@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
Well I finally received my new Ermax today. Bear in mind I ordered this Jan 12th. It apparently took 2 weeks to get it from France then a few days delay in Italy then a few weeks transit here.
OMG the box was hammered. Of course it travelled from France to Italy then here via post. None of that sissy freight for these folks - nosirreebob.
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Amazingly the screen was unscathed.
I haven't time to put it on today but I did want to compare it with my beloved F1. They are very similar in styling but I'm pretty sure the Ermax is about 1" taller than the F1 without spacers - which it comes with. I will have to measure after it is installed for comparison.
The screen is damn good looking! I picked the amber tint and selected the mid sized screen for my height. There is an even taller one supposedly for riders over 6 feet.

I taped the Ermax on my F1 to show the similarities:

Note that the Ermax is about an inch low as you can see from the screw position relative to the holes. The side profiles are very similar. I believe the Ermax will not get so close to the riders face which will be a relief to some.

Skimpy install docs - but shouldn't be any big deal - this is the mounting hardware.

I have to run chores but when I get back I might just have to install this thing... stay tuned
[img]
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
I may have missed it earlier, but why did you go with the Ermax? And what's wrong with the 'beloved F1'?
@clem2098 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 MP3 250

Hooked
@clem2098 avatar
2007 MP3 250
UTC quote
Can't wait to see it installed. Very nice.
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
BravoTwoFour wrote:
I may have missed it earlier, but why did you go with the Ermax? And what's wrong with the 'beloved F1'?
Hey Roy - I was trying a new spacer angle and it cracked my F1 on both sides from the top mount hole to the "ears". I repaired with Plastic Weld and then reinforced with silicone & silicone tape in case it let go. It has not let go yet in spite of more than a few runs at 80 into a stiff headwind - but I'm not foolish enough to believe it will last - the structure has been compromised. So. I remember Rob extolling the virtues of his Ermax original and I noticed that Ermax just released a redesign that looked pretty similar to my F1 - plus maybe taller. I checked into it and the price was reasonable from a shop in Italy so I ordered it. It just took a month and a half to get it. But it *did* get here and looks great. The only other thing which I will comment on more fully when I actually have it on is the height of the "ears". The F1 is perfectly positioned to keep wind off your hands - but it results in a screen that can bump the brakes at full turn also. The Ermax appears to have avoided that but it appears the ears may be too low to do an effective job keeping wind off. But - it may be that it's angle will create a flow that diverts more than it would appear - we'll just have to see...
@bikemor avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 500, Red. Had MP3 250, Barron 150 Retro

Hooked
@bikemor avatar
UTC quote
Jon
I have been wanting one of those for a while but money is tight.
Where did you order from and what was the price with shipping?

I think they are the best looking screens for the 500 thus far.

The tints they offer are a little confusing as well.

Thanks
Alan
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing

Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
UTC quote
BubbaJon wrote:
BravoTwoFour wrote:
Hey Roy - I was trying a new spacer angle and it cracked my F1 on both sides from the top mount hole to the "ears".
You couldn't get the adjustment you wanted with a heat gun? Did you apply heat while fastening it down?

Hope you like the new one.
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
R.I.P. ----K.I.T.T.500, Agent Orange (400)

Ossessionato
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC quote
Re: Jon
Bikemor wrote:

Thanks
Alan
Yes! Tell us more! I would've ordered one by now, but I too thought they were long out of production. Where? How much?
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
Bikemor wrote:

Thanks
Alan
Red Racing - $120 shipped.
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
heinlein wrote:
BubbaJon wrote:
BravoTwoFour wrote:
Hey Roy - I was trying a new spacer angle and it cracked my F1 on both sides from the top mount hole to the "ears".
You couldn't get the adjustment you wanted with a heat gun? Did you apply heat while fastening it down?

