@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Went to my first rally yesterday -- the Big Wet One in San Francisco. I showed up for the 2:00pm scavenger hunt, met glasseye for the first time (nice guy!) and also Oz, who I've ridden with before. True to Big Wet One form, it rained on my way to the scavenger hunt, although it dried up after that.

All three of us were more interested in riding than in the scavenger hunt, but joined in the scavenger hunt anyway. Oz and his girl and I formed a team, while glasseye teamed up with the members he rode up with from the South bay. We made a fair showing, but didn't get the road kill OR the live crab, both of which were high-point scavenger hunt items.

After the scavenger hunt (and an hour or two of goofing around at a local bar) a bunch more people showed up for the 7:00pm ride through San Francisco, which is more what the three of us were after in the first place. There were maybe 30 scooters total. Not huge by SF standards, but it is January.

We all lined up in the street, two by two, letting traffic go around us until we were ready, which took forever. I underestimated the amount of two-stroke smoke choking the air. I see why they all say it's a heady experience -- they're clearly breathing too much carbon monoxide. I jest, of course, it really was a heady experience. Finally, when we were all lined up and the light turned green, we roared off, making a huge racket, and tore through the streets of San Francisco, through some empty industrial areas, over and along railroad tracks, down streets that were twistier than the legendary Lombard, and flying past every stop sign with reckless abandon.

It was the coolest thing ever.

The ride terminated at another bar, where I said goodbye to glasseye and Oz and rode home across the Bay Bridge (an adventure unto itself).

When I got home, I saw that the new rear crash bars I just installed had a little bit of an interference issue with the air scoop for the transmission. I guess I didn't check the clearance with the bike off the stand. Not sure if I'm going to try to fix it or not. It might just be a battle scar, reminding me of my first rally ride.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@bwyn avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 SOLD

Addicted
@bwyn avatar
GTS250 SOLD
UTC quote
Question: since a lot of the rallys seem to start at and end at bars, how much drinking of alcohol is actually done?
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I dunno. I wasn't really paying too much attention to how much (or not) everyone else was drinking. I had a beer after the scavenger hunt, but then had maybe 2.5 hours before the night ride, so felt okay about it. I left after the ride, before anyone even went into the destination bar, so not sure about that either. I know some people were drinking neer-beer, too.
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
Yeow! That chip looks bigger than it did when I saw it last...

I still think it has to do with your spring loading on your bike... especially with the top case and all.

I feel bad for the guy that lost his hubcap! his rim was real bent out of shape after the ride through the potrero... and that windy road? That was crazy! My brakes got a real workout there.

Barry has solicited my tail light to repair someone else's. I need to remember to bring it with me to give it to him....

I have some pics, let me know if you care if I put a pic or 2 that has you in it
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
Yeow! That chip looks bigger than it did when I saw it last...
Yeah, first it was just a little half-circle about 2 or 3mm wide. By the time I got home, I was missing a big chunk.
TheO.Z. wrote:
I still think it has to do with your spring loading on your bike... especially with the top case and all.
Yeah, gotta check that out today. Now that my bike has 1000+ miles on it, the suspension is starting to loosen up a bit, so it's probably time.
TheO.Z. wrote:
I feel bad for the guy that lost his hubcap! his rim was real bent out of shape after the ride through the potrero...
Yeah, forgot to mention that! I was riding along and then there was a huge racket from behind me, like a car had just crashed into an empty flatbed trailer (seriously, that was the first thing that came to mind). By the next stoplight, Oz pulled up and told me we had lost a bike, that something had fallen off. Then we noticed we were missing about half our group, too. Turned out the hubcap had come off (someone said something about sparks flying) and the group caught up with us at the bar.

You think the backroads around Potrero did his axle in?
TheO.Z. wrote:
I have some pics, let me know if you care if I put a pic or 2 that has you in it
Go for it...
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
I think barry said his axle looked fine but the problem still remains that he bent his rim something good. It's flat on one spot so that'll have to be replaced if he wants his tires to stay on...

The cap wouldnt've flown off if it hadn't been for that.

Anyway, here are the pictures, then!

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
This was at the first bar where we met for the scavenger hunt (Jess is to the left, and to his right (left in the pic) is Julie, whom he mentions in his post My GT is actually right behind the blue Bajaj Legend, with the windscreen & topcase...

That's Jess making a face right before the Scavenger Hunt

We saw this Tourist before the ride. I think it joined us bit I can't recall seeing it at the destination bar. There were some portions of the ride that were fairly trecherous - giant water filled pot holes, wood debris, and a twisty path down hill that made me wish the GT had a "low" gear I could bump into... with it's low clearance I wonder how the Tourist did...

This is Mike Zorn from Scoot!'s P - I really love the 1940s british bomber aesthetic - I'd have absolutely no problem repainting my GT to match, perhaps with a bit more of a US B-52 look...

This bike I actually saw parked at the SF MoMA before the rally. Had to take a pic, and I told Jess/Glasseye that I'd post the pic...

Here's a side view...

-oz (who photoshops every license plate out)
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
UTC quote
Cold ride home last night.....brrrr.

Glad to see both you guys made it home safe last night, pity about your GT Jess.

So I am off to SF again today......never being one to miss a FREE BBQ.

Nice to meet you OZ.....and I would not buy Julie a bike of her own. Keep her on your GT....warmer that way, if you know what I mean*.heheheh

And good to meet you Jess, I am sure we will ride together again. And THANX for the forum, too cool.

Be sure not to miss 'scoot-touring' in the spring, great rally/ride/camp-out.

Rich
@mesmer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT200

Molto Verboso
@mesmer avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Jess-

My GT has the EXACT same broken piece missing from the air intake that yours now has. I bought my bike Salvaged, so I don't know it's history, but I now assume that it had crash bars before I owned it. I seem to remember that Curt's GT has this broken piece as well, but I could be mistaken about that.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Mesmer - Glad to know I'm not the only one. I'm thinking maybe if I put that bolt in from the rear it won't interfere, but it's kinda late now.

The bolt on the other side comes very close to the coolant hose when the bike is on the center stand, but doesn't quite touch it. I'm going to flip that one around for sure.
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
Jess!!!! You photoshopped my pictures

Very funny.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
That rally must have been a blast. I like the dragon scooter. Peace.
⚠️ Last edited by addicted on UTC; edited 1 time
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
addicted wrote:
I meant to reply to this thread days ago, but forgot. That rally must have been a blast. I like the dragon scooter.
I did get to see the original pictures Bro, and I'm glad about that. Now that they're altered, I feel privileged too, but a little sad also.
If he was really trying he'd put the head from his avatar on there
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
addicted wrote:
I meant to reply to this thread days ago, but forgot. That rally must have been a blast. I like the dragon scooter.
I did get to see the original pictures Bro, and I'm glad about that. Now that they're altered, I feel privileged too, but a little sad also.
I saw them, too, before they were altered.

They are elsewhere on this forum, unaltered...
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
Magic of computers
With the magic of computers not only could I get Jess's picture back

I could also age him 50 years

Tim
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Just a little fun, Oz -- hope you don't mind.
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
addicted wrote:
If he was really trying he'd put the head from his avatar on there
Idle hands are the Devil's playground. A boring job further compounds it. It's a bit rough, what with a dirty mouse in a machine shop.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Just a little fun, Oz -- hope you don't mind.
Not in the least, I found it very amusing

There's like, 2 billion people swarming my starbucks now because of MacWorld, btw.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
There's like, 2 billion people swarming my starbucks now because of MacWorld, btw.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0345s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0101s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]