UTC

saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC quote
T5bitsa69 wrote:
having to walk to work due to the bloody snow ... 1hr each way... me legs ached before i started 10hrs work at me bench

if there is a bonus i listened to me mp3 player on the walk ... motorhead
You have a couple of hours of Motorhead on your mP3 player?! That knowledge alone should keep you warm on your walk. Lucky bastard!
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC

saggezza di scala

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Oh and then some. I have full regard for Christians observing Christmas - and it's a bloody good excuse for the rest of us to PARTY - but Why Crying or Very sad emoticon oh Why Crying or Very sad emoticon does the whole un-Christian nonsense have to start around 1st November????

ARRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Pissed off today by bloody 'Xmas Muzak' in every store I've had the misfortune to go into.

And by my discovery of several previously unknown muscles that must connect to my bloody bruised rib. Gah! (ow!)
Funny, being Jewish and all, I used to feel smothered by the wall-to-wall 'holiday' music on the radio this time of year. But now that I live in Israel I realize I miss it!

Last night I was able to pull in a US military broadcast playing 'Grandma got run over by a reindeer' and I almost started crying!

I'm such a sentimental wuss!
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
UTC quote
Santiago wrote:
genie wrote:
the 2010 Turner Prize. what a load of toss.
I just read about it sounds like self aggrandizing crap posing as art.
it's fairly typical for one of the entries to consist of incomprehensible wank, but there has actually been some superb work shown over the past few years - Chris Ofili, Cornelia Parker, Martin Creed, to name a few. this year, though, the wank ruled. i walked out of the exhibition with a little black cloud over my head
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC

saggezza di scala

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC quote
My wife is a graphic designer (has a BFA, years of high end experience, and owns her own design firm) and took me to the Museum of Modern Art in NYC this past summer to try to give me a little more culture than I normally get from my daily yogurt.

About half way through the tour I spotted two different pieces and couldn't help from saying 'that's bullshit' out loud.

One was a bicycle wheel mounted on a stool... and the other was a white canvas with a single straight pencil line on it.

I looked at my wife and said, "I could have done either of those"... to which she replied, "but you didn't".

I'm guessing that this is pretty much the definition of much (but certainly not all!) of modern art: 'You could have done that... but you didn't'.
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
UTC quote
the bike wheel on a stool is Duchamp, the white line sounds like Walter de Maria (but probably isn't).

your wife's assessment of those two pieces is right on the money. they were statements about the state of art at the time, and radically changed the way that we think about what art is, and how it's made. Even though they weren't necessarily easy to understand if you weren't 'in the know', they represented a totally new way of understanding art. it's thanks to gestures like these that we can now go to galleries and find amazing, bonkers things that make us smile and laugh and cry and jump up and down - not just stroke our chins and make remarks about formal consistency etc.

unfortunately, however, none of the works in this year's Turner prize said anything that hasn't already been said hundreds of times already, in more eloquent and interesting ways.
@maxx28 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@maxx28 avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Some of you complain about snow and I am wishing for more snow at the local mountains so I can snowboarding.
@scott_nelli avatar
UTC

Addicted
ET4 2003, GTS Super 2013

Addicted
@scott_nelli avatar
ET4 2003, GTS Super 2013
UTC quote
Treppenwitz wrote:
About half way through the tour I spotted two different pieces and couldn't help from saying 'that's bullshit' out loud.

One was a bicycle wheel mounted on a stool... and the other was a white canvas with a single straight pencil line on it.

I looked at my wife and said, "I could have done either of those"... to which she replied, "but you didn't".

I'm guessing that this is pretty much the definition of much (but certainly not all!) of modern art: 'You could have done that... but you didn't'.
Genie's response, "Even though they weren't necessarily easy to understand if you weren't 'in the know', they represented a totally new way of understanding art, "is exactly correct. Fine art is a highly specialized field with a "language" not designed for the layman, akin to modern "classical" music or even particle physics. No one would claim that the deceptively simple equation, E=MC2, is trivial just because any five year old can write it! Duchamp's bicycle wheel on a stool was a deceptively simple artistic "equation" that advanced the field of art.

So, this is what irks me today, the distrust the general public has for artists and other intellectuals (there, I've said it, I've used the most disdained word in America, "intellectual!"). Wha? emoticon Nerd emoticon Clown emoticon
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC

saggezza di scala

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC quote
Scott&Nelli wrote:
Treppenwitz wrote:

Genie's response, "Even though they weren't necessarily easy to understand if you weren't 'in the know', they represented a totally new way of understanding art, "is exactly correct. Fine art is a highly specialized field with a "language" not designed for the layman, akin to modern "classical" music or even particle physics. No one would claim that the deceptively simple equation, E=MC2, is trivial just because any five year old can write it! Duchamp's bicycle wheel on a stool was a deceptively simple artistic "equation" that advanced the field of art.

