@zippygt avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT 200 '04

Hooked
@zippygt avatar
Vespa GT 200 '04
UTC quote
Just changed the oil on my GT200, twas so successful (ie I managed it without spilling it all over the place) I thought I might share the method...

Loosened sump plug with bike on centre stand, then put it on the side stand, slid a 5litre oil can with the side cut out under the sump, and removed the plug. From the other side I applied the brakes and leaned the bike over which emptied the sump fairly completely I think.

Put the bike back on the centre stand. Removed the oil filter using a small thick gauge metal file to key in to the oil filter groove, swapped the rubber seal over to the new filter, fitted the sump plug, filter and 1 litre 5W 40 oil and the job was done.

Also cleaned air filter with washing up liquid as it was caked in London grime, dried it and wrung it out in petrol and oil. Just have to work out how to drain the hub oil and I'll be on me way to saving around £90 for a dealer service.

Oh, has anyone bought a GT200 service manual from Scooterwest and is it worth it?

Cheers all,

Dave
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
The side stand is on option in the USA. If we want one have to order one and install it. I have not changed my oil by myself yet, I may try to soon, Beale.
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Re: Changing oil...lessons learned
zippygt wrote:
Just have to work out how to drain the hub oil and I'll be on me way to saving around £90 for a dealer service.
Although it was written for an ET, I bet this would help greatly on a GT:

ET4: Gear Box Oil Change
@cindy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Molto Verboso
@cindy avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
All these good tips here. Do many of you service your own Vespas?
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Cindy wrote:
Do many of you service your own Vespas?
meh... My dealer is only 3 miles away. They done me right when my case cracked from kickstarting it three months after the warranty was up, so I'll give them the work to do.
@shag avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTS250, 2014 GTS 300 Super, 2009 Harley Crossbones, 883 Super Low Harley, 2010 LX150

Hooked
@shag avatar
2007 GTS250, 2014 GTS 300 Super, 2009 Harley Crossbones, 883 Super Low Harley, 2010 LX150
UTC quote
I've changed my LX150 crank oil twice and the rear drive oil once. I've decided that since the rear tires wear out between 1700-2500 miles I'll just change both while the rear tire is off.........which is much easier. The sparkplug change sounds tricky but my dealer assured me that you can do it with the Vespa tool kit and he's willing to show me how!
@marc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
06 GTS250. 00 Yamaha Vino airsal 70cc. 01 ET4 (wrecked). 67 Lambretta Vega125. 48 Beam Doodlebug Super. 1915 Board Track replica 80cc

Molto Verboso
@marc avatar
06 GTS250. 00 Yamaha Vino airsal 70cc. 01 ET4 (wrecked). 67 Lambretta Vega125. 48 Beam Doodlebug Super. 1915 Board Track replica 80cc
UTC quote
Shag wrote:
I've changed my LX150 crank oil twice and the rear drive oil once. I've decided that since the rear tires wear out between 1700-2500 miles I'll just change both while the rear tire is off.........which is much easier. The sparkplug change sounds tricky but my dealer assured me that you can do it with the Vespa tool kit and he's willing to show me how!
So the LX eats rubber as badly as the ET...
I have just changed my spark plug the 'easy way' for the first time in five years of ownership.
I almost cried it was so much easier, 20 minutes instead of four hours.
The trick is to put the scoot on the center stand, tie a rope or hook a tie down to the rear rack and attach to a handy ceiling rafter and undo the lower shock mount bolt.
Lift the rear of the scoot using the rope and the engine will rotate backwards on the front engine mount giving you ample access to get at the plug, (in comparison to 'normal')
Voila!
I was a little wary of trying this method as it sounds kinda wierd but let me assure you all it's the best way I know of.
cheers,
marc
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
marc
Can you get a picture of that ? I've been working on a write up for Changing the Sparkplug on the ET4

Tim
@marc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@marc avatar
UTC quote
Re: marc
TFauch wrote:
Can you get a picture of that ? I've been working on a write up for Changing the Sparkplug on the ET4

Tim
You know, it's so damn easy I'll do it all again just for the photo.
Also it means that much to me after five years of anguish, I just have to share
I won't be able to get at it until Saturday though, I'll do a series of pics going through the process.
cheers,
marc
p.s. twobitscooterwhore cut a hole in the side of his et to change the plug, had it covered with a large grommet
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
p.s. twobitscooterwhore cut a hole in the side of his et to change the plug, had it covered with a large grommet
Laughing emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon

Tim
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 250

Enthusiast
GTS 250
UTC quote
Cindy wrote:
Changing the oil is fairly straight forward on the GT and it is easier with a sidestand cuz with the scoot on the centerstand it is difficult to place the drain pan where the oil will pour out. I have changed the oil every 1500mi and the filter every other time.

Checked the belt and rollers at 3000mi for wear after reading reports of rapid wear on the rollers but everything checked out fine and within spec. To gain access to the clutch the airfilter had to be removed so I cleaned it and reoiled it with foam filter oil. It was only moderately coated with dirt. There is a clutch air filter also that had dirt on it so I washed it with Simple Green and reinstalled. I used an air impact wrench to remove the drive clutch.

Really a nicely put together setup although I'd hate to say it but my Honda Elite 150 is easier to work on. Maybe after I'm back in there a few more times things will fall into place.