Hope you like the new one.
It had already been "tweaked" I was just spacing an additional 1/4" but front only to raise the rear. Apparently that was too much stress. I've already kicked myself several times over...
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
luthorhuss wrote:
Bikemor wrote:

Thanks
Alan
Yes! Tell us more! I would've ordered one by now, but I too thought they were long out of production. Where? How much?
There are 3 heights and several tints + clear. Mine is the middle height as I didn't want it in my line of sight.
Red Racing Fuoco Ermax Screens
@bikemor avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@bikemor avatar
UTC quote
wow
that sounds way cheap? if I remember last I looked into that,
it was $100. just to ship it, that's why dropped it.

I think I'd get the smoke?
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
UTC quote
BubbaJon wrote:
I've already kicked myself several times over...
Apologies for my lack of sensitivity. I have to kick my ass on a semi regular basis.
@rob_in_denver avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
@rob_in_denver avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
Cool! I did think it was a damn nice screen, and the totally cut down versions are still on my two 500s, though I might consider replacing with that new adjustable screen if it ever shows up for sale. I did think I had a lot of buffeting from mine before I operated on it, but, as i so truthfully told you, i found the F1 way worse in that regard. Just me I suppose, but i was always thrilled that you bought it and liked it so much! I so am hoping they have improved it since then, which was a few years ago now. Keep us posted. Dying to know how it turns out.
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
Re: wow
Bikemor wrote:
that sounds way cheap? if I remember last I looked into that,
it was $100. just to ship it, that's why dropped it.

I think I'd get the smoke?
Yep - it's pretty damn cheap all considered. The smoke is an amber/tobacco color. I thought it would look nice with the red.
I also mis-remembered the sizes. Mine is the "high protection". The other two are smaller. there's the original and a new sport which looks damned nice and complements the looks alot.
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
heinlein wrote:
BubbaJon wrote:
I've already kicked myself several times over...
Apologies for my lack of sensitivity. I have to kick my ass on a semi regular basis.
LOL - my ass has gotten numb over the years..
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
There web site has something weird going on. Here is the actual link to the 500 screens
@bikemor avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@bikemor avatar
UTC quote
how did you
how did you get it for $120 shipped if it's 95.70 eur = $132.00 US?
without shipping? Am I missing something?

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Amount=++95.70++&From=EUR&To=USD&image.x=44&image.y=13
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
Re: how did you
Bikemor wrote:
how did you get it for $120 shipped if it's 95.70 eur = $132.00 US?
without shipping? Am I missing something?

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Amount=++95.70++&From=EUR&To=USD&image.x=44&image.y=13
Maybe they went up, maybe the exchange rate changed - how the heck should I know? Mine was including shipping. Maybe they didn't realize an American would order one and post-paid was a mistake of sorts. Then again maybe it still including shipping and you missed it.
I just rechecked and it appears they now charge for shipping - but it's paltry.

012203003 High protection black windscreen Pieces
95.70 95.70 5-10
Total of goods (EUR) 95.70
Shipping (EUR) 10.00
Total rateable (EUR) 105.70
UE VAT 20% (EUR) 0.00
Total amount (EUR) 105.70

This works out to $144 shipped to US. That's still a great price but.... you can always pay $230 + shipping for the Givi which is the only other game in town at the moment...
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
BubbaJon wrote:
BravoTwoFour wrote:
Hey Roy - I was trying a new spacer angle and it cracked my F1 on both sides from the top mount hole to the "ears". I repaired with Plastic Weld and then reinforced with silicone & silicone tape in case it let go. It has not let go yet in spite of more than a few runs at 80 into a stiff headwind - but I'm not foolish enough to believe it will last - the structure has been compromised. So. I remember Rob extolling the virtues of his Ermax original and I noticed that Ermax just released a redesign that looked pretty similar to my F1 - plus maybe taller. I checked into it and the price was reasonable from a shop in Italy so I ordered it. It just took a month and a half to get it. But it *did* get here and looks great. The only other thing which I will comment on more fully when I actually have it on is the height of the "ears". The F1 is perfectly positioned to keep wind off your hands - but it results in a screen that can bump the brakes at full turn also. The Ermax appears to have avoided that but it appears the ears may be too low to do an effective job keeping wind off. But - it may be that it's angle will create a flow that diverts more than it would appear - we'll just have to see...
Thanks for that. I do think both the screens compliment the 500's 'unique' looks, with the graceful curves and unusual lines, but the F1 REALLY appears to lay a long ways back to the rider's face.