So, this is what irks me today, the distrust the general public has for artists and other intellectuals (there, I've said it, I've used the most disdained word in America, "intellectual!"). Wha? emoticon Nerd emoticon Clown emoticon
I think distrust might be a little strong. I think some of the negative feelings (however you define them) might actually come from the suspicion that they've/we've been left out of a private joke. Or worse; that the emporer might really not be naked. Hard to tell these days.
OP
@santiago avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS

Ossessionato
@santiago avatar
Vespa GTS
UTC quote
Good Morning!
Let the games begin.

I overslept and the coffee is cold.
@scutrbrau avatar
UTC

The Beer Guy
2010 GTS 300 Super and 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT

The Beer Guy
@scutrbrau avatar
UTC quote
Santiago wrote:
Good Morning!
Let the games begin.

Buck up. I thought you Maynard Yacht Club people were made of sterner stuff.
@scott_nelli avatar
UTC

Addicted
ET4 2003, GTS Super 2013

Addicted
@scott_nelli avatar
ET4 2003, GTS Super 2013
UTC quote
Treppenwitz wrote:
Scott&Nelli wrote:
Treppenwitz wrote:

I think distrust might be a little strong. I think some of the negative feelings (however you define them) might actually come from the suspicion that they've/we've been left out of a private joke. Or worse; that the emporer might really not be naked. Hard to tell these days.
We're all a bit lazy at times, and there are swindlers and charlatans in every walk of life, but the vast v-a-s-t majority of people, whether, politicians, teachers, bus drivers, lawyers, scooterists, or artists are well-meaning people trying to do good work. Suspicion of everyone who doesn't quite "live on our block" is wrecking the place! My 2 cents. Ok, back to the thread...
OP
@santiago avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS

Ossessionato
@santiago avatar
Vespa GTS
UTC quote
Chichikov wrote:
Santiago wrote:
Good Morning!
Let the games begin.

It's that awful period when it's too late to sleep but too early to start drinking that bugs me.
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC

saggezza di scala

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC quote
Santiago wrote:
It's that awful period when it's too late to sleep but too early to start drinking that bugs me.
Um, isn't that what Bloody Marys and Mimosas are for? Just sayin...
@scutrbrau avatar
UTC

The Beer Guy

The Beer Guy
@scutrbrau avatar
UTC quote
Santiago wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
Santiago wrote:
Good Morning!
Let the games begin.

Too early to start drinking? Not familiar with that concept.
OP
@santiago avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS

Ossessionato
@santiago avatar
Vespa GTS
UTC quote
Treppenwitz wrote:
Santiago wrote:
Um, isn't that what Bloody Marys and Mimosas are for? Just sayin...
Yeah but my boss won't buy in.

All work and no vacation,
deserves at least a small libation.
So hail friends and raise your glasses,
for work is the curse of the drinking classes.

Oscar Wilde
⚠️ Last edited by Santiago on UTC; edited 1 time
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
UTC quote
Snow!!! Just flurries so far, but icing on the roads. Poor biking WX.
Damn!!
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
UTC quote
learning that fitting a new boiler (which is urgently needed) is probably going to involve dismantling most of my kitchen and bathroom so that a new gas supply can be installed
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Suggest
Yeah but think just how good it's going to look/work after it's all back together.

Edit - my Amazon books still havn't arrived. ARSE.

Birreh X
OP
@santiago avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS

Ossessionato
@santiago avatar
Vespa GTS
UTC quote
genie wrote:
learning that fitting a new boiler (which is urgently needed) is probably going to involve dismantling most of my kitchen and bathroom so that a new gas supply can be installed
"urgently needed" might be an understatement if BBC online is to be believed. Good luck.
@bleubelle avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 GTS 300 Super "Yukihime" 2013 BV350 "Silvar""

Ossessionato
@bleubelle avatar
2010 GTS 300 Super "Yukihime" 2013 BV350 "Silvar""
UTC quote
Hip pain... 'nuff said.
@windsorknot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
"Isabelle" Black Vespa 300 GTS

Enthusiast
@windsorknot avatar
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
People in general today. We had this little visitor to our retention pond at work today.
Unbelievable. Has there ever been a cause of otter on human violence? I'd be pissed too.
⚠️ Last edited by Windsorknot on UTC; edited 1 time
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Brrrr
Yup it's - 3 outside and it's been snowing most of the day which is just the way we like it because it gives us English types something to talk about.

Is it just us or is it the first thing everyone talks about ?

Bill X
@windsorknot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@windsorknot avatar
UTC quote
File this under pissed off and amused. Found a note tucked into my curry hook.

Short story: BMW car driver not parked in a real spot has to park as close as possible to the building. Because I park more to the left, he has to park on a slant. Did I mention it's not a real spot?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Note
Answer - Yes I would.

Job done.
@scutrbrau avatar
UTC

The Beer Guy

The Beer Guy
@scutrbrau avatar
UTC quote
Re: Brrrr
Bill Dog wrote:
Yup it's - 3 outside and it's been snowing most of the day which is just the way we like it because it gives us English types something to talk about.

Is it just us or is it the first thing everyone talks about ?

