Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650.
UTC quote
Gary,

Good information. I have heard from many riders that their strategy is to "lay er down" as the article describes. Sounds like that is really one of those riding myths.

Thanks for the link.

steve
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
Very good article. Thanks for posting the link. We must remimber that being seen, not heard is most important, Beale.
@cindy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Molto Verboso
@cindy avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
That is a very good article. It states that loud pipes "do not" save lives which is the reason many give for getting loud pipes.

The only time where I can see laying it down instead of using your brakes is in a video where a motorcycle slid under an 18-wheeler, but I'm not sure that wasn't a stunt.
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
UTC quote
I like this line......
Quote:
The point: No matter how good you think you are, don't count on overcoming the Pucker Factor when you're caught by surprise and think you're about to meet your Maker.
pucker.....
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
Good article. Thanks for posting.
@zipmon avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2006 LX50 (Florida), 2007 LX125 (Italy)

Enthusiast
@zipmon avatar
UTC quote
thank you for posting! - i have to deal with left-turners every day, great tips. just one question though:
Quote:
Do all you can to make it easier for them to see you. Use your high beam during the day. High beam is more conspicuous than low beam.
is that a good idea/legal? are the lamps on vespas positioned in such a way that you can use high beam without blinding oncoming drivers?
@larrydj avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS Super 300ie

Hooked
@larrydj avatar
Vespa GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
zipmon wrote:
is that a good idea/legal? are the lamps on vespas positioned in such a way that you can use high beam without blinding oncoming drivers?
I assume it is legal, since headlight modulators are designed to work with the high beam during the day. I'm also guessing that during daylight drivers' pupils are smaller, and are not blinded by bright headlights.
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
I allways run my highbeam during daylight, Beale.
@cindy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Molto Verboso
@cindy avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
It's legal. They taught us to do that at the MSF BRC and ERC. I always ride with highbeams on during the day. If you ride in the dark it is a very good idea to wear reflective clothing. If you ever get separated from your bike, you want cagers to be able to see you.
@bwyn avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 SOLD

Addicted
@bwyn avatar
GTS250 SOLD
UTC quote
Excellent article. Here's another site worth spending some time on.
http://www.msgroup.org/TIPS.asp
I printed the tips and hsve them in a notebook.
@zipmon avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@zipmon avatar
UTC quote
thanks for the tips guys, i'll follow suit!
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
Good and bad new here for me....
Bad News:
I have always tried to ride in the spaces between the gaggles of cars with drivers who are in a big hurry to get to the next red light. Got that idea from the Proficient Motorcycling book. It says in this article though that this is a bad idea, and goes on to explain why. Still, on the "suburban" highways (You know...not the interstates, but those 45MPH 4-lanes between the new shopping malls and the new bedroom communities) where there is little traffic coming from the right and left in the long stretches between intersections, finding the gaps still makes sense, too.

Bad News:
Highways are safer. I believe this is true for the same reasons stated in the article...But not if you are trying to ride the 55MPH interstate on a 150cc scoot with traffic at 75MPH. Remember, this article assumes motorcycles. My ET4 has to stay off the interstates, at least during the travel times I commute.

Good News:
I can show this article to my wife if I decide to get a 250GT that's fast enough to be on the interstates, so she can rest with the calm assurance that I will, in fact, be safer riding on the highways.
OP
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
I'm tickled that everyone is getting something out of the article. Let's keep an open dialogue on the subject. There's always something to be learned here, and words are softer than asphalt and steel.

Those are good thoughts Menhir. Common sense should prevail.

I don't know if your comment was rhetorical VESPAsfw3, or if you were looking to squelch the misconception to "lay er down". If you "lay er down", you've lost steering and control, and are just a scraping projectile. Rubber grips the road far better than any other part of the bike, or your body. Just remember, if you lock up the rear brakes in a panic, you need to keep them locked.

Headlight usage is legislated under state jurisdiction. I don't know of any state restrictions on the use of high-beams. You can usually reference your state's entire Motor Vehicle Law from your state's Attorney General website.
A little tidbit for you all: The highest ranking state police officer is the state Attorney General.
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Gary, thanks for posting this article-- a great service to the forum!

Some of us here also follow the forum www.beginnerbikers.org , which has lots of ongoing input on safety issues, quite a few veteran riders [despite the name], a scooter sub-forum, and a fair amount of cameraderie and cross-over between scooterists and MC riders.

Just in case you're not spending enough time on-line
@mgg avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 BV500

Hooked
@mgg avatar
2007 BV500
UTC quote
I don't understand what the articale means by "split lanes on the freeway". I think they mean ride down the middle of the lane you are in so as to avoid any one comeing along side of you in your lane. However when I read the article its not clear.

Just want to make sure I am not mis interpreting this part.
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
UTC quote
I don't really know what spliiting lanes means, but it is safest to drive a little to the left of the middle of the lane. That way, your light is in the rear view mirror in the car and in the left outside mirror as well.

At least, that's how I drive.
@bwyn avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 SOLD

Addicted
@bwyn avatar
GTS250 SOLD
UTC quote
Per David Hough, splitting lanes is 'white lining'. i.e. riding the white line between traffic. See his book Proficient Motorcycling.
@girlbike avatar
UTC

Sponsor
Vespa ET4

Sponsor
@girlbike avatar
Vespa ET4
UTC quote
Thanks for posting the link! I think it was a very well done article. I like that the author stresses 1) Do all you can to make it easy for car drivers to see you.

One thing to keep in mind that splitting lanes, or white-lining, isn't legal in all states, so look it up before you try it. It's legal in California, but when I took the MSF course here, I found out it's not legal in Maryland.
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 150

Hooked
Vespa LX 150
UTC quote
zipmon wrote:
Quote:
Do all you can to make it easier for them to see you. Use your high beam during the day. High beam is more conspicuous than low beam.
The California motorcycle handbook specifically says it is both legal and recommended to run your high beams all the time.
@zipmon avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@zipmon avatar
UTC quote
Vespastic Jon wrote:
The California motorcycle handbook specifically says it is both legal and recommended to run your high beams all the time.
i do so all the time now and i think it really does help; i can see my light in the car ahead of me from a while away
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
UTC quote
High Beam? Is that the strongest you've got?

I mean. I can put the light on my px in 3 'positions'. There a very low, a high (which I use) and there is teh highest, like in a car, but I pretty sure that blinds other drivers.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0248s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0017s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]