I have the OEM windscreen, with added Variotour extension, and it is nowhere near as elegant looking as either of these! Functional, yes.

I'm anxious to see what the Ermax looks like installed on its own... and equally anxious to hear about performance. Good choice of tint for the red, by the way.

$120 delivered is a friggin' steal!
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
BravoTwoFour wrote:
BubbaJon wrote:
BravoTwoFour wrote:
Thanks for that. I do think both the screens compliment the 500's 'unique' looks, with the graceful curves and unusual lines, but the F1 REALLY appears to lay a long ways back to the rider's face.

I have the OEM windscreen, with added Variotour extension, and it is nowhere near as elegant looking as either of these! Functional, yes.

I'm anxious to see what the Ermax looks like installed on its own... and equally anxious to hear about performance. Good choice of tint for the red, by the way.

$120 delivered is a friggin' steal!
Thanks - hopefully I'll get it on and a preliminary testing done today. I double checked my invoice and I paid 87 euro for the screen - which is the $120 I remembered - and there was a 10 euro shipping fee which bumped it to $134. So apparently they have gone up $10 or so - still a bargain in windscreens.
@bcamiller avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Gilera Fuoco 500

Enthusiast
@bcamiller avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500
UTC quote
I ordered my Ermax screen yesterday and they said delivery will be in 5-10 days. It cost me $105.60 Australian Dollars (Approx $107 USD) Its been a long time since the Aussie Dollar was more valuable than the USD. Great for my holiday in the good ol' USA next month
@raybjur avatar
UTC

Addicted
'10 Aprilia Mana GT

Addicted
@raybjur avatar
'10 Aprilia Mana GT
UTC quote
Quote:
Its been a long time since the Aussie Dollar was more valuable than the USD.
Wait a few more months and your vacation could be less than that screen! Crying or Very sad emoticon
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
bcamiller wrote:
I ordered my Ermax screen yesterday and they said delivery will be in 5-10 days. It cost me $105.60 Australian Dollars (Approx $107 USD) Its been a long time since the Aussie Dollar was more valuable than the USD. Great for my holiday in the good ol' USA next month
The delivery in 5-10 days is *them* getting delivery from Ermax in France.
@jbama avatar
UTC

BLACK mp3 500

@jbama avatar
BLACK mp3 500
UTC quote
looks like a great deal !!
looking forward to seeing it in the 500!
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
Ok - so I got the screen on without too much fanfare. I translated the instructions which were as expected useless except for clarifying the purpose of one item: there's a rubber thingie that looks like a valve stem with a nut inside. You are expected to drill the front hole out after removing the clip and insert this thing. It was a hassle getting it together and quite frankly I'm not real sure what the hell purpose it serves. It sorta acts like a drywall screw in that the rubber pooches up when the screw is tightened down kinda acting like a little shock absorber I guess.

Drilling the hole larger

Good looking screen but way narrower than any screen I've seen yet - the Givi is even wider.
Mounted on the bike

Rider view

Difference in size between the F1 and the Ermax

So - the Ermax is narrower and definitely has no "ears" like the F1. As expected I lost protection for my hands which will be an issue in the cold. The screen is narrower - I did a hand feel in my airspoace to determine pattern and the airflow is pretty tight around my body. The airflow hits my outer biceps and at the top of my helmet (I'm 5'8"). The top is similar to the F1 in that it hits the very top but it seems to have a little less turbulence - which is very good. The airflow being so close to the sides of the helmet made for a little more noise. The screen clears teh brakes and mirrors no problem.
Not to sound too much like a nay-sayer - the screen works very good and all my quibbles are points compared to my F1. The F1 is wider and provides more of an envelope and more protection on the arms and hands. The Ermax does a good job of keeping air off the body and most of the helmet. It appears to be quiet and none of the micro turbulence I had with the Givi. It appears to be a little less sturdy than the F1 - I say this from flexing it - but in operation at 75 with turbulent wind it worked well and showed no signs of flexing from wind stresses. So am I happy with it? Yes. Do I like it better than the F1? Yes and no. I love the color which you can see in one shot acts like Hi-Vis shades, I like it's looks and fits better than the F1. The F1 I like better for it apparent sturdiness and excellent body coverage.

