@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
Now that it's disconnected and I'm back on the road, is rode grime being sucked into my carb through the open inlet? I've been working on a filter for it, but don't know if I need it.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Hey there Jerry. Yes, that is a live vacuum port. If it gets clogged with a single grain of sand, your scooter will not run. Try placing your finger over the vacuum inlet while your scooter is running. The engine will instantly die. Don't worry though, you can resuscitate it by getting your finger out of there. Martha Stewart (inmate 9382737273982) says, a filter is "a good thing".
@fxkid avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200

Enthusiast
@fxkid avatar
GT200
UTC quote
I too have removed the evap hose from the carb on my GT. After I pulled the hose off the carb, I took the metal clamp off the end and used it to stretch a small square of cloth (like t-shirt material) over the end of another small length of rubber fuel line hose. I attached this new hose (with the cloth attached) to the carb where the old one was.

I've put about 800 miles on my GT since doing this with no adverse effects.

btw, check out the thread "GT200 Hard Starting" for more info.
@scooterbobby avatar
UTC

Hooked
31 motorcycles..8scooters and a bad -ass Fiat 500

Hooked
@scooterbobby avatar
UTC quote
not that i would ever endorse remove pollution controls on a scooter but FYI, the euro scoots have NOTHING on this port (ETs,GTs,etc)..it's just left open. .BTW it's not a vacuum port,just a vent.
OP
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
scooterbobby wrote:
not that i would ever endorse remove pollution controls on a scooter but FYI, the euro scoots have NOTHING on this port (ETs,GTs,etc)..it's just left open. .BTW it's not a vacuum port,just a vent.
I wanted to reconnect the hose, but every time I do, my scooter, she's a kaput. How do you dry out the canister/ how long before it does it itself?
@spock avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2002 ET4 & 1980 100 Sport

Ossessionato
@spock avatar
2002 ET4 & 1980 100 Sport
UTC quote
I've had my evap hose off for the last 15,000 miles without a filter.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
I went into the garage to rethink the carburetor, after scooterbobby posted that the EVAP port is a vent. I know that if I place my finger over the carburetor port in question, the engine instantly dies. It dies so abrupt that it's hard to tell by my finger alone, if there is vacuum present. So, tonight I connected a vacuum gauge to the port while the engine was running, to see if it would register a vacuum.
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
I didn't see any vacuum registered in the brief time it takes to connect the vacuum gauge to the carburetor port, as the engine dies.

Months back, when I originally examined the EVAP circuit components, I thought the engine died from an enriched fuel mixture, caused by blocking the EVAP hose connected to the carburetor port in question. I've also seen that when the blocked EVAP hose was unplugged from the carburetor, the engine needed to be cranked for a while before it ran, reinforcing the impression that the engine had been flooded.

Accepting the port is a vent (and I have no reason to doubt scooterbobby), it must be a vent for the fuel bowl, and then it would make sense to capture gas fumes into the EVAP circuit. Still, the engine dies abruptly once this vent is blocked, implying that foriegn debri, a grain of sand for instance, can (partially or fully) block the small internal orifice leading down to the float bowl.
@scooterbobby avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@scooterbobby avatar
UTC quote
true..if something jumped into this vent(sea monkeys for instance), it would stop it..i can do more investigation on the function of this port, but my main point was european scooters have this port unattached to anything.. my scoot gas 10,000KM on it and NEVER a carb problem....even with the big motor!
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
The plot thickens...
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
funny thing, I have actually seen the sea monkeys flying out of this port.
which is exactly why there is nothing hooked up on either my ET or the fiancee's GT, cruelty to sea monkeys is an effin' felony in the state of Ohio, which, by the way is round on the ends and high in middle.

-larry
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Nice. Real nice...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0288s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0026s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]