UTC

Addicted
'2017 GTS 300 SS

Addicted
@paul_blknblu avatar
'2017 GTS 300 SS
UTC quote
Hi MV peeps
Time for a "poll" me thinks as I don't want to see any slackness out there, like to keep you on your toes in the new year...
The Question is, how many of you ride your scooter for work, for pleasure only (weekend riding) or both....
I often see that "we" have alternate vehicles lying about and was wondering what you use the scooter for.
I will kick off as I use the GT for both.
@zipmon avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2006 LX50 (Florida), 2007 LX125 (Italy)

Enthusiast
@zipmon avatar
2006 LX50 (Florida), 2007 LX125 (Italy)
UTC quote
Both!

I use my LX50 for a 18 mile (round trip) commute every weekday, as well as anywhere else I need to go on the weekends. This is primarily because it's the only vehicle I own but I can't imagine it any other way.

I will say this: using a scooter as your only means of conveyance really forces you to be creative with cargo! Bungee cords, backpacks, rear rack, underseat, you'd be surprised at how much you can stuff on that thing when you need to!
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan
UTC quote
Both, and I definitely fall under the category of too many alternate vehicles.

This year was really a low one for miles for me, though. I've put 1100 miles on the WRX (my main transport) since early summer. Fuel injection problems and laziness combined to keep it parked. I didn't get the scoot until September, and put 800 miles on it up until Thanksgiving. Three years ago I put 5000 miles on the MGA during the summer, but I don't think I drove it 500 miles this year. I think we put most of our travel/running around miles on the Audi this year.

So for the short period I rode it, my scoot almost got more miles of use than either of my other vehicles got in a year!
@shag avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTS250, 2014 GTS 300 Super, 2009 Harley Crossbones, 883 Super Low Harley, 2010 LX150

Hooked
@shag avatar
2007 GTS250, 2014 GTS 300 Super, 2009 Harley Crossbones, 883 Super Low Harley, 2010 LX150
UTC quote
I own my own service oriented business (guitar / bass instructional studio). I had a special second license plate made with my company name on it (attached below the state tag) and everytime I leave the house I make sure I have some business to take care of (dropping off business cards, bank deposits, etc.) so I can write of my mileage. I figure that at (my tax accountant handles this and said Maryland state law only says it has to be a motorized vehicle!) 39 cents a mile, everytime I write it off, I'm probably making money. In 2005 I had over 8000 miles to deduct with probably around 5000 of that on the scoot! Yahoot !
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Way to go Shag!

When we first got my ET, it was for pleasure. This past summer, with the $3 gas, I started riding it to work and whenever I could. When we got my wife's LX, it became work and pleasure rides, too.
@lisaesca avatar
UTC

Hooked
05 Vespa GT200 & 02 Honda Reflex

Hooked
@lisaesca avatar
05 Vespa GT200 & 02 Honda Reflex
UTC quote
My accountant won't let me deduct scooter mileage
Shag wrote:
I own my own service oriented business (guitar / bass instructional studio). I had a special second license plate made with my company name on it (attached below the state tag) and everytime I leave the house I make sure I have some business to take care of (dropping off business cards, bank deposits, etc.) so I can write of my mileage. I figure that at (my tax accountant handles this and said Maryland state law only says it has to be a motorized vehicle!) 39 cents a mile, everytime I write it off, I'm probably making money. In 2005 I had over 8000 miles to deduct with probably around 5000 of that on the scoot! Yahoot !
I know that some companies reimburse their workers different rates for car mileage and motorcycle mileage. I use my car for business errands sometimes and my scooter sometimes. I have no company signage on my vehicles since I don't deal with the public. I keep a detailed log of the records. The first year my CPA saw the scooter mileage in the log I keep she said the IRS wouldn't allow it, to just write down that it was car mileage. So I attribute scooter biz mileage to the car now so I guess I "make" money too, like you do. According to my records I put 4,900 miles on my PT Cruiser in 2005 (it just sits in the garage most of the time) and only 1300 of it was biz mileage. Between the three (now two) scooters that my husband and I rode in 2005, I think we put on about 2,000 miles.
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
I commute to work and pleasure ride with my scooter. I really bought it for the commute, and along the way discovered I love to ride. My wife even said I "scoot" too much and use too much gas. I think at times she forgets that my other transport gets 11mpg. On my truck I get 220 miles on a tank of gas (20 gallons). That is a lot of scooting, Beale.
@cindy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Molto Verboso
@cindy avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Beale wrote:
My wife even said I "scoot" too much and use too much gas.
That's a first, I've never heard that you can scoot "too much."

I only work a couple of days a week, but I scoot when I can.
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Beale wrote:
My wife even said I "scoot" too much...
Next on Springer: Boys & girls who scoot too much-- & those who love them anyway.... Laughing emoticon

work&play here-- I love solving the parking solution at work by driving in on my scooter, & bypassing the usual madness!
@vesparican avatar
UTC

Hooked
NONE (At this moment)

Hooked
@vesparican avatar
NONE (At this moment)
UTC quote
I ride my scooter to and from work on a daily basis. At first I was reluctant because of the traffic here in Puerto Rico. But after a couple of weeks, I've gotten used to it. Now, I don't want to use my SUV at all! I've logged in about +7500 miles in 2005. I save in time, it used to take me
1½ hours and sometimes more to get to work. Now, in just 45 minutes I'm drinking my coffee at my desk. I save in gas (SUV: $60.00 a full tank vs Vespa: $4.50 a full tank). My wife gets upset because I don't want to drive anymore. What the heck for... If I got my Vespa!

VESPARICAN 8)
UTC

Hooked
2003 ET4 150/PX 150 Serie America #232/1974 Rally 200

Hooked
2003 ET4 150/PX 150 Serie America #232/1974 Rally 200
UTC quote
Most of the time i used my ET4 for the weekend ride or when i'm not working but i also take it to work from time to time,the thing is like PAPO said traffic here can be hectic most of the time;have fun,be safe!!!!

Cheers!
CUCO
@trishdish avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1980 P125x, 2004 ET4, 2003 Triumph Bonneville, 1973 Honda CB350

Enthusiast
@trishdish avatar
1980 P125x, 2004 ET4, 2003 Triumph Bonneville, 1973 Honda CB350
UTC quote
Both. I don't have too many alternate vehicles because the man in my life puts his foot down when sensible, or else I would have them all and would spend all evening every evening moving scooters to avoid street cleaning tickets.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
trishdish wrote:
I would have them all and would spend all evening every evening moving scooters to avoid street cleaning tickets.
Story of my life, but it's old cars I have to move, not scooters. I can't count how many street cleaning tickets I've gotten over the years.
@scooterchik avatar
UTC

2006 GT200

@scooterchik avatar
2006 GT200
UTC quote
I ride mine daily to and from work and everywhere else I can. I bought this as my "second" vehicle. Since my boyfriend has the car for work, I have the scoot! I got some strange looks a few weeks ago when I came out with a grocery cart and put 10 bags on my scooter. With only 2 on the luggage hook. I love the space (with the back case it is great for shopping).
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0328s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0053s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]