Bill X
Not just you. I suppose it's one thing that absolutely everyone has in common regardless of gender, race, class, etc.
@erich51 avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW

Banned
@erich51 avatar
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW
UTC quote
This ThreaD
Torino wrote:
This thread, not to be a wet
blanket but in my humble opinion I am sick of the 'hate' threads. It dilutes
the integrity of the site in general.
If this thread was truely bad, it would have been stopped by now, Jess would stop all transmitions of said topic. Therefore the thread must be serving the public.

I like positive threads more then negitive threads.
So let's all go to the "Things I love" thread. 8)
@gianni avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS Vintage Red

Molto Verboso
@gianni avatar
GTS Vintage Red
UTC quote
Huge Rain and Wind here. Could not ride even though it was 57F! Just found out our house lost power.....

Not happy....
@scott_nelli avatar
UTC

Addicted
ET4 2003, GTS Super 2013

Addicted
@scott_nelli avatar
ET4 2003, GTS Super 2013
UTC quote
erich51 wrote:
Torino wrote:
If this thread was truely bad, it would have been stopped by now, Jess would stop all transmitions of said topic. Therefore the thread must be serving the public.

Aw c'mon Torino, whining is good for the spirit like cheap red wine. Indulge, you'll feel better until later.
8)
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Windsorknot wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
People in general today. We had this little visitor to our retention pond at work today.
Unbelievable. Has there ever been a cause of otter on human violence? I'd be pissed too.
Actually this just happened recently here. 19 year old thought it would be a good idea to walk right up to this otter and video it. I am not sure what is funnier, the otter going after him or him screaming like a 12 year old girl.

Still pissed today though. The trap caught a opossum last night that they took away and have reset it for mr./ms. otter today.
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
The Christmas Lights....Bah humbug
OP
@santiago avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS

Ossessionato
@santiago avatar
Vespa GTS
UTC quote
Re: This ThreaD
erich51 wrote:
Torino wrote:

I think most guys dislike sharing good stuff. Huggable friendly happy thoughts. We do love to complain about shit that happens and get feedback from our frineds that they have the same thing happen and it's really annoying. It's a way of saying we are all in the same struggle.

If you tell a guy at a bar you just got a new sports car he will think you are bragging. If you tell the same guy your transmission broke down he will become an instant friend and maybe buy you a beer.

Modern Vespa is like that. We hammer down bragging assholes but try to help each other when we are down.

There are lots of threads here I don't care to read. Someone would have to point a pie at my head to get me to adjust my valves. If you don't like a thread don't click on it.
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Having a customer come into my data center to remove their equipment and cut the 20 wires on a panel supplying network to everyone else in the cage and spending 5 hours trying to figure out what network cable goes where, while customers are screening that there servers are down. Facepalm emoticon Facepalm emoticon Facepalm emoticon

Week can only get better from here I hope
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
Re: freezer bag
Treppenwitz wrote:
You have a couple of hours of Motorhead on your mP3 player?! That knowledge alone should keep you warm on your walk. Lucky bastard!
i have all their albums apart from no remorse and any of their live ones .. slayer on the way home tonight External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
went to see them last week and sad news a guy was killed after the gig

anyhoo can i say snow again
@scootchef avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 GTS 300 Super

Ossessionato
@scootchef avatar
2010 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Windsorknot wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Actually this just happened recently here. 19 year old thought it would be a good idea to walk right up to this otter and video it. I am not sure what is funnier, the otter going after him or him screaming like a 12 year old girl.

Still pissed today though. The trap caught a opossum last night that they took away and have reset it for mr./ms. otter today.
Would it be wrong to add this to the "things I love post"? Laughed my head off. ROFL emoticon
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC 09C VMA VSX - vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
VNB VSC 09C VMA VSX - vbc vmb
UTC quote
Things I hate
Phrases I hate
Piseed me off today

Wooden Vespa
Vespa made of Wood
Wood Vespa

just sayin...
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
3 weeks
Sorry if somebody has mentioned this before but Supermarkets or any store that has Christmas music playing.

I could compile an album of Christmas Songs that I totally hate.

Oh hang on I'm in the wrong thread but hey it pissed me off hearing Simply having a wonderful Christmas Time by Paul McCartney - which I wasn't.

Bill X
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
UTC quote
while we're on the subject of pissing-offy christmas songs: 'Santa Baby'. eww. getting all flirty with a jolly old elf is so wrong.
@stinkyjones avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 244, 2005 BMW F652 CS, 2001 ET4 150

Ossessionato
@stinkyjones avatar
2009 GTV 244, 2005 BMW F652 CS, 2001 ET4 150
UTC quote
If anybody is interested, I'm still waiting on my superior to make those decisions from yesterday. Hell, I'd be fine with an acknowledgment that there are, in fact, decisions to be made.

This is still pissing me off.
OP
@santiago avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS

Ossessionato
@santiago avatar
Vespa GTS
UTC quote
People on the forum like this. Sorry you don't.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Candle
The only Christmas song worth any note is the The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping and the rest of it sucks donkey bollocks.

Fact.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0359s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0158s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingTwo ]