrilly in Mandarin - doubtless the "Chinese Consulate" scam making the rounds.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
The "Should I answer?" app is only free for the first month.
It's $1.99/month thereafter.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
A Google Mail add-on call Mailtrack.

Once added if one is not clever they want $1.50 a month to remove it!
@nautiker avatar
UTC

Addicted
'14 Piaggio BV 350

Addicted
@nautiker avatar
'14 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
I recently got a scam phone call, that was a digitized female voice telling me (no name) that my Microsoft license had expired, and that if I didn't call the following number and arrange payment, I would be unable to use my computer... It was so lame, I laughed out loud...
And besides, I use Apple computers...
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
My sweet dog, whom I refer to as my 'first born', is expected to die of renal failure in the next day or so. After a night of little sleep tending to her, I attended the funeral of a friend and coworker who passed at 52 on Father's Day. Crying or Very sad emoticon
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
UTC quote
I'm sorry about your dog, it's hard, I know too.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
The "Should I answer?" app is only free for the first month.
It's $1.99/month thereafter.
Might want to check this out further. You know, they've never charged me or the Mrs anything, nor do they list any fees at all. I'm reading their listing on Google Play at the moment, and it's shown as free, gratis:

"Should I Answer is free mobile security security application protecting you against unsolicited, expensive, unwanted or unknown calls."

I'm also seeing the app listing on the Google Play website where the question is posed : "If the app is free then how do you profit?"

"Our main target when creating this application was to make a tool to fight against unfair telemarketing and unsolicited calls. This is why the app is free: our only income is from the advertisements displayed on the web pages www.shouldianswer.net (and other related sites) and voluntary donations from our users."

Note that they do have a different and separate supplemental "contribution" app whereby users may make a one-time donation.

The current app rating is 4.8
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
I have an iPhone. That app in their app store is free to get, then after you load it, a screen appears with all the legalese explaining that it's $1.99/month thereafter unless you cancel it.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
A little mean, but when the sales call person is a live person and they ask to speak with "William" (or whoever they ask for) hold the phone away from your mouth and shout out in a feeble tone: "Mother, it's someone who knows our Billy! Come here, quick!" Then speak to the caller: "Are you a friend of our Billy? How is he? We haven't seen him in so long. Please tell him to call us!" By then the sales caller will be stuttering and stammering and they will either just hang up or excuse themselves and then hang up.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
New iPhone, new Sena 20s Evo , current BMW Motorrad Garmin GPS, all firmware and software up to date. Do they work together? Of course not. Sigh....
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
I have an iPhone. That app in their app store is free to get, then after you load it, a screen appears with all the legalese explaining that it's $1.99/month thereafter unless you cancel it.
Boy, that's a shame - free on android forever.
Yay, apple.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
redhandmoto wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
Boy, that's a shame - free on android forever.
Yay, apple.
Yeah. Poor Apple. I guess they need the extra money.
@tn_sooner avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain

Molto Verboso
@tn_sooner avatar
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
UTC quote
The dog days of summer, when 2 or 3 insecure, faceless internet trolls in basements natter on and on and on about tiny minutia, just because they can't possibly let someone else have the last word. Some threads have run their course and need to die. Please let them.
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
UTC quote
judy wrote:
My phone serv. provider put a block on all robo calls....my phone rings once - then caller is given a code in order to continue with the call.
Also , phone providers can block any number. Give them the number - they'll block it. Love it!
O.S.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the input all. Will do a few of the suggestions and see what happens.
UTC

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]

Addicted
UTC quote
Misinformation on the Vespa Forum is Pissing me off Today
I love the forum, but sometimes I just can't take the crazies...

-The person who tells a potential newbie owner that labor for Vespas costs $30 per hour.
-The 300 owner who likes to throttle hard and still gets 80 to 100 miles per gallon.
-And, of course, the climate change deniers.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Mis(understood)information on the Vespa Forum
theschuman wrote:

-The person who tells a potential newbie owner that labor for Vespas costs $30 per hour.
-The 300 owner who likes to throttle hard and still gets 80 to 100 miles per gallon.
Anyone care to guess what's pissing me off today?
Laughing emoticon
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
Me.. I'm pissing myself off today.

I umpired a youth baseball game (8 year olds) this morning. It was going smoothly and I announced we were going to play the last inning (time constraints get us off the field before 2 hours). Score was 5-5, which is pretty low scoring considering the number of walks and defense.