Ciao

BajaPete
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
@quattrovalvole avatar
UTC

Addicted
09 GTS300 Super black, 04 GT 200 smoky, 05 GT 125 smoky (in pieces)

Addicted
@quattrovalvole avatar
09 GTS300 Super black, 04 GT 200 smoky, 05 GT 125 smoky (in pieces)
UTC quote
Just changed the oil myself and the side-stand definitely does the trick.

Had a 24mm socket on a big rachet and the drain plug came right out. Used a some big channel-lock pliers on the oil filter and it came out easily as well.

Only guesswork was refilling the right amount of oil. I know it takes a liter, but I kept checking the dipstick and it wouldn't show in the normal range.

Is the proper way of checking the level with the dipstick screwed in or just popping it in and out?

Thanks for all the good tips, you guys are great!
@jridg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV 250

Ossessionato
@jridg avatar
Piaggio BV 250
UTC quote
I believe you are supposed to screw it down to check - I could be wrong though
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
This was the way i was taught. Have it on the center stand. Do it with the engine cold. Take the dipstick out ,clean it. Then screw it back it back in and then check your level. Hopefully i was told right.
@burgerbob avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
SYM HD200, Vespa GT200

Molto Verboso
@burgerbob avatar
SYM HD200, Vespa GT200
UTC quote
Perfectly correct, although it would be more practical to just drop it down until it rests against the filler hole. That is how most motorcycles I have owned worked, apart from those with the glass window.

Cheers,

Bob
@bvbob avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan

Molto Verboso
@bvbob avatar
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
UTC quote
Beale wrote:
The side stand is on option in the USA. If we want one have to order one and install it. I have not changed my oil by myself yet, I may try to soon, Beale.
Beale- Give it a go. It's very easy and can still be done on the centerstand- just maybe a bit more messy. This is how I have been doing it with my BV but I'm going to do the side stand way in the next few weeks. You'll save a bunch of cash (after you buy a 24mm wrench) and it's very satisfying to know it was done right. You'll also be more apt to change it more often since you'll be saving each time you do it.-Bob
@vespadude avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@vespadude avatar
UTC quote
Hub Oil Change
There is a allen nut that you have to look through the wheel from the right side of the GT200 that is the drain plug. Drain then refill on the top plugThe allen nut is infront of the axle on the bottom
@msgts avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS "Alessandro"/ MP3 "Thor"

Addicted
@msgts avatar
GTS "Alessandro"/ MP3 "Thor"
UTC quote
Cindy wrote:
I had the great pleasure of "assisting" a few weeks back as my GTS enjoyed an oil change. A friend who is a scooter freak helped me out - and I was fascinated to see how easy the whole procedure was. Next time I'll go it alone, with some basic tools.

I was interested to discover the rarely mentioned-little tubular plastic filter thingy that slipped out of the plug hole (not the oil filter). How often does this need to be replaced I wonder? It had some chunks of green gunk in it.

My buddy was meticulous with the cleaning of the air filter element and application of a "tacky" air filter oil. There is a real technique in the hands of experience.

I stood by wearing surgical gloves like an operating room nurse.
It's also handy to have two people (if you don't have a side stand) to lean the scoot during oil draining.

I LOVED "being there" for this routine maintenance.

I encourage every timid owner to seek out a friend with "know how". Your scooter will love you for it.
For me it means more frequent oil changes and hopefully a longer lasting engine. *YEE HAA*!!

Diana
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
MsGTS wrote:
I was interested to discover the rarely mentioned-little tubular plastic filter thingy that slipped out of the plug hole (not the oil filter). How often does this need to be replaced I wonder? It had some chunks of green gunk in it.
From Motorsport / Scooterwest:
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
http://www.scooterwest.com/item_detail/Oil-screen/416/
"Oil screen for most Piaggio 4 stroke engines. Includes oring, great little item to replace every 5,000-10,000 miles."
@irishtim avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Genuine Stella 150, 2008 Genuine Buddy, 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Piaggio Fly 150 3v

Ossessionato
@irishtim avatar
2005 Genuine Stella 150, 2008 Genuine Buddy, 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Piaggio Fly 150 3v
UTC quote
zippygt wrote:
...on me way to saving around £90 for a dealer service.

Oh, has anyone bought a GT200 service manual from Scooterwest and is it worth it?
Think of the baked beans on toast that'll buy!

Get a CD Rom service manual off of eBay for Five quid or so. It's very cool to have the diagram on your laptop right next to where you are working.

The hub oil is very easy one just has to be patient with the refilling.

Great job!
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
IrishTim wrote:
zippygt wrote:
...on me way to saving around £90 for a dealer service.

Think of the baked beans on toast that'll buy!

Get a CD Rom service manual off of eBay for Five quid or so. It's very cool to have the diagram on your laptop right next to where you are working.

The hub oil is very easy one just has to be patient with the refilling.

Great job!
Why buy the CD off ebay when you can save it for free from MV?

Workshop Service Manual
https://modernvespa.com/files/workshop/GT200Workshop.pdf.zip

Parts Manual
https://modernvespa.com/files/parts/GT200Parts.pdf.zip
@flcruzr avatar
UTC

Hooked
79' Vespa P200E, 2005 Vespa GT 200

Hooked
@flcruzr avatar
79' Vespa P200E, 2005 Vespa GT 200
UTC quote
Great Tips! How often does the transmission oil need to be changed? Thanks again.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0218s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0071s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]