Translated instructions for those who decide to get one:
Disassemble the windshield remove the original clip threaded central fixation point and enlarge the hole until 09.5 mm set in place the rubber insert pictured

Replace the windshield above the original put in place that provided by inserting the rubber spacer between the two and secure with the screw and washer 5x30 05

attach the windshield with screws and spacers provided for the position of spacers pictured

There are two little small black things like a tall washer that you can see in the first shots that I could only surmise are if you don't want the longer spacers. Or perhaps the front spacers can be shorter so the screen stands up more (which would raise the air stream over the helmet maybe but maybe stress the plastic more). Anyway - spare parts now.
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
Oh - a minor assembly quibble - the front hole where the badge goes is too big for the screw. It really should have a sleeve to prevent it from wallowing in the hole. I plan on getting a rubber washer and putting under the screw.
@volosong avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 GTS 300, 2008 MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@volosong avatar
2010 GTS 300, 2008 MP3 500
UTC quote
Nice installation job. Good tint too. If you had to take a guess, how much taller would you think the Ermax is compared to a Givi screen?
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
Turned out nice, Jon. Thanks for the pics and update. I agree, the color is an enhancement to the red and black.

You say it's sturdy enough but it looks like those few mounting screws are minimalist.

How much space left between the windscreen and the original windscreen (black) on top? Any room for instrumentation or display at all?
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
I like the profile better than the F-1 and the color is nice too.
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
volosong wrote:
Nice installation job. Good tint too. If you had to take a guess, how much taller would you think the Ermax is compared to a Givi screen?
It's shorter. The Givi interfered with my straight ahead line of sight. The Ermax is about 2-3" shorter than that but much better in air deflection (I'm not a big Givi fan - sold mine to luthorhuss)
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
BravoTwoFour wrote:
Turned out nice, Jon. Thanks for the pics and update. I agree, the color is an enhancement to the red and black.

You say it's sturdy enough but it looks like those few mounting screws are minimalist.

How much space left between the windscreen and the original windscreen (black) on top? Any room for instrumentation or display at all?
Anything intended to mount on the 500 will need to use those 5 mount points. So even with that adjustable screen Cagedodger is testing or the Givi - it still has to use those screw holes which are metal clips on tupperware. Not awe inspiring fer sure but it's what we have. The spacers are about an inch long and so that's the space between except at the bottom of course where the front single screw is located. I dunno if you can see but the screen actually hugs the center plastic on the sides which is a big help in locating the screen - the F1 just kinda laid there like you splatted a stingray on top of the stock cowl.
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC quote
BubbaJon wrote:
BravoTwoFour wrote:

Anything intended to mount on the 500 will need to use those 5 mount points. So even with that adjustable screen Cagedodger is testing or the Givi - it still has to use those screw holes which are metal clips on tupperware. Not awe inspiring fer sure but it's what we have. The spacers are about an inch long and so that's the space between except at the bottom of course where the front single screw is located. I dunno if you can see but the screen actually hugs the center plastic on the sides which is a big help in locating the screen - the F1 just kinda laid there like you splatted a stingray on top of the stock cowl.
one key feature of cage dodgers is that the entire spoiler is replaced with a metal duplicate of the plastic one.
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
luthorhuss wrote:
BubbaJon wrote:
BravoTwoFour wrote:

one key feature of cage dodgers is that the entire spoiler is replaced with a metal duplicate of the plastic one.
It *still* screws into the same tupperware. It's all only as strong as the weakest link...
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
BTW - I saw an interesting "Air deflector" on a Harley in the student parking that has a similar flex adjuster as the one CageDodger is playing with - except it fastens to the handlebars! It actually looks like it should be cheap and work pretty good. Piece of cake to remove...
@cagedodger avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
NC700XD

Molto Verboso
@cagedodger avatar
NC700XD
UTC quote
BubbaJon wrote:
It *still* screws into the same tupperware. It's all only as strong as the weakest link...
The part that it screws into are some rather beefy tapped speed clips that take four M6 bolts. These bolts hold two sections of the front plastics together which in turn act like a cross brace system. The shroud (as well as the adapter plate that replaces it on the Madstad system) also rests on reinforced plastic ridges which add a good bit of structure to the entire assembly. The stock shroud is pretty well secured. Both the Ermax and the Madstad make efforts to beef up the front trim screw (the stock screw, which doesn't have to bear any force, is a trim screw in a flimsy speed clip). The Ermax uses a well nut, which allows for some flex. I used a tapped clip nut with a bolt to secure my home made shield and then used to mount the Madstad plate. The Madstad might end up with well nuts as well; it uses them to mount the shield to the brackets whereas I had to do some trimming on the clip nut that I have installed.

I studied the dash shroud mounting points quite a bit while trying different windshields on the MP3 and those bolts will be fine. The only concern that I'd have for the Ermax is that it's not supported in the middle, which really isn't that big of a concern since it's bend gives it strength to keep it rigid. Actually, the other point I'd be concerned about is that the shield isn't laying flat on the fairing, but instead is lifted up with those nylon spacers. That doesn't make it weak, but having the shield sit directly on the fairing would add some strength to it.

Not that I'm criticizing the Ermax. That's a decent looking shield for a very fair price! If it were available for purchase back when I started experimenting, I might have gotten it. I'm glad that I didn't though because the adjustable shield just plain rocks.
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
Cagedodger wrote:
I'm glad that I didn't though because the adjustable shield just plain rocks.
I'll probably get one anyway if the price is right. I can prolly find a buyer for the Ermax if it is magnitudes better. I do wish the noise level was lower and am always on a quest to get it as low as possible. Seems weird that all to date have not been able to deflect over my helmet when I'm only 5'8". I can't imagine how miserable the 6' + guys are.
@rob_in_denver avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
@rob_in_denver avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
Some custom earplugs will make that noise issue a non issue, Jon, us old guys need to keep whatever hearing we got left.
A thing to note on the Ermax, if you look down from sort of a seated angle and peer in, you will see that the design already incorporates an air vent to
Help alleviate buffeting caused by the vacuum that we have been talking about on the adjustable shield thread.
After looking at mine again, I realized I have not created any more space with higher spacers, but the design was there already.
I am wondering if you are none the less, finding it turbulent? I did, and blamed it on the cool cut outs that allow the handlebars to move in when turning the wheels.
Others seem to think it was no issue. Wondered your opinion.
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
Rob In Denver wrote:
Some custom earplugs will make that noise issue a non issue, Jon, us old guys need to keep whatever hearing we got left.
A thing to note on the Ermax, if you look down from sort of a seated angle and peer in, you will see that the design already incorporates an air vent to
Help alleviate buffeting caused by the vacuum that we have been talking about on the adjustable shield thread.
After looking at mine again, I realized I have not created any more space with higher spacers, but the design was there already.
I am wondering if you are none the less, finding it turbulent? I did, and blamed it on the cool cut outs that allow the handlebars to move in when turning the wheels.
Others seem to think it was no issue. Wondered your opinion.
Yes - as I mentioned on the other thread they do have a vent to alleviate turbulence and it works well - no turbulence at all.
@rob_in_denver avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
@rob_in_denver avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
I seem unable to keep up of late! Sorry for being redundent!
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
Rob In Denver wrote:
I seem unable to keep up of late! Sorry for being redundent!
de nada - not what I meant, sorry - I was just saying that we were having this conversation and it was funny it was popping up here too. Turbulence and noise are the two bugaboos we'd all like to get rid of...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0598s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0155s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]