Tie game, bottom of the inning, 2 outs, 2 runners on base, hit to the outfield, close play at the plate, and I called him out.... game over, ends in a tie. Nice and neat, nobody goes home too upset.

except he slid under the tag. He was safe, the run should have counted, and the blue team should have won. The batting team coaches tell me (politely), but I tell them I cannot reverse my call. Game is over. They know I blew the call, I know I blew the call, and I was working by myself and cannot ask my partner to help me.

Hopefully I will see them again in a week or two (I'll ask to do another game they play) and I can apologize again.

Argh... thanks for letting me vent.

And to put it into scootering terms... it's now 59 degrees and it's raining on and off all day, so I can't even scoot.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Re: Mis(understood)information on the Vespa Forum
Madison Sully wrote:
theschuman wrote:

Anyone care to guess what's pissing me off today?
Laughing emoticon
\\

Let me guess... It must be bike maintenance month at the Sully's.
@gedmunds avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS Super

Addicted
@gedmunds avatar
Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
theschuman wrote:

This guy!!!
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Gedmunds wrote:
theschuman wrote:

This guy!!!
Bingo! Laughing emoticon
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
The management at Camp Huaco Springs this weekend. Bad attitudes and bent on only one thing - making as much money off a captive audience as possible!
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Maybe Schuman is jealous that my mechanic really does charge me $30 a hour. Eyelashes emoticon 8) Larry don't beat yourself up. Everyone makes a mistake . We still love ya.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
Larrytsg wrote:
Me.. I'm pissing myself off today.

I umpired a youth baseball game (8 year olds) this morning. It was going smoothly and I announced we were going to play the last inning (time constraints get us off the field before 2 hours). Score was 5-5, which is pretty low scoring considering the number of walks and defense.

Tie game, bottom of the inning, 2 outs, 2 runners on base, hit to the outfield, close play at the plate, and I called him out.... game over, ends in a tie. Nice and neat, nobody goes home too upset.

except he slid under the tag. He was safe, the run should have counted, and the blue team should have won. The batting team coaches tell me (politely), but I tell them I cannot reverse my call. Game is over. They know I blew the call, I know I blew the call, and I was working by myself and cannot ask my partner to help me.

Hopefully I will see them again in a week or two (I'll ask to do another game they play) and I can apologize again.

Argh... thanks for letting me vent.

And to put it into scootering terms... it's now 59 degrees and it's raining on and off all day, so I can't even scoot.
Hey Larry, at least you're out there helping those 8 year olds. Without you they couldn't even play the game!
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
theschuman wrote:

Judy does actually pay $30 an hour for maintenance.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
JP i know. After the a'hole who tried to steal my scooter screwed up the screw that holds the front horn cast piece, they fixed it for free. Didn't take them 5 min but i gave them some money for lunch. They really did not want to take it so i left it in the office where they'd see it. It's stuff like that which keeps people coming back. I've seen them let a guy use one of their tools to put a part in the scooter. Not everyone cares about the money. Just sayin
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
judy wrote:
JP i know. After the a'hole who tried to steal my scooter screwed up the screw that holds the front horn cast piece, they fixed it for free. Didn't take them 5 min but i gave them some money for lunch. They really did not want to take it so i left it in the office where they'd see it. It's stuff like that which keeps people coming back. I've seen them let a guy use one of their tools to put a part in the scooter. Not everyone cares about the money. Just sayin
You're lucky, and I hope their actions bring them a lot more business. What goes around comes around they say...
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
Just out of curiosity... What brand/model of trailer is it?
I was just going to ask that very same thing....
So, ahem, ????
Sorry, guys, I missed this question even though it came up more than once.

Actually, don't know. I kind of think jimc nailed it. Bought it used from tomjasz 4 or more years ago. Nothing on it indicating mfgr. Been reliable up to now.....I don't blame the trailer, just the idiot who assembled it and has 4 bolts jangling in his pocket.

As for me today, pretty peeved at whoever ran off with not one, but two paperback books from my reception room yesterday. Was working solo, not a whole lot of people hanging around waiting, but someone managed to score about $35 of reading material. Livid emoticon Livid emoticon Probably didn't want them, just saw an opportunity to lift something.

Had someone walk off with a crystal candy dish from a table about 10 years ago. Guessing who it was (companion of a patient-who was wearing an ankle bracelet), and doubt had any use for it whatsoever.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0736s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0